Sho Amo

03/04 cobra steering rack

I'm ready to get an 03/04 cobra rack for my car. I was just wondering if the prices Im seeing on eBay are reasonable ~300. Or do you recommend getting it elsewhere?

I've found thru searching that I need one that ends in ZM. Any other information that would help is appreciated.

rockauto has them for like $210 with a $90 core charge.  manufactured cardone one but it does specifically list it as a SPR-ZM.

A-1 CARDONE Part # 222000
{#2R3Z3504AA, 2R3Z3504AARM, F6SZ3280BA} Reman. - Hydraulic Power Steering Rack & Pinon [Complete Unit] Includes Inner Tie Rods
Production Code SPR-ZM; Includes Inner Tie Rods; Inline filter available
3bf406054cadd4ea5b9f67b556462818__ra_t.j 
$119.79 $90.00 $209.79

rockauto has them for like $210 with a $90 core charge.  manufactured cardone one but it does specifically list it as a SPR-ZM.

A-1 CARDONE Part # 222000

{#2R3Z3504AA, 2R3Z3504AARM, F6SZ3280BA} Reman. - Hydraulic Power Steering Rack & Pinon [Complete Unit] Includes Inner Tie Rods

Production Code SPR-ZM; Includes Inner Tie Rods; Inline filter available

3bf406054cadd4ea5b9f67b556462818__ra_t.j 
$119.79 $90.00 $209.79

I swore there was a topic on this at some point and people were saying rock auto was not actually sending out Cobra racks and they were regular ones.  I could be mistaken but I coulda swore i saw it somewhere

I saw the same thing^^

I had a problem with that in my rx7. They had turbo2 axles listed but would send out regular axles which look the same but have a different spline and bolt pattern.

The cobra R spec route sounds interesting. I'll check into it a bit.

The cobra R spec from AGR is $476

Next question: Do I need to use 94/95 inner tie rods or are they the same? I have a MM bumpsteer Kit.

I have to ask what that rack buys me over the stock gt rack?  Just curious.

Steering feel.

It has a lot to do with the torsion bar being thicker and machining in the spool valve.  Gives heavier steering feel.  Added bonus they have built in rack limiters for wider front wheel/tire setup.

If you have ever driven an 03-04 Cobra, the difference in steering feel is noticeable when compared to our early sn95's.

Read:

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/drivetrain/m5lp-1207-power-steering-steered-straight/

So I called Rockauto and asked about the product. They said they have sold 97 of them and only one return. So I  went ahead and ordered it from them. They ended up sending me an email with return instructions just in case. I love ROCKAUTO! I'll be sure to check how many turns lock to lock and review the steering feel.

Should be sometime next week.

So I called Rockauto and asked about the product. They said they have sold 97 of them and only one return. So I  went ahead and ordered it from them. They ended up sending me an email with return instructions just in case. I love ROCKAUTO! I'll be sure to check how many turns lock to lock and review the steering feel.

Should be sometime next week.

Nice.  I did the same from local NAPA to take a look at.  Buddy runs the store and is cool with sending back if it isn't what its supposed to be.   Will be here today...

Let us know what dimple code housing you get as well.  

Took a look. The rack sent to the local store is a ZK stamped rack. Out of a 02-04 GT.

Rather than take a gamble, I decided to have it shipped back.  No harm, no foul.

So what are you planning to do now? I have read on other forums that they think A1 is just using any housing but putting the correct bump stops and torsion bar in for specific applications. Why else would they make the justification between the dimple codes?

So what are you planning to do now? I have read on other forums that they think A1 is just using any housing but putting the correct bump stops and torsion bar in for specific applications. Why else would they make the justification between the dimple codes?

I am going to wait for a take off.  I just want to be sure I am getting the rack I want.  The car is not a dd and can sit.

Let us know what you find when you get the one you ordered.

I have also heard not so great things about AGR products. Hopefully your Rock Auto rack is a Cobra unit. I would also recommend some MM solid rack bushings while you're at it. Inexpensive and quite effective.

I do have MM's poly rack bushings, thought about solid but didn't pull the trigger.

Came home from work this morning (midnight shift) to this shitty box.

81A298F4-76B5-4879-AD57-1D1F2EDE47DD_zps

Instead of bags of air it should be bubble wrapped. That's just ridiculous.

7D23ACFC-1DD0-498E-80E6-47D51A27C9BF_zps

It's a ZM!

1F9EB5AA-8276-428B-8A43-2434968333E3_zps

Also I'll post the picture later but you can tell it's a cobra housing by the dimple towards the middle and the way the lines are run. Check out @95riosnake 's build thread.

84F418E2-387A-4700-AD06-F977C15DBB57_zps

Stock 95 v6 rack...

44fdda7e-1489-4709-b7fb-7c85cdd557b9_zps

03/04 cobra top - Dan was trying to show the difference in the way they ran the lines as well.

Rack_zps8otqkabf.jpg

I hope this helps someone in the future!

Good to see you got what you ordered, it can be a crap shoot with online ordering these days. Most of the time, even calling and asking someone can't guarantee anything lol.

I bought mine on SVTP from a guy parting out a cobra, so I knew it was definitely a cobra unit lol.

Update! So the stock rack was 2.5 turns lock to lock. This rack is only 2 turns! So it definitely has the 03/04 cobra steering limiters inside, and the steering feel was definitely tighter. I ended up swapping one of the hard lines from my stock rack onto this one because there was some interference with the K member.

Overall I'm happy with it!

I wish I still had my 95 rack, I need to swap one of the hard lines for more clearance with the Team Z k-member gusseting. Maybe I can find a part out and buy one walmart-cheap.

• Moderators

I wish I still had my 95 rack, I need to swap one of the hard lines for more clearance with the Team Z k-member gusseting. Maybe I can find a part out and buy one walmart-cheap.

I've got the rack out of my car...

I've got the rack out of my car...

I forget what your plans are rack-wise. Are you reusing it or selling it? I could maybe send you the hard line from my 03 and we could just trade them? Wouldn't be till after the move anyway, I have to keep the car in roller status so I can flat bed it to the new house.

• Moderators

I forget what your plans are rack-wise. Are you reusing it or selling it? I could maybe send you the hard line from my 03 and we could just trade them? Wouldn't be till after the move anyway, I have to keep the car in roller status so I can flat bed it to the new house.

It's yours if you want it.  I have an 03/04 rack to replace it.

Tid bit of info.

For those hard lines they have the same style of plastic gasket as the high pressure hose. I just re-used the ones that were in my rack since it was just rebuilt and it sealed fine. Im not sure if they are easily sourced or not but if its an old rack id be trying to find them.

@95riosnake - I thought of that post in your build thread when I was trying to install it. I also wondered why you didn't just do the same thing lol.