frank830

need advice on what mod to put on my mustang and how to make it look better

2 members have voted

1. 1. which mods to put on my 1994 mustang gt

• how to make my mustang look better
    • what should I do to the engine to make it strongee and whay parts should I upgrade

• Supporting Member

Lol ok so what if the engine is great?

What do you recommend I do to it?

It will be for the street but I will also have fun with it burnout and things like that

I suggest to follow what everyone else is saying here. Good centrifugal blower aka a p1sc or si trim vortech and of course supporting mods also mentioned here and enjoy.

Fuck that. Rent the tool from auto zone and do it yourself. Good learning experience lol

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I completely agree I just dont assume people want to do this on their own. 

• Supporting Member

Oh ok :)

But would I have to worry about the engine wearing out or breaking with the blower?

Or are the Mustang engines strong for it?

In my experience this is a multifaceted question. Simple answer is yes they are somewhat strong. Long answer is it depends on combo, TUNE TUNE TUNE TUNE TUNE, did I mention tune? Lastly there is always added stress when you are forcing your air pump of an engine to alter atmosphere but bottom line you have to ask yourself if the thrill is worth the risk. Most of us say yes. 

• Supporting Member

Oh ok :)

About how much rwhp would I be looking at with a blower?

350?

I wouldnt shoot for that much as the stock heads, intake and cam dont breathe too well. It can be done, but I would shoot for 7-8 psi on an SI trim vortech and assume you will be around 310-320 rwhp and very streetable. 

• Supporting Member

Oh ok I guess my thing is I dont know what its like to have 320, 350, or 450 rwhp

Oh ok I guess my thing is I dont know what its like to have 320, 350, or 450 rwhp

Precisely why I would start small. Dont try and go all out now, just do something simple and proven and gain experience then go up from there. 

• Moderators

Precisely why I would start small. Dont try and go all out now, just do something simple and proven and gain experience then go up from there. 

Unlike what I am doing (stock to 6-700hp).  I'm going to have to relearn how to drive lol.

400-450+ whp in our cars is going to feel like quite a bit to someone not used to driving something fast.  Our cars chassis aren't as refined as the newer stuff that's built to handle a lot more power from the factory.  I'd say once you get 500-550whp+ the car is going to be a real handful.  Unfortunately whatever power level you have you'll eventually get used to it and want even more.  I'm just guessing though, I don't think my car is even at 400whp yet but with the torque of the Kenne Bell the power is plenty in the lower gears to blow off the tires.

My engine is basically stock for now

I was going to get my cars engine checked out with a compression test ans what not,

If it's still healthy I was thinking of putting a e303 cam with hopefully O/R h pipe and a Mac catback exhaust. I want the e303 cam because I love the way it sounds and so I can just enjoy it for now until later on in a year hopefully rebuild the whole engine and get another transmission

Anyone have that cam on a stock engine?

And what did you notice was the difference after putting it on?

And can anyone give me advice on what to do to make the top of the engine look better, or what paint to use to make it match I hate how the intake is dark blue, the cap of the distributor is light blue and the msd ignition coil is red :/

post-536-0-92061400-1391978762_thumb.jpg

wire management and simple green to make the engine look better, powder coating parts also helps. The E303 cam is a pretty old cam design thats been around for a long time. There are better cams out there that will give you more bang for your buck.

The e303 cam arguably is outdated and the are many better cam profiles out there for your car. What do you think the e stands for (emissions) so if emissions are not an issue for you i would go with the trick flow stage 1 or comp XE264 both are good cams that will allow you to grow into bigger heads and intakes. And I've always practiced when upgrading cams especially with stock valve springs to replace the valve springs with ones with a seat and open pressure close to what the cam manufacture specifics. This also will help prevent valve float coil bind and breakage and many other bad things lol.

It's an old cam but people seem to make pretty good power with it.  I'd say to wait on the cam until you do heads and intake since otherwise it's going to be a lot of time/money for little/no power gain.  If you do want to do the cam now i'd suggest stronger valve springs to match and probably a tune as well or it may not run great.

Ok thanks OnyxCobra

I just want that old school muscle car iddle sound

Just something to enjoy the sound of

The n-41 sounds almost the same as the e303, I couldn't find the sound of the n-61 though

Whats the difference between the e, b, n its like they have a cam with the alphabet lol

The guy that will rebuild my engine suggested the trick flow stage 3 but I know that's too much for now since its stock

Some more hp will be nice if it came with the old muscle car sound

And does tunning it really help?

Lets say I get idk the trick flow stage 1 cam

And the stronger valve springs

O/R h pipe

Mac catback exhaust 2.5

I have shorty headers

4.10 gears

CAI

Msd igntion coil ( I dont know if it matters)

And I got it tuned would all those things help a good amount

Just guessing

So are you doing a cam just for the sound or are you doing it for a power upgrade to go along w/ future mods?  Tuning always helps over what there is for a stock tune but all depends on who does it and what you have done to the car.

With stock heads and intake with a tune you are looking at 15-20 hp. And a tune is a must with are cars because are computer programs cause a bad chasing/dieing problem with cams based on how the computer monitors incoming air.

You have to remember that the cam is ideally the last piece in the puzzle.  and by puzzle i mean application.  it will tie in everything;  gears,  transmission, intake, heads, ignition, even tire size.  It will also take into account the purpose of the car - weekend warrior, street strip, daily driver / only vehicle.  

With that being said, everyone already mentioned that the E303 is dated.  It is.  Technology has come a long way since that profile has been popular.  You can get a cam for around the same price that will work with the SN95 computer and doesn't need a tuning device to regain drivability.  

From your post I'm thinking that you just want that lopey muscle car sound.  I suggest  you start with exhaust, and add some 1.72 rockers to the heads.  The rockers will free up a few ponies and the additional lift will help with performance a bit.  Its a pretty easy upgrade.  The exhaust will also help with the sound. 

now when it comes to what exhaust to choose - have fun with that!!!  

Thats where I was going with it. If your just doing it for sound then you can get what you want with just the right exhaust system set up. If your doing a cam just for sound while leaving the heads / intake stock then your taking a step back b/c if you ever upgrade those then you will either have to base the parts you choose off from the E303 or change the cam again and buying a cam twice. Buying any part twice sucks ask me how I know. Decide what direction you want to go with the car and pick parts that best suit that. Granted everyone makes changes on projects or directions they take but its better off to have an overall idea of what you want then to just start buying parts w/ no goal set.

I've heard several times that doing a cam in an otherwise stock engine can actually cost you power, especially the low end torque we all love.  And even if the cam is computer compatible it doesn't always mean you can just throw it in without a tune and call it a day, my car went through days were sometimes it would run perfectly and other times it acted like a brat.

It's really hard to describe the different sounds mufflers make especially when volume and description varies so much between different people.  if you can't hear the exhaust in person the online clips are the best way to get a good idea of what it will sound like.  If you have more specific questions about a specific muffler some of us may be able to give you a better idea on it's sound.

My opinion is that the non chambered mufflers or straight through style have a more crisp sound than a chambered and don't have as much drone.

Hey, I have the MAC SS on my Mach1 and there is absolutly no drone! Had Flowmaster and it droned really bad. Now the MAC does have issues with fit on the install as I had to have a mufler shop does some work to make it fit well. Now I like the chambered exhaust sound so that is why I picked MAC. But the Mag Flow sound is good also and the fit is good.I just like that chambered exhaust sound esp on a 4 valve motor. I have no drone.

The mac flowpaths are problaby the best flowing chambered mufflers made witch prolly helps reduce drone. I don't personally know about there stainless system but I have heard of pore quality and fit from many people on the normal mac systems.

The mac flowpaths are problaby the best flowing chambered mufflers made witch prolly helps reduce drone. I don't personally know about there stainless system but I have heard of pore quality and fit from many people on the normal mac systems.

Yup, the fit was very crappy. Spent $200.00 at the mufler shop to get it right. But it is 409 SS and it does look good on the car now. Sound is exactly what I like. Next will be a MRT cated H to go with it.

Again, I feel you want the sound and I can understand. I do miss the sound of my Fox and it basically had the Trickflow top end. All the guys on the Fox Body Forum guided me away from any alphabet cams and I settled on the TFS Stage 1 which sounded good, but I admit the E-303 sounds fantastic. As far as making your engine bay look better, a wire tuck is a must. Check out my Fox Body build as it may lend you some ideas. It wasn't perfect but it was a rushed/budgeted-ish build.

http://www.pennmustangs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16256

Here are some examples of the Trickflow cam lope. I had SLP LM1's and I loved them. Sure it got rid of the Mustang tone but it was pretty darn loud.