Prokiller

Full Moon Friday Garage w/ attached house

this past weekend i redid the roof on the shed.  it was really bad and leaking a few places.

before:

0B1EA3C7-066D-4C7C-93EB-5DB1F23F825C_zps

AA8079A5-A67D-4B12-A809-082D0D9BA0BF_zps

i really should have taken more pictures but i was too focused on actually getting it done in the daylight.  started saturday at like 11am pulling all the shingles off.  they were only stapled on and no tar paper.  tore both sides off and pulled all the leftover staples off by like 2.  rolled down two passes of tar paper and stapled them down on the back side of the shed. laid down a couple rows of shingles while my dad was here to help and make sure i was doing it right.

sunday laid the rest of the tar paper down and finished the back side of the roof's shingles.  then moved onto the front.  finished nailing it all down and then put the ridge shingles down and glued down any bits that were sticking up and over some nail heads that weren't quite covered.  called it a night because it was just getting too damn cold.  dropped down to 38 and windy.

2C11C8F3-3324-464D-BDA2-4B74B1FC00C5_zps

3D189285-45C4-4229-8B84-380BA7F37DE9_zps

15F68210-1E9B-4886-B7B9-1D1822AC8BC0_zps

monday i finished cutting the hang over edges off and picking up the rest of the old shingles for trash.  in all, filled 11 big construction bags of shingles.  still have 4 to throw out next week.

the finished product:

51F21CC1-BFB9-44CC-B0FE-71462560EB0B_zps

today i'm going to try and hang my tire rack in the garage.

Looks great, Ryan!  That is such a nice sized shed.

it is.  the plan is to give it some love next summer.  going to put some small shutters on it after i redo the the trim work.  shouldn't have to replace it but it definitely needs to be stripped/sanded/painted.  then run some electricity to it.  probably put some lights on each side of the garage door.  the ultimate plan is to turn it into half lawn tool storage and half wood working shop.  would like to have an area to work on some wood projects without filling a garage with saw dust..

• Moderators

Makes me want to build a bigger shed, although I would never be able to get a woodshop out there so I would be stuck dealing with saw dust.  I still have sawdust all over the garage from floors a year ago.

The new roof looks great Ryan, that is a serious shed. The roof on the shed at our new house is a joke, and so is the shed. The whole thing leans to the right, has a 12" x 12" hole in the roof in the front right corner, etc. First time my dad saw the shed he said "Well, Bruno (previous owner) was definitely not a carpenter." lol. It's a cobbled together mess, I'm gonna tear it down and build new next summer most likely. For now it keeps most of the elements off the lawn tractor lol.

trying to ignore work for a few minutes here and there haven't been any updates from me on the housing projects.  over the holidays we ripped out the drop ceiling in the "basement" garage.  found a metric ton of mouse crap and and a horrible job of insulation.  so we ended up throwing it all away.

the pile was the size of a car easy:

32948414821_cf026a6c56_k.jpg

and then all the drop ceiling stuff removed.  this also includes some new LED lights i will be putting up.  threw those in temporarily in the old spots until i could re-do the wiring.

32919204412_3b87c14169_k.jpg

wiring ended up being more than i expected.  not the end of the world but had to re-do about half in the garage because the dude ran it on the rafters, not through through them.  most of it was just un-hooking, move it and hang it up properly, then re-connect.  don't have any pictures of it really.   i also hung new boxes for the lights i'll be installing.

new insulation going in with jasper's help of course... @Steve-Oh

32229752284_201e5268b2_k.jpg

32919204392_7b7618ecab_k.jpg

33033571676_8f092f1f5b_k.jpg

new insulation up:

32919204402_4b7241df39_k.jpg

spent last weekend throwing up the drywall since it was great weather:

32672350200_1a5e872dd2_k.jpg

32898425092_6155ad4422_k.jpg

still have to cut some pieces to reach to the beam and then do the front wall area yet.

the wife is getting a new job starting next monday so she wanted to make use of her last couple days off to paint the downstairs kitchen cabinets.  

32209023764_3776247af0_k.jpg

32209023744_e4b0907c34_k.jpg

we got new sconce lights for above the sink to install after the paint cures.  now to find new hinges and pulls to update the look.  my job tonight is to pull out the stove vent so we can get rid of that whole setup and move the fridge to that location.  then add another light from in the garage to the kitchen.  

Much better without the drop ceiling! It's a shame because the concept of drop ceiling is great for having access to the joists/rafters... if only it wasn't so damn ugly. Half our basement is drop ceiling, the other half is woodshop with exposed joists. I think I've definitely decided on just prepping and spraying it all white. I'd like to find a nicer looking drop ceiling tile for the finished side if possible at some point, because there's too much above it as far as plumbing, HVAC, etc. that I might need to get to in the future (and have already a few times).

• Moderators
On 2/25/2017 at 8:11 PM, 95riosnake said:

Much better without the drop ceiling! It's a shame because the concept of drop ceiling is great for having access to the joists/rafters... if only it wasn't so damn ugly. Half our basement is drop ceiling, the other half is woodshop with exposed joists. I think I've definitely decided on just prepping and spraying it all white. I'd like to find a nicer looking drop ceiling tile for the finished side if possible at some point, because there's too much above it as far as plumbing, HVAC, etc. that I might need to get to in the future (and have already a few times).

The place where I bought my tin backsplash makes drop ceilings that look awesome, and they're not that expensive.

On 2/25/2017 at 7:11 PM, 95riosnake said:

Half our basement is drop ceiling, the other half is woodshop with exposed joists. I think I've definitely decided on just prepping and spraying it all white.

My parents did painted joists in the basement in their old house that I grew up in as a kid.  Wiring, plumbing, all of it got painted.  The ceiling was so low (the house was built around 1900) that there wasn't really any other option that left much headroom.  It honestly looked really, really good when it was done.  I have no idea what if any adhesion promoter or paint the guy who did it used but we lived there probably 15 years with it painted like that and never had an issue with the finish.

Looks great, Ryan!  Huge improvement in the garage!  Love seeing updates on your home projects!

On 2/24/2017 at 5:22 AM, Yeahloh95 said:

very cool how much more till the truck fits ?

still have to rework the garage door itself.   the plan is to take out a panel (all currently 21") and put in two 18" panels.  this will put it back to where it was at one point and allow the entrance to be raised enough to get the truck in there.  

@Psychorugbyyou have a link for that place?  i want to replace the tiles in our basement too.  the plan is to put in tin tiles in the kitchen as well.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Prokiller said:

still have to rework the garage door itself.   the plan is to take out a panel (all currently 21") and put in two 18" panels.  this will put it back to where it was at one point and allow the entrance to be raised enough to get the truck in there.  

@Psychorugbyyou have a link for that place?  i want to replace the tiles in our basement too.  the plan is to put in tin tiles in the kitchen as well.

www.americantinceilings.com  

They're actually about 45 minutes south of me I found out after I paid to have it shipped.  I think we spent less than $300 to do our kitchen backsplash.

i took off last friday and spent some time in the garage just doing something i've wanted to make for a while now.  got tired of all the screw/nail boxes stacked up on a shelf above my workbench so i solved that problem.  i should have taken a bunch of build pictures but i was just enjoying myself.  cost all of $25 in wood.  now they are all organized and out of the way.

33677308386_6460808ded_k.jpg

and i realized i never posted up the finished kitchen pics.

33333897050_1b71e80808_k.jpg

33561879452_d77bb735de_k.jpg

33333897060_ae5c51d855_k.jpg

new sconce lights in there really help light it up.  and moving the fridge to where the stove was also made a HUGE difference in opening up the space.  now we really need to do something with the flooring. the plan is to get a new matching fridge black friday or sooner depending on sales.

21 minutes ago, Psychorugby said:

Love the screw box rack.  I am going to steal that one!

i used a piece of 1x6x6ft pine and a 1/4x2'x4' piece of birch for the slats.  cut two pieces off the pine for the horizontals and then ripped the rest down the middle for the verticals.  worked out quite well.  ended up using my circular saw instead of the table saw for the shelf cuts because i could see it better.  radial arm saw would have been ideal, but i don't have one (yet).  some glue and a couple screws and it was all done.

I agree the rack looks cool, I can sympathize with having tons of fastener boxes. I have two full drawers of fastener boxes in the garage and a few more boxes sitting on top of the work bench still lol.

Cabinets look great, really updated that space. You should wrap the dishwasher and fridge in CF vinyl lol. Kidding, but not totally because it would look awesome.

1 hour ago, 95riosnake said:

I agree the rack looks cool, I can sympathize with having tons of fastener boxes. I have two full drawers of fastener boxes in the garage and a few more boxes sitting on top of the work bench still lol.

Cabinets look great, really updated that space. You should wrap the dishwasher and fridge in CF vinyl lol. Kidding, but not totally because it would look awesome.

you joke about CF, but when we were looking at handles, there was this one that was carbon fiber and i was sooo close to getting them instead of these. 

CF would defnitely contrast well against the white cabinets, and being it's a second kitchen, it wouldn't be a bad thing if it had more of a man cave feel to it (as much as I absolutely hate the term "man cave" lol)

48 minutes ago, Tabres said:

Kitchen looks great!  My wife would dig the sconces.  She's been after putting some in our house, anywhere, but they're just not my style.

we couldn't find any true sconce lights that we liked at all.  ended up getting these.  they are external lights turned upside down.  you'd never know it unless you really looked at them.

spent a lot of time in the garage this weekend cleaning it up and straightening things up.  call it a spring cleaning.

but first things first.  since the wife shot down my carbon fiber pulls for the basement kitchen, i pimped the fridge while she was at work.

33571184763_8137b6e1b3_k.jpg

34340194916_9ac9c2d15b_k.jpg

since we moved it to where the stove was, the door opened the wrong direction and it was really annoying.  so while i switched it around, i took the liberty of painting the crap wood grain pieces flat black and then wrapped the emblems in leftover carbon fiber vinyl from the truck's panels.  the strip also had wood grain so i put pieces of vinyl there too.  it's actually about 5 pieces but i matched the cross section up and you can barely see the seam.  

now back to the garage work.  you may remember the old Filko cabinet i got from my Dad.  well i finally got around to thoroughly cleaning it out and installing it properly to the wall.  

base cabinet before:

33571186493_aa2ff3232a_k.jpg

34340195476_e512e47fc6_k.jpg

and all of it after.  i should have taken more pictures.  surprisingly, it's in a lot better shape then i thought it was.  there is some rust, but seems all surface rust.  the bottom of the top cabinet was bent up and i thought pretty bad.  it's really not at all.  i straightened it out.  perhaps one of these days i'll actually strip it all down and paint it up again.  but for right now, i kinda like the patina look.

34340195366_575119b1d5_k.jpg

i had already started to fill it, but you'll notice on the upper left, there is some original parts that we still had.  of course those are put back in their proper place.

and the outside closed up

34223079542_310e6462bc_k.jpg

and with the new to me table that i got from my mom's work.  remodeling an office and they were going to pitch it.  

34340195346_ca583d2fc7_k.jpg

air hoses ready and waiting to be put to good use...

and already getting put to good use.

34381464385_9eb43ba056_k.jpg

i've since filled it even more with odds and ends from cleaning out my parts storage boxes.  little bits are now all in there and larger this are mostly sorted.  will probably get a pic of that soon.

and then the next project that i started last night.  some might also remember, i had this ugly ass 70's dresser from the previous owner who left it there.  i hated it but it was useful for a time...  I had pulled it out of the way to do the above with the full intention of getting rid of it.  but then i got to thinking...i wanted a closed cabinet for my cleaning rags/towels and such.  so why not reuse this thing and paint it up moar betta?  i wanted it at the other side of the garage where i have my cleaning supplies.  but it was too tall for that.  but nothing a circular saw couldn't fix...

34250582491_9e0702766d_k.jpg

and of course no post is complete with out the dog.  #withjasper @Steve-Oh

34340195306_bc315db36d_k.jpg

he actually jumped right in there when i put the garage bed in it.  might actually put some trim on it and finish it.  who knows...

got it all cleaned up and threw on a first coat of paint.  the paint was from the upstairs kitchen cabinets that we did that came out waaaaayyyy too purple.  so we have practically a full gallon of it.  figured why not.  still looks very purple-y so the wife is thinking about painting it black instead (left over from the master bedroom accent wall).  pics to come of that.  

2 hours ago, Yeahloh95 said:

HEY where did you get that amp on the table beside the fiko cabinet ?

some guy who owns more non-driving mustangs than anybody else i know.:ph34r:

Ugh Jasper is the best!  So fucking adorable.  

Cabinets look great Ryan!  Agreed you should definitely finish that cabinet base for a raised Jasper bed!  Looks like he loves it. 

garage projects have been put on hold for the bathroom remodel.  it was always the plan to get this done this year...but didn't expect to have to start it this soon.  reason being, the tiles were starting to pull off the wall.  so we had to put the basement garage ceiling and the heater install on hold.

we had went and got tiles and new flooring a couple weeks back from Floor & Decor.  that place is almost scary with how much money you can spend there.  like a kid in a candy store.  so many things i would like to do.

anyway, on to the pictures.  demo began last friday...who installs tiles over wall paper??!?!?

34536727945_28e6f4ec0a_k.jpg

34151562070_cf62ddac28_k.jpg

34406509571_3ca4ddf94d_k.jpg

34375825002_88a0a4d761_k.jpg

34151356080_b7a973fdfe_k.jpg

34495416206_fa874d61be_k.jpg

the whole area at the tub seem was like mud.  it was soaking wet.

and found a whole lot of this...

34536575275_7e45b3c2fa_k.jpg

the entire back of the drywall (yes drywall, they installed tiling with it seems like glue on drywall...no wonder it leaked) was covered in black mold.  Which in and of itself isn't the end of the world unless it has while "blooms" on it.  which we found.  so we made a few phone calls.  had a guy come out and kill it all and seal it saturday.  expensive yes; probably not completely necessary; but i also bought piece of mind that it won't come back.  

here you can see how much we had to demo around the area to get it all out.  and what i did to keep it contained was to obviously wear masks the whole time, pull a draft from the floor opening to the basement and a fan in the window blowing out.  it was quite effective actually.  you couldn't look through the floor hole because of the air coming through it. 

34375899342_fe8af2001b_k.jpgUntitled by r d, on Flickr

pulling out a cast iron tub is loads of fun.

34495329596_4b3eb5daa6_k.jpg

all killed and sealed.

34375757892_333647f27c_k.jpg

34406851241_b8985ce184_k.jpg

test fitting new shower pan

34544169791_daabafb0e6_k.jpg

which is now set in about an inch of mortar and leveled.  

i redid the plumbing on saturday with sharkbite fittings.  i did some research on it and since i have access to everything, i said why not. i would have spent more in the equipment to do solder in the new fittings than what i spent in these.  and they are removable.  figured why not.

34633640946_64be36d49f_k.jpg

sunday the plan was to install all the hardibacker and cut the tiles.  i rented a tile saw for the day to do this.  after three sheets in, i realized it was taking to long to do this.  so stopped here:

34544167221_214da67e15_k.jpg

two on the back wall, one on the left wall.  a scrap piece can be seen in the plumbing pic so i could take measurements.

put down some string lines in the driveway so we could use to play with the tiles and lay it all out how we want then cut the ends.

34544168081_8db91e7475_k.jpg

34289525490_e66976e78a_k.jpg

the glass accent tile row really pops in the sun:

34633641616_f6b50a9e5a_k.jpg

mostly laid out

33831912344_2331562f97_k.jpg

and numbered

33864647813_1cdf872fb1_k.jpg

now ready and waiting

33831912034_3eb5c0ba60_k.jpg

of course it rained on the parade just when we finished up the back wall and had to move into the garage.  brought in the tiles from the back wall that these will be up against to make sure it looks right and the sizes align up.

33831911924_a9fe021c6a_k.jpg

and the right (plumbing wall)  #withjasper @Steve-Oh

34289525290_5d6f752fbb_k.jpg

34289526740_f106f92988_k.jpg

and this is where we stopped last night at 9pm.  i'm exhausted and very sore.  these tiles are decently heavy for being this big and bending over all day long.  going to put the rest of backer on some nights this week in the hope to be ready for sunday to throw the tiles on the wall.

• Like 1

Damn that sucks about the mold, been there but with part of our attic. We had to shell out $2500 the day we closed on the house to have it remediated. All because when they put a new roof on they didn't put a ridge vent on that portion of the roof.

I feel your pain on the tile, it's very tedious, stressful work but the payoff is always worth it. When you finish grouting and take a step back, it's immensely satisfying. I've been working on our living room and just finished laying some big 20x20 slate finish porcelain tiles on the fireplace hearth. That shit will work up a sweat in no time. Looking forward to seeing the finished bathroom! I like the tile choice...especially compared to the old tile lol.

went out and got different mortar last night.  we're doing the schluter-kerdi stuff behind the tile and didn't realize you have to use unmodified mortar with that.  swapped out the w/ polymer for unmodified and a different trowel.  current plan is to put the rest of the barker board up tonight and/or tomorrow night.  friday will be installing the kerdi stuff and giving that a day to cure to be on the safe side.  then sunday throwing up the tile.  

Ugh all the mold!!  Sucks man but good you nipped it in the butt right away so it won't spread.  

Look at him!!  All stretching and shit!!  He's my favorite dog that isn't my own!  

Love the tile choice.  Definitely a nightmare of a project with the mold but it's going to look awesome in the end.  Can't wait to see some finished photos!