slow90coupe

1989 LX Notchback Build Thread

i hate that little hose.  i don't know how many times i've struggled with that stupid thing.  engine looks great in there.

Well I got the car pretty much buttoned up. I got my buddy to help me get the timing dialed in, changed the door pins which was an experience, and put the front clip back on it. I made my maiden voyage this evening and everything went pretty well. I do have both AN lines leaking from where they come out of the transmission but that didn't stop me from driving it a little bit this evening. The car is LOUD and it honestly sounds like it has a much bigger cam than it does.

A Pic of the door pins. These combined with new striker bushings made an incredible improvement in the way the doors close. They shut like no other fox door I've ever seen.

IMG_3828_zps7ad75c12.jpg

And two pics of the car at the gas station.

IMG_3836_zps9a2f47f0.jpg

IMG_3840_zps4454e4fa.jpg

I'll try to get a vid tomorrow, every one I've taken so far has been distorted.

slow90 i seen 1 single quick image somewhere of this car with a multi-piece. gold center wheel. what were those.....and why did you not go with those? 

They were some crappy $250 HRE's I had for a while. I never really liked them... like at all lol. I only had two and the others would cost $3000, so I decided to just sell them.

No vids, I just pulled the transmission lines off the car and didn't even drive it again. I called Summit about the  AN swivels that were leaking, and they're replacing them with Earls -6 fittings  for free. SCORE!

They were some crappy $250 HRE's I had for a while. I never really liked them... like at all lol. I only had two and the others would cost $3000, so I decided to just sell them.

No vids, I just pulled the transmission lines off the car and didn't even drive it again. I called Summit about the  AN swivels that were leaking, and they're replacing them with Earls -6 fittings  for free. SCORE!

side note, my buddy is having a ton of problems with his AN fittings on his fox for his fuel lines, they did the same thing and just swapped everything out with earls. lol

side note, my buddy is having a ton of problems with his AN fittings on his fox for his fuel lines, they did the same thing and just swapped everything out with earls. lol

they did the same thing for the an fittings that were bad for my fuel lines, sent new ones no questions asked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting.  I've got quite a few Summit brand fittings on my car and have never had a problem.  I'll remember that for the future, though.  Thanks for the heads up.

I spent the last week working on tying up a few loose ends since I couldn't drive it because I was waiting on new fittings. Btw, don't buy Summit brand AN fittings. They pour fluid out of the swivel joints with pressure behind them. I called Summit and they sent me two Earls fittings for free though. Talk about good customer service!

I started out by modifying my ashtray a little bit to allow me to mount my toggle switch for overdrive.

IMG_0310_zpsb9ec5e51.jpg

Then I painted my nasty looking Ford emblem black and stuck my carbon fiber overlay on it.

IMG_7066_zpsd6a80eca.jpg

And the good fittings installed. It took me a few hours to get it all situated and completely leak free, but I finally got it.

IMG_3867_zps8bee72ba.jpg

Then I swapped in my Bride seats since I don't plan on driving the SN95 anytime soon.

IMG_3876_zps135bfd68.jpg

An underside shot. I got it on the lift to check for any leaks. All good so far.

IMG_3871_zps105a110b.jpg

I drove it a good amount this weekend. Probably about 75 miles, which is about 1/4 of how far I've driven it the entire time I have had it. It does great, a little on the loud side but it turns heads everywhere. I beat on it a little bit and it definitely needs a gear BAD. That's up on the list along with a few other things. I launched it a few times and it just doesn't have enough gear to get it going.

Then I was driving this afternoon and I did a dig, 1-3 pull and then I noticed something all over my windshield... apparently my cap on the EGR nipple coming off the coolant tubes didn't like the pressure anymore and it let go and started pissing. Somehow when I pulled over it sealed itself back up and I drove it home. I filled the hole in the coolant tubes with RTV and put another cap on it, I hope it'll hold up this time.

Such a little hole can make such a big mess... lol.

FullSizeRender_zps9ff69fdb.jpg

And a random pic just because

IMG_3875_zps630a8800.jpg

I can't wait to hit the track and see what it'll do. I don't expect much better than an 8.30 as it sits but we'll see. A gear, some weight reduction, and a little seat time and I'd like to see a 7.9x. Then I'll be content enough to throw the nitrous on it and blow something up.

Well I have logged quite a few miles on the car over the last week and I've loved every minute of it! It's been doing great. I started on the next round of mods yesterday.

Super secret mounting of the nitrous solenoids. This is just mockup stage, but I'll get better pics once I finish everything.

IMG_3925_zps0eabe826.jpg

WOT switch mounted up.

IMG_3929_zpsaa61eacc.jpg

And I received my 3G alternator and 4ga wire as well. On the agenda for today is installing it and finishing up the nitrous.

IMG_3927_zps0bae2d1a.jpg

I started work on the car this evening.

Pretty terminal ends on the 4ga power wire.

IMG_3931_zpsad8a1674.jpg

I also added an inline fuse to the wire as well.

IMG_3932_zps7d69f373.jpg

The alternator installed. I had to modify the stock bracket a little, but not too much.

FullSizeRender_zps6a977a14.jpg

The overpopulation on the starter solenoid is real.

IMG_3935_zps3db1b719.jpg

Then I moved to the nitrous. I got all of the lines tucked as much as I could.

IMG_3938_zps17b119b0.jpg

The solenoids in their final position.

IMG_3939_zps35a9c3eb.jpg

I cranked the car up and everything worked as it should. I was finally able to turn on my HID's without the alternator killing the battery, which was nice.

IMG_3941_zps4601369d.jpg

And the next project. 3:73 gear should find its way in on Sunday. Then it's time to daily drive the car all week, then take it to the track and try to break it Friday night!

IMG_3940_zps77877b51.jpg

MMM...  when did subway start selling ring & pinion gears?  Is that right next to the cold cut combo?  LOL :P  :lol:

Lol I was thinking the same thing when I unboxed them.

Gears are in and WOW. What a difference that made! The car now spins through second gear lol