GearGambler

Spare Tire Delete

I'm wondering who has removed their spare tire?  I have AAA for when I'm local.  I also have a truck and trailer if I don't want to use AAA.  The spare tire, jack, and lug wrench probably weighs in at 40-50 lbs I would think (I didnt weigh it).  

Thoughts about removing this stuff?  

i've removed mine years ago.  as for putting something in place there to keep the floor flat, i haven't done anything.  i sadly just have the carpet there and it just doesn't cover the whole space now.  it is nice to have that extra bit of area for stuff though.  i keep my cleaning supply carrier in there and it keeps it nice and secure.

I thought about taking out the carpet and trying to do something to add extra storage.  for now, I'm just using an old can that I punched a hole in, along with the tire / jack retainer for some floor support.  there's still no support towards the back of the car.

my plan has always been to convert it into a storage space but just never got around to it.  i was going to cut a piece of mdf as a new floor board.

I've never had a spare tire and have only been fucked over by it once :knockonwood: once my car gets caged and tubbed it'll probably just get a fresh floor pan in the rear that will be all flat

Agreed that it is wasted space.  It would be nice to see someone incorporate it into storage, rather than just cover it up.  I've seen some pics of sound system components utilizing that space, but my amp is under the passenger seat, and the two 8" subs are in a removable box.  

Do you daily the car? 

If not you might not need it.

I always resisted the urge to ditch and pop a sub in because I can change my flat tire and be home before AAA even gets there. 

My 01 had a spare, but it was pointless. I never checked it and the one time I might've needed it, it was flat. The 04 didn't come with one. I thought about tracking down a spare and a jack, but I threw my tool kit in the spot instead.

i dd mine in the summer, and that small thing would never fit over the brembo's on the front now, so it is almost worthless to me unless i get a flat on the rear.   theres plenty of tow companies waiting to get my money (insurance covers it anyways) 

The spare, jack and lug wrench are on the garage floor right now.  That lug wrench wouldn't fit anyway - its too fat to get in the recess where the lugs are anyway!  

I'm not sure what my plans are for that opening.  I would really like to carpet it and make it usable, but that may be tough when trying to keep weight savings in mind.  

Thanks to everyone for the input!  

i dd mine in the summer, and that small thing would never fit over the brembo's on the front now, so it is almost worthless to me unless i get a flat on the rear.   theres plenty of tow companies waiting to get my money (insurance covers it anyways) 

I'm curious if the 17" Cobra/Mach/Bullitt spare clears the big brake kits available for our cars. 

I've used my spare a few times.  But once more work gets underway to the car I'd probably throw it out.  Especially after the 14" brake conversion.  But I have always thought about throwing a full size in it's place and creating a nice floor to surround it.  That way I'd have a spare just in case.

I'm curious if the 17" Cobra/Mach/Bullitt spare clears the big brake kits available for our cars. 

I dont think it would have any problems clearing the circumference of the rotor, but the offset of the spare rim is so positive it would come in contact with an caliper larger than stock.   thats my thought at least.  The stock 17"s you could get on the SN's dont clear my 00' R brembos at all.  not even close without a massive spacer hah 

Wasted space in my opinion. @95riosnake turned his into a nice place for some boom

Sent from Space

Sure did! My spare was useless because there was no way I was ever going to be able to get a jack under the car on the side of the road anyway. AAA membership and out came the spare lol.

It's extra useless now because there's no way it will fit front or rear with the brakes I have now.

Sure did! My spare was useless because there was no way I was ever going to be able to get a jack under the car on the side of the road anyway. AAA membership and out came the spare lol.

It's extra useless now because there's no way it will fit front or rear with the brakes I have now.

This is about where I'm at now.  spare / jack / lug wrench is in the shed.  AAA at the ready.  

what size wheel/tire are these spares? i forget but if it's like the little 13" donut you see in most cars i can't imagine half of us would even be able to drive with them on lol. i think i'd drag rockers 

what size wheel/tire are these spares? i forget but if it's like the little 13" donut you see in most cars i can't imagine half of us would even be able to drive with them on lol. i think i'd drag rockers 

The Cobra's come with a 17" spare to clear the front brakes.  I forgot the tire size mounted on them however.  

And there brings another point to throw out the spare.  If you have a GT and have upgraded to larger brakes and calipers, then the factory spare will probably no longer fit.

The Cobra's come with a 17" spare to clear the front brakes.  I forgot the tire size mounted on them however.  

And there brings another point to throw out the spare.  If you have a GT and have upgraded to larger brakes and calipers, then the factory spare will probably no longer fit.

right, thats my problem too, it would fit on the rear, but not the front.