Blackmage

need some opinions on gauge placement

So i ordered up an AEM wideband so I can hopefully get a tune someday.  I have a pretty simple interior and I kinda want to keep it that way but cannot think of a nice place to stick the gauge that won't make it look tacky.  I dont think I want a pillar pod, what do you guys think?  or maybe where do you have your stuff mounted?

AA32F571-321C-4EF9-BBBF-AAA3FDD097AF_zps

6E8BA531-16AD-4593-9E38-F44BEBB14E93_zps

idk what you consider tacky but have you ever seen the heater/ac vent gauge pods? probably the most simple/plain type of pod i've seen. clean look imo.

Ive seen em before in the audi world, wonder how well the vent works with it in there?

If you only need to add one gauge, maybe do the column pod. It blends in pretty well.

not a bad idea.  maybe i shoulda waited and got a white face on it if I do end up putitng it there :-/ 

And there are flat panels that cover the cassette player slot that you could put gauges in.I also found this on latemodelrestoration.com

lrs-04371d_7215.jpg

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-04371D/94-00-Radio-3-Gauge-Panel-2-1-16

I thought about that as well, but I love putting my phone and wallet in there... then theres the other two holes i would still need to fill hah

You do know that the AEM wideband gauge is designed to let you change the gauge face color and trim ring color right? Mine came with a black face, white face, black ring and silver ring. @Blackmage

Did not know that. Lol *facepalm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Idk were u got ur aem from but Amazon has them for 159$ right now.

Amazon it twas

d0c5aede779bf09fbc052ffdde0ce7e6.jpg

Well look at that. I just saw that it included the wideband O2 and gauge so I went with it

Have you considered the dual pod that mounts in place of the dash clock? It's not as subtle but I thought I'd mention it in case it hadn't been thrown out there yet.

I'm a huge fan of the three-gauge bezel below the radio that RassCar pointed out, but that's just because I like gauges so much (I just bought that bezel for my parents' 2000 Roush). If you didn't want to do that many gauges or couldn't find any others that match the wideband I'd go with the steering column pod so long as you paint match it. I think it would be subtle enough.

Have you considered the dual pod that mounts in place of the dash clock? It's not as subtle but I thought I'd mention it in case it hadn't been thrown out there yet.

I'm a huge fan of the three-gauge bezel below the radio that RassCar pointed out, but that's just because I like gauges so much (I just bought that bezel for my parents' 2000 Roush). If you didn't want to do that many gauges or couldn't find any others that match the wideband I'd go with the steering column pod so long as you paint match it. I think it would be subtle enough.

I want to keep my clock actually haha.   But then if i put in the air/fuel gauge i need to fill in the second hole with something, and they're kinda tall and obnoxious looking imo.    I think im going to end up going with a column pod.  seems like its the easiest solution and probably the cleanest for what I want.  the gauge should be here today, so maybe it'll get installed next summer seen as how temps are dipping into the negative digits this week. 

Personally, I've never seen the point of installing gauges in a location that you physically have to look totally away from the road and instrument cluster to view.

I prefer the instrument cluster bezel: http://www.americanmuscle.com/autometer-instrument-gauge-bezel-9400.html .  I have one of these style setups in both my Mustang and Impreza STi.  It doesn't look out of place or block anything else from view, you don't lose the cubby location or your heater vents and the gauges are in an easy to read location that you can quickly glance to, which is what you'll want for a wideband.  Were it me, I would pick up another gauge, like a good water temp or oil pressure unit and run the instrument cluster bezel.

Personally, I've never seen the point of installing gauges in a location that you physically have to look totally away from the road and instrument cluster to view.

I prefer the instrument cluster bezel: http://www.americanmuscle.com/autometer-instrument-gauge-bezel-9400.html .  I have one of these style setups in both my Mustang and Impreza STi.  It doesn't look out of place or block anything else from view, you don't lose the cubby location or your heater vents and the gauges are in an easy to read location that you can quickly glance to, which is what you'll want for a wideband.  Were it me, I would pick up another gauge, like a good water temp or oil pressure unit and run the instrument cluster bezel.

I love that they used a photo with the RPM needle wrapped around backwards, my 95 5.0 use to do that all the time! lol 

Thanks @Tabres, i do like that idea too, completely forgot about these. 

well after doing some digging around i think im going to go with the single pod steering column one.  I didnt like the way the cluster one mounts with two screws on the face of it, so that kinda turned me away from it. ill roll with this for now, and see how it goes! thanks guys

well after doing some digging around i think im going to go with the single pod steering column one. I didnt like the way the cluster one mounts with two screws on the face of it, so that kinda turned me away from it. ill roll with this for now, and see how it goes! thanks guys

sweet my guage and pod are sitting on my porch now waiting for me to get home, in gonna try to get it all hooked up tommorrow so we will see how that goes.

a89e5ee97fe2f0a4aebf9e964f9c0730.jpg here yA go @Blackmage

well after doing some digging around i think im going to go with the single pod steering column one. I didnt like the way the cluster one mounts with two screws on the face of it, so that kinda turned me away from it. ill roll with this for now, and see how it goes! thanks guys

a89e5ee97fe2f0a4aebf9e964f9c0730.jpg here yA go @Blackmage

Where did you put your wideband in at?  did you weld in the bung or?   I think im just going to use a rear O2 sensor bung and call it good. 

Where did you put your wideband in at? did you weld in the bung or? I think im just going to use a rear O2 sensor bung and call it good.

I used an o2 bung since I dont have o2's but they say it needs to be like 6-12" from the point where the primaries merge IIRC.

I used an o2 bung since I dont have o2's but they say it needs to be like 6-12" from the point where the primaries merge IIRC.

I thought the directions said at least 6-12 from the primaries, as long as its downstream.  I'll have to read em again.  If thats the case I'll be welding in the bung!

edit: from AEM

"Mount the O2 sensor in the exhaust system at least 18 inches downstream from the exhaust port."    Although I'm sure the closer to 18" away the better.

I thought the directions said at least 6-12 from the primaries, as long as its downstream. I'll have to read em again. If thats the case I'll be welding in the bung!

edit: from AEM

"Mount the O2 sensor in the exhaust system at least 18 inches downstream from the exhaust port." Although I'm sure the closer to 18" away the better.

I haven't mounted mine yet, so does that mean 18" away from my long tube collector? If so I can use the bungs from the aft o2s in front of my prochamber.

Ditched ALL the factory gauges but my AEM wideband is in an Autometer cluster surround.

20150104_214346.jpg

20150104_214254.jpg

Do you have it all wired up?  want to see that at night! 

I haven't mounted mine yet, so does that mean 18" away from my long tube collector? If so I can use the bungs from the aft o2s in front of my prochamber.

I believe it means from the closest physical exhaust port.  So if your header has a 14" long tube, you would need to be at least 4" past the collector.  make sense? (not sure lengths on pipes, just making a number up!)

Do you have it all wired up? want to see that at night!

All wired up. Just need to do a few more things before I can connect the battery and start checking systems. I basically rebuilt the entire electrical system for the whole car; dash harness, main fuse box and harness, new stand alone ECU, etc.

All wired up. Just need to do a few more things before I can connect the battery and start checking systems. I basically rebuilt the entire electrical system for the whole car; dash harness, main fuse box and harness, new stand alone ECU, etc.

Wow thats quite the job im sure!

Do you have it all wired up? want to see that at night!

I believe it means from the closest physical exhaust port. So if your header has a 14" long tube, you would need to be at least 4" past the collector. make sense? (not sure lengths on pipes, just making a number up!)

yea ill prolly have to put it as close to the collector as I can then.

Ditched ALL the factory gauges but my AEM wideband is in an Autometer cluster surround.

20150104_214346.jpg

20150104_214254.jpg

did you make the panel yourself or is that a florida5.0 cluster?  how do you have it mounted?  

did you make the panel yourself or is that a florida5.0 cluster? how do you have it mounted?

I used a precut cluster face from florida5.0 that worked on to get the tach to fit and all my indicator lights as well. Then I used an Autometer outer bezel that took some cutting to so it would clear the tach and speedo. I the riveted both major parts together and used the Autometer mounting to hold it in place.