copmagnet

Turbo mach 1 build

off topic what is that windage tray and who makes it? does this work in conjunction with the factory half tray?

It is the canton tray. They have two models for the 4.6, the screen (this one) and then a louver style. This one was three dollars cheaper so I saw now real advantage other then looks to get the other. It does not work with factory scraper.

Geez I didn't know Eaton setups were getting that expensive. That's ridiculous. Have you considered centrifugal blowers at all?

I really like the car though. It and all the new parts look really nice.

my original plan was to get a d1.. Until the price of those started climbing also. Maybe it was just because of tax season.. We will see how the price are affected after MW, lots if totalled termis.

and for that you might as well buy a new KB or something

to bad KB only made the 2.1 for the mach 1, and stopped making the kit years ago. There is one floating around for 1500$ but its just the intake, intercooler and blower. Its been passed through quiet a few mach owners recently and each sells it not wanting to deal with the bullshit.

i love the idea and the price of the on 3 performance kits. I just cant deal with the quality issues. for every 1 good story you hear there seems to be 5 bad ones. i know you can handle the modifications though! :D

I have been doing a lot of researching, and apparently the quality changed. People aren't really having as many issues now a days vs back when they first came out. I was talking to a guy on Facebook who said all three kits he bought all went in with little to no issues, although he said get new v bands. So. Its cheap enough I'm willing to take the risk on it.

So I have everything for my bottom end except piston rings, rod and main bearings, and oil pump bolts..

What bearings do you high HP guys use? I see people say get king, some say clevite h series, some say clevite 77's.. I'm lost.. Input would be awesome.

Who file fit their own rings? Did you use a hand file in a vice or use a ring file machine?

What's the running cost to clean up a head? Deck, polish cam journal? Anything else I should need done?

What assembly lubes are you guys using?

Where can I find low priced tensioner and timing guides? I found a complete set on eBay for a sohc for 76$ but couldn't find the secondary timing tensioner.

Would it be worth it to replace the springs, valves and retainers or just reuse the stock ones?

I used Federal Mogul and Clevite bearings. I went with two brands because I have Chevy rods and needed a different size.

I filed my own rings. I did it all by hand. No vice. Just make sure to file them straight. Then deburr the edges with a fine file.

I think I paid to have my heads gone through. That was cleaned and decked. I already had Comp springs though.

I used the assembly lube from Napa. It's in a white tube. I've used it in a few builds. I use a lot of it.

I haven't looked for cheap tensioners. I'm actually looking to upgrade.

If you have the budget I'd upgrade the springs at least. Never know what the future holds and it's easier now then when the engine is together.

I got acl h series rod and main bearings, should have my motor back from the machine shop Monday, photos then!!

On a side note, picked up a 98 cobra short block for 350, sold it for 900$, getting some new parts for my short block!!!

Bump it up! The build is coming in two weeks!!!!!!!!!!!

Got my motor from the machine shop today! so excited. so pretty.. so expensive. much fast, many aluminum, much forged. so doge. 

I have to pick up some lint free rags (apparently the blue ones from advance are not lint free) and some block paint so I can get it all leaned up and painted. 

My bearings have not come in to the shop yet (sadly) so I cannot start assembly today like I was planning. BUTTTTTT I'm awesome. 

*edit* ignore my handgun in the right corner.. lol 

build.jpg

as requested.. 

I separated everything into its respective group, sprayed (wd-40) and inspected the block and then took some photos! 

I picked up a canton 7qt pan, it is dented but still works. maybe somebody here can help me pull the dent????????

I decided to order the TSS billet gears tonight (damn you Brent >:(.. ) 

I is so exciteded 

post-81-0-88402000-1420950040_thumb.jpg

post-81-0-70476500-1420950049_thumb.jpg

post-81-0-88627000-1420950063_thumb.jpg

post-81-0-17504600-1420950074_thumb.jpg

post-81-0-84418000-1420950086_thumb.jpg

that's true dedication.  engine assembly in the living room/dining room table.

looking good so far.  when do you think you'll have it ready to drop in?

Yea, my mom isn't thrilled...but I have two stangs taking up the whole garage..oh well. 

I just ordered bearings from cushman today, so I can start assembly this weekend, I am trying to have the old motor out this weekend also, maybe even torn down, I need the heads and cams. hopefully done, turbo kit installed and tuned by summer? we will see. 

• Moderators

You wouldn't even find the pieces of my body if I did that in our house.

Just ordered my bearings, they should be here thursday night. I also ordered an east wood block cleaning brush set and high temp gloss black paint for my block. 

I have been thinking about changing my name on here......lets see if anybody can guess it. winner gets a cyber-five!

post-81-0-31419300-1421110192_thumb.jpg

Just ordered my bearings, they should be here thursday night. I also ordered an east wood block cleaning brush set and high temp gloss black paint for my block.

I have been thinking about changing my name on here......lets see if anybody can guess it. winner gets a cyber-five!

mongoose?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You wouldn't even find the pieces of my body if I did that in our house.

My Dad and I put my engine together in his finished basement over the holidays last year.  I mentioned the idea in passing as a joke to my Dad one afternoon because he had done it once like 35 years earlier with a 302.  The next morning when I woke up he came to me and said, "Talked to your mom, she's ok with it."  I had no idea he even took me seriously when I mentioned it.  My Mom is a cool lady, but I'm sure there had to be some significant sweet-talking/bribing on his part for that one.

If I tried to do that in my own home though, yeah, there would be a pile of fresh dirt in the backyard where my wife would have buried me.

My mom was less then thrilled. especially once i started cracking mains loose of the 98 cobra motor i flipped and that wonderful burnt oil/ diff fluid smell filled the house.. 

she told me do what I need to do.. I mean hey, at least i put cardboard down..My GF walked into my house and saw it and said fuck no, don't get use to building shit in the house. Half my car is in my house. all i need is a transmission and I have a whole drive train in the house. 

I'm getting so excited to get home this weekend. 

• Moderators

I think the most that any car part was allowed in my house was my coilovers.  They sat in the loft for a month or so, then I started getting dirty looks.

I told my mom not to let my sisters ex boyfreind drive my GT, she did not listen and let him, he destroyed my transmission. so i had to put it in the garage to replace it, and refused to have my mach outside so..i have no room in my garage..

I'll have to get a photo from the side. I don't know if that will work.. I still have the stock pan. I can use either.

I'll have to get a photo from the side. I don't know if that will work.. I still have the stock pan. I can use either.

wow was that done in shipping? or bought that way?  either way what the heck hit it that hard haha.

Im with the other guys, heating it up and pounding/pulling it back into shape.  if you can get to that spot from the inside,(I think we're looking at the bottom of the pan here?) i bet pounding down on the bottom of the pan from inside would get it back into shape.  then fill it with water and see if it leaks at the welds. i'd still run it after that for sure

wow was that done in shipping? or bought that way?  either way what the heck hit it that hard haha.

Im with the other guys, heating it up and pounding/pulling it back into shape.  if you can get to that spot from the inside,(I think we're looking at the bottom of the pan here?) i bet pounding down on the bottom of the pan from inside would get it back into shape.  then fill it with water and see if it leaks at the welds. i'd still run it after that for sure

I got the pan (free) like that, my buddy went to an aluminum pan so he gave me this one. I figured if he ran it with the dent I will be fine. 

I believe this happened on a speed bump. 

you're putting together a whole engine from scratch, this is childs play here :)

I have never had to use a BFH to bend something to assemble a motor. not to put a motor into the k member.. BFH like a boss. 

Washed, scrubbed and painted the block. after it dries in a few hours I will do the last clean up of the cylinders and mains, get ready to drop the crank in. gotta set up my dial indicator and check dat end play yo'

post-81-0-28842300-1421530148_thumb.jpg

post-81-0-33569700-1421530162_thumb.jpg