WildWillyWalker

Smitty's Build (Paint, IRS swap, etc.)

As long as it allows, I will update the purchase list to give everyone an idea of what an IRS swap costs. Also, we plan to post a lot of pictures to try and document everything.

Used 03/04 Cobra IRS with 70k miles - $375

Precision U-Joint #448 (Fisher at cost) - $35

03/04 Cobra Yoke #F65Z-4782-AA (Ford at cost) - $25.08

I'm going to throw up some pictures of Josh's car. He'll be along with details. At the moment it's being painted and he just got an 04/05 Cobra IRS to install. That won't be until after some possible powder coating, bushing, and coilover upgrades though!

Roof, rear sail panels, and left rear quarter done:

2011-06-19_20-27-00_678.jpg

Yeah, I sanded that sail panel. Get some:

2011-06-19_20-27-28_298.jpg

2011-06-19_20-27-40_513.jpg

2011-06-19_21-06-49_811.jpg

2011-06-19_21-07-06_530.jpg

2011-06-19_21-07-42_539.jpg

The mustang crew pitching in. Left: the owner himself. Right: owner of a 95 that is totally ripped apart and doing a ton of body work. Back: owner of a 97 Cobra with a Vortech. Mmm.

2011-06-19_21-08-15_452.jpg

2011-06-19_21-11-14_211.jpg

Now for the sexy part. After seeing this with my own eyes... I plan on getting one too! Hope I can find one for a good price as well. It's currently in pieces.

2011-06-24_21-12-55_581.jpg

2011-06-24_21-13-20_99.jpg

2011-06-24_21-13-26_988.jpg

2011-06-24_21-13-12_188.jpg

that he did. not sure he posted the correct pictures either. hence the "f" part lol. i have so much more work done on the irs now. just got the subframe back from Pa powder works. FTBR bushings in the frame and upper control arms. grease fittings installed.

so i just failed hard 3 times with pics. i had about 40 pics ready to go and closed the damn window!!! so im just gonna do acouple at a time maybe i can handle that.iphonejosh022.jpgiphonejosh023.jpgiphonejosh024.jpgiphonejosh026.jpgiphonejosh034.jpgiphonejosh035.jpgPPG NCP250 prime its purple!! excellent prime. stuffs expensive though 55 dollars a quart!iphonejosh057.jpgiphonejosh059.jpgiphonejosh069.jpgiphonejosh070.jpgiphonejosh071.jpgmy chrome was pitting sooooiphonejosh081.jpgiphonejosh082.jpgiphonejosh092.jpgcustome red paint!iphonejosh157.jpgthats all for now. i have a sinking feeling this piece of computer is about to explode!

As you can see, the IRS is totally stripped apart.

IMG_0614.jpg

Monsterous axles:

IMG_0612.jpg

IMG_0611.jpg

IMG_0616.jpg

IMG_0618.jpg

Might get rebuilt, might not?:

IMG_0619.jpg

IMG_0622.jpg

IMG_0623.jpg

These are getting rebuilt:

IMG_0628.jpg

Some random pieces tucked away:

IMG_0633.jpg

Stock Bilsteins for sale:

IMG_0634.jpg

Here's some pictures regarding the special u-joint. The IRS didn't come with the yoke so this is a new Cobra yoke:

IMG_0630.jpg

Here's just the u-joint:

IMG_0629.jpg

The u-joint has two different sizes. One fits the stock GT driveshaft and the other fits the Cobra yoke. You can see how much smaller the gt is:

IMG_0632.jpg

IMG_0631.jpg

so heres a couple more picsjune26079.jpgjune26080.jpg roof after the first buff. notice the reflection! looks nicejune26082.jpgjune26084.jpgWilly starting with the IRS tear downjune26099.jpgjune26102.jpgparts that need powder coated/ paintedjune26101.jpgremoving the crappy stock upper control arm bushingsjune26103.jpgjune26105.jpgjune26106.jpgjune26104.jpg hopefully no wheel hop after this. planning on the maximum motorsports kit.gonna be doing some clear coating later tonight and got a big work day saturday so wildWillyWalker or i will have some new pics up

About to come out and play:

IMG_0635.jpg

Slowmotion Motorsports work area...lol:

IMG_0636.jpg

IMG_0638.jpg

IMG_0639.jpg

IMG_0641.jpg

IMG_0642.jpg

IMG_0643.jpg

IMG_0644.jpg

The quarter is totally done and buffed but the door needs buffed. Quite a difference:

IMG_0645.jpg

Smitty ran out of paint so a paint shop took a picture of the sail panel but they didn't do such a great job. The darker panel was their attempt. Not even close:

IMG_0646.jpg

IMG_0648.jpg

It is a sick black though. I believe it's Tuxedo black from Ford?:

IMG_0647.jpg

Close up of the finished product:

IMG_0650.jpg

Light covers to match:

IMG_0651.jpg

IMG_0655.jpg

IMG_0656.jpg

IMG_0657.jpg

IMG_0658.jpg

Some work, some don't:

IMG_0660.jpg

IMG_0661.jpg

IMG_0663.jpg

Oh yeah. A $10 purchase. Maybe some side pipes:

IMG_0664.jpg

IMG_0667.jpg

Why's he have a smirk on his face? Oh, just because he'll be sanding that panel for the next 3 months thanks to Josh "The Runs" Smith. haha:

IMG_0666.jpg

DONE PILE!:

IMG_0665.jpg

IMG_0668.jpg

Got alittle work done. got a mini write up on how to change the differential axle seals. keep in mind all these pics are off my iphone.

driftandcar015.jpg

first step is to identify your bad seal

driftandcar017.jpg now i dont have i picture of the puller in the housing but you get the idea. use an inside jaw puller with a slide hammer and pull the seal out.driftandcar019.jpgheres a comparison of the old seal and the new one

driftandcar021.jpgnew seal ready to go in

driftandcar023.jpg this is the tool i use to press in the new axle seal. i bought it from my local cornwell tool dealer but i think craftsman/sears has a similar item.

driftandcar025.jpgkinda self expalanitory. use a hammer and seal driver to install seal

driftandcar027.jpg congrats now reapeat on the other side!

thats all for today. was trying to go to the scrap yard today to make some cash but with the weather its not looking like thats gonna happen. maybe next week :blue:

Four score and seven years later, I had my camera at Josh's house. He lowered the front of his car some more and the tie rods were bent even with a bumpsteer kit. We went to the hardware store and he made some sleeves to correct the angle. Also, he put on '96+ spindles.

IMG_2047.jpg

IMG_2048.jpg

The wheels got painted again. It's Ford's Tuxedo Black. Also, the front bumper was the last part of the car that needed wet sanded and buffed since the painting of the car.

IMG_2049.jpg

IMG_2050.jpg

IMG_2055.jpg

I tried to take a picture of the difference between buffed/non buffed. The further spot is not buffed.

IMG_2057.jpg

Oh yeah, gonna look hot.

IMG_2058.jpg

IMG_2059.jpg

IMG_2060.jpg

18x9.5 in the front... too close.

IMG_2061.jpg

man cell phone pics suck so bad!

1. I'll come over one weekend and bring my Canon and do some shooting.

2. When do we paint my car, keeping it black with the top being Sterling Gray?

3. Why do I see everyone working but Sean?

I'M BUSY TAKING PICTURES! :) Some pictures would be sweet Steve, and I still don't know how I feel about the gray roof thing.

Well, the IRS really got put on hold since, well, the aftermarket parts cost a lot! Plus, we needed to get the subframe sand blasted so it could be powder coated. The subframe has finally been powder coated and the bushings are in. The upper control arms are also powder coated the and the bushings/grease fittings are in. The lower control arms are next to be powder coated which we will be doing since we bought a powder coater and have a household oven in the shed. :D I don't have any pictures but Josh purchased MM coilovers with the maximum spring rating and MM race valve shocks. CUZ RACE CAR!!!!!

IMG_4733_zps9c156a4a.jpg

IMG_4734_zps0476799b.jpg

IMG_4735_zpsd4dd183a.jpg

IMG_4739_zps5d504dba.jpg

IMG_4740_zps77891a08.jpg

IMG_4741_zps84833069.jpg

IMG_4742_zpsa01da00e.jpg

IMG_4743_zpseb22396d.jpg

IMG_4744_zpsa6151021.jpg

IMG_4749_zps6977de8a.jpg

Some pictures of the bushings. These things are awesome. Spiral grooves for the grease. Bushings were left in the freezer, then installed. They slipped right in, mmm.

IMG_4750_zps6efc0be9.jpg

IMG_4751_zps2eaff386.jpg

IMG_4752_zpsc6ff9a0b.jpg

IMG_4753_zps9f0f4e78.jpg

I'm going to try to do a photoshop rendering of it so I can see it but I think it might look pretty good. I want something to match my inserts on my seats or at least be in the same color wheel lol.

man you guys are doing work on this car! can't wait to see it all together! Do you think the wheels will clear the coilovers when there's weight on them? As in i think when the car has weight on it, since the wheels will go up at a different angle then the coilovers they should clear then? Unless that pic was taken with the control arm jacked up and at ride height.

the wheels fit just fine i have used these wheels with the coil overs for years. its close but it fits. the car is going to be a track car so i was looking for the most width i could get in the front. as far as the u joint parts.... i have no idea what it cost at this point. i sold my SRA so i didnt want to pull out the pinion flange so just went with these parts instead

I never seem to keep track very well.... These are the only prices I listed which are in the first post.

Used 03/04 Cobra IRS with 70k miles - $375

Precision U-Joint #448 (Fisher at cost) - $35

03/04 Cobra Yoke #F65Z-4782-AA (Ford at cost) - $25.08

Quick i phone picture update. Ford racing rear IRS girdle. I was thinking about a billet Fore cover but they are way to expensive. And I decided this cover would be stronger than the stock cover with the billet flow brace so....[ATTACH]1007[/ATTACH]more to come soon I hope!

post-172-13881836794003_thumb.jpg

One year later...REVIVE!!More!!!

Haha, tell me about it. It hasn't been touched much at all. The IRS is bolted in but needs tightened down. We actually just did a little to the car this past weekend. Josh welded in some panels for the engine bay and I did some grinding. He also cut out the front passenger floor for the through floor subframe connectors.

He also bought a '98 Cobra engine which I don't think is in the thread at all. I'll let [MENTION=172]Sleeperstang1994[/MENTION] catch you up.

Wow well I'll see if I can snap some iphone pics after lunch. But as WWW stated working on her through floors and getting the engine bay done. IRS is done. Just needs tightened up. Had a lot of house projects this summer, didn't get any car time. Dang family takes up all my free time lol

Funny thing is, when I was researching before I started my IRS swap, this build was one of the references I remember finding.... and my swap has been complete for over a year lol. I know how it is though, some projects tend to get drawn out. Hence why my winter 2012/2013 build has turned into the Winter 2012-Spring 2014 build, haha

Funny thing is, when I was researching before I started my IRS swap, this build was one of the references I remember finding.... and my swap has been complete for over a year lol. I know how it is though, some projects tend to get drawn out. Hence why my winter 2012/2013 build has turned into the Winter 2012-Spring 2014 build, haha

im honored and stunned that you would use my build up as a reference. I will try to get some pics of the completed IRS tonight. it looks good. just have to have a little help shimming my lower control arms and its all good. well I need bolts for my coilovers at the control arm. some how in the last year I threw out my bolts...:facepal:

im honored and stunned that you would use my build up as a reference. I will try to get some pics of the completed IRS tonight. it looks good. just have to have a little help shimming my lower control arms and its all good. well I need bolts for my coilovers at the control arm. some how in the last year I threw out my bolts...:facepal:

No need to be stunned man, your bar is badass!

The thru-the-floor subframes are awesome, I contemplated doing that to mine but in the end I was too freaked out about the unlikely result of having the floor all twisted up when I was finished lol.

Shimming the lower control arms wasn't bad on mine, but shimming the front of the diff, for some reason, made me want to punch children.

that's odd. I didn't have an issue with the diff. I did hate hacking up my nice FRPP cover to clear with that drop mount. doing that made me cry

I believe Bruce from FTBR sells a modded version of the FRPP cover that is clearanced for that issue. I am running the stock cover because I didn't feel it was worth all the trouble. If I ever change the gears I'll probably make the change though.

damn its been for ever since I went through this. Seeing you paint yours in the garage gets me even more excited to start painting my own stuff. I am praying I can get mine on the road by next summer but how is it everything takes 3x's longer then I expect when I can work on it?