Psychorugby

Heavy Horse Garage (and House)

• Moderators

If clamps are holding you up you can o to hf and get pipe clamps cheap then just buy steel pipe and voila!!!! $-)

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

They're not really holding me up I guess.  I will have to buy two more clamps to do the entry table anyway.  I plan to only keep two of them in the end since I can't justify keeping $200 of clamps lol.

• Moderators

For the sake of activity on the site, and pictures, I bring you one tabletop done (well, kinda... It still needs to be sanded a bit and lacquered):

550E2D73-E3F4-416D-822D-DB8C3138B319_zps

• Moderators

Last table is laminated.  Now all I have to do is sand and seal them tonight!  $200 of clamps on $150 worth of American Poplar lol:

54792507-0289-4C35-B8D9-22FF85B49777_zps

D161035A-5716-4B3E-A936-B9FAE4979F48_zps

Also found more cheesy garage art this weekend:

CE233649-9107-4869-83F0-95120C64EF82_zps

6DD7C2F4-50FC-4FBA-965A-141290BA94BB_zps

• Moderators

so whats next now that your wood is glued together with a sticky white substance?  

Facepalm.

Tabletops are getting a light sanding with 60 grit tonight to knock the dirt and grime off... then sealed with satin poly.

Facepalm.

Tabletops are getting a light sanding with 60 grit tonight to knock the dirt and grime off... then sealed with satin poly.

have you decided how youre gonna do the legs and stuff>

• Moderators

have you decided how youre gonna do the legs and stuff>

1x1 steel tubing if I can figure out how to pick it up during work hours and get it home without a truck.  The entry table will be slightly different, but basically steel boxes under the table tops.

will the table top just be screwed into the frame then, from the bottom?

or will you have some sort of recessed area that the table top sits into?

• Moderators

will the table top just be screwed into the frame then, from the bottom?

or will you have some sort of recessed area that the table top sits into?

Screwed in from the bottom.

That's why I am paying someone else to cut it!

What?! All this effort and you're going to pay someone to cut it? Measure, mark, measure, mark again because you measured wrong the first time, metabo and weld.

Sent from Space

• Moderators

What?! All this effort and you're going to pay someone to cut it? Measure, mark, measure, mark again because you measured wrong the first time, metabo and weld.

Sent from Space

Not anymore. That was when I was going to the place local. Now I'm going old school and using a hacksaw and miter box lol. After I order the right size tubing...

Not anymore. That was when I was going to the place local. Now I'm going old school and using a hacksaw and miter box lol. After I order the right size tubing...

LOL well, that's one way to do it, however would provide a nice clean cut when you get finished. "When" is the key word there. Can you not fit cut discs on your grinder? ... Or do you just want to go old-school? I actually could understand. People I know restore old crosscut saws and cut trees down with them. No chainsaw required lol.

Sent from Space

• Moderators

LOL well, that's one way to do it, however would provide a nice clean cut when you get finished. "When" is the key word there. Can you not fit cut discs on your grinder? ... Or do you just want to go old-school? I actually could understand. People I know restore old crosscut saws and cut trees down with them. No chainsaw required lol.

Sent from Space

Actually still kinda debating between a miter joint or a butt joint. Figured I'd go old school for a nice clean cut... All depends how slow that goes lol.

• Moderators

Two coats of satin clear poly on the poplar entry way table.  It darkened up quite a bit, but really looks awesome.  Yes, the wood planks are two different thicknesses lol... same board though oddly.

7C6F6BA1-76C0-424D-9357-3654AD9BDDDA_zps

Hung the "new" TV up last night in the living room.  What a nerve wracking process.  Also, assembling an entertainment system is a giant pain in the ass.  This unit doesn't even have surround sound yet, but getting the TV all plugged in with very little room to work, and getting the wires all in the right spot sucked.  God help me when the receiver comes in and I have to hook that up... means I will have to hope that the wires I dropped in the wall are where I remember them being since I cannot for the life of me find the pictures I took ;(.

189DAA1F-5F1E-4C3A-B5B3-8FD912683D1D_zps

• Moderators

Next time you venture into something like this call me first and I'll help you with some tricks of the trade plus I could of helped you find a mount that makes it a million times easier to hang tv and mess with wires at the same time!!! Lol

Still need one more mount (will probably face the same issues.  I'll take any and all advice.  I am probably going to buy a fox and hound deal to find the wires in the wall.  My main concern is not necessarily finding them but getting them centered on the TV.  

• Moderators

Get on Amazon and look for "cheetah" brand mounts. If I was home I'd send you pics of the mount in my mancave. It's an articulating mount. Payed around $80 for it. Holds up to a 80" and will pull away from the wall almost 3 feet. Full articulation from side to side so that after hanging the tv you have both hands free to mess with wires. When closed its only a couple inches from the wall unlike some articulating mounts.

For dropping wires in the wall get online and search for a "wet noodle". It's a long flexible magnetic wand that you can wave around inside the wall and a long ball chain that looks like what you pull on a ceiling fan.

You drop the ball chain in the wall up too and use the wand below to catch chain. Then attach wires to chain and slowly pull wires from one hole to the other.

To make it look nice go to lowes/Home Depot/ or whatever store like that is around and pick up cut in rings and entertainment plates that have the bristled face. Makes for clean penetrations and ease of pulling wires. You can also get them online cheap.

Wife wanted a fixed/tilt mount for the TV.  I'd have gone full articulating for the reasons you outlined, but she thought in the end it was too far away from the wall.  I'll check out the Cheetah for the next one just in case though.

Wires are already in the wall, and I have no access to the wall from above due to second floor haha.

Already have all the cool faceplates and such!  I actually had to take my female HDMI port off the wall to use one of the brush deals because the HDMI cable stuck out too far... then I see 90° adapters on Amazon this morning.  I ordered them anyway lol.

• Moderators

Table tops are done!  Now I am waiting on the steel to show up.  Good ol' Summit decided to send it all to my parents's house instead of mine, even though my address was the one used for the order.  Good thing they will be down here next week.

1E4A79AE-81EB-4E2E-AAA0-5562DF530A6B_zps

BE5CB66C-67B9-4040-9599-AACE3F92DD98_zps

Hanging the TV caused us to move the couch down the room some, which created the opportunity for another table.  I'm actually kinda looking forward to making another one.  A part of me wants to build a bench top out of some of this 100 year old wood.

• Moderators

nice looking wood....i don't know how to compliment wood w/o feeling gay but it is cool wood lol. ^that already stained and finished?

LOL.  There's no stain other than age on the wood.  All of it is over 100 years old.  I just put a couple coats of satin clear polyurethane over them.

• Moderators

Frames made yet? The metal for this had to already of come in by now!

Sent from Space

See above where Summit decided to deliver to my parents' house... They're bringing it down next week with them.

• Moderators

very cool and rustic. 

Kinda the theme we have running through the house at this point.  Trying to get stuff that looks reclaimed or is reclaimed and bring back some old school flair I guess.  

• Moderators

Other than installing the MGW race spec shifter in the 13, I haven't gotten a lot of work done on the 95 (okay, I've done nothing).  This is due in large part to the fact that my garage is a complete disaster, from stuff just getting thrown anywhere when we moved it, household projects, and just plain laziness.  I got absolutely blasted on Saturday by the wife for not welding on the 95 and told to clean the garage up so we could work on it (yes, she said "we" and it scared me).  I identified target areas that have gotten out of control - my workbench area behind the 66 in the small garage, the new parts pile next to the 95, the paint supply pile in the back corner by the 95, and the scrap metal/misc parts with which I have no idea what to do pile.

I started out yesterday working on the small add-on garage, with aspirations of moving on to the back bay, as I call it, where the 95 is living.  Cleaning up the little garage took most of the day, taking breaks to figure out what to do with stuff as I uncovered it, helping my wife paint, and dodge lightning striking across the street.  It make not look like much in the following pictures, but it made a huge difference.

The work bench area before:

0875F4F6-DFF4-409C-87C0-4DBCBE7CAEAE_zps

Moved the drill press to a new home:

40CECA7E-33C1-4D17-B4F0-0306C6319AD7_zps

The work bench area after (still needs a bit more work, but much better):

4CDAF33E-9229-43A1-BB08-B2AD0CED356E_zps

I installed a socket and 100w daylight LED bulb over the back section of the back bay.  This actually took a bit of nerve to do since the ladder wouldn't fit.  I had to lean it up against the car on jack stands and pray that nothing happened.  Nothing happened.  Now I have 200w of lighting over this bay, which will be fine until I can convince my wife we need a shit load of lights in the garage haha.

624A914A-CF17-4BF0-A5A7-E6C51613144A_zps

Never really got to this project, but tidied it up a bit.  This was the pile of new parts from the beginning of the day and what I will be cleaning up the rest of this week after work:

6E720B9C-40D0-4D58-87F2-EFB6D3DD4437_zps

I've also been doing things inside the house the last couple weeks (hence the second part of the thread title).  The dining room got painted last weekend, and now "we're" shopping for a new dining room table because this one doesn't match:

D7C0AF35-E828-4D0E-8DA7-1A1F3C76ADBA_zps

Hung this light my wife has been wanting forever, including an LED Edison bulb! (which doesn't seem to be installed in this picture, crap)

4F747AE3-846F-48A4-8154-60C0204C7F3A_zps

More cheesy garage art, but whatever, it's cool!

DAE0A7A1-E440-47A9-A9E2-F0F45BF5DEDA_zps

• Moderators

The dining room looks excellent!  I'd be very tempted to put some nice crown moulding in there.

Thanks!  The color actually looked like shit when we put a sample on the wall, but we convinced ourselves to try it and it ended up looking really good.  Crown moulding is already in the works, as well as wainscoting.  The two should really bring out the color.  I also want to do some cedar plant boxes in the small windows, but my wife claims she won't be able to reach them.  I don't think she knows what a ladder is.

my wife claims she won't be able to reach them.  I don't think she knows what a ladder is.

lol.... I know the feeling.  I married a shorty.  She's 5'0", we have a step stool for her to reach things high in the cabinets but she refuses to use it.  She either climbs the counter-tops or says that what she has me for.

• Moderators

lol.... I know the feeling.  I married a shorty.  She's 5'0", we have a step stool for her to reach things high in the cabinets but she refuses to use it.  She either climbs the counter-tops or says that what she has me for.

Mine's 5'6" and does the same thing.  She keeps asking me why I want 42" cabinets in the laundry room.  Well we have 42" cabinets everywhere else... and I am moving existing cabinets to the laundry room so there's not much option there.

• Moderators

Those LED Edison bulbs are super cool, I want to try one out in something soon

My only gripe is that they are even warmer than a regular light bulb would be... in that small hallway, it looks really orange.  It still looks awesome though!

• Moderators

Tables done yet?!

Sent from Space

Haven't taken a day off work to get the 2" tubing yet.

Also note. Once you think you have enough lighting in your garage, you'll then realize you need more.

Sent from Space

Actually going to be adding a circuit for hospital lights. That way if we're just playing darts, it's not stupid bright.

Whenever I decide where I'm going to end up next year and I have a garage worth working in these are the lights that I will have!!!!!

http://info.bigassfans.com/l/11152/2015-01-23/2ldsrc?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_branded_garage_light&gclid=CL2fwOC7_8YCFQ6RaQod8AkPvw

Those are awesome lights, you've seen the pricing right? $400+ each :o

I don't think I could swing that much for garage lights lol.