Psychorugby

Heavy Horse Garage (and House)

I've still got a long way to go with the garage. If I knew anything about photoshop, I would have already mocked up a few pictures of what I plan to do... and it should be pretty cool.

Not so sure I wear the pants... I wanted the garage for space to work, she still makes me park everything inside. Once I get the 95 into a roller, I am hoping to get a lift in the back bay so that the single car garage becomes a workshop.

Dear God, I wish. I couldn't even make them extend the single car garage back...

Send me some ideas that you want photoshopped, I might be able to whip some thing up

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Moderators

So the flooring project [finally] got underway this weekend!  

IMG_25061_zpsffd90b45.jpg

Started in the dining room, which was easy right up until I had to start cutting around door frames... and before anyone says anything, no I did not pull the baseboards because there was already tile under them so the floors fit fine and match up height-wise to rooms with carpet.  

IMG_25091_zpsb6b491e4.jpg

IMG_25161_zps7016c0f4.jpg

IMG_25131_zps9b6921f5.jpg

By the end of yesterday, I had half the dining room, most of the kitchen, and half of the breakfast room done.  Starting in the dining room meant that I also had to concurrently start in the kitchen and breakfast room to ensure everything remained square... it also meant that I didn't get any one room "complete."  Once I get around the island in the kitchen I think the hard part is over except for a couple more door frames.

EDIT:  Evidently I can't copy and paste right - The good picture never made it in.

IMG_25171_zps96535e2d.jpg

IMG_25191_zps36d7f128.jpg

• Moderators

love that stain on the wood. pretty skilled in the home remodeling field it seems chris, good work.

Check out the pictures I forgot to add earlier.  It looks like reclaimed barn wood; you can even see "saw marks" on some planks.  I can't wait for it all to come together, because it is going to look epic.

I'm not so much skilled in home remodeling/repair as I am WAY too cheap to pay someone else to do it... I've watched enough HGTV to be dangerous!

• Moderators

Got the dining room done Friday night!

IMG_25261_zps6ec7ae9e.jpg

goes perfect with those counters and cabinets. 

They really do!  Finally got the kitchen and breakfast room done yesterday.  I know it doesn't sound like much, but the moment of truth was getting the hallway to match up to between the island and breakfast room, as well as what came through from the dining room and butler's pantry.  Good news is that I was square within about 1/16"!  Nothing a whack with a hammer wouldn't fix.

IMG_25321_zps217ee1dc.jpg

Moving furniture around, pulling out carpet, and hopefully making a lot of headway this week... once I do my stats exam.

• Moderators

This past weekend, I got the foyer, main hallway/kitchen, and living room done.  All this is left is the back hallway, the stairs, the closet under the stairs, 3 pieces I left until last to cut, and the quarter round.

IMG_25471_zpsfb8a96c4.jpg

IMG_25481_zps95ebebed.jpg

And in natural light where you can really see some of the great colors:

IMG_25491_zps1694b54b.jpg

IMG_25501_zpsfd104b0a.jpg

After this is done, it's time to clean the half inch of saw dust off everything in my garage and re-start organizing.

• Moderators

No new pictures, but I have 3 pieces left to cut and about 60 ft of shoe moulding to put down.  Then I can call Flooring Phase 1 done.  My parents have come and gone and school is over for the summer, so hopefully I have a lot of time to finish this and move on to the garage projects.

Everything is looking great Chris, thankfully our current house is just a stepping stone so I'm not really putting much into it other than basic maintenance. I built a tank of a deck on the back of it but that was the extent of my plans. Thankfully I don't have a house to take me further away from building my car, or it would definitely never see the light of day again lol. We're planning to get "the" house in a couple years so I better get the car stuff out of the way before then.

• Moderators

Everything is looking great Chris, thankfully our current house is just a stepping stone so I'm not really putting much into it other than basic maintenance. I built a tank of a deck on the back of it but that was the extent of my plans. Thankfully I don't have a house to take me further away from building my car, or it would definitely never see the light of day again lol. We're planning to get "the" house in a couple years so I better get the car stuff out of the way before then.

You better get the car stuff done now... or it will end up like mine lol.

• Moderators

Chris did you ever get the last of your flooring figured out?

Last two pieces still need to go down.  I think I am going to have to pull door frames, and I really don't want to do that.

• Moderators

New floor looks superb Chris!  Really like the color.

Thanks, Steve!  The pictures do them no justice whatsoever.  Combined with some of the "reclaimed" stuff we have going in around the house - Edison light bulbs, whiskey barrels, wine bottle chandelier, and some other old made new things... they look even more awesome.  When I get the house cleaned up a bit, I'll take some more pictures.

• Moderators

More tiny updates to the on-going evolution of house and garage projects.  Back in the garage this weekend and got a new shelf hung and the garage cleaned slightly.  It's amazing how much this shelf changed the way the garage looks and feels.  It feels more garage-y with the perceived lower ceiling.  There aren't any vertical supports in the picture, but rest assured I will be adding either threaded rods or chain up to the joists above.  I will be doing the same down at least one length of the deep garage as well.

The shelf mid build:

IMG_27081_zpsca45f40e.jpg

The [slightly less] messy garage... still a long way to go:

IMG_27101_zps99b88f91.jpg

And I got myself an early birthday present!

IMG_27121_zpsc147d90b.jpg

More tiny updates to the on-going evolution of house and garage projects.  Back in the garage this weekend and got a new shelf hung and the garage cleaned slightly.  It's amazing how much this shelf changed the way the garage looks and feels.  It feels more garage-y with the perceived lower ceiling.  There aren't any vertical supports in the picture, but rest assured I will be adding either threaded rods or chain up to the joists above.  I will be doing the same down at least one length of the deep garage as well.

The shelf mid build:

IMG_27081_zpsca45f40e.jpg

The motor looks so depressed and neglected :'(

• Moderators

The motor looks so depressed and neglected :'(

Just covered in saw dust.  I'm thinking of selling it to my friend, but I'm torn on the idea.

• Moderators

WOOT for the craftsman pick up!

Can't wait to use it!  It's tough to not take it apart and get it back to perfection, but since it works just fine there's no reason to do so.

Forgot to post the picture after I cleaned some more.  You can almost see a garage again!

IMG_27141_zps95959407.jpg

I want to see the X5 in there with everything else! 

• Moderators

I want to see the X5 in there with everything else! 

I had pictures of it in the garage at one point, but I guess I deleted them thinking, "who cares?"  You can see if I move my wife's car to the left some and put away the table saw and miter saw, then the X5 fits just fine.

I had pictures of it in the garage at one point, but I guess I deleted them thinking, "who cares?"  You can see if I move my wife's car to the left some and put away the table saw and miter saw, then the X5 fits just fine.

this guy cares :)

• Moderators

this guy cares :)

Just for you, tonight after I get the shelf done I will put away the saws and pull the X5 back in the garage.  For some reason, I hate parking in the garage.  I guess it's because my car has always parked in the driveway.  In nearly 20 years of driving, I've never parked in the garage.

I have never had a garage to park in, then i bought the house and love it... during the winter. i never park in it now that summer is here.  

• Moderators

I have never had a garage to park in, then i bought the house and love it... during the winter. i never park in it now that summer is here.  

Always summer here :)

• Moderators

No real updates since I haven't done anything and we are still waiting on new furniture to arrive.

I did pic this baby up for my birthday though!  Fully restored 1958 (I think) Craftsman bench grinder... for $100.

IMG_28991_zpsbf798195.jpg

• Moderators

We finally got our couch in early June.  The chairs are still on back order.  We threw up some paint samples on the wall, but haven't made any decisions yet.

• Moderators

Congrats on the Craftsman block grinder, I love those things. :2thumb: Vintage = awesome.

It's quieter than any other grinder I've ever used too!

• Moderators

Also trying to finalize my paint scheme for the garage, which is a lot more difficult than it sounds.

Original plan was Gulf Racing colors:

Garage-Gulf1_zpse46b13d7.jpg

I was afraid the blues might be a tad too overwhelming, so I toned them down a bit:

Garage-Gulf2_zps9a69fff2.jpg

If I don't get that powder blue just right, then I think it still might be too in your face for a garage work area.  So I started down a different path when I was watching American Restoration.  It's based on the old Texaco colors.  I think it looks cool, but reminds me a bit of the Italian flag or Christmas:

Garage-Texaco2_zpsf154a93d.jpg

Toned down a bit as before, but might end up too minty when the whole garage is painted:

Garage-Texaco3_zps62631763.jpg

Added some more grey to this one, which might be my favorite look.  I'm concerned it might not have goo reflective qualities though:

Garage-Texaco_zps21ae0fac.jpg

My wife's idea was Ford Racing stripes.  Is the blue too bold?

Garage-FordRacing_zps68f5d4fc.jpg

BMW //M stripes would be awesome, but no M car in my garage:

Garage-MPower_zpsbf4a0dc0.jpg

Martini Rossi stripes would be awesome, but I don't have a Porsche either:

Garage-MartiniRossi_zps4ea0e2e6.jpg

And the last one for fun... Maker's Mark:

Garage-MakersMark_zps103d5548.jpg

I don't think I've found a winner yet, so I am still accepting ideas and critiques!

And another addition to the vintage garage - a late 50s Wilton 3-in-1 swivel vise!

IMG_29321_zps4f4620a4.jpg

what about this color \/

i think that would look great!   /\