SharpSNcoyote

Sharp's 98 Road to Recovery

Don't get your hopes up too soon. Im not doing the swap just yet and it will likely be awhile but for those that are willing to be patient with me I hope you enjoy this build thread. I do have the coyote in my posession and I do have a 03 cobra IRS I plan to swap as well with a 6 speed tranny later. However as of right now Im driving my 98 every day with its little stock NPI 4.6 while I get my feel of the car and do some much needed refreshing of the paint/body, interior and overall mechanics of the car. Im actually enjoying the car a lot like it is right now, looking forward to making a few smokey burnout videos and a few passes at the track even though I know it will be painful to see the time slips haha! When I got this thing about 2 weeks ago it had silver tail lights, the auto zone stick on fender vents above the GT emblems, a ERICA decal across the trunk, the drivers window about to fall off the tracks and looked like it had a 4x4 lift on it. While all of that has been changed I still have a long way to go all the while having my main goal of swapping the coyote in it in the future. EB74E5A9-C3E8-40D3-B48C-543E42E89921_zps

2D9F4A0D-080B-46BE-B994-9A491FAA0AF6_zps

This thing was and still is in many ways everything one would see a 98 GT mustang from south Ar/North La being. But in the end that will be the beauty of this entire build... A testimony of bringing one of these cars back and saving it from a typical lifestyle that so many of them end up in. So here it is as it sits right now 2 weeks after I got it. Not much has changed yet but I did lower it and put a set of tail lights in it... And took "ERICA's" auto zone fender vents off.221C9214-5AAF-44FF-BDF8-B8FE7F7E3989_zps

And here is the coyote and all its glory. Where I stand right I need the BBK headers, the ford racing harness and ECM (thanks ford for making the factory harness and computer useless) and the Moroso oil pan. I do plan and want to get a tubular Kmember as well. So yeah that's the list of whats physically holding me back right now however I want this done right and look good so I will be taking my time to get the car cleaned up and in good shape for it because as we all know this thing is 7x what this car is worth haha! It would be a shame to throw it in a hull. 0BDDF7EC-9907-4CB6-8D33-93134703ED6A_zps

Yeah aint that the truth! Im probably going to get the IRS swapped first as soon as i get everything I need for it. Which btw any help would be much appreciated. Ive been reading various threads on the swap so Im not totally in the dark. Im going to need brakes though because the guy I got it from took them off before hand. Good time to upgrade all the brakes i guess right?! Haha! I want to get the bushings and everything from MM as well unless you can suggest a better route. Ive heard good things about their IRS stuff though.

Also on an unrelated IRS note, new headlights, cobra front bumper and finally about to replace these ratty flowmasters with a couple magnapacks!

• Moderators

excited to see this take shape.  curious as to why/how you had a coyote and an IRS laying around before you even had the car?

No kidding!

I can't wait to see this come together.  I wish I had done the same some days.

excited to see this take shape. curious as to why/how you had a coyote and an IRS laying around before you even had the car?

It sure begs the question right?! Haha! Ive actually had it now for about a year. I owned a 86 fox that I was planning to put it in but as time went on I decided to sell it. Then I bought a 51 f100 that i thought I would put it in but then decided that was a little more work than I wanted. So came to the conclusion that I wanted something I could drive now that would be a good candidate for a coyote swap in the future. So here I am today as the proud owner of a 98 sn.

Dang near had to sell my soul to get this thing lol. Some people may think im crazy and the wife still don't like to talk about it, i say its all in what a man wants. But here is how I paid for the coyote. Done it all myself with the help of my brother. Hopefully this will put a little confidence in me for the ones tagging along for the build.

image_zps03ffd2bd.jpg

Regarding bushings, I'd recommend looking into Full Tilt Boogie Racing, I have just about everything they make other than the Ford Racing rear cover in my IRS and cannot say enough good things about their stuff. Their site has complete install videos, list of torques, etc. A very thorough and knowledgeable company, I wouldn't hesitate to send someone their way.

Some reading:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?260665-Cobra-Mustang-IRS-Delrin-UHMW-Alum-bushing-kit-w-adj-sway-bar-links-amp-bumpsteer-kit&highlight=

And their website:

http://fulltiltboogieracing.com/index.htm

Regarding bushings, I'd recommend looking into Full Tilt Boogie Racing, I have just about everything they make other than the Ford Racing rear cover in my IRS and cannot say enough good things about their stuff. Their site has complete install videos, list of torques, etc. A very thorough and knowledgeable company, I wouldn't hesitate to send someone their way.

Some reading:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?260665-Cobra-Mustang-IRS-Delrin-UHMW-Alum-bushing-kit-w-adj-sway-bar-links-amp-bumpsteer-kit&highlight=

And their website:

http://fulltiltboogieracing.com/index.htm

You know I actually had a friend recommend and send that link to me as well. So yeah I was def going to read on what they have. Thanks for the link!

Its looking like christmas around my house! My favorite mufflers, magnaflow magnapacks. I was under the car looking around at everything after I first got it and wondering what crappy exhaust there was that was making the godawful noise when it was running and found 2 ratty flowmaster that were litterally rotted from the inside out. Huge holes in the sides of them and whatever baffles were on the inside were long gone. Just 2 empty shells. So first on the list was these lol. I refuse to drive something that sounded that horrible.

image_zpsb3922b60.jpg

Awesome! Thanks man! My last big purchase for the drivetrain is a 6 speed. I can use the 4r70w from what I have read, at least for the time being until i can get a 6 speed. So yeah that helps a lot, maybe he will have a tranny for me for a good price.

This is kind of a side note but how often does anyone see a 3.27 gear car? Lol curious if I just got lucky or is it pretty common. I thought they all came with either 2.73s or 3.08s

This is kind of a side note but how often does anyone see a 3.27 gear car? Lol curious if just got lucky or is it pretty common. I thought they all came with either 2.73s or 3.08s[/quote

Don't quote me but I though a lot of cobras were 3.27?

Either way, my gt was a 3.27 car from the factory. Most of the 248a optioned cars and GTS models were 3.27's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alright so who has the late model restoration's cobra front bumper? I have about 6 years of paint and body experience and my brother has about 11 so we are pretty confident in getting it to fit right but sometimes its just too far off to do lol. Anyone have any stories on these? Fit great? Good? Horrible? Mine should be here next week...

Also i decided to try the black one piece headlights which will be in monday. Ive heard it took a little bit of tweaking to make those work but I have seen pics that they look to fit just fine.

I HATED my one piece headlights.   My biggest annoyance was that you could not adjust the highbeam vs the lowbeam.  you had one adjustment for both.  So my low beams were fine, and my highbeams lit up the tree tops.  on top of that I had a little bit of a rake going on and the gap from the headlights needing to be adjusted up was ridiculous.    

Can kinda see it here, but below the corner marker there was a massive gap on each side.

DSC08740.jpg

Then someone backed over my hood and i wisened up and bought some decent 2 piece units :)

DSC07997.jpg

Yikes! I see what you mean. Well I will find out today I guess as they are to be delivered today. The ones I got look to be different than the ones you had but still one piece none the less. It was a toss up between the one piece and some smoked 2 piece but I decided to try the one piece headlights out. I like them both so if these don't fit I'll be getting some 2 piece smoked instead.

Yikes! I see what you mean. Well I will find out today I guess as they are to be delivered today. The ones I got look to be different than the ones you had but still one piece none the less. It was a toss up between the one piece and some smoked 2 piece but I decided to try the one piece headlights out. I like them both so if these don't fit I'll be getting some 2 piece smoked instead.

quality could have changed for sure, this was almost 5 years ago now.  I do love my smoked 2 piece ones much more.

IMG_9022_zps98711249.jpg

Alright so who has the late model restoration's cobra front bumper? I have about 6 years of paint and body experience and my brother has about 11 so we are pretty confident in getting it to fit right but sometimes its just too far off to do lol. Anyone have any stories on these? Fit great? Good? Horrible? Mine should be here next week.

i'd like to know this as well. seems like anyone that gets an aftermarket cobra front bumper ends up with this hood and grill surround area gaps.

What one piece lights did you get?

These ones lol. image_zps4669a792.jpg

i'd like to know this as well. seems like anyone that gets an aftermarket cobra front bumper ends up with this hood and grill surround area gaps.

And yeah Tony we done a little research on them and from what we have came up with if your going to go aftermarket the late model restoration is the best bet. Thats going off of reviews from people that have them. Just thought maybe someone on here has tried one and could give me a little more detail. But regardless, before long I will be able to tell you.

Will do! I guess the reason why I like them is it seemed that they were trying to incorp the new edge headlights design into the sn lights. They kept them simple and clean unlike a lot of aftermarket headlights. If they fit well enough it should pull off a more modern factory look in a older car. At least thats what I imagined... We will see.

Dude im in south Ark, its only like 38 haha! Weez tropical people lol.

My original plan is to tint these slightly so I will probably do that as well. But yeah I like them forcsure. Pics don't do it much justice and that raggedy cracked up bumper don't either.