and starting the schlutter-kerdi fabric stuff:

34821246015_7a75e73342_k.jpg

back wall done:

34434880790_1f6d84592f_k.jpg

and done:

34658134282_ee014976a7_k.jpg

starting the tile on the back wall:

34658134272_3f93573014_k.jpg

and a little bit before this on the bottom row...realized even though i left over a quarter inch to spare when i measured and cut....i still was a quarter inch too much.... :angry:

so out came my buddy's tile score/cutter thing.  annnnddd...after breaking the tile in question and two more after that.....i went out and bought a tile saw.  i wish i would have bought it in the first place as opposed to renting one.  it's a cheapy $89 skill saw from lowes and it would have been easier to do my cuts then the rental.  it's just a table saw with a water reservoir that the blade constantly sits in to cool off.  would have made doing the big cuts where i hit the upright arm of the rental non-existent.  lessons learned...but now i have a tile saw.

anwyay, didn't get the whole thing tiled like i wanted to because of the saw fiasco and having to cut a quarter inch off of all the tiles on the left edge...we broke for the day after completing the whole back wall.  i will say, i'm really excited to see how this all turns out.  not all the tiles are as "level" (flat/flush) as i would have liked but since it's a shower wall i don't think it will ever be noticeable or annoying.  

33977934754_3750896461_k.jpg

34821245925_9b66152e61_k.jpg

34434880640_81a354881b_k.jpg

not sure if i'm going to attempt doing one wall a night this week or save it for the weekend.  i'd love to be able to grout this weekend and get the door hung so i can actually shower like a normal person next week.  the garage shower works, but it's weird showing next to a car then walking back into a bathroom to get ready.

Looking great Ryan! I just bought a tile saw myself. I had a small table-style one like you mentioned, but I was having a really hard time cutting 20x20 tiles on it. I ended up buying the Harbor Freight 10" tile saw. If you ever find yourself needing a bigger saw, I definitely recommend it. I think all in all I had around $250 or so invested in the saw and stand after throwing a 20% off coupon on it. The really nice added bonus is it can cut pavers/stone up to 3.5", so if I ever get into any outdoor stuff it'll be nice to have.

I would wait till the weekend to keep tiling, unless your evenings are long. I know I only end up with a couple hours or so of actual free time each night during the week, and I've tried tiling in that time frame before. IMO I was too rushed and found myself way more stressed about it than necessary. For tiling, I usually prefer to have a full day to dedicate to it so I can take my time, mix up thinset in smaller batches so I don't have to race the clock, and have plenty of time to clean everything up nicely afterwards.

Is the rest of the bathroom getting a renovation along with the shower?

@95riosnake the plan has always been to redo the whole thing eventually.  but when we started this, it was to just do the shower since it was leaking.  but now since i had to take more of the walls out than i had planned, we are going to do the whole thing.  might wait on the vanity because of how expensive they are and she's currently not working too much.  current plan is to bead board over where the tiles were instead of cutting out all the drywall and redoing it.  we already have flooring for it.  got nu core waterproof luxury vinyl when we got the tile so we could match it.  

22 hours ago, Prokiller said:

@95riosnake the plan has always been to redo the whole thing eventually.  but when we started this, it was to just do the shower since it was leaking.  but now since i had to take more of the walls out than i had planned, we are going to do the whole thing.  might wait on the vanity because of how expensive they are and she's currently not working too much.  current plan is to bead board over where the tiles were instead of cutting out all the drywall and redoing it.  we already have flooring for it.  got nu core waterproof luxury vinyl when we got the tile so we could match it.  

I understand about the vanity, it's insane how expensive they can be. Beadboard will look pretty classy too, and much less work than doing all that drywall.

didn't get to work on it at all during the week so we hit it hard saturday.

34185612623_ee26b4e316_k.jpg

34956512936_a11d1b96f2_k.jpg

finished tiling and had some leftover mortar to throw some in the messed up door frame to the garage

34956512786_84ecdd4cd9_k.jpg

sunday we did a car show, a decent hike in valley forge, lunch outside and cocktails at a distillery.  #patrioticpuppy

34864353321_62bab7e361_k.jpg

monday we grouted.

34185612653_4ff3251eac_k.jpg

34153334584_cc28fce732_k.jpg

still wet in this pic so its darker:

34153334574_05c6b6c914_k.jpg

and dried.  waiting a day or so before we put the door up and can finally use it again.  want to give the grout time to cure.

34185612643_f4f9f9b103_k.jpg

Door is on.  caulked up the corners with color matching caulk.  it has a 72 dry time so waiting till tonight to do the shower pan base and ceiling joints with white till it had a chance to setup.  didn't want to try and do both and get mixing and it turn out weird.  the white is only 24hr so i'll do that and still have to wait for the grey to cure.

34950964622_d55721cb74_k.jpg

34984677631_8358899505_k.jpg

• Like 1

the wife got ansy apparently.  two days of the shower being done and i came home yesterday to this...

35177636992_43fa8908cf_k.jpg

35304885556_eb3b68fab2_k.jpg

35344957545_95a6086cf6_k.jpg

34957330470_3c0b099026_k.jpg

guess i'll be continuing right along on the bathroom renovation.  @Shifty might have a good hookup for the beadboard that we'll be using to cover up where the tiles were. 

I just went from start to finish on this.  I am so jealous of all the garage space.  I close on my first house next week.  I am excited!

Great job updating everything.  Million times better than what it was.  Sometimes it pays to just go back and look where you started so you can really appreciate what you've done.

On 6/23/2017 at 9:58 AM, Shifty said:

HAHA! A little antsy huh? Looks like it!

Still love that shower door! So cool you got that one. How was it installing? @Prokiller

HA! I forgot about #patrioticpuppy

Hi pat <3 :)

On 6/23/2017 at 9:58 AM, Shifty said:

HAHA! A little antsy huh? Looks like it!

Still love that shower door! So cool you got that one. How was it installing? @Prokiller

HA! I forgot about #patrioticpuppy

worst part was drilling through the tiles because they are ceramic tiles.  need to use a diamond tipped hole saw.  takes F O R E V E R to get through it.  and the glass is heavy.  but really it was easy to do.

with the help of @Shifty, we picked up a free couch.  was one of the wife's clients gave it to us because they are redoing their basement and got a sectional.  thing is only a couple years old and looks brand new.

35165020040_aa07fe6897_k.jpg

and the dog already claiming his spot.

as for the bathroom.  the trim is removed now as well.  going to pickup a new window hopefully this weekend.  never replaced a window before so should be fun.  that and going to try and pick up drywall to replace the removed parts and the beadboard.

On 6/30/2017 at 3:23 PM, Evilcw311 said:

Tew not sure if you seen my message on the other place but let me know before you buy any cameras, security, audio/video or anything of that nature. I can get you my pricing and have it at will call at adi. 

I replied to you over there.  I wish I would have thought about that before.  But I am sure I will need more stuff in time lol

not anymore pics but we did get the new anderson 200 series window and all the supplies to finish the bathroom over the weekend.  well...not finish finish it because we still need to decide on a vanity and mirror/lights.  but all the drywall, paneling, and trim is all ready to go.

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 7:08 PM, Evilcw311 said:

I'll be there in October, but unfortunately I won't have time to help much!!!  :-(

All good!

That's a damn nice couch, especially for free! Looks like the bathroom should be finished up before long. I really need to get around to updating my thread with what I've been up to, just been too busy recently :(

6 hours ago, Yeahloh95 said:

ryan I found a table on Monday can you go pick it up for me ?

sure thing.  just paypal me the 7grand and i'll go get it.

5 hours ago, 95riosnake said:

That's a damn nice couch, especially for free! Looks like the bathroom should be finished up before long. I really need to get around to updating my thread with what I've been up to, just been too busy recently :(

i've been putting it off a bit because i want to just focus on it and get it done rather than spurts like i was.  i have the first week of august off to work on it.  so that's the plan, unless i get too annoyed with it in the meantime.  i know she is really anxious to keep working on it...

made some headway on the bathroom yesterday.  pulled out the old window and got a new anderson 200 series in there.

found out after taking the window out that the house had original wood windows in it.  the PO put these newer ones in as a retrofit, but the way they did it was to just remove the window and use the frame as the new window size.  sooooo much flashing to make it work it was nuts trying to pull it all out.

35026789933_c378632aef_k.jpg

ended up having to break a piece off because otherwise i would have had to tear into the siding to get all the flashing off to get the brickmold off to get to this piece.  screw that.  brickmold is behind that bit of flashing on the left with the nail still in it.

the new window was the right width, but smaller in height by a couple inches.  we were okay with this as it was an off the shelf item as opposed to waiting 4-6 weeks for a custom one.  i had cut a 2x4 down to space it up and then test fit with only that one side bit being removed.  ended up being too tight so had to cut out the other side as well.  this is the gap that it left.  i left it because it was nothing a little foam can't seal.

35026789943_3d4d790bfc_k.jpg

tried to keep some of the original flashing there and bent it up to enclose the 2x4 a bit.

34996344354_73f2e96a08_k.jpg

the thing to note here is that 2x4 and flashing are now at the same place as the side.  the new window apparently is a new construction window which means its all mounted from the outside.  meaning it needs a flush mount on all 4 sides.  having the window smaller and having to space it up with the 2x4 actually really saved my bacon.  bank error in my favor!!  you can also see the brickmold behind the flashing on this side.

35796122406_afa1230921_k.jpg

had to make a lowes run to get some new flashing though as the original stuff wasn't enough to really cover it.  and then swung over to eastwood to pick up a new toy.  been wanting to get one for a while now so i said screw it, i need it to do this job right.  only a little 20" one but it'll do 18gauge.  overkill for this job, but future proofed now :)

34996344544_7fe68bb6a1_k.jpg

35026790013_5c12a6a875_k.jpg

had to do two pieces to make it work so i overlapped it a good 5".

35796122356_a162aa1f40_k.jpg

and the window mounted.  should have taken a pic from outside but didn't think about it until i already had it all together.  maybe i'll go out and grab a pic tonight.  i want to check on the caulking anyway.

35796122456_d58f14c205_k.jpg

and then foamed the inside....put a little too much on it seems.  it actually expanded vertically up the frame somehow.  no clue how that happened...

35667515352_5587358970_k.jpg

i'll trim all that off once it's cured so it's not a big deal.

not pictured was i also cut down some 2x4s and put them in place so we can start putting drywall back up on the damaged/moldy areas.

boy you did that the hard way you wanted replacement windows they scew in the sides and a have things built in to take up the gaps and you just needed to pack them with insulation on the sides i'll send you pics of the ones we just did

all and all, it really wasn't that bad.  i think doing the doors were more of a PITA than this window was.  it actually went in really easy.  

here's the outside pic.  i caulked the hell out of it.  used more than half the tube on it.  doesn't look that nice but i don't care because you can't see it unless you climb out on the roof.  when i do the front windows obviously i'll take more time/care.  this time i was more concerned about water penetration than looks.

35815720366_d8ea63e65f_k.jpg