blwnbyu

Who's running tubular K's????

Hey guys.. I'm looking to do a tubular K for more clearance, less weight, and better handling.

My car is not a drag car in any way, therefore I don't feel like a UPR or something similar would be a good choice. My focus is mainly street, but, I do like to carve the amazing canyons in my area. I know MM is probably the best setup, but I don't really want to spend MM money.

What K members are you guys running and how do you like them?

Also, what Coil-overs are you using? Most coilover setups I see seem to be drag oriented..

I have been looking at Team Z, AJE, and PA Racing setups so far..

if you're looking for a good street/corner carving k-member / coilover combination. Maximum Motorsports is the best way to go. Most companies, like Griggs Racing, AJE, etc. state their k-members are not built to handle the abuse from the street, MM overbuilds there stuff and you would have no issues with it. If my class allowed a k-member swap I'd already be on an MM k-member.

I don't know what the road are like up there in Montana but people around here rock the teamz tubular k on the street all the time. They have different levels of material plus you can get it Powdercoated how you want

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I've been looking and looking.. I think I'm gonna get the MM kit... But... I'm having a hard time spending 1750 for the K and then another 500 just for the fucking struts... If I can find struts cheaper.. I'm all over it..

I have an MM k-member which I got a rediculous deal on locally, It was brand new. Also have MM coilovers. I've had them for a few years now on South Eastern Pennsylvania roads (which are atrocious btw) and have had no issues.

Ok, well you have a few options, personally look at the CC plate, K member, coilover kits that your looking to buy and make sure they all work together (strange and mm caster camber plates are not interchangeable) I personally run a first generation QA1 K, Arms, with a Strange Coilover kit and Team z cc plates. If i didnt get my K on a crazy deal, I would be running a full team z kit.

• Moderators
I'm watching MM's deal of the day to see what pops up... Looking like I might just have to drop $2200.. Damn the Bilstein/MM coilover setup is fucking pricey

This kinda irks me too since I already purchased a full suspension before I got the 351w and decided I needed a tubular K member.

• Moderators
I saw that. I'm gonna watch it every day to see what pops up

It's on somewhat of a cycle. I think the K member (or grip pack) was on sale a couple days ago... give it a week or so and it should come back around again.

It's on somewhat of a cycle. I think the K member (or grip pack) was on sale a couple days ago... give it a week or so and it should come back around again.

I read that.. I'm gonna keep watching. I really only want to do the front right now.. I need all my funds for the motor build lol. If I were to come across a good enough deal I might go for it

I read that.. I'm gonna keep watching. I really only want to do the front right now.. I need all my funds for the motor build lol. If I were to come across a good enough deal I might go for it

I messaged them about Black Friday and cyber Monday. they told me to keep my eyes peeled. just a heads up

I saw that. I'm gonna watch it every day to see what pops up

You should be able to get everything you need, I got my MM K member, A arms, coilovers, etc all on deal of the day and saved a good chunk of change. no complaints as their parts quality is top notch but also there customer service is among the best i've ever experienced if you do run into an issue.

Edited by OnyxCobra

You should be able to get everything you need, I got my MM K member, A arms, coilovers, etc all on deal of the day and saved a good chunk of change.

The discount is enough to sway me to MM. I'm very excited! Now.. if only... trickflow could build my heads..

So I see everyone raving about the MM k-member, but why not go with a QA1, UPR, AJE, Granatelli, D&D, or Dallas Mustangs?   All of them state "not for street use" but all say "for hardcore race use only".   So I'm sure they are up to the abuse of daily driving in my opinion. But what's so wrong about going with one of these?

Hardcore race use in a drag race situation is much different than the abuse if daily driving if you think about it. On a 1/4 mile pass you're never hitting bumps or anything, its smooth over the length of the track, vs on the road where you're constantly absorbing bumps, potholes, ruts, road hazards, constantly. While I'm sure its possible, I wouldn't be entirely convinced.

Glad to see tyne positive things about Team Z. I'm planning on picking that up with their coilover kit in the next few months

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

They make some great parts, when I do a k member it will most definitely be their autocross K like I said earlier in the thread :2thumb:

I know a few guys running their K and have seen it in person on a few cars, haven't heard one complaint and they are very nice pieces.

• Moderators

I currently have a QA1 tubular K-member.  It looks like a nice piece, but I had to notch the holes to fit to my frame so I'm not sure I got the right piece (second hand).  I will be replacing it with a Maximum Motorsports here pretty soon.

Hardcore race use in a drag race situation is much different than the abuse if daily driving if you think about it. On a 1/4 mile pass you're never hitting bumps or anything, its smooth over the length of the track, vs on the road where you're constantly absorbing bumps, potholes, ruts, road hazards, constantly. While I'm sure its possible, I wouldn't be entirely convinced.

But none of the ones i see say "drag race" "road race"  (with the exception of some that say autox).   Are there KNOWN failures of these k-members or something? 

Well the track thing made sense it my mind. Most things I'm reading now are saying that they aren't as strong as a stock k member in a wreck. While I'm sure that's true, how much merit does that hold? Idk.

Well the track thing made sense it my mind. Most things I'm reading now are saying that they aren't as strong as a stock k member in a wreck. While I'm sure that's true, how much merit does that hold? Idk.

ive read that as well, but theres no proof of them being stronger or weaker that i've been able to find.   The only real bad things ive seen is some UPR stuff breaking the steering rack mounts off in the mid 2000's.  I'd love to get a k-member, but no one has much info on good hard evidence as to why ones better than the other :-/   Why this $1200 system is better than this $500 system.