Lazer_Red

Fordstrokers 347

Well I have gone back and forth with what to do with the motor in my 94. I have decided to build a 347 and keep it n/a. My goal Is 400 whp with 190 11r heads and custom cam. I am looking at woody's 347 in the stock block. With my goals I shouldn't have to worry about the block right? The car is going to be a street car with a 1/4 mile and auto cross once or twice a year.

Kris

400 should be no problem as long as the tune is on. Have you ever thought about when you want more power? At 400 you're running out of room to grow quickly on the stock block limitations

400 should be no problem as long as the tune is on. Have you ever thought about when you want more power? At 400 you're running out of room to grow quickly on the stock block limitations

this I'm really wishing I would have went with a better block because I'm sorta close to 400whp n/a and if I went with forced induction my block with hinder me greatly, and already want more power haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the quick replys, I guess I will be saving alittle longer for the dart block. I figured I was going to need it but its the extra 2000 upfront that sucks. In the long run if the block lets go then I will have 2500 of scrap metal so its better to spend now and not worry later. Any tips on building a strong n/a 347?

Thanks for your time

Kris.

+100000000 on Dart block. When I put the 347 in my car, I kept telling myself I'll be happy staying N/A and had no plans of any boost. About a year after that, I started the procharger install... now I'm facing the inevitable and planning to upgrade to a Dart before too long. It's really easy to outgrow a stock 302 block, and if I had it to do again, I'd save up my pennies for another year and do it right the first time.

i say build it , as long as you keep the rpm in check the stock block  will be ok , and then save up have the dart block machined and put your 347 kit in it down the road and boost away

+100000000 on Dart block. When I put the 347 in my car, I kept telling myself I'll be happy staying N/A and had no plans of any boost. About a year after that, I started the procharger install... now I'm facing the inevitable and planning to upgrade to a Dart before too long. It's really easy to outgrow a stock 302 block, and if I had it to do again, I'd save up my pennies for another year and do it right the first time.

this, lol I thought I'd be content staying n/a now I'm looking for boost; so much for that haha.

Talk to an engine builder (woody@ford strokers), he'll set you up in the right direction based on your goals. I know @blwnbyu is having him build a motor now and maybe can chime in more

Fordstrokers did my dart set up and also did 95riosnakes motor. Nothing but good things to say about the quality and service, im sure Dan will tell you the same. Just be prepared for wait time, mine took 6 months to get to me,so plan early.

Thanks I know about woody and the short block will be built by him when the time comes. Mainly looking for top end advice, I am looking at tw 190 11 r heads and a cam done by either ed or jay.

Kris

the 11r heads are awsome, I wish I would have got then but my tw 170 cncs were too good of a deal to pass up. My advise on cam is to let whoever grinds it let then spec out lifters and valve springs for the cam and there pushrod recommendations. so when it comes time to measure you know witch ones to get. Also make your intake matches what you specify in the cam information sheet for best results.

Ive said it for years, there is absolutely no sense in building a stock block stroker. If 400 is your goal slap a $1500 vortech on it and be done.

where do you guys see the $1500 vortech lol? i'm seeing $4,200 vortechs everywhere  :huh:

seems like i'm late to the party but i'm of both minds.  If the goal is only to get 400rwhp, then get a vortech and call it done like Rich said.  However, i'm in the same boat as Dan where as i built a non-Dart bottom end and it's been fine but to grow anymore, i'll need a better block.  If you keep it safe you won't have problems like Troy said.  I couldn't afford the extra money the dart would cost at the time as i was still in school and the stock bottom end was giving up the ghost.  that was 8 years ago now and still going strong.  Granted recently has been problematic but nothing to do with the bottom end.

My .02 if at all applicable:  I kind of went into it with the same idea, I want a certain amount of horsepower, N/A and leave it at that.   Drove the car maybe 200 miles total with the new setup and I already want a blower.  I think most people are the same, it's never enough.  Down the line i'm sure you're going to want more "go fast" so it'll be nice to already have that setup to support it. 

On the other hand, I along with many others are of the select group that will most likely never get rid of his/her Mustang, ever.  So if you think that down the line you may end up getting rid of it then no sense in going through the trouble of rebuilding when you can achieve your goals simply with Rich's advice! ----> "Ive said it for years, there is absolutely no sense in building a stock block stroker. If 400 is your goal slap a $1500 vortech on it and be done."

:2thumb:

I built a stock block 347, i was not happy with it from day one. Everything I did to the car made it better, but it wasn't enough. I eventually decided to go with an upgraded block, which ended up being a flop. Finally I decided to bite the bullet and say screw the 8.2" shit. I went 351w and i don't think I'll ever swap back.

If this build goes belly up, I'm either getting rid of the car, or doing an LS swap.

Yeah I have and still am considering going with a 351. I keep looking at the ford strokers dart 347 and then goingo over to the 408 stockblock. The price difference alone makes it worth it. I am going to keep researching and try to figure out what i want.

Kris