copmagnet

I'm at a total loss

So I'm driving down the street on a nice midnight cruise, I downshift get that nice bubbly exhaust sound and then BOOM! 

I was like what in the world! I got my car home and got it up on stands and found this: 

1477360_588664297855940_797881800_n.jpg

I'm thinking my muffler bearing went bad, but I'm not sure how, Its a pre-greased bearing from napa, and it's only got 200 miles on it! I called napa and explained the situation and they told me I should be running a water cooled muffler or the heat could liquefy the grease and cause it to drip out of the bearing. They also claimed it could have failed because I didn't use a muffler bearing alignment tool when I installed them. 

Should I try a different grease or use the dealer supplied OEM lithium/beryllium bearing grease? should I get  new muffler bearing or get a muffler bearing master rebuild kit? Will a ceramic muffler bearing last longer then a normal mb?

Is there a way to pack new grease in with a normal screw driver? the instructions call for a left handed screwdriver but I only have right handed screwdrivers. 

What do you guys think I should do?

The muffler bearing alignment tool is a gimmick. They self align. If you got it in you literally couldn't have screwed it up. The grease here is the key. Gotta use day old 100% applewood smoked bacon grease. Leave it out at room temp for 24 hours. It'll harden up to a paste but is smooth enough to spread on the alignment shaft and bearing. At the point you just put it on thick as you want. You don't need to water cool it because the bacon grease insulates the bearing from the heat

They only sell the cherrywood smoked bacon here, what do I do know? also, what's the best turn signal oil to use? I'm half QT low in the left blinker. I don't know why my muffler bearing and blinker oil both started having issues the same week I started using that 40/60 water oil mixture. anybody have a step by step on how to rebuild a muffler bearing? 

I defenitly agree with @Det_Riot, the applewood smoked bacon gease is the premium in this case. The Cherrywood can be used but i would recommend changing the grease on bi weekly basis OR when ever there is a full harvest moon. Its been talk here in the north that the moon light can help the grease cure. As for the turn signal fluid, i know the industry is starting to use heavy dilutions of Acetaldehyde Methyl Ethyl Ketone as opposed to the more normal mixtures water,oil, and electolites. However lately i have been filling both front signals with pure Methanol...Because Race Car.

After thought! You might want to check your double reverse grounding circuit on your Flux-Capacitors internal degradation resistor. IF your getting amperage spikes its possible that would have caused your muffler bearing grease to prematurly wear, Even if you had used the applewood! Just a thought

After thought! You might want to check your double reverse grounding circuit on your Flux-Capacitors internal degradation resistor. IF your getting amperage spikes its possible that would have caused your muffler bearing grease to prematurly wear, Even if you had used the applewood! Just a thought

This right here Hunter!!! Can't believe I forgot about the double reverse grounding circuit. How foolish of me. To dive a little more into the technical, when the amperage spikes, the resistance or the internal degradation resistor hits max load and actually if you have a precises enough xenon multimeter you'll see the exact ampere you're seeing is 6.66 coulombs / second....which as we all know is the number of the beast. Once he is summoned it is only a matter of time before the tensile strength of the muffler bearing grease retainer to reach critical load. At this point the allowable surface bearing load far exceeds the actual bearing load, developing transverse bearing cracks along the circumference of the bearing. Once the applewood heats up, it becomes far too viscous to provide any proper lubrication and you'll see massive amounts of seepage through the transverse cracks of the bearing. This will separate it into 6 perfectly sectioned pieces that will then ground out on the double reverse grounding circuit and in turn, self combust and blow out your muffler, just like you pictured!