deceptive gt

Project Venomous

Well, I have been teasing a bit with some pictures of my newest project.

I was looking at getting something that I could drive home and work on while enjoying. I was looking at the a 63-65 Falcon, a Fox Notch, and the 96-98 Cobras. I wanted something under $4k, running, and with a clear title. This was not going to replace the GT convertible I have which is why I wanted something running.

On Halloween, my wife and I went and picked this snake up and brought it home.

IMG_6072_zps1ef2b2af.jpg

A 1996 Cobra that has swapped owners a few times in the past two years. Although I drove it home, it has a few issues. First is that somebody backed into it in a parking lot.

IMG_6069_zps7181ca52.jpg

IMG_6070_zpsbb631a00.jpg

The car at one point was repainted from the factory Crystal White to a Hyperwhite and the stripes added.

IMG_6073_zps2c7fbcf0.jpg

IMG_6074_zps7036e819.jpg

IMG_6076_zpscc15ddde.jpg

The car has over 200k miles on it with just a drop in K&N filter and welded in Flowmasters. So, a fairly stock car.

IMG_6083_zps7545fc03.jpg

The interior is not bad but not good.

IMG_6079_zps6497cfdf.jpg

IMG_6081_zpsb36c2a76.jpg

IMG_6082_zps60a5cb2d.jpg

So, I bet you are wondering what the plans are for this Venomless Cobra. Any Blue Oval Snake should have a bite worthy of its name.

Well, I was going to 4V swap my 02 GT Convertible. Plans are changed on that and I will reboot the build thread on that car a little later. I collected many parts and had many ideas.

The car will be getting restored to like or better than new quality. The exterior will be fairly stock looking but still look like something evil is lurking.

Stat tuned...

Engine:

Teksid

01 Cobra Intake Manifold

Suspension:

Koni Yellows

Eibach F&R Antisway Bars

Exterior:

Interior:

01+ Dark Charcoal Interior Swap

A/V:

Diamond Audio D310s (2)

Diamond Audio D1000.1

hopefully they stripped the old paint before the respray or the crystal white was known to have peeling issues.

I am not worried about that. Once I get the new front bumper, S281 spoiler, and the hood I picked out, the car will be repainted. I will get any body imperfections taken care of and then it will be painted the factory Crystal White again.

body needs some tlc but overall not a bad looking car!

That will be getting addressed. I am shopping for car parts as good deals come available. Seeing as I have two projects, I am not in any hurry.

Your other thread has been moved away from the public eye as requested. Good luck with the new build.

I appreciate it. I will reboot the other build but it has changed due to the addition of the Cobra.

i always laugh when i see some one say "restoration" for a fox body or even the sn95's. Then i remember that they are 20+ years old and it makes me sad :( good luck! looks like you dont have a bad base to start with.

i always laugh when i see some one say "restoration" for a fox body or even the sn95's. Then i remember that they are 20+ years old and it makes me sad :( good luck! looks like you dont have a bad base to start with.

It is a good base, the damage is not to the frame. Even the core support seems to be untouched. It is amazing that these are 20 years old, they still look so amazing when done properly.

http://vid1009.photobucket.com/albums/af212/jlittle523/Mobile%20Uploads/trim.2C981743-E968-4549-9785-179E098CA6EF_zpsduemtaff.mp4

It's alive! Installed a HFP 320lph Fuel Pump and Motorcraft Filter. The Cobra is once again running. Seemed alot smoother and now check engine light yet for a misfire code or stuck IRMCs. I doubt the pump or filter would have caused that. But, I have seen funnier things. The engine is the untouched, original factory engine with over 204,000 miles. The odometer stopped working and the previous owner is unsure of the correct mileage.

Next project for this is to do a clutch and flywheel change. There is a newer Zoom clutch in the car but the person that changed it put a factory cable in there. I have a new Spec Stage 1 Clutch and going to order a new Spec Aluminum Flywheel and either a MM or Steeda Cable/Adjuster setup. I am going to take it to McVey Performance to have them do the change for me just incase the Pilot Bearing decides to be a prick like it was in my GT. While it is there, I am going to have them do my COP Conversion, install a new Radiator (probably Fluidyne or SVE) unit and change the transmission and rear end fluid. I will also have a compression test done to see where the engine is at.

I know this may sound or seem stupid but, I am going to have them dyno the car before the changes and after.

After that I plan on bringing it home and ordering my K Member, doing the install on it, my suspension components, and I have MAC Ceramic LTs, BBK Catted X (emissions), MAC Pro Chamber (to use regularly), and Borla XR1s for the exhaust upgrade. The LTs are for the C Heads that I will eventually swap on but will put them on the B Heads.

I will again, take it back to have dyno'd and tuned this time. Depending on the resluts of the Compression test, I may have them install my Vortech V1 Si and run low boost until my engine is built.

i would feel bad putting a blower on that motor with over 200k lol     i feel like it would just be screaming the whole time "Dear god take it off! stopppp!" :)    Car sounds healthy at idle tho!

i would feel bad putting a blower on that motor with over 200k lol i feel like it would just be screaming the whole time "Dear god take it off! stopppp!" :) Car sounds healthy at idle tho!

Just verify compression is good and let that baby roar!

I have two Teksid Blocks (not counting the one in the car) a forged crank, and two sets of Manley SVT forged H Beams. I just have yet to decide on pistons.

The other day I found another problem. I have an oil leak at the front of the timing cover. DAMN!!!!!!!!!! Oh well, I put a call into a local machine shop. I am taking my wife on vacation here in a few days. Once we get back I will be dropping off one of the Teksid Blocks, the forged crank, and both sets of rods ( I have two sets of SVT Manley Rods) to have them do their magic. I am going to talk to them about P&P of my 03 Heads and 01 Intake Manifold.

Well, the Christmas Sales were good to the Cobra. Here is what was picked up over the season and some stuff I had already.

Here are the heads that will grace the car. They are off a crate engine and are the 03+ C Heads. They will end up getting a P&P, custom cams, and PAC Valvesprings.
IMG_6166_zpsa0346635.jpg

THis is in no way a drag car, I love back roads. Therefor, some Koni Yellows.
IMG_6153_zps4f31c8b9.jpg

Gotta have some good looking wheels for street duty! Although there probably is some dressed in drag days for the car in the future, this is what my wife chose for playing in the streets. SVE Drift 18' staggered wheels.
IMG_6144_zps5f4845d2.jpg

The car will be getting some dietary supplements to try and negate some of the weight that will be gained from the Intercooled setup and the stereo that the car will have. To help stiffen things up once the tubular K Member finds its home, a Stiffler's K Brace.
IMG_6148_zps37d82560.jpg

Some miscellaneous stuff for the car. New COP Covers (will be getting some powdercoat treatment), new plugs, COP Conversion, and Bullitt Pedals.
IMG_6156_zps1b89f0f9.jpg

And when you need something awesome to grab onto when shifting gears! This will make its home attached to the T56 Magnum that will eventually be underneath the car.
IMG_6159_zpsc4b979b3.jpg

Stay tuned as there is more to come.

Weather has been cool so no work to speak of. Although, a color has been picked out by the wife.

Exterior: Night Race Blue Metallic from the Corvette line, pictured added to gander at

post-559-0-27489300-1422710233_thumb.jpg

Interior: Dark Charcoal, swap from 99+ cars with factory double din dash

Weather has been cool so no work to speak of. Although, a color has been picked out by the wife.

Exterior: Night Race Blue Metallic from the Corvette line, pictured added to gander at

attachicon.gif2015-Chevrolet-Corvette-Z06-in-Night-Race-Blue-Metallic-rear-34.jpg

Interior: Dark Charcoal, swap from 99+ cars with factory double din dash

definitely a pretty color.  

NCM187.JPG

Got some new things in for the Cobra. Ordered and got in some new headlights, FRPP 3.73 gears, MMD hood struts, Eibach Sway Bar Kit, and SR Tailpipes, and Sequential Taillight Kit.

I have yet to decide how I am going to route the exhaust yet. I bought the SR Tailpipes because I will run the exhaust up and over the axle. I am just not certain as to whether I will keep it coming out the back or dump it down and away from the car while trying to keep the piping tucked up and hidden away from sight unless you look under the car.

As I am excited about getting some work done on my GT Vert Project, I am also excited about working on the Cobra. I was looking today and what I thought was a from timing cover oil leak may be a oil pan gasket leak. Once I get a chance to pressure wash the underside of the car, I will get a better look. Anyways, I ordered some primer, solvent, and Midnight Blue Metallic paint (2005 Ford GT). I will be working on the Dark Charcoal Gray Interior swap and when I get the factory black interior out, I will be painting the interior metal and the dash frame. Depending on how I dom I will be deciding whether I will be painting the underbody Midnight Blue Metallic or go in another direction.

Went and picked up a new trunk lid yesterday as mine has a defect in it. I also started working on removing the interior from the car. I also am hunting for the rest of the dark charcoal interior.

Here is where I have gotten on the strip down of the interior as of last weekend. School and work leave me little time to get house work, remodeling, and car work done.
IMG_6279_zpszfth7oyf.jpg
I am glad that I have exam gloves I re-appropriate from work to be used in the garage.
IMG_6278_zpsvovzntex.jpg

I already have somebody interested in the factory interior. Hopefully I can make a bit of money back.

Here is where I have gotten on the strip down of the interior as of last weekend. School and work leave me little time to get house work, remodeling, and car work done.

IMG_6279_zpszfth7oyf.jpg

I am glad that I have exam gloves I re-appropriate from work to be used in the garage.

IMG_6278_zpsvovzntex.jpg

I will be in need of gears now for sure with the vortech going in.  Where did you get yours from?   I need to start looking to find a deal.   Also what is all planned for the interior.

I already have somebody interested in the factory interior. Hopefully I can make a bit of money back.

I will be in need of gears now for sure with the vortech going in.  Where did you get yours from?   I need to start looking to find a deal.   Also what is all planned for the interior.

I got one set of gears locally from a guy that bought 3.73s but decided to go 4.10s and the other from AM. Both cars are getting 3.73s. I have also decided to swap out the 96 rear end for a 99-04 to make the tires sit more flush with the body lines.

The stock ebony interior is being ditched for 02+ Dark Charcoal interior. I like the Dark Charcoal more and want to do the double din properly. I will be doing the K Designs rear seat delete and eeither Cobra Daytonas or Corbeau CR1 or TRS in the car with Dark Charcoal Leather. I may be keeping the clock to use for the Zeitronix Ethanol content LCD.

Well, the driver's side dash and seat is finally out. The wires are a pain in the ass! I want an all new body harness as the one in the car just looks disgusting. Anyone know id anyone makes them anymore? Oh, and pulling the carpeting is going to be a nightmare! There backing on the carpeting is home to a colony of ants. So, before I start sanding the interior I will be bombing the car.

IMG_6285_zpsc2ixmqlz.jpg

On to the fun, I have almost my entire interior upgrade. I told you guys I do not mess around. I have from a 01+, Dark Charcoal dash, door panels, door cups, rear side panels, a pillars, quarter window panels, center console, door sill covers, knee pad, kick panels, steering wheel, and steering wheel panels. I need to find a Dark Charcoal Cobra Airbag; the wheel itself is going to be sent off for some customizing. I need to get the rear deck tray, rear head rest, headliner, and sunvisors.

IMG_6283_zpstui4ypm8.jpg

Also, fun times... My wife and I went to eat the other night as we go out every other week and usually try a new place. We were having drinks after dinner, watching some baseball, and talking about the house remodel projects, the cars, and our next vacation. We were given the opportunity to pick up a 64 1/2 Mustang really cheap that needs lots of work. It would be her car so the decision was hers. Well, she had seen a 72 Datsun 240Z at a cruise we went to and has decided that she wants to get a Datsun 240Z to restore. Plans are to find a SR20DET to swap in, exhaust, intake, intercooler upgrade, and maybe a small turbo upgrade (something a little more efficient) to make about 300ish rwhp. We also decided to go with a 99-04 rear axle housing in the Cobra.

Finished removing all the carpeting today. Went and picked up some bug bombs and set one off in the car. I will finish taking the sound deadening garbage on the firewall out next weekend. I got the ignition cylinder out of the old steering column and onto the new one from a 99+ dark charcoal one. I hope that when I get the car tuned that it will not cause any issues. Last, I started working on the the dash. I am removing all the wiring from the 96 dash, going to unwrap it, re wrap it, and put it on the new dash when ready.

Just an FYI, you can unbolt the dash cover from your existing frame and do the same with the new edge dash cover and not even have to touch the harness. You're making great progress though!

Well, the driver's side dash and seat is finally out. The wires are a pain in the ass! I want an all new body harness as the one in the car just looks disgusting. Anyone know id anyone makes them anymore? Oh, and pulling the carpeting is going to be a nightmare! There backing on the carpeting is home to a colony of ants. So, before I start sanding the interior I will be bombing the car.

I do have a bunch of used harnesses, i dont believe it has anything cut or stripped on it, out of a 96 gt. basically all the harnesses from the car.  idk if that would help you or not. 

Just an FYI, you can unbolt the dash cover from your existing frame and do the same with the new edge dash cover and not even have to touch the harness. You're making great progress though!

That would be easier except for a few things. I am sanding down, priming, and painting (body color) the dash support. I also picked up the double din dark charcoal dash so the old dash would not work for me.

I do have a bunch of used harnesses, i dont believe it has anything cut or stripped on it, out of a 96 gt. basically all the harnesses from the car.  idk if that would help you or not. 

I may need one, I am going to undo the wrap on the wiring and see if there are any breaks in the wiring and if not rewrap. Are the body harnesses all the same for 96s?

The fun part is going to be figuring out how to wire up the defroster switch. I really want to have the true 01+ interior setup. That means the foglights and defroster buttons are in the radio bezel. I know you cannot just clip the defroster connector and straight wire it up. We will see what can be done. I have a few ideas.

T

I may need one, I am going to undo the wrap on the wiring and see if there are any breaks in the wiring and if not rewrap. Are the body harnesses all the same for 96s?

The fun part is going to be figuring out how to wire up the defroster switch. I really want to have the true 01+ interior setup. That means the foglights and defroster buttons are in the radio bezel. I know you cannot just clip the defroster connector and straight wire it up. We will see what can be done. I have a few ideas.

I think @95riosnake is going to be doin a writeup on the defrost button soon.   im not sure if the harnesses are the same :-/

I think @95riosnake is going to be doin a writeup on the defrost button soon.   im not sure if the harnesses are the same :-/

Yup I'll be writing up a DIY as soon as I get a chance. Within the next couple days for sure. I believe the harnesses are the same for the defroster from 94-00, but not 100%. @Sleeperstang1994 might be able to look it up to confirm.

what exactly do you want me to look for? just to see what year the dash harness was the same? year range? I can tell you right off the bat the cars that have the defrost buttons in the center console as opposed to the instrument cluster are different. The center console style buttons use the Instrument cluster as a module. Basically the defrost switch is only and "input" to the IC and the IC controls the defrost relay and in turn the rear defroster. If you tell me what years your specifically looking at though I can look up the diagrams on my Ford site. :)

what exactly do you want me to look for? just to see what year the dash harness was the same? year range? I can tell you right off the bat the cars that have the defrost buttons in the center console as opposed to the instrument cluster are different. The center console style buttons use the Instrument cluster as a module. Basically the defrost switch is only and "input" to the IC and the IC controls the defrost relay and in turn the rear defroster. If you tell me what years your specifically looking at though I can look up the diagrams on my Ford site. :)

I just meant to check to see if the wiring for the cars with the defrost button on the cluster are the same between the 94-98 and the 99-00. The wiring for 01+ is most definitely different.

Definitely post up a build thread on the 240Z when you guys pick one up, please.  I love those cars.  If I were to play with anything else at this point, I'd probably find a clean 240Z and LS swap it, flare the fenders and put on some big brakes.

Well, she had seen a 72 Datsun 240Z at a cruise we went to and has decided that she wants to get a Datsun 240Z to restore. Plans are to find a SR20DET to swap in, exhaust, intake, intercooler upgrade, and maybe a small turbo upgrade (something a little more efficient) to make about 300ish rwhp.

Please post up a thread on the s30, absolutely love those cars.  I've had a couple with the last being a '77 280z, l28et swap, big injectors, big turbo, front mount intercooler, megasquirt ecu, yada yada yada....  This is the only picture I can find of it at the moment, which is from the new owner.  He added the flares and paint as when I still had it she was flat black and in need of paint  :P  I miss that car everyday, such a joy to drive and work on.

280z.jpg

Car was running 14 lbs of boost, was a blast.  Made my cobra look mundane by comparison.  After I get the mustang where I want it I'll be on the hunt for another s30.  Going for a early 240 this time and keep it carb'd with triple deuces.