69clark

SINIS Built Pace Car Build Thread

Well, I have been approached by several people to start this thread.

Now this has been a several year build. Doing work over the winter months and enjoying the car in the summer. I won't start from the beginning, i will just cut to the last phase of the build.

Some pics of when the car is together, LOL.

Laconia132.jpg

Laconia076.jpg

Laconia137.jpg

Laconia112.jpg

03 cobra motor (with about 500 miles on it) and t56 tranny is what the main part of this phase of the build is about.

03cobra_PaceCar_SINIS036.jpg

03cobra_PaceCar_SINIS027.jpg

Tore the car down last fall to start working on it. Just bought that house last year too, so part of that time was getting my garage setup to build the car.

462aa622db955f843da6b47f6f7ffe66.jpg

Picked up some 345's for the back. Rear wheels are widened to 20x12

DSCF2661.jpg

DSCF2664.jpg

DSCF2668.jpg

Fuel system consists of Fore rails, 60# injectors, A1000 pump and controller and custom fuel cell.

ForeRails.jpg

a1000_zps5c7c59e8.jpg

03 Cobra rack:

03CobraRack_zps3108fce7.jpg

Stifflers came through awesome on this. They are supporting the build for Mustang Week. They didn't have a t56 crossmember for the early 79-81 cars, so Brian Figg works with me over the phone and put this together and got it out to me the same day. Awesome customer service. And if it fits they will have a part number for us 79-81 guys using a t56. Great looking piece and cheap too. Looking forward to working with these guys on future projects.

8c8078f26d66c44d6ffbe9b75e723d73_zps6e513750.jpg

Stifflers also supplied the front cross member brace for an aftermarket k member and their web bracing using their fit system. What is great is I already have MM subframe connectors, and was able to get everything minus the subframe connectors. So you don't need to get extra parts you don't need and you can upgrade from where you already are. Again, well thought out parts, great looking pieces, nice coating and super quick shipping.

da26d82bb297f07bc59060e824af3257_zps534306bc.jpg

a5842a463d8f2991b562f1f48680c5a5_zpsb0016289.jpg

Late Model Restoration came through huge and with quick shipping. They supplied a lot of the misc items I needed. MM parts, and stuff from ARP, autometer ford racing, motor plate, gaskets, suspension bushings and more. Also some all metal from summit racing. They are supporting the build for Mustang Week.

5b0b101332af72242e043e80d54473e1_zps8211d715.jpg

Jon is an awesome guy, he is supporting the build for Mustang Week. He hooked me up with some other custom parts too. More on that later down the road. I always knew of Jon Bond Performance for his supercharger work, but I guess he does alot of other performance stuff too. Here is his link: https://jonbondperformance.com/

whipple_79pacecar-1_zps8c283f14.jpg

Got the tunnel modifications finished up.

Tunnel2_zpsbfe667f3.jpg

Tunnel1_zps4a18d677.jpg

Finished the LavaMat under the car. Once I got it done it looked great, but I decided to lock on the seems down with foil tape, just to make sure it doesn't start lifting. They don't say you need to do this, but once the tranny is in the only way to fix it is to remove the tranny, so I just decided to take care of the seems now.

LavaMat1_zpse2ce8667.jpg

LavaMat2_zps7f073454.jpg

LavaMat3_zps756018b1.jpg

Fuel cell back from being modified. For those that haven't seen the car in person, the cell hung low before so I wanted to angle the bottom up to be even with the rear bumper. Just a visual thing. By doing this, we also created a natural sump. More pics to come when I mount the pump to it and mount the cell.

FuelCell1_zps754d9ffd.jpg

FuelCell2_zps45611c5d.jpg

Started putting in the ScottRod panels.

ScottRod2_zpsf4e03c49.jpg

ScottRod4_zps96fcaf38.jpg

ScottRod3_zps8f6c176d.jpg

ScottRod5_zps33439f02.jpg

Then, i started modifying the strut tower to be more symetric with the drivers side tower, but also for room with the mod motor and those huge valve covers. Gonna look nice once done.

ScottRod6_zps264a70c0.jpg

Here it is with the bottom angled in.

ScottRod7_zps01e184bd.jpg

Everything tacked here. Ready for final weld and all metal. Couple holes to fill too.

scottrod1_zps3563046e.jpg

Drivers side mockup up.

scottrod2_zpsf55f7e33.jpg

You probably can't really see it here but after reshaping the passenger side tower, I wanted to do a little fine tuning on the drivers side tower.

scottrod3_zps21996fd5.jpg

Here are some pics of the fuel cell again. These are off the bottom of the cell so you can see how it is notched.

cell2_zps165b0f38.png

cell1_zpsf6371198.jpg

Got the rearend gear setup and the rearend ready to go back in the car. 3 inches narrowed on each side. 3.27 gears, 1 degree toe, 1 degree camber built in (yes you read that correctly), welded tube, custom bracing.

rear1_zps2ad986b7.jpg

rear2_zps320a480c.jpg

Engine bay work. First bit of business was to start separating the pinch weld.

enginebay1_zps7f163446.jpg

Then we cut the upper part of the firewall/cowl area out to be added back in later. Then we folded the pinch weld inside the cowl area.

enginebay2_zps34dd896c.png

Then we mockup up the cowl piece we cut out to see how it looked with no pinch weld.

enginebay3_zps2d25917d.jpg

Then we cut out the firewall.

enginebay5_zps89c2dcca.jpg

Started making templates for the new sheetmetal. Much thinker metal than stock will be used.

enginebay4_zpscebd5d45.jpg

Pieces cut and held up in place.

enginebay6_zps61b3488c.jpg

Everything mocked up ready for welding.

enginebay7_zpsec41d046.jpg

Welded in and ground down for a good surface for the All Metal to adhere to.

enginebay8_zps31d22f8c.jpg

Getting ready to spread the All Metal. Notice the LateModel Restoration shirt, lol.

enginebay9_zpsa7012f46.jpg

Now, I use alot of we's above, but the one that did the real work was Butch Austin. He is and animal and body guy by trade. So he knows his stuff. Me, not so much. I helped, but this project is really his baby, not mine. Thanks Butch.

The car will soon be going to his shop to get sanded and bodyworked (engine bay) and then painted.

Well, the wheels came back widened from Weldcraft. They were an awesome company to deal with. They are now 20x12 wheels (13" overall). Now I just got to get the 345 mounted.

wheels1_zpse6caa86d.jpg

wheels2_zps489ff5e2.jpg

Decided to test fit the wheels. Gonna be getting the 345's mounted soon.

wheels1_zps7f21d351.jpg

wheels2_zpsc9544441.jpg

wheels3_zpsaecf64e1.jpg

And here is the money shot. Still a couple things to do or that I am waiting to get delivered, but overall this will be the look.

enginestand1_zpsca7b4d6b.jpg

enginestand2_zps8a4fcc00.jpg

enginestand3_zps75f9854a.jpg

enginestand4_zpse716cb36.jpg

enginestand5_zps18e8f8aa.jpg

Got the car back from the painter, and prepped the engine to go in.

RXT clutch installed

RXT_zpsecd2d2b5.jpg

Motor in.

motor1_zps2ada0081.jpg

motor2_zps0a3bdc64.jpg

motorr3_zpse3696477.jpg

Strut mounts in.

motor4_zpsf4be5bca.jpg

Fans & radiator in.

motor5_zps22126dd2.jpg

Stifflers items bolted in for the final time.

stifflers_zps80a080af.jpg

Rear suspension and fuel cell is now bolted in place. I was just mocked up here but after some clearancing for the 345s everything is bolted in and ready to go.

rear_zps25567b78.jpg

Custom resevior tanks showed up.

f49e0390894b1edc84810582316c5a54_zps49807303.jpg

Got the car rolling again and outside.

8ac9feae613fe845b3217c2a5e335aa0_zps96842c4d.jpg

8ae243d66a44a1e1c11425c16118ed07_zps415f45e1.jpg

065633df336ed30c223e32c60f3b4879_zps7dc26005.jpg

cc124fc3baa24ce7d72c713f4cd86df3_zpsff5f5d73.jpg

5a9392e795d9eded370d2b26c6fb680b_zpse4a949af.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, I skipped alot but this quickly gets you up to speed.

Real time updates can be found at www.facebook.com/sinisbuilt

normally i dont like the pacecar stuff, but for some reason, this your car pulls it off perfectly. Not sure if the HUGE tires or SICK engine bay do it though :)

This is one of the best (if not the best) cars EVER! The craftsmanship on this thing is mind blowing. I'm going to say that's the best looking engine bay I've ever seen.

Now I do have one question. This is the second time I've seen this and I still want to know how you do it. How do you get camber and toe in a solid rear axle? My only guess is that you weld the axle tubes in at an angle. But then won't you destroy axle bearings? Enlighten me oh great one! :hail:

rear_zps25567b78.jpg

hahaaa!! good god man! then fn wheels and tires are so nasty!!!! how the hell did you get them to camber. or does it just look like they do?

motor4_zpsf4be5bca.jpg

thats sick!! like molded in CC plates lol.

Edited by tony

This is one of the best (if not the best) cars EVER! The craftsmanship on this thing is mind blowing. I'm going to say that's the best looking engine bay I've ever seen.

Now I do have one question. This is the second time I've seen this and I still want to know how you do it. How do you get camber and toe in a solid rear axle? My only guess is that you weld the axle tubes in at an angle. But then won't you destroy axle bearings? Enlighten me oh great one! :hail:

Well I didn't do the narrowing and the angles my old man did. But basically yes to what you said. the thing to keep in mind is the splines have some clearance (they have to). There is enough there to get that toe and camber.

FYI, cars in the transam series and other race series do this trick. Its overkill for this car, its not a track car, but my father wanted to do it.

- - - Updated - - -

rear_zps25567b78.jpg

hahaaa!! good god man! then fn wheels and tires are so nasty!!!! how the hell did you get them to camber. or does it just look like they do?

They do. Check out my other post.

Okay, quick update for everyone.

Luckily I found out the stock 03-04 driveshaft will work in my car, so I didn't need to build a custom one. Saved some money there.

driveshaft_zps123c37a4.jpg

Did alittle more insulating before carpet.

soundDeadening_zpsf3ecec8f.jpg

Carpet went down. Gotta give a shout out to LateModel Resto on the carpet. I have had other carpets in this car, this is by far the best. And yes it is ACC. Thats what I used in my trucking days and should have never let some of these guys steer me wrong. Finally love the carpet in this car.

carpet_zpsfbbaaa06.jpg

Started mocking up the AC under the dash

ACunit_zps462056b5.jpg

Mockup of the console. Yes that is a mini ipad flush mounted with one touch quick release. Will be used for tunes and nav.

ipad_zpsccb600c0.jpg

ipad2_zps847d5517.jpg

Started work on the custom plenum. More to come on this.

Plenum_zpse4ecfdd9.jpg

Got the hood back from my painter. Underside is nicer than the top side. Yes the cowl scoop is going back on.

hood_zpse53f41bc.jpg

Fenders going on.

fenders_zpsc37e255a.jpg

Nose is back on.

Nose_zps5d4aa0ac.jpg

Master cylinder mocked up.

mastercylinder_zps296084dc.jpg

Not using hose clamps, instead the Gates Thermoplastic clamps.

hose1_zpsd4278442.jpg

Tanks mounted.

Tanks_zps48f3bd19.jpg

Started plumbing the lines.

hose2_zps4fa61f5d.jpg

Hell yes Tom! I know you are up to your eyeballs in work to finish the car for Mustang Week right now so it's awesome you took the time to drop a build thread on here! We have quite an impressive list of projects on the site these days! :thumb:

The pics from behind/underneath with the wheels mounted minus tires....that makes me think of very expensive unnecessary things to do to mine. Must resist so my car has a chance of seeing the road before the snow flies! Lol

I think he was taking an intentional break from the build after he got home. To say he thrashed on it to get it to MW would be an understatement.

I'm guessing he is just now getting back on it.

I think he was taking an intentional break from the build after he got home. To say he thrashed on it to get it to MW would be an understatement.

I'm guessing he is just now getting back on it.

Ahhhh gotcha! I need some motivation in my life haha

Haven't really lost steam, but I had neglected so much stuff (work around the house/yard and DD maintenance) for the push for MW that I have had to take some time off from the car to let the bank account recoupe and also get some of my other life "chores" done. Another few weeks or a month at most I will be getting back at it.

Haven't really lost steam, but I had neglected so much stuff (work around the house/yard and DD maintenance) for the push for MW that I have had to take some time off from the car to let the bank account recoupe and also get some of my other life "chores" done. Another few weeks or a month at most I will be getting back at it.

Dam kid almost a year,,, how much yard work you doing? Are you building a DD from scratch or what? Time for some updates!