Psychorugby

Heavy Horse Garage (and House)

• Moderators

Dam she made you drop a thread on her demands lol... just kidding chris tops look good.

Thanks!  This was originally the "Design My Garage" thread that turned into watch me build my house that turned into what projects I'm doing in the house and garage.  Only projects really left inside the house for now are putting laminate down on the stairs, painting, and possibly doing some wainscot and crown moulding work.  Gotta keep the wife happy and myself busy.

We talkin tounge and grove or spome bs 1/4 crap? If you want i can give ya hand when i get down. Finish trim and furniture making is my second job. Lol

One piece, two piece crown? Should i just load up the truck with tools and come down lol. Tell the wife ill work on the cheap side being CT wages would put my help out of the ballpark lol

• Moderators

We talkin tounge and grove or spome bs 1/4 crap? If you want i can give ya hand when i get down. Finish trim and furniture making is my second job. Lol

One piece, two piece crown? Should i just load up the truck with tools and come down lol. Tell the wife ill work on the cheap side being CT wages would put my help out of the ballpark lol

Oh God lol... we haven't really discussed any particulars other than she wants some sort of wainscot/decorative trim below a chair rail in the dining room.  For crown, I was probably going to go with 1 piece stuff from the local door and trim shop.  Let me know when you're free to come over... you can bust my balls about the car and give her more ideas to make me work around the house.  Love having you and my friend Jeff around - both hard working guys full of expertise, ideas, and motivation; big brothers I never had.

• Moderators

How come none of the rest of us got invites...........?!? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty sure if you read from the beginning there were invites for all.  It's Florida, who doesn't want to come visit?!  It'd be cool as hell to (a) have one of my cars done, and (b) have a SN95S meet n greet on my street.

Oh God lol... we haven't really discussed any particulars other than she wants some sort of wainscot/decorative trim below a chair rail in the dining room.  For crown, I was probably going to go with 1 piece stuff from the local door and trim shop.  Let me know when you're free to come over... you can bust my balls about the car and give her more ideas to make me work around the house.  Love having you and my friend Jeff around - both hard working guys full of expertise, ideas, and motivation; big brothers I never had.

Not sure how much time ill have next week but ill be back down the minute the mptor and trans go back in the car. Need to get a drivshaft measurement over to promotion so they can make it as id like to pick it up while im down there lol

Pretty sure if you read from the beginning there were invites for all. It's Florida, who doesn't want to come visit?! It'd be cool as hell to (a) have one of my cars done, and (b) have a SN95S meet n greet on my street.

Do you really think any of our cars would make it down there without catastrophic failure on the trip down? Lol

I can say with 100% confidence that my car will never be driven to Florida, unless it was on a trailer but I don't see myself ever doing that drive again by choice lol.

I can say with 100% confidence that I would totally drive my car down to Florida. I think it would make it. In gonna rock it down to myrtle beach again this year

• Moderators
On 10/25/2014 at 9:02 AM, 95opal said:

Not sure how much time ill have next week but ill be back down the minute the mptor and trans go back in the car. Need to get a drivshaft measurement over to promotion so they can make it as id like to pick it up while im down there lol

I meant when you were down here for the long visit.  I know you've got stuff going on this trip.  Looking forward to seeing you.  Even Linda is asking when you're coming back down.  I think she is going to try to steal you away from the garage lol.

On 10/26/2014 at 10:30 AM, Lazer_Red said:

Read through the whole thread and you sir have an awesome place. I am also jelly of the shop. Cant wait to see more updates.

Thanks!  It's a very slow process to do anything in the garage because of chores and keeping my wife happy with progress inside the house.  I'm hoping to have a couple minor updates to the garage soon.

On 10/27/2014 at 10:26 PM, 95riosnake said:

I can say with 100% confidence that my car will never be driven to Florida, unless it was on a trailer but I don't see myself ever doing that drive again by choice lol.

I've done FL to DC and back a couple times in the Mustang back when it was stock.  It wasn't so bad, especially when the top was down for some highway cruising.  

On 10/27/2014 at 8:15 AM, Det_Riot said:

I can say with 100% confidence that I would totally drive my car down to Florida. I think it would make it. In gonna rock it down to myrtle beach again this year

I'm so sick that I dreamt this happened when we first moved into this house... that all of SN95S showed up for some weekend shenanigans.  There are two Mustang guys on my street now so chances of pissing off the neighbors are slightly reduced!

A very small update on the inside of the house... I finished the tin backsplash this weekend.  No more cut up fingers!!  Other than paint, I think this is the last major project for a while.  Although, as I mentioned before, there are rumblings of crown moulding and wainscot.  

You can see in this picture that the kitchen is now the same color as the the living room... which dawns on me, I don't think I've posted pictures of that so I have a small project tonight I guess.

IMG_33861_zpscdd87d6c.jpg

With only the microwave night light on, which I think looks really neat.  I'm on a mission to find some decent under cabinet lighting today for this very reason:

IMG_33901_zps155fcce7.jpg

The butler's pantry (and dwindling bourbon collection):

IMG_34011_zps1b7b2663.jpg

• Moderators

turned out great man! you going to try LED strips under neath or small fixtures for the lighting?

Thanks!  I was going to do puck lighting.  I want some battery operated LEDs, but have a couple of nit-picky requirements - I want them to be remote operated so I don't have to go turn on every light individually, and I want them linkable so I don't have to go turn on three separate sets of lights with the remote.  Today's Internet search...

• Moderators

Couple of random updates...

My wife wanted these tables from Pottery Barn that totaled close to $2,000.  They were nothing more than fake reclaimed wood on top of a 1x1 steel tube frame.  I told her I could buy all the materials, including the welder for half that price.  She never bit off on letting me get a welder, but I think that will change Wednesday night.  Anyway, last Monday we went to a custom woodworking and reclaimed lumber shop in the Orlando area.  They had some of the most beautiful reclaimed lumber I have ever seen... and at completely reasonable prices.  

IMG_3435_zps2139f9b0.jpg

We picked out a couple of 10' American White Oak real 2x4s, and two 8' American Poplar 2x8s, and had the shop cut everything to length and joint the edges.  Total bill - $346.

IMG_3436_zps79c1a294.jpg

The American Poplar console tabletop:

IMG_3469_zps993fef08.jpg

The American White Oak end tabletops:

IMG_3470_zps494dafae.jpg

I still have to glue them together, lightly sand, and coat in poly.  I can't wait!

Also over the weekend, I got a little bourbon in me and started trying to clean up in the garage in hopes that I have a welder this upcoming weekend and @95opal is available soon to teach me to use the thing.  I bought some garage art a while back and decided to finally hang them!

IMG_3472_zps7cb25346.jpg

IMG_3471_zpsbac47534.jpg

• Moderators

garage art looks good chris, anytime you want to mess around the garage let me know.

I think I am free this weekend.  I just don't know if I will have the right tools to get shit done.

• Moderators

whatever Im free and have a box of goodies for you

I'll let you know!  If nothing else, I can get my tongue lashing out of the way lol.  Or if everyone here gets their wish, my ass whoopin.

• Moderators

GET STUFF DONE!!!!!

Garage looks great Chris... I want that Jaguar!

You'll have to fight my wife for it.  She loves that thing.  Someone hit it in the parking lot two weekends ago and did $1,300 of damage to the trunk, quarter panel, and bumper... and no note.

Tabletop computerized router or tabletop cnc for wood and acrylic and such.

Bought a truck full of tools for 500 and it was there, brand new never used

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

That's badass man! Yea my friend has one called a Shop Bot, I think his might be a little different because its a bigger floor-standing one. Either way, same machine in essence. Those are VERY cool machines

We got 2 tables saws, 2 chop saws, a large steel working dewalt chop saw, a 19" free standing bandsaw, table top planer, hand held planer, and a bunch of other miscellaneous stuff......

Oh yeah and a brand new Oliver 1013 intelicarve!!!!!! All for $500. All legit, not stolen. Her nephew owed her a lot of money and we reaped the benefits of his stupid misfortune. The Oliver is $2600 on its own!!!! Lol

Holy crap, sounds like a VERY merry Christmas for you! That is the tool score of a lifetime.

• Moderators

Both the shop (it's not quite a shop yet, but I think it's a little more than a garage) and the house got some Christmas presents this year!

The deal with the wood above was supposed to work out with me getting a welder long before Christmas time, but that didn't work out.  We open presents at the in-laws' house on Christmas Eve.  When I opened my "big" gift from my wife, I was excited and tad disappointed all at the same time; she got me a PS4!  We generally save a couple things for each other to open on Christmas morning when we do Christmas with my family via telephone in DC.  Open up all the gifts, and no welder.  Fuck.  I went upstairs to get ready for dinner.  I came back downstairs, start playing some Need for Speed and my wife says, "It looks like Santa brought you one more present!"  A Lincoln Pro-MIG 140 welder!!!  The best part of this is that she said it was a present to the house, but I needed to do work on my car before she would allow me to work on the tables.  Pretty sure she wants me to screw something of mine up and not hers, but I will take it!

And I got her these cool mirrors to go over the console table (the poplar above) in the entryway:

x354.jpg

• Moderators

That's awesome Chris! You definitely have yourself a keeper :2thumb:

Yeah, I do!  I wish some welding supply places were open today so I could get a gas tank to start melting shit.

• Moderators

Sitting here bored at work (thought getting a new job was going to cure this problem) and realized I haven't updated this in a while... also had a little inspiration at lunch too.  I don't have any real big updates, just a few small ones to add because I know everyone like pictures, no matter how trivial.

First up... the first cut of the year back in March I think and the yard finally looks like it should (only to be burnt by the incredible heat and no rain lately).  Alas, here is the best my yard has looked in 18 months:

2BCFD185-BC08-4FCE-9E71-BEF87F95FD33_zps

Also hung up a couple things around the house for my wife as I guess bare walls are a bad thing.  I bought her these mirrors for Christmas; hanging them was a bitch since each weighed about 45lbs.  

09774F9B-34C1-40B7-BC3C-0B39E08C7107_zps

The final result in the foyer looks pretty damn good though (I still have to build the new entry table):

298D8152-8A11-4A08-8DB2-CB9779D73572_zps

After a year and a half, I finally hung this bad ass piece of art we got when we went to Hawaii.  It's made of recycled metal, which was even cooler since I worked for a metal recycler at the time.  It took so long to hang because (a) as many have pointed out, and I have said, I am a terrible person, and (b) I am anal retentive; the islands had to be hung exactly where they belong.  I finally got a projector and hung this:

F8559D77-17EC-418B-B8B4-A81A6E96D5BE_zps

My fish tank will be going under it (and the build project got moved way up my priority list):

3A2CDD0D-9621-4579-A9EC-FDFF2EF91F3D_zps

I installed sunset effect LED bulbs and CEL dimmer switch in the living room, which is not that big of a deal, but the transformation was amazing.  I'll be buying these for the rest of the can lights in the house, and probably any other bulb I can replace.  You can also see I've hung the "H" monogram my wife bought around Christmas time and finally decided where to put it.

Bright:

3B31A04A-4B97-45A0-AE23-83DFA64642C0_zps

Normal:

0AB9F139-A08D-4DDB-9BD9-62443DC2FC13_zps

Dimmed (but not all the way):

D3A52F67-6C1E-4BF6-842B-DBF6DFFDCFBB_zps

A couple weeks ago I was washing some dishes in the sink and I hear "craaaaccckkk."  Fuck.  The damn undermount sink fell off the granite.  I knew this was going to happen, I just wasn't prepared for it.  Oh, and the same night the door springs in the dishwasher broke too.  Found out this past Friday that the repair was going to be half the price of a new dishwasher.  Wish my dumb ass had thought to look up repair parts since they're only $60.  Fuck.

Back story (I think it's probably in this thread somewhere), the builder broke the granite when the house was being built.  The granite guys "fixed" the break, but evidently had no part in reinstalling the sink.  I don't know who did, so I will just blame every person that had a hand in building my house.  I knew the sink was installed incorrectly the second time, but my wife told me to leave it alone when I was arguing with the builder.  It was plain that it was wrong because there were more than 1/4" gap in some places around the sink and silicone everywhere... and then mold where the silicone started falling off... and when I looked underneath, there were four bath tiles glued under the sink and cabinet in an attempt to support the sink.  That all gave way the night I was washing dishes.  So here's what happened the second I loosened the plumbing:

93422813-B9AC-474E-92BA-00897FA5B246_zps

and the construction adhesive was not just isolated to the tiles; they glued the whole fucking sink to the granite:

FF698341-FAF7-42F8-8A9D-14529AE18C59_zps

After 3 hours and about 15 razor blades I only got this far:

789BB252-64E6-427D-9192-A224CFDD59E2_zps

2C73598A-8C61-4B53-86BC-C39803FC2674_zps

All said and done, it took me close to 7 hours to scrape all the construction adhesive and silicone away just to dry fit it with the new support cables.  No pics of the cable installation as I was too tired and bleeding too much to get pictures.

456F4E94-C835-4BC8-884E-EDBE56E4ACA6_zps

And re-reinstalled:

732934A9-4F6D-48DA-A18B-31273A3C183B_zps

This past Friday was my fifth anniversary (wooden anniversary... who comes up with this shit?!).  I went the stereotypical jewelry route and got her a second wedding ring since she wanted one on either side of her engagement ring.  Easy... expensive, but easy!  I'm a guy, I never expect an anniversary gift.  She always gets me one, and always manages to surprise me with something cool too.  This year was no different in the surprise department.  All weekend she was bummed because my gift hadn't arrived yet, and then Saturday even more bummed/pissed because it hadn't arrived as she was promised.  Today she texts me and asks if I was going home because I needed to sign for the package.  I tell her I'll just take the slip to USPS/UPS/FedEx tomorrow and pick it up... Nooooooooo, not good enough.  So I go home, and find this:

9CB26F9D-94CE-4EA7-AE78-021C9D0E6532_zps

The label says it's 143lbs.  What in the actual fuck?!  So I go get my mechanic's creeper and wheel this monstrosity in the house.  I undo the package and start laughing my ass off, not because the actual gift is funny, but because I almost got her the same thing, and when I didn't, suggested it to my parents when they asked what to get us.  We've been wanting one of these since we moved in, and I have even been working with @Evilcw311 to get a real one to my house... a Maker's Mark barrel.  Empty though :P .

006EC5DC-0EF0-4FD9-B998-B956F4BF28AB_zps

This thing looks so awesome in person.  The picture doesn't do it justice at all.  It even smells like bourbon to boot!

That's all for now until this summer's project list is in full swing.

The entry looks really classy with the mirrors and the Hawaii art is super cool. I totally sympathize with the struggles with the sink, as you know I've been damning every contractor who had a hand in building the stairs in my house for a couple weeks now. On the lower flight of stairs, the stringer on the right side was completely split in half... When I took the trim off the top I thought hmm...kinda weird I can move half the stringer about an inch with my finger. I always noticed a little ridge in the side of the steps when I walked up from the garage, now I know the ridge was a bunch of caulking pumped into the crack. I dug the caulking out, cut 2x8's at angles to fit between the studs behind and fit the other side of the stringer, filled the crack with liquid nails, then clamped the holy shit out of it and screwed the 2x8's on from the back side. Solid now, but definitely 2-3 hours wasted. It's sad how half assed these people do their jobs nowadays. That's why I've been leaning toward older homes when we've been looking for the next house, I feel like maybe 50-60 years ago people still gave a shit.

The barrel is badass!

• Moderators

Awesome gift. That would be great in a basement/bar.

Thanks!  Not entirely sure if the barrel was for me or her though lol.  It was my idea to have those two chairs there with a barrel as the table, so I'm going with that!

The entry looks really classy with the mirrors and the Hawaii art is super cool. 

Last pieces of the puzzle in the entry are some paint, the table I still have to build, the wine bottle chandelier I bought a couple years ago, and possibly new lamps.  I can't think of any other cool touches.

It's sad how half assed these people do their jobs nowadays. That's why I've been leaning toward older homes when we've been looking for the next house, I feel like maybe 50-60 years ago people still gave a shit.

At least with older homes, they were made right; mistakes are character.  I love walking into old buildings and seeing the attention to detail.  You've at least done your stairs right and someone will notice!  Not that I am a craftsman by any stretch of the imagination, but that level of pride is completely lost today and it pisses me off every time I see it in my house.  There's not a square corner anywhere in this house.  My last one (built ten years ago now) was almost perfectly square.  When I put in tile, I found the house was out of square by less than 1/4" over the 60' length of the house.  Not bad.

The barrel is badass!

I wish pictures did it justice.  I noticed last night that it's clear coated, and, from what I read, formaldehyde treated... so I guess that explains why it doesn't smell like bourbon any more.

• Moderators

kinda makes me sad knowing that it doesnt smell like bourbon anymore :(

Win some and lose some I guess.  I got my wife to agree to a bourbon barrel in the house... and think it's her idea.  Win!

• Moderators

Wtf?!?!? When we get barrels they are still completely raw. No coatings or treatments. Hell half the time the inside of the staves are still moist from where the barrel had been emptied.

My guess is they do that for safety in shipping as I can say from experience that they are extremely flammable.

That and to keep it from rotting since they stopped it up with a brand new, over-sized bung.  The inside would just be damp forever.

• Moderators

Small updates again since that's all I seem to have time for lately... but since everyone here likes pictures:

Got my wife's crystal cabinet hung and lit with remote control LEDs (kinda cool):

E72F690C-BC11-43C8-81BC-E663AD0610CB_zps

Started work on the end tables for our living room.  Bought this wood back in December jeez... First two pieces glued together and second two in process.  These two sections will be joined tonight to form the first table top.  Then three more nights for the second one, and one night for the entry way table.  Slow going with only three clamps.

5A28BFCC-341F-4DD3-B9D1-47D12C975969_zps

0FBC1404-8529-4C23-964B-A58A708F7E6D_zps