Tabres

Guys who have rewraped their engine harness - come on in

I'm at the point where I'm thinking I'd like to remove all of the split loom covering from my engine harness in an effort to shrink the size of it and do a better job of hiding some of the harness, specifically all of the bulk of the injector harness.  I've already got a good idea of how I'd like to hide it (just tuck it behind the fuel rails,basically).

What have you guys used to wrap the engine harness?

I can't imagine that just normal electrical tape would be the greatest idea, both in regards to visual appearance and resistance against abrasion.  However, when I did my COP conversion I stripped the main harness and cut off the connectors and soldered everything in and I rewrapped as much of the harness as I could with cloth electrical tape and that has seemed to hold up well.  So, at this point, that's what I'm thinking about using.  I have considered picking up some tech-flex type covering but I'm really not crazy about the thought of removing and reinstalling all of the connectors.

Just looking for some ideas/opinions, please!

For reference, this will be my starting point:

engine_zps7e8eeb54.jpg

Long term plan is to relocate the battery, dump the washer tank (idk if I've ever used it in 13 years of ownership), relocate the fuse box and pick-up some rivet in Scott Rod panels.

No idea, honestly. Its been a long time since I've seen a well kept torch red car in person. I picked the color from a collection of color chips that my powdercoater had at his shop.

you can get tech flex that is split on one side just like the split loom to where you don't have to take it off.  Keep the seem on the bottom and you can't tell.  I used a mix of both depending on if I could get the tech flex over the end or not.

you can get tech flex that is split on one side just like the split loom to where you don't have to take it off.  Keep the seem on the bottom and you can't tell.  I used a mix of both depending on if I could get the tech flex over the end or not.

Happen to know which version of tech-flex it was or have a link to it?  There are so many versions of their product on their website...

LOL at your "starting point" so beautiful already. To answer your question i would vote on regular fabric electrical tape. we use this at woek all the time and i love it. doesnt get that weird "sticky" that regular tape gets.

Definitely Tech Flex. I have never used the kind that is split down the side, didn't know they made that honestly.

I hate wire loom/convoluted tubing with a passion. Some day there will be none left on my car lol.

Definitely Tech Flex. I have never used the kind that is split down the side, didn't know they made that honestly.

I hate wire loom/convoluted tubing with a passion. Some day there will be none left on my car lol.

My favorite is when the wire loom gets all hard and when you move a wire loom 1cm its so brittle that it cracks open!

i did it the dumb way and wrapped it in electrical tape.  oh well lol  

i did it that way too.  mines hidden under the upper intake and wraps behind the fuel rail.  can barely see it.  granted this is a 5.0 so it's not an apples to apples

Yea, different but still, if you can hide it, do it! ha   it didnt turn out horribly bad though. could have went better had i not been doing it in the dead of winter. 

DSC02969.jpg

DSC00901.jpg

DSC00902.jpg

DSC00905.jpg

EFFD2475-4B83-4AC1-BC10-9CB0875274CD_zps

I'm probably an idiot for this but I think I'm going to try to do it with the harness on the car.

Still debating on the tech-flex (I know this is the way I should be doing it, I'm just a little lazy), but with the overexpanded version and the normal Flexo PET, should be able to get it done...

i did it that way too.  mines hidden under the upper intake and wraps behind the fuel rail.  can barely see it.  granted this is a 5.0 so it's not an apples to apples

Basically did it this way also.  Just bought new convoluted tubing, ripped the old shit off, new tubing and wrapped it with a shit load of 3M tape.   

I'm probably an idiot for this but I think I'm going to try to do it with the harness on the car.

Still debating on the tech-flex (I know this is the way I should be doing it, I'm just a little lazy), but with the overexpanded version and the normal Flexo PET, should be able to get it done...

again, not apples to apples, but i did mine when it was in the car.  

thought everybody was using this stuff by now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-Flexo-F6-Braided-Cable-Sleeving-Wrap-Split-Loom-Techflex-F6N0-50BK-/350999180283?pt=Apparel_Merchandise&var=&hash=item51b92e73fb&vxp=mtr

With the weave overlapping its hard to see that it is split even if your looking but simply keeping it on the bottom of the viewing angle and it looks exactly the same. 

Another method that has become popular is wrapping it with tesa-tape.  You have probably seen it on some import vehicles and I thought someone on here used it on theirs . Its like electrical tape but its got a cloth exterior.  I am not sure the advantages of it other then it does look nice though honestly.   I like the tech flex because its durable and also makes it a lot easier to pull harnesses as the braided plastic exterior doesn't get caught on as much and glides over most surfaces really easily.

thought everybody was using this stuff by now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-Flexo-F6-Braided-Cable-Sleeving-Wrap-Split-Loom-Techflex-F6N0-50BK-/350999180283?pt=Apparel_Merchandise&var=&hash=item51b92e73fb&vxp=mtr

With the weave overlapping its hard to see that it is split even if your looking but simply keeping it on the bottom of the viewing angle and it looks exactly the same. 

Another method that has become popular is wrapping it with tesa-tape.  You have probably seen it on some import vehicles and I thought someone on here used it on theirs . Its like electrical tape but its got a cloth exterior.  I am not sure the advantages of it other then it does look nice though honestly.   I like the tech flex because its durable and also makes it a lot easier to pull harnesses as the braided plastic exterior doesn't get caught on as much and glides over most surfaces really easily.

* Link bookmarked * lol

The thing I really like about the regular tech flex is a lot of times, unless the connector at the end of the harness/wire is pretty big, you can push on the end of the tech flex and expand it, and slip it right over. I seriously love the stuff. I want an entire wall covered with spools of tech flex to make every wire beautiful from now on lol.

* Link bookmarked * lol

The thing I really like about the regular tech flex is a lot of times, unless the connector at the end of the harness/wire is pretty big, you can push on the end of the tech flex and expand it, and slip it right over. I seriously love the stuff. I want an entire wall covered with spools of tech flex to make every wire beautiful from now on lol.

if it were not so cold in my garage, I would show you my tech flex drawer.  I know that obsession as well as the hatred of split loom. 

Also I didn't post that link up to show it was the best/cheapest its the first thing that came up on ebay with a search for split tech flex

It's honestly pretty dang cheap on Amazon.  I don't know if it's cheaper or comparable to other places, but $6-$7 for a 10-foot section doesn't seem bad to me.  Especially when I have a prime account (if you don't, you're a fool.  Greatest. Thing. Ever.) and have it to me in 2-days for free.

I think I may pick some 1/8", 1/4", 1/2", and 3/4", 10-feet each.  I would think that should be more than enough in both size and lengths to get the job done.

I did the same thing years ago. the problem was that it made the harness so incredibly stiff that I couldn't move it at all.

When I stripped my harness, about 95% of the split loom I removed was so brittle that it just flaked off. But its also 20 years old. The way I figure it is that if my current loom lasts even half as long, it was worth the $30 I spent on it. 

Some people have told me that it looks like a brand new harness.

20140814_223407_zpsyqlamf87.jpg