MaximumRisk

Hood vents. BACK FROM THE DEAD!! :-D

I have always wanted to vent my hood to help relieve underhood temps that the car experiences during hot summer days. I had never found something i liked until Ford came out with a set on the 13 gt. I came across a set on ebay for a very good price so i jumped on it. This will be a slow project as i got a crap load of things going on but it will get done hopefully before it warms up.

let me know what you think

20140328_221654_zpsfd2e7212.jpg

20140328_221742_zps66887216.jpg

Oh this should look interesting!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

You should get the carbon fiber ones once you're done doing the dirty work

the only thing i dont like is how the back of the scoop and the back of the hood don't have even close to the same angle.  I think if you move them down the hood a bit it would bother me less.

These are carbon fiber, but they will be painted to match once they are installed. This set i got at a discount because they have scratches on the clear.

Woah you're painting them car color then they're being put in the cf part?

the only thing i dont like is how the back of the scoop and the back of the hood don't have even close to the same angle. I think if you move them down the hood a bit it would bother me less.

Thats not exactly where they are going sit. I just put them on top of hood to snap a pic besides they will be moulded to the hood not just inserted so that back line is not going to be noticed

Thats not exactly where they are going sit. I just put them on top of hood to snap a pic besides they will be moulded to the hood not just inserted so that back line is not going to be noticed

not sure if i understand your question but what i meant to say that the scoops are carbon fiber but they will be painted to match the car (the wont have the carbon fiber look)

Oh Hahaha okay. I thought that was going to be their resting place

ice_cube_wtf.gif

lol, now i'm confused about what you're doing lol. are you only going to see the holes? not the shape of the vents outer edge? 

Back from the dead!!!, sorry this took me so long to update but I had not done anything to the car. I have been enjoying it all summer and did not want down time LOL!

Anyways today I was able to open up one side of the hood and mock up the driver side vent. Tomorrow I will do the other side and post/write a little more of what has gone into it

here are some pics! tomorrow afternoon should have the other side done  ;)

20140920_142901_zps5d4b3fef.jpg

20140920_142844_zpsefbd2dad.jpg

20140920_142851_zpse4d31e29.jpg

20140920_142910_zps5b3cb994.jpg

20140920_145146_zps1350fd71.jpg

20140920_145154_zps97a6f806.jpg

here is where I am so far. The vents are just sitting on the openings, the are not attached yet as I have to start working underneath the hood, but you get a good visual how they are going to look.

20140921_125853_zps5a7e27e7.jpg
20140921_125842_zps9e0c78f0.jpg
20140921_125825_zps0932a6a8.jpg
20140921_125816_zps08a22941.jpg
20140921_125803_zpsd4983c4d.jpg
20140921_125757_zpsa545f226.jpg
20140921_125746_zps7f3db1d5.jpg

Are your y2k vents functional or are they still sealed up? Love the added scoops

the vents are non functional. I will open up the ones on my hood for extra underhood cooling though.

so the following pics show what I got done today. I mocked up both vents and opened up the CobraR vents. I could not finish the underside because I could not get a hood-stand to do the work off the car. Tomorrow I am calling my friend at the body shop for him to do the underside for me. I am going to have him mold the side vents, open up the underside and paint the hood. 

Here are a few more pics. any questions just ask   ;)

20140921_161937_zps9e9c26d7.jpg

20140921_162529_zpsf74afb17.jpg

20140921_173122_zps4b7ad1ee.jpg

20140921_173105_zpsdb4dc582.jpg

how are you going to cut the underskin? I thought about doing it to mine but wasn't sure about the bottom. How come the pass side looks like it sticks up but the driver side looks more flush?

I am not 100% on how I am going to cut the underside just yet (which pattern to follow) I have to dismount the hood and see which is the best line to follow. As for the passenger side vent looking higher than the driver side, it is that the vents are not mounted to the hood yet I just laid them in the opening so it probably moved when I was taking the picture. I will be taking the hood off a little later today and take it to my friends body shop to analyze the bottom cut situation

I would probably just leave the bottom the way it is and paint the interior of the hood black so it doesn't show us as bad.  There should be holes at the back of the hood which is where the heat should build up the most maybe drill a few more there and it should suck the heat out of those holes no problem. 

looks good so far bottom cuts will be tricky measure twice cut once lol     I I glassed in mesh to cover the heat extractor vents in my hood. Just a suggestion. Love it so far looking forward to the finish product.