ttocs

The momstangs rebuild

I was hoping to paint at the beginning of the week.  My stomach heard of these plans and swore that it would never let it happen. It was right as I have been like hell and started puking yesterday and have not stopped yet.

I did manage to get the first 3 fins mounted 

IMG_20160313_143228082.jpg

things all got derailed when my dr's made some changes to my medications.  Been away from it for almost 3 weeks now recovering.  I came across what I thought was a good deal on some Baer SS4 brakes from carid where one of the calipers powder had been damaged.  I got the kit only to discover it was only 4 pieces, the rotors and calipers and ALL the accesories that go with it are missing.  I was even more surprised to call baer and find out the parking brake assemblies are $250 each, lines, cables, brackets, hardware add up to just under $900.  I emailed carid and they have now offered me $100 off.......  I responded with a break down of the parts needed to make this kit work now and their prices and now I am waiting to hear back.  Sucks as i had the calipers masked off before it occured to me that there should be another box of crap somewhere.   I am going to strip and then polish them.  Its a 13" rotor which is a little strange as they do not have a 13" option SS4 for a sn listed on their site but the guy at baer said he did find a kit for it.

ba9f438f-52fe-4f68-bc09-a1785e45c786.jpg

I could not help but dream a little and see how it looks.  I need to get a pic next to the stock rotor as it looks  tiny now next to this sucker

IMG_20160409_133343686.jpg

So hopefully carid can get the parts for less and will supply them.  I still need to get the front brakes and the master to match so they may or may not get the sale depending how this goes.

Edited by ttocs

3 hours ago, 95opal said:

As far as I know nobody makes a 4 piston 13" rotor kit for a 94-95 mustang.

Front or rear?  Baer makes two different versions.  The SS4 is for the rear and the track 4 for the front

not much to talk or post pics about as I have been working on busy work to get the motor ready.  Had to run the wiring for the AIT sensor I moved to the lower intake, move some of the aftermarket gauge wiring to clean it up.  I installed the supercharger and then went to do the alt before seeing it would not fit.  First the coolant temp sensor, actually the harness that connects to it was just enough in the way of the alt.  I was able to get around this by packing the pipe it was attached to full of sand and then heating it till it was cherry hot and then bending the pipe just enough that its out of the way.  After that then I realized that I fit the alt with an old stamped steel set of valve covers and then switched to a old fox body cast set that is now in the way.  After cutting it a little it is ready to have a plug welded in, and now finally the alt can fit.  

IMG_20160515_124142281.jpg

Here you cans see there is just enough space for the sensor and if you look back you can see the green tape I used to mark the valve covers before I cut the relieve in them.  I didn't like the plastic pipe that vortech has on their kit between the supercharger and throttle body so I ordered a 3" 45 degree bent pipe and cut it to fit.

IMG_20160505_192613141.jpg

I am having the bungs for the bypass valve and the meth kit welded on hopefully tomorrow.

IMG_20160513_212828306.jpg

and then late last night I could not help but to test fit the tank cover/diffuser to see how it was lining up with the bumper before I put the other two fins on and really happy with how this is lining up.

IMG_20160517_014756967.jpg

IMG_20160517_014724983.jpg

I think I finally have the trunk lid worked out now and hope to have it finally primed after the fall it took.

yea well one step forward, two back.  Started puking wed night and could not stop and been sucking on an IV ever since.  What else is new huh?  There is one thing that is new - the huge hole in my checking account.  

A %10 off sale at Baer brakes = OUCH!!!

I will have no excuses that it can't stop fast enough from now on.  To save a few bucks I am having them sent raw/unfinished and I am going to polish them myself.  Two weeks lead time to get them means I will be staring at my desktop background more then normal...

14 hours ago, 95riosnake said:

What setup did you go with? I didn't know they had an unfinished option.

Sorry for the delay dan I somehow missed your response or I would have been happy to show the pics I have been admiring.  I went a little bit nuts admitedly but I just don't think you can have too much brakes ya know?  

pro%2B%20fb%20no%20hub.jpg

up front I went with the 14" 6 piston pro series.

ss4%20rs%20w%20park-Web.jpg

out back I went with the SS4+ 13" two piece rotors.  They do not have the 13" rotor listed on their website but it is there.  And of course if yer gonna go overboard ya minus well go ahead and get their master cylinder as well just so its all a matched set made to work together.  Your right that they do not have a raw option on their website.  After contacting them and discussing it they said that they could do it and helped out on the shipping a little extra because of the money they didn't spend on finishing them.  I was really happy when he said that as I felt a little stupid paying full price for an unfinished caliper but their option to polish I think was $350 per axle.  I have all the wheels and polish to do it myself already so after some talk they said they could help me out.  I actually just paid for it finally today when they sent me the invoice so now its just that gave we all hate of hurry up and wait!

in the mean time

IMG_20160528_201256529.jpg

IMG_20160528_204405432.jpg\

I finally got that damn alternator installed.  I know some folks will not like how I ran the wires or mounted the breaker but it was really more about function then form.  0 awg wire does not bend nore hide easily and after looking at trying to snake it under/around/hide just let to more problems.  The other thing I am trying to avoid with the power wires is the coil/spark plug wires otherwise its a great way to pick up alternator noise in a nice stereo.  The break is mounted there I made a two piece bracket that I put together with rivits so it holds it straight/crooked like it is.

I agree that there's not really any such thing as too much brakes. I know some track guys will say this and that about our cars only needing big front brakes, which is kinda true as these cars do the majority of their braking up front (as do most cars) but we're not all building purpose built track cars... sometimes shit is just cool and worth doing because it's cool. I'll likely do a new master on my car whenever I get around to working on it again, the Cobra master should work but with the ungodly amount of money I have tied up in brakes I might as well round out a whole package.

I understand the necessity of the power wire there, it isn't too bad really. I would suggest sheathing that blue cable in black techflex though, it kinda sticks out like a sore thumb.

this was a mix of both "I want to be prepared to stop when I need to'",  with a good bit of "just too damn cool".  I learned years ago how important a front brake is on any vehicle when I loaned my motorcycle to a good friend and somehow by the time he brought it back the front brake lever was missing....  Not sure how it fell off like he said but I had to get home now with only a rear brake.  I do not recommend anyone doing that as it is 60-70% of your stopping power I found out.  I didn't end up rear ending anything but I gave myself more then a few good scares.   It reminded me of this video which came out while I was trying to decide between baer/brembo

it is a pretty helpless feeling when your just hoping it will stop in time....   But with that being said I just hate to have mix-matched crap in general.  Call it ocd or something but it was also just a good portion of the fact if I am going to get brakes I am going to get brakes.  The master at that point just seemed like a must have.  I agree the cobra master should work but its not designed to work with such a crazy system and just seems like I am setting myself up for failure by hoping it is all perfect.  

well it finally happened.  I got my fans out and set up my "paint booth".  Happy to say it worked pretty well to both keep bugs/crap off of it and to supply enough clean air.  I waited till night when the temp was 75 and then opened some windows in a dark room across from the garage and the then left the door to the garage open as the supply.

IMG_20160615_202214015.jpg

But that isn't to say that space was tight.  This is actually a pretty spacious 2 car garage but you would not know it now...

IMG_20160616_244525222.jpg

I did 3 coats last night.  I can say it was more of a work out then I thought it would be from laying on the ground to get the side skirts to standing on the stool to get the roof.  But....

IMG_20160616_162313564.jpg

IMG_20160616_162421980_HDR.jpg

Seems like it has more metalic/pearl in it then I remember.  The camera doesn't catch the blue pearl that shines in direct light.  I want it a little darker so after sanding down the 2 runs I had and 3 bugs as well as a little orange peel I am going to do another coat of color prior to breaking out the clear later.  Its not perfect but it would probably surprise you to know it was painted by a first timer in his garage so far.  Fingers crossed the clear goes well tonight....

You think you guys are excited?!  There might have been some dancing and general expressions of joy that the cameras did not catch(and some cursing of course).  I went out last night hoping to do the last coat of color to even things out and then clear.  I was happy with about %70 of the parts but was struggling with tiger stripes on others.  That is where the metallic/pearls do not apply evenly and it leaves what looks like stripes on a tiger in the metallic  pieces.  But ain't youtube amazing?  I learned to weld on it and many other things on this project and now i can say I have learned to paint my car with it.  After 20 mins of vids(well 15 after FF through the BS) I realized I was holding it too far from the parts. I needed to be closer and move faster.   I went out to fix that and also realized I had my pressure up too high on my regulator after reading the small gauge wrong.   After those corrections I was MUCH happier to see it laying out nice and flat.  I was pissed off though that I ended up bumping the pass door with the gun holding it closer and moving faster, and then my hose bumped the drivers side skirt both needing correction before I could clear.  I tuned the lights off not in a good mood but now after seeing it in the light today and finding the corrections were quick and easy I could not be happier.  Now the color is nice and even all over and it did also get a darker as I hoped.  Its not nearly as bright as the pic above but you can still see the metalic/pearl popping.  I have been anxious to clear the hood and see the CF pop but now I am as excited about the paint as well.  So now tonight hopefully the clear will come out as nice and then I will be itching to both put it together and start the cut/polish and polishing the brakes that should be here monday.  Hopefully the clear comes out as nice(watching vids on that now).  

I could not be happier with how they turned out either from top to bottom.  

So far there are only two spots I have found that will need any kind of major correction with either touch up or possibly through some blending.  One of them is in a very hard to see place and the other I will be proud to point too and say I will fix it later as well.  I knew as a first time painter in my garage that expecting perfection was setting myself up for failure and if there are not too many more corrections needed I will call it successful.  I got the lower hard to reach areas on the back bumper and then got it mounted.  I started to install the brake lights but decided to add a bulb to light up the lower/3rd light bar so they will wait till The next trip to the auto parts store.  I got the pass fender rubbed out to 5000 grit and got it installed.  I had just pulled the hood down from where it hung for painting and set it up so I could cut/polish the clear when my stomach said I was done for the day.  But I can't complain its starting to look like a car again...

IMG_20160620_154309620.jpg

If I had to guess what upset my stomach I would say it was that I was REALLY lookin forward to the UPS dude.  It was probably best for him that I wasn't there to sign for it as he always acts awkward when I hug him when he delivers big stuff like this.

a>a>IMG_20160620_152516.jpg

IMG_20160620_155114.jpg

So after laying in bed all day because of the medicine I took it means I will be up all night.  Not a problem tonight I will be happy to put that time towards the polish on these.  I decided to do a nice dark red metallic paint on the letters that I am going to tie into a nice thin pinstripe between the green and carbon fiber areas and maybe down the body line on the side.

13 hours ago, RedTwilight said:

I don't check the forum for a couple weeks and dayum!...  You end up finally getting to be able to paint the car! 

Congrats!  It turned out great.

crazy stuff I know!  and now FENDERS?!  and a bumper?!  

IMG_20160628_203318601.jpg

the paint has only had a really rough 1000 grit rub on it so far.  Now that the parts are mounted I can start the polish.  I did polish the CF grill insert and love how it came out.

IMG_20160628_203346231.jpg

oh yea RED!

IMG_20160627_154045128.jpg

IMG_20160627_150849165.jpg

The correct wheel spacers come tomorrow for the fronts to mount.   I am weighing what rear axles I want to go with since I need to pull them to install the rear parking brake assembly.  No use in throwing the stock axles or gears now since I am that deep into it, doubling the stock HP on 20+yr old parts but dang funds are low following baer celebrations....  Can't wait to start the polish now and get this sucker shining again...

Got the parts to do the rear end.  Mozer 31 spline axles with a 03-04 cobra diff and 3:55 gears.

IMG_20160707_123537.jpg

The install went sideways when the ratchet slipped off of the 8mm bolt that holds the pin in the diff and stripped it.  I tried welding a nut to it a few times but with all the oil it would not penetrate well enough.  I finally got nasty with it and pulled out the rear end and removed the diff with my angle grinder.

IMG_20160711_195758773.jpg

after that I dropped the old/new axles at the shop to get the reluctor wheels pressed off/on as w well as the bearings that need it.  While the rear end was out I took the time to clean it up and put a fresh coat of paint on it for rust prevention.  I also did this because the job was delayed as I noticed during tear down that the backing plates baer sent did not have a hole for the wheel rotation sender to mount.  After a quick phone call they have the correct parts on the way now and mine are on the way back but until they are back I can't put the axles in the housing.

IMG_20160713_165043929.jpg

I also hit a weather delay when a storm rolled through and knocked out power for a little more then 2 days.  My garage faces east and the car is backed in so it was too dark under the car(the rear end was still in at that time) so to kill some time I had some paint and tape so I threw a quick coat on the new diff cover.

IMG_20160713_174749.jpg

Installed the abs unit and brake lines/line lock as well as the voltage regulator

IMG_20160716_110656420.jpg

I wash happy to be able to reuse the stock brake lines with only a slight modification.  after installing the booster I have come to the conclusion that ford starts the build with it already mounted in the firewall and builds around it then.  The only part worse then trying to wiggle it down between the shock tower and firewall was trying to cram my hands up through the dash and pedals in a strange finger yoga trying to hold/twist the nuts onto the studs while constantly dropping them.  One of those jobs that when I finished I jumped out of the car and gave it both fingers while yelling "F-YOU MO-FO", and then hoped the neighbors or their kids did not hear me forgetting I was in public.  But the booster is in and now the master.  You can get the output ports on either side from baer and I went with the drives side to be able to hide the lines better.  

IMG_20160715_153731588.jpg

You can get the output ports on either side with baers remaster/master and I went with drivers side so I can hide the lines better.  The ports are the two little silver parts and its hard to see but I carefully drilled holes directly in front of the ports and with some 90 degree lines I can run them right down the back of the shock tower to connect to the stock lines that were modified to fit and be hidden.  

IMG_20160716_111434519.jpg

So I am slowly marking things off the list one at a time and now just waiting on parts from ups and the machine shop to finish the rear end later this week.   

23 hours ago, ttocs said:

One of those jobs that when I finished I jumped out of the car and gave it both fingers while yelling "F-YOU MO-FO", and then hoped the neighbors or their kids did not hear me forgetting I was in public.

lol!  I think we've all been there before!

Looking great!  The rear-end cover is cool with the polished ribs.  Can't wait to see this car finished up!

10 hours ago, Psychorugby said:

Wouldn't an Easy out have been... easier... than grinding up a differential??

I had a set I wanted to try, but I could not drill a hole in the bolt with the location in the diff.  And honestly it was really easy to cut it and I was replacing it already so....

• Moderators
14 hours ago, ttocs said:

I had a set I wanted to try, but I could not drill a hole in the bolt with the location in the diff.  And honestly it was really easy to cut it and I was replacing it already so....

Guess I'm missing something because it looks like you hacked up the diff, not the bolt.

1 hour ago, Psychorugby said:

Guess I'm missing something because it looks like you hacked up the diff, not the bolt.

The bolt goes through that pin.  I cut the bolt above/below the pin so I could get the pin out.  At the point the bolt is not coming out there were not many choices and yes the diff got the worst of it but I only cut down as far as I could see that the bolt was no longer attached.

I have everything to put the rear end together now and I am just waiting on when my friend has time to show me how to put it together and then install it.  Did some more little crap like finished the catch cans AN lines, some little wiring crap and then I welded in the rear strut tower brace.  

IMG_20160722_183351329_HDR.jpg

I want to get the glass back in which means I had to finish installing the door handles.  I just did a quick polish on the area around it before the pic so it still needs 2 more steps with the buffer and wax.

IMG_20160724_240217875_1.jpg

And really happy to finish all the little crap needed to light them up.  I had them really roughly in place in the mock up just to see how they looked and if it would work.  The wiring and all the stuff on the back side proved a little challenging but I am confident that they should last a long time like this.

IMG_20160724_184249317.jpg

I can't wait to see these light up after I disarm the alarm...

eh, not much and nothing to really  show....  I got sick again a month ago and then again right after I got out.  It often takes 2-3 weeks just to get some weight on and energy back but the way this one went down its taken much longer to get moving.  I have been doing some work on the diffuser but If I had any idea the rear diffuser would turn into this long of a project I would have done a few things differently.  Recently making all the mounts for the two outside fins that are not on the tank was PIA.  All the brackets were custom made and because I wanted it to be light but still needed them to be strong I used 6061 aluminum.  6061 doesn't like to bend 90 degrees so I had to heat and bend them slowly into position.  So by the time I made the main brackets for them to hang off of, and then made the brackets to mount the fins to those brackets I was ready to 86 the outer 2.  After all that getting them lined up, parallel to the rest of the fins, just off the bumper, 90 degrees from the ground - all perfectly, it better look good....  But I am happy to say I need to drill a few holes on the drivers side and some minor trimming and then its ready for clear coat and install.

I have also been mulling around what I will do for tuning.  I have already paid for a few tunes on it and I know there will be a few more so the idea of shelling out everytime I do something to it has left me wondering if a self learning engine management system might not be better?  I have been looking around at the different systems available and just about ready to order, I think....  What does everyone here do for tunes I am really stuck on what do do there?  I don't mind spending the cash up front to get something good that can last but there are a few options now if anyone has any experience with them.

That sucks about getting sick, I'm sure you'll get cracking on it again soon. 6061 can be a bitch to work with sometimes, been there.

Tuning-wise, I run an SCT chip. Have to tune anytime I make a major change, which is a pain in the ass and runs me $450-500 a pop. What self learning management systems are you looking at?

SCT is what I have been running and I figure with 2 tunes already and another needed and who knows down the road, when is it worth it to switch over?  Holley, megasquirt, Pro-m, edelbrock so far but not sure.  Wish I knew more people that had done it already...

this has been the worst fall I have had for a while now and been slowing me down.  Figuring out the wiring on the system and ordering parts I am still waiting on has taken some time.  In the mean time I started reworking the dash gauges so I can mount a screen in the dash and use it for tuning/gauges as well as for the stereo/gps.  I started with the stock dash and then grafted the holley led light bar into the top.  I moved the two gauge pods that were on top of my steering column up to the sides by mountint some pvc couplers in the dash and then filliing the edges.  

IMG_20161112_245536638 (2).jpg

There is still some work to go smoothing the back of them in that I had been holding off on till I got the screen mounted between them that I just finished up.  I also need to fill in the small area above the top of the screen and add some leds for turn sigs/brights but I am happy with how its turning out.

IMG_20161120_031752848.jpg