Zach

Rear main seal

Is it normal for us 5.0 guys to have a new rear main start leaking right off the bat with a new engine? I am getting it fixed but I was just currious if this is common.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's all new components in the stock configuration, pcv to intake vacuum and breather hose from valve cover to intake tube.

Ya mine has mabey 500 miles on it and the engine is new so it has little to no blow by. Do I need to just go ahead and swap to a remote breather tank?

It's a plausible theory.....I have no idea how those systems work though, mine is also leaking though I know my crap is old, my crank is OEM and y shit probably doesnt seal right anymore so I've basically given up

Yea it's just irritating with a new engine ya know , and now I don't know if I need to replace the rear main seal or chase down possible excessive crank case pressure. And as much time as I spend cleaning the underside of this damn thing I don't want to have it covered in oil again.

I have about 2k on my motor and it leaks, but that's because of pressurizing my crank case with boost. Now with the vacuum pump it should be ok but I still need to replace the seal. Basically, shitty design from the start, very prone to leaking... it's kinda like what they say about harleys, you know they're running if they're leaking oil.

I have about 2k on my motor and it leaks, but that's because of pressurizing my crank case with boost. Now with the vacuum pump it should be ok but I still need to replace the seal. Basically, shitty design from the start, very prone to leaking... it's kinda like what they say about harleys, you know they're running if they're leaking oil.

yea same as for air cooled vw's lol. Ya I don't physically see it leaking wile it's runing but when I back it out of the garage there's maybe a thimble or a little more of oil on the ground. There's evidence on my x pipe that it's been leaking but not like it's coated the underside of my car. I guess I'll try the remote breather tank over the pcv then replace the seal, if that doesn't work then I'll just give up and clean the underside of the car after every time I drive it.

Believe me, you'll know when it lets go. Ask me how I know.

i bet it will drop a lot of oil quick, I'm hoping it's just the pcv can't keep up.

If the rear main seal was installed incorrectly - meaning they didn't clean up the crank, or installed it without lubing it up with engine oil, it could have burnt out right at startup.  those were meant to be installed almost dripping in oil.  

and, as everyone else mentioned, crankcase pressure will cause it too.  

It is a possibility but not likely because it was a highly reputable shop that did it. But that said it could still be possible because everyone make mistakes. So I'll go about it with crank pressure first then replace the seal.

Has anyone put black high temp silcone around the outside of the seal? Just wondering if this would help with a leak.

I have done this.  It doesn't really help.  It does make for a serious pain in the ass for cleaning off the crank and block when you're ready to replace the rear main seal with a new one.  I recommend not doing it.

I used a Teflon one piece rear main in my car years ago when I first put in the TKO and it has been leak free even to this day. Maybe I just got lucky, I'm not sure. I'm not sure what kind of seal you originally used, but maybe try one of them if you haven't before messing with the pcv system and all that.

Ya mine has mabey 500 miles on it and the engine is new so it has little to no blow by. Do I need to just go ahead and swap to a remote breather tank?

new engines typically have MORE blow by... because your rings are still wearing in.

new engines typically have MORE blow by... because your rings are still wearing in.

thanks for the correction I never would have thought of it that way, I guess you learn something new everyday. That would make sense. And they just used a normal felpro rear main, I've already ordered my breather tank so ima gonna do that then if I'm forced to replace I will go with the Teflon seal over the normal one.

I keep seeing people talk about break in motors. How are you guys doing it? I was just going to start it and pound through the gears.

Make sure it's warmed up and not leaking first. I started mine and let it idle for a couple minutes. Then changed the oil to get the assembly lube out. Drove it about a half mile and then hit full boost. The engine turned 100 mines on the dyno. Total Seal says the first 20 minutes is the most critical for ring seating.

Yea, I was talking to todd and he linked me to a really technical write up and it basically said just beat the piss out if it in third and fourth the seat the rings really quick, since the whole idle car at 2500 for 10 minutes thing does nothing but start to glaze cylinder walls. I'm curious though how to do mine because its going to be gapped for boost but run n/a for a little bit before I get the turbo in.

Well I finally mustered up the will power to pull my rear seal this weekend. It had just a tiny abrasion on the bottom of the seal but I guess that's enough. I got the Teflon seal (one with out a spring ) any advice o. Installing this thing correctly would be appreciated, so I can get it on when I find the will power to work on it again.

So not excited to do mine....again...... I might put it together and leave the trans out then start it to make sure the stupid shit isn't gonna leak

good idea just have to put the bellhousing and starter on it.

Highly doubt you're leaking at idle. As there should be vacuum in the crankcase.

Did you use thread sealer when you installed your flywheel bolts?

Yupp. I haven't driven my car but 1/2 mile since I put it in. My pcv system is jacked up though. And I revved it a handful of times. Literally though, start my car, let it idle, oil down my bell housing.

You might have a groove worn in your crank. You should look for one of the repair kits.

example.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-6701RK/Redi-Sleeve-Rear-Main-Seal-Repair-Sleeve-Mustang-79-04

Lol I just put one on before the t56 went in. My car just hates me

Lol I just put one on before the t56 went in. My car just hates me

I think mine does too, I'm like I do all these nice things to you to make you look good go faster etc... And it's like f u I'm gonna break.

well does anyone on here have the freaking rear main seal installation tool or have any advice on getting one in properly. i used the old seal block of wood technique and was very car full took my time etc and just barley i mean barely pinched the outer most lip of the seal and i don't won't to try again and get it on and risk the damn thing leaking or do i want to ruin a mother 30$ teflon seal. i swear if i get this thing back together and it leaks again I'm just going to sell it i just want the damn thing to be right so i can enjoy it.

well does anyone on here have the freaking rear main seal installation tool or have any advice on getting one in properly. i used the old seal block of wood technique and was very car full took my time etc and just barley i mean barely pinched the outer most lip of the seal and i don't won't to try again and get it on and risk the damn thing leaking or do i want to ruin a mother 30$ teflon seal. i swear if i get this thing back together and it leaks again I'm just going to sell it i just want the damn thing to be right so i can enjoy it.

Zach, have you gone over to / called Autozone to see if they'll rent you one?  

Zach, have you gone over to / called Autozone to see if they'll rent you one?

done checked auto zone and orielys and they've never heard of one , just used a block of wood and a hamer.