Serpent

What did you do to your mustang today??

finally worked on my son's 04 v6 auto today between the rain storms. got the oil changed and made his oil catch can ( made from parts from Home Depot) and installed it today. still have to do the cooling system with new hoses and t stat. new front brake pads coming up also. also have the front sway bar off of my cobra to put on his. have the parts, just need the car and some lack of rain for abit.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, 95opal said:

I walked by it... Stopped for a split second and kept on walking lol

Welcome to my world

24 minutes ago, 410sn95 said:

Was reminded that I have a Mustang.

Me too... by the guy that said he just walked by his.

I removed the pulley on my meziere electric water pump in hopes that it will clear the supercharger belt.  Took some time to get the 3 screws holding it on because of all the locktight red, not I hope it has enough space...

prior to the rain today, got the coolant system refreshed in the v6, along with new hoses, new radiator cap, cleaned the tank and a new 160 t-stat. cleaning that surface for the t-stat housing on the block side was a real fun deal with all the room there is to get scraper and stuff in there....NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Serpent

Stumbled upon a rear brake upgrade I purchased on black Friday that has been sitting in the loft.  Thinking I probably need to install it so I can free up storage space.  Then remembered all the other crap I need to do that takes priority :(

5 hours ago, Blackmage said:

Click on the link i posted. it'll bring you right to it.

oh, got it...didn't realize that was a link. hadn't seen that...wouldn't have thought to look in the party category for this type of thread. thanx.

• Supporting Member

Yesterday I finally have a good solution for my crank trigger.  I'm new here, and even where I'm not new I don't talk about my own stuff very much but I don't see threads like this around either.

I have a 351 based engine and I'm using the "short" 94/95 accessories on it.  I run Megasquirt on it and have for many years, and the installation has evolved over time.  I began with a very basic configuration using the factory TFI and distributor.  I then migrated to just getting my RPM signal from the TFI, but driving the coil directly from megasquirt for greater timing advance/retard flexibility which needed for things like launch control and flat shift.  

After that I decided to take the next step to multiple coils instead of a distributor.  While doing that I also made the change to using a crank-based trigger for an RPM because 4 pulses-per-RPM coming from a chain-driven camshaft and using that as an RPM signal is a joke, but finding a solution for using the crank directly has been challenging; I've been working on it on and off for years.

My 1st round was putting something together myself with an Electromotive 60-2 trigger wheel and some bracketry I whipped together which had a really shitty design and didn't work very well (I later learned it didn't work well for a different problem, but the design was still pretty bad).  

For round 2 I junked that for a "bolt on" solution from Mallory which they've since discontinued.  It's a nice piece with a kickass 36-1 wheel but I'll be fvvked if I know what they were thinking with the bracket arrangement.  It worked but put the sensor directly under the balancer where it would interfere with the front sway bar if both front tires were unloaded.  I put up with this for a while but I was using an underdriven crank pulley.  As I started making power with the car the cooling couldn't keep up.  The factory pulley would bring cooling back in line but then the balancer and crank pulley were both larger in diameter than my trigger wheel, which was sandwiched between them both.  With some tweaking I could get the sensor to read the wheel but not reliably.

So I spent about 2 weeks poking around all the options available and considering rolling my own again but for the 3rd round I settled on a bracket from Innovators West with my original Electromotive 60-2 wheel which was a little larger than the factory crank pulley, and a gear tooth sensor from Electro-Sensors Inc.  The bracket of course wouldn't work straight away with the 94/95 short accessories.  It came with standoffs about 1 1/4" long but the correct length for perfect alignment is either 5/8" or maybe 1/2".. it's hard to get down to a 16th in accuracy with a tape measure and no room, lol.  However there's a boss on the timing cover that is even with 3/4" so that's as short as I can go.  Ordered those up from aluminumspacers.com.

Well that hodgepodge of different shit from different sources did end up working, I got it fired up yesterday afternoon.  The sensor isn't centered on the trigger wheel but it picks up the teeth without issue to something over 6,000 RPM which is a bit beyond my shift point anyhow.  I just need to get a piston stop now so I can adjust the timing pointer position to properly align with TDC on 0.  Now I can finally move on to some other things.  I think completing the feel system and re-running the battery cables is next.

• Supporting Member

Tried to take it for a spin but quickly developed a belt squeal.  New belt too.  I'm wondering if I have pulley alignment issues since making changes to the crank trigger setup.  It eyeballed okay to me but that wasn't exactly scientific.  Damnit!

Drove the '01 while lamenting on how many times crazy Starbucks addicts have hit my parked '98 by my apartment...

1 hour ago, myk said:

Drove the '01 while lamenting on how many times crazy Starbucks addicts have hit my parked '98 by my apartment...

they pay $4-5 per coffee seems like they should be able to door ding a random car in the parking lot for that price?

I have become a harness expert on my wiring project.  I want to be able to remove the dash when the heater core goes out so I have been buying/adding harnesses all over the dash.  I thought I had all I needed till I needed a 12 awg 2 pin harness for the fuel pump, just ordered that one last night.

Replaced the dizzy and adjusted the timing a few degrees yesterday. Going to try and replace the thermostat housing and radiator hoses this afternoon. 

Also spent 3 hours doing the brakes on the daily (Hybrid Fusion).