jgib4

Project Sleeper Stang (SVO blower on Pi heads)

Well here it is, the start of the blower install.  After about 100 messages and emails, phone calls, and searching the interwebz things are starting to come together on this. 

The whole point of this thread (besides this being a really sweet project) is to hopefully come up when people search like i was doing on what to do with the svo supercharger on pi heads.  If anyone stumbles across this thread and is in need of brackets or the instructions, hopefully by the end of this I will have all of it.  Thanks to 97s281 the instruction packet is in the mail.  It will be scanned and saved on my computer for anyone else that needs it so i can email it out.  As for the brackets, i have a couple leads on people that already have one or two sketched out that they are looking for.  As for the rest i plan on drawing them out to actual size and again saving them to the computer.  

So What are the options for running this blower on pi heads?  You have three.  
1. Run NPI intake gaskets with a dab of rtv.
2. Run Pi gaskets and have a small metal bead welded in to keep the coolant from spilling out. If you are interested in this route, there is a thread on it on Tccoa.
3. Port match the runners to a pi gasket.  Again you will have to weld a small bead to keep the coolant in.  For the location, see post #2.

I will be doing option #1.  This is to get me through summer. Hopefully next winter i can get the blower ported and add meth.  

Back to the now. The plan is to change nothing other then adding the blower for this go around on the stock pulley.  Right now I'm sitting at 276/296 to the wheels.  
mods are:
Pi swap (10.6-1) with ortiz performance stage 1 regrind
Long tubes, o/r x, slp lm1
Trick flow plenum, 70mm tb, cai
30 lbs/hr injectors

What I'm going to buy for this install. I need to buy a set of NPI intake gaskets, and a fuel pump.  Im going with this one. Ford Mustang 255 LPH Fuel Pump 1998-2010 GT Cobra Mach 1 4.6L - TREperformance.com
Good price for a drop in, and it will get me right where i want to be around 400rwhp.  Also a lightning MAF.
From talking with some guys that have ran or run this blower tune is key.  It will be another remote tune, but i do plan on taking it back to the dyno to find out what she runs.  

So stay tuned for the usual, pics of the manifold getting painted, pulling the old intake off, fabing up new brackets and random selfies 

Should be an interesting project to follow! I always thought it was a shame this blower was designed for NPI heads, good to see people have figure out how to run it with PI heads and actually get real potential out of the setup.

Thanks man.  Some guys have gotten decent numbers with the old npi heads, but the guys running high 300s low 4s have all switched over to pi.  Compression really seems to go well with this blower.  only wish i had e85 around me to take advantage of it.

I knew a local guy with one a few years ago, it was supposedly a mildly built motor (still NPI though...weird), cams of some sort, the SVO blower, meth, etc. but he made the mistake of having it tuned by a local tuner that has a terrible reputation that is definitely no secret. A few of us were blasting through a tunnel when the motor let go about 50 feet ahead of me... luckily I was not in his lane because the guy behind him got COVERED in oil...the whole tunnel was filled with smoke lol. It was a damn mess to say the least. He started to rebuild, but the car never saw the road again and ended up parted out. Kinda sad because it was definitely a unique car.

Tune is key.  It will definitely be ran on the safe side.  But if the motor does for some reason let go, i will be rebuilding with the hopes of hitting over 400rw with this blower.  

Got started on it today, took off all the easy stuff first.  Just have to drain the coolant now and pull the intake. 

motor_zpse7176bde.jpg

Also taped up the intake and started to paint.
IMG_2524_zpsbeaace86.jpg

Hopefully il have some more pics to post up tonight.  Waiting on the intake to dry after the first couple of rounds of paint.

Arts and crafts paid off today, i feel like it turned out pretty good.  Used a high heat paint, and painted the red on. 

IMG_2454-2_zpsb2189e91.jpg
IMG_2533_zps37cbdc2e.jpg
IMG_2534-2_zps42ba8f9b.jpg
IMG_2536_zpscf1a7243.jpg
IMG_2537_zps6f2af8d0.jpg

And my lightning MAF came untidy pretty big difference over stock.
IMG_2530_zps6de03451.jpg

He also gave me what looks like a home made power pipe.  I painted it, not sure if i am going to use it yet might fab it up to see if i like it.  There isn't a heat shield for and this blower already runs hot so not sure if my cai would be better to use or not.
IMG_2531_zpsd8bdc0a9.jpg

Looks nice black! I dig the name Zeus too, is that what this setup was called?

I knew the svo intake was called the zeus intake, but never have heard the blower referred to as that.  Its actually stamped on the blower.  Didn't even see it until i painted it black lol.  I honestly haven't scene it on any other ones that iv looked at online so not sure if its normal or not.  I did find the make number.  Looks like its number 282/500.    But i feel like zeus is fitting for it, cause without the blower it wouldn't be king ;)

I was a little thrown off by the title of this thread at first. i wondered how you managed to start a thread with my name? then i came inside and got an understanding for what is going on! glad to see the project taking wings. very exciting and you have my interest.

I was a little thrown off by the title of this thread at first. i wondered how you managed to start a thread with my name? then i came inside and got an understanding for what is going on! glad to see the project taking wings. very exciting and you have my interest.

Sorry dude! didn't mean to steal you name.  I was referring to the fact that most people won't notice it lol.  and thanks, you have no idea how excited i was to score this!

Sorry dude! didn't mean to steal you name.  I was referring to the fact that most people won't notice it lol.  and thanks, you have no idea how excited i was to score this!

no worries. i feel like my name is highly un-original :)

Hell yeah! Paint came out awesome on the blower! With it so black, no one is going to know it's there!

That's what I'm going for lol.

Now opinions are welcome on this. Power pipe or cai? I'm torn. I have both but I feel like the cai will help keep temps down but the power pipe will give more hp. Next year when I add meth the power pipe will be going on but how much hp do you guy think it's actually worth? It's all getting funneled into a 70mm tb so that can't change as that's the largest you can run without serious port work to the blower.

i think your confusion what a true "power pipe" is.  Power pipes are just bigger versions of a cold air intake.  Cold air intakes being a generic term for a pipe ducted into an area separated from the engine bay.  i think the pipe you have the debate with is a ram air intake.  which is usually the biggest piece of piping with the least amount of bends to the throttle body.

but getting back to you're dilemma, assuming you mean the powerpipe you have is a ram air, i would stick with a CAI for now.  your numbers will suffer but at this point, it's not a bad thing as you don't want to heat soak the thing.  or worse, cause detonation.

i think your confusion what a true "power pipe" is.  Power pipes are just bigger versions of a cold air intake.  Cold air intakes being a generic term for a pipe ducted into an area separated from the engine bay.  i think the pipe you have the debate with is a ram air intake.  which is usually the biggest piece of piping with the least amount of bends to the throttle body.

but getting back to you're dilemma, assuming you mean the powerpipe you have is a ram air, i would stick with a CAI for now.  your numbers will suffer but at this point, it's not a bad thing as you don't want to heat soak the thing.  or worse, cause detonation.

Interesting, I figured that it was because of how large of a diameter of the pipe was. And your right I think power might suffer a little but overall it will probably be happier with the cold air.

Hell yeah! Paint came out awesome on the blower! With it so black, no one is going to know it's there!

i feel like there is a subliminal message here. however im tired and just dont have the mental capacity to dig into at this point in the evening :) i like the paint job as well. 

I might be jumping ahead here but what Meth kits have ou been looking at @jgib4 ?

i feel like there is a subliminal message here. however im tired and just dont have the mental capacity to dig into at this point in the evening :) i like the paint job as well. 

I might be jumping ahead here but what Meth kits have ou been looking at @jgib4 ?

The only one i have even heard or looked at is snow performance.  If you guys have suggestions on better kits or personal experience with any let me know.  Is this something that could be pieced together or is it better to just buy a kit?  I did plan on using the windshield wiper fluid container instead of the bottle they supply.  Just trying to keep things clean.

SHUT UP AND PUT IT ON THE CAR ALREADY!!!

Lol I'm working on it!  We just had our first kid 6 days ago.  So the wife has been nice and she's letting me have some car time to keep me from going crazy.  

On a side note a huge thank you to MikeB on Tccoa forum.  This guy went out of his way today to scan and email me his design for the alt bracket.  Complete specs!  The only thing i have to do is take it to my father in law to have him make it at the shop.  So if any one is in need of one message me and il gladly forward you the email.

I deal a lot with turbo imports and everyone has their favorites. The biggest thing is finding a kit with a failsafe or flow meter. This prevents you going heavy boost with no meth spraying. Obviously if you tune is planning on lower BAT's and your way high it wouldnt take much to start melting things, pistons , rings, its all bad :(  SOOOOO , devil's own meth injection and aquamist are popular. I have been looking at an AEM kit with an added flow gauge for my Mazda. the actual meth kits usually are not to bad. alot of kits include everything you need pump tank lines and fittings. http://www.maperformance.com/aem-v2-water-methanol-injection-system-internal-map.html this is a decent priced kit. You dont have to add the flow meter obviously but its a good idea. especially since for your set up you will be banking on the meth working properly.Hope this helps

It does thanks.  I really know nothing about them.  My  main reason for even wanting one is for summer driving.  From what i understand with this blower on hot days you feel a noticeable power loss.  I do want to crank it up some when i go meth, but my main concern is keeping this motor healthy.  Losing power because of a little heat sucks specially when the car really only comes out in nice weather.   I have heard of devils own now that you brought that up.  It just crazy how much these things cost just to push windshield washer fluid into your motor lol.

So What are the options for running this blower on pi heads?  You have three.  
1. Run NPI intake gaskets with a dab of rtv.
2. Run Pi gaskets and have a small metal bead welded in to keep the coolant from spilling out. If you are interested in this route, there is a thread on it on Tccoa.
3. Port match the runners to a pi gasket.  Again you will have to weld a small bead to keep the coolant in.  For the location, see post #2.

You forgot option #4 :)

Buy the version that was made for PI Swapped 96-98's.  part # D-463

000_0175.jpg

000_0174.jpg

000_0193.jpg

000_0195.jpg

Umm please tell me about this? I have never heard of one that was actually made by ford for pi cars. From my understanding they only made these in 98 so the pi heads were not even out yet. That looks like someone added a bead to the runners to change the port design. Also what cold air intake it that, I like it!

From what i understand with this blower on hot days you feel a noticeable power loss. 

MY audi allroad has a twin turbo 2.7l v6 in it.  I have two intercoolers up front but even on semi warm days things get heat soaked and you DO notice a big power loss. Obviously way different platforms, buuuttt, you're on the right track with wanting to keep things cool to keep that power up, heat is your enemy! 

Umm please tell me about this? I have never heard of one that was actually made by ford for pi cars. From my understanding they only made these in 98 so the pi heads were not even out yet. That looks like someone added a bead to the runners to change the port design. Also what cold air intake it that, I like it!

These were made for a couple of years and 3 packages were sold. You have the original version that ends in 1, then the second kit I believe was identical to yours but for Automatic cars (diff computer). The kit I have is the last version and not many were made for PI heads. Ford/Roush were going to offer them for the 99up cars but the plan was scrapped. 

I bought this kit @2003 from Downs Ford and it wasn't easy to find. From what I was told it was the last complete kit left in the country because not enough install kits were made, so you could still find the Supercharger itself but not the install kit. 

Mine has been sitting in the garage since I bought it and I am pretty sure I can say I have the only brand new Ford Racing 2V Supercharger kit in existence :) 

Oh the CAI is from Tunable Inductions and is their kit for PD blowers. You can get a similar CAI from JLT. 

These were made for a couple of years and 3 packages were sold. You have the original version that ends in 1, then the second kit I believe was identical to yours but for Automatic cars (diff computer). The kit I have is the last version and not many were made for PI heads. Ford/Roush were going to offer them for the 99up cars but the plan was scrapped. 

I bought this kit @2003 from Downs Ford and it wasn't easy to find. From what I was told it was the last complete kit left in the country because not enough install kits were made, so you could still find the Supercharger itself but not the install kit. 

Mine has been sitting in the garage since I bought it and I am pretty sure I can say I have the only brand new Ford Racing 2V Supercharger kit in existence :)

Oh the CAI is from Tunable Inductions and is their kit for PD blowers. You can get a similar CAI from JLT. 

Thats badass!  Why haven't you put it on a car yet?  I would have a hard time having that sit around and not using it lol.  Want to sell the install kit?

MY audi allroad has a twin turbo 2.7l v6 in it.  I have two intercoolers up front but even on semi warm days things get heat soaked and you DO notice a big power loss. Obviously way different platforms, buuuttt, you're on the right track with wanting to keep things cool to keep that power up, heat is your enemy! 

We shall see how noticeable it is this summer.

Thats badass!  Why haven't you put it on a car yet?  I would have a hard time having that sit around and not using it lol.  Want to sell the install kit?

Sure, $3200 and I will throw in a free Supercharger with it.