Kyle5.0

Price to do air ride?

Ive been planning out the next big thing I want to do with my car and I think it is bags. I am not looking to go crazy with it just a basic setup. It doesnt need to handle amazingly just ride well and be reliable. Im not particular on any brands or anything yet Theoretically how cheap could I do it for? Thanks
@tony , @ttocs, @95riosnake?

The Ridetech CoolRide kit with manual valves is pretty affordable at just over $2k for the whole kit, Tony had that setup on his vert IIRC. He can probably shed some light on how dependable and easy to drive it was. You do need to keep an eye on your gauges if you have the manual valve setup, that's about the only slight drawback I can think of. I'm doing the E3 digital management with the LevelPro sensors so it will stay exactly where I put it while driving, but that will definitely inflate the price a lot.

Link to the Ridetech Coolride level 1 kit:

http://www.ridetech.com/store/1994-2004-ford-mustang-level-1.html

I went with ridetech but upgraded to the digital E3 management system with that auto-leveling system.  Its nice but there are cheaper out there.  You will love everything about it, except the payment.  One of those things that only hurts for a few seconds, then you can run to the car and hit the switches and forget all about it.

• I am also pretty sure  if you shop around you can get it for less then $2k for parts and its not that hard to install yourself.  I opted for a shop to do it just so I could be sure it was done right as I don't trust myself with stuff like that yet....  Funny I have no issue hacking the body up anymore, something that makes most cringe, but the suspension that most others do I do not like....  my kit with the management system including the ride height sensors(optional) was $2500.

Man! Things have sure changed since I had my first Mustang with an air valve in the trunk for pumping up the air shocks for cruising on Saturday night.

I'm pretty sure I paid quite a bit less than $2K for the whole car.

@Kyle5.0 are you wanting to get a plug and play complete kit or can you build a kit yourself? meaning if you can do a tad bit of welding you can run your own stuff and get it way cheaper than buying a bolt in full kit.

also as for having to keep an eye on gauges....once you find a ride height that you like. look at your gauge and just remember the number the needle is on lol. park...air it out...hop in..push 2 rocker switches until the needle is on the desired psi # and go. don't have to keep watching the gauges.

@Kyle5.0 are you wanting to get a plug and play complete kit or can you build a kit yourself? meaning if you can do a tad bit of welding you can run your own stuff and get it way cheaper than buying a bolt in full kit.

also as for having to keep an eye on gauges....once you find a ride height that you like. look at your gauge and just remember the number the needle is on lol. park...air it out...hop in..push 2 rocker switches until the needle is on the desired psi # and go. don't have to keep watching the gauges.

Im fine with piecing together a kit. Im sure after a while I will add ride height sensors and stuff but Im looking to just get something basic to get me started. The only place Ive seen that sells bags specifically for our cars is ridetech and those are $800 for all 4. Are there any others out there? 

if you want the ride height sensors I think ridetech and a couple of others are the only ones to offer it.  As I said before the air bags and the ride management system from them(E3) is ran me $2500 for the kit but I don't think it was $800 for the bags but I might be wrong...

i think the front cool ride kit is about $400. that includes front bags and mounts. however if you want to do a piece together kit...try to get the bag mounts from ridetech (only place i know of that sells bolt on bag mounts for 94-04 mustangs) then run any bag ya want. all ya need then is 4 valves and compressor, tank and some air lines. aong with a dual needle gauge. that lifts and lowers the whole front and rear. 8 valves if ya want all 4 corners controled. 

edit: if you really want to do this on a budget we can get ya right man. i can walk ya through the entire installation and i'm sure you will see it's not as bad as some may think. i'm here for ya buddy :)

i think the front cool ride kit is about $400. that includes front bags and mounts. however if you want to do a piece together kit...try to get the bag mounts from ridetech (only place i know of that sells bolt on bag mounts for 94-04 mustangs) then run any bag ya want. all ya need then is 4 valves and compressor, tank and some air lines. aong with a dual needle gauge. that lifts and lowers the whole front and rear. 8 valves if ya want all 4 corners controled. 

edit: if you really want to do this on a budget we can get ya right man. i can walk ya through the entire installation and i'm sure you will see it's not as bad as some may think. i'm here for ya buddy :)

Thanks man. I still need to do a lot of research I just wanted to see if it was even worth while cost wise for me to even think about it. 

So I would need

the front and rear bag mounts from ridetech

Bags - What is a good relatively cheap place to go with and how do I know what sizes I need?

Compressor - Certain size/brand?

Tank - I assume a 3 gallon tank would be good enough?

4 valves and lines/wiring

Gauges

I have tokico illumina shocks/struts currently would those still work with the bags?

It seems like if I pieced it together slowly and shopped around for good deals it wouldn't be extremely expensive.

Thanks man. I still need to do a lot of research I just wanted to see if it was even worth while cost wise for me to even think about it. 

So I would need

Bags - What is a good relatively cheap place to go with and how do I know what sizes I need?

Gauges

I have tokico illumina shocks/struts currently would those still work with the bags?

It seems like if I pieced it together slowly and shopped around for good deals it wouldn't be extremely expensive.

Ridetech makes bags specifically for your Mustang so there is no guess work. A 3 gallon tank should be fine and that's what I bought (I don't have anything else yet :D). I have no experience with pairing struts/shocks to air bags but I assume those would work fine.

I work at CJ Pony Parts with Steve and I added the Ridetech parts to the website. This is what we currently offer for your SN95: http://www.cjponyparts.com/catalog/category/view/category/8_1001_239/id/2449/?product_applications_year=694

That doesn't mean we can't piece together something different for you. If you want the digital setup we can get you this kit: http://www.cjponyparts.com/ridetech-compressor-system-4-way-ridepro-e3-computer-control-3-gallon-tank/p/PRO3/

Then we can add the CoolRide air springs to keep the cost down. These just replace your coil springs. If you would prefer the ShockWaves, which are like a coilover setup replacing the struts/shocks and getting rid of the coil springs, we could get you this kit: http://www.cjponyparts.com/ridetech-complete-air-suspension-system-level-2-1994-2004/p/12140299/

We'd probably be able to remove the control arms from the kit to drop the price as well. You could buy the compressor kit now and get it setup to your liking (bolted down, wires routed) then purchase the air bags to finish up when your bank account replenishes.

In the end, buying a complete compressor kit would be cheaper than buying all the parts individually. Of course I'm only talking about Ridetech stuff because that's all I know. :)

By the way, if you get the digital setup, you can upgrade down the line with ride height sensors, key fobs and an app for your phone!

http://www.cjponyparts.com/ridetech-levelpro-external-ride-height-sensor-set/p/30400034/

http://www.cjponyparts.com/ridetech-e3-remote-and-smart-phone-control-kit/p/31009000/

So I would need

Gauges

bags: firestone 2600 bags all around. bout $3-350

compressor: depending on how much you plan to lift and lower...like if you wanna kinda play with them you need more air pumping. i'd do a viar 450 100% cycle duty. if you just want to get it up to drive and lay out to park you could just run a small ridetech/air ride technologies compressor...tad cheaper

tank: a 3 gallon should be just right.

valves: smc makes great valves (brass and wont srick all the dam time lol) you can just run 4. 2 valves lift anf lower front....2 valves lift and lower rear. 

not sure about your shocks as i've never ran them but if they are for a lowered vehicle then you're good. 

here are some links to some pretty good deals:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/220674991200?lpid=82

http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/VIAIR-45040-Air-Compressor/p5060.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-SMC-3-8-NPT-12V-DC-Electric-Solenoid-Valves-Air-Ride-Suspension-Cars-Trucks-/360694057118

the rest of the things ya need are just some line, a tank and minor random shit like teflon tape, some brass fittings etc. oh and a tank lol 

I have a 3 gallon tank and a single compressor.  Would have gone with a 5 gallon if I had the space but between an elaborate stereo and all the other stuff(meth, ect) going on I needed the smaller tank.  I am going to be adding a 2nd compressor though to try and make up for it as it can get annoying listening to the compressor charge the tank which is why I would recommend a larger one if you can sacrifice the space. 

don't ever go for a ride in a car that's bagged then or you will be trying to figure out how much it will cost you before the ride is over.  Its really the best of both worlds imo.  Still a nice stable ride when I want it, and can still drop it like its hot when the time comes.  Truly one of those upgrades that sure it hurts to pay for but you will forget the price paid the first time you take it for a drive........

don't ever go for a ride in a car that's bagged then or you will be trying to figure out how much it will cost you before the ride is over.  Its really the best of both worlds imo.  Still a nice stable ride when I want it, and can still drop it like its hot when the time comes.  Truly one of those upgrades that sure it hurts to pay for but you will forget the price paid the first time you take it for a drive........

wuuurd! 

He lives!

:P

Haha I do!  I just got back from hanging out with the guys from CJ Ponyparts, I'd have to say that it was my favorite stop (I may be a little Mustang biased though  ;) )

The SN95/foxbody stuff is coming up next, I'm trying my best to get them on the shelf and shipping!

The SN95/foxbody stuff is coming up next, I'm trying my best to get them on the shelf and shipping!

there needs to be more foxbodies on air  :2thumb: Ohh...and more 2003 TR mach 1's (hint..hint) :P

Haha definitely the fox!  I'm kind of tossing the idea around of selling the Mach 1 but who knows  :P

those machs bring good $$ from what i've seen on CL lol. allot of $$ to finish up that bagged lx hatch :)

dam and you wanna sell it? be hard to let that go it's still so young lol.

I know... Honestly, I just want to find a 96-98 cobra with decent miles and supercharge it.  I want something that I'm not going to feel guilty about beating on, if I blow up a 24k mile Mach 1....I'll be a little pissed lol.