Psychorugby

Heavy Horse Garage (and House)

• Moderators

Got some more work done in the garage this weekend since (a) the living room is painted and I don't have any work to do in there, and (b) my car decided it really didn't want to go back together; the A arm bushings disintegrated.  Oh, there was also this:

IMG_30431_zpsf1a80a44.jpg

Brought these home last week and they're currently sitting around waiting to find a permanent home.  I'll probably end up painting the outside black at some point to match my current tool boxes.

IMG_30241_zps9974ef3b.jpg

I picked up two 30" Gladiator cabinets last week for $99 each; they too have been sitting around waiting on me to find a home for them.  After thinking on it all week and actually asking my wife her opinion, one of them found a home (the other as well, I just have to move stuff around).  I was originally going to replace these "temporary" wire shelves with both cabinets and possibly expand to four.  These shelves used to be FULL; this is after hanging the first cabinet.

IMG_30441_zps6797b7c0.jpg

My wife thought it might get in the way of her getting out of her car.  Instead, I hung one in the single car garage on the short wall between the two garages.  This cabinet will house all my spray paints, degreasers, cleaners, etc.  I am going to take down the wire shelves, move my hurricane shutters and ladders over to that spot and hang the other cabinet in their place.

IMG_30461_zps663582ed.jpg

IMG_30451_zps74a1596c.jpg

The walls on the side of the garage where the wire shelves are/were and where my wife parks will probably remain devoid of storage... but it will be a great wall to hang up some art or vintage signs and such.  Something such as this maybe:

2014-09-0215_14_58-Garage-SketchUpMake_z

And the art I want to get:

2014-09-0215_20_04-ClutchDownCanvasArtPr

2014-09-0215_20_40-RedlineAutoCanvasArtP

• Moderators

Lol I hate those wire racks, but also have them.  I wanna make nice little stainless shelves for all the detailing non sense

They're surprisingly expensive too!  All the detailing stuff will go in the cabinet so it at least looks neat now.  Also, I think she will be able to park closer to the side to give me more room to get my big ass car in.  I'm going to try to make her side look like the showroom and my side the work shop.

Can't wait to see the part where the big blue thing makes its way in ;)

Well it was kinda sorta agreed to by my wife this weekend.  It's just a matter of which one (since I found a narrow Bend Pak) and when.  She actually was talking about it when I was telling her I wanted to build more shelves up top in the deep section.  She asked how I would access them when the lift was in... and now I am not building more shelves lol.

• Moderators

I significantly envy your garage space.

Thanks @Tabres!  It's a huge space, but, for some reason, really hard to organize and utilize... especially when your wife requires all four cars be parked inside, and only two of those cars run.  I am always open to ideas!

• Moderators

If it wasn't so damn expensive... and long.

This is the smallest one I can find, and in the running with Greg Smith and Danmar.  

• Moderators

I still can't believe they charge that much, and I've never heard of them to boot. Sad when a well known brand like Bendpak is selling theirs for WAAAAAAAY less.

Me either.  I seriously contemplated writing back and telling them as much.  Bendpak is pretty expensive and still nearly 30% cheaper.

• Moderators

Sneaked out of work early on Friday, so I have a few hours to myself.  Decided to hang my second Gladiator cabinet.  Note, this is NOT easy to do by one's self... especially when you get it halfway hung and realize the remaining two wall anchors are across the garage.

DF347B78-75A4-4608-A2EA-3F635590894B_zps

Moved all my card files under the Gladiator to their new home and filled the Gladiator will all the car detailing crap so I could take down the wire shelves on my wife's side of the garage.

IMG_31201_zps3ebc4bcd.jpg

Had another couple hours to myself Saturday so I decided to take apart the Wilton and test out the "new" Craftsman bench grinder.  I quickly realized I would need to go get a wire wheel for the angle grinder... still have the two big parts left to clean up and then I need to decide on a color.

IMG_31231_zps01f294d0.jpg

That's all I got done before heading to South Florida for the remainder of the weekend.  

• Moderators

I wish I could end a post with "then I headed to south florida" lol... Card files look nice, I'd think maybe a frame built around them with a butcher block on top would finish them off perfectly.

South Florida was great except that I am still suffering the 30+ year old 2 day hangover.  

Definitely thinking a frame and top for them.  Gotta get rid of that odd one though ;)!  I managed to get all the shop rags, and microfibers into two of the drawers, so I have a TON of empty space there.  

The bench grinder has to find a new home though.  I don't really like it there, unless I can make a swing out mount for it.

• Moderators

Spent some time with this Wilton this weekend.  I ground it down with a wire brush, primed, and painted hammered pewter which doesn't show up very well in pictures.  Side note, do not let the wire brush on the angle grinder skip off the work surface and hit your fingers.  It hurts.

IMG_3152_zpsc43cb3c8.jpg

IMG_3154_zpsa0c2ba75.jpg

IMG_3153_zps79cc169a.jpg

IMG_3155_zps64ee0ac0.jpg

IMG_3158_zps0b28b05b.jpg

Not planning to go all OCDFabworks on it, but it should serve it's purpose when I get it back together.

Also, we picked out the backsplash for the kitchen and it was delivered Friday.  I think this is going to look pretty epic (and probably slice my hands open a couple times).  This is just the sample that I hacked up to see apples to apples against the other samples:

IMG_31621_zpsd61d8d9b.jpg

i want to do a tin back splash when we re-do our kitchen.  always thought it looked so classy and pimp.  also thought about replacing the drop ceiling in our basement kitchen with a tin roof to try and brighten up the space, but that's a whole other debate.

• Moderators

i want to do a tin back splash when we re-do our kitchen.  always thought it looked so classy and pimp.  also thought about replacing the drop ceiling in our basement kitchen with a tin roof to try and brighten up the space, but that's a whole other debate.

It's surprisingly affordable.  My wife wants to do the ceiling in the kitchen/living room, but I think it would be overwhelming in a space that large.  

www.americantinceilings.com

hmm i didn't look into that much.  i wouldn't doubt it though.  good thing is that the kitchen ceiling is isolated from the rest of the basement's ceiling grid so i could pull it all out and redo it.  but again, this is down the line project.  we still have to decide if we're keeping it a kitchen or just turning it into a bar.  of course my vote is the bar.

• Moderators

hmm i didn't look into that much.  i wouldn't doubt it though.  good thing is that the kitchen ceiling is isolated from the rest of the basement's ceiling grid so i could pull it all out and redo it.  but again, this is down the line project.  we still have to decide if we're keeping it a kitchen or just turning it into a bar.  of course my vote is the bar.

Bar with a tin ceiling!

well yeah of course....duh

this tile with a dark wood bar with a black marble top

car-300.jpg

counter top

nero_africano_black_countertop.jpg

that's enough highjacking you're thread though with my bar visions...

• Moderators

God damn!  It's perfectly fine to hijack, not like I get much done in the house anyway lol.  I'd love to get a bar somewhere in my house.  I lost the opportunity when I convinced my wife that the Butler's Pantry could be her China hutch.

• Moderators

Lookin good Chris!

Thanks!!  Wish I had remembered to grab the worm drive this morning so I could find a spacer.  I probably won't get to finish it until next week now since I have class and need to get some stuff done inside before my parents get here Saturday night.

• Moderators

Gratuitous picture of the best weather we've had in 6 months.  I finished mowing the yard in record time, not drenched in sweat and ready to die because it was 77° and not a cloud in the sky!

IMG_33531_zps505e91dc.jpg

I actually had enough energy to start this project (face plates are holding up the tin):

IMG_33541_zps2a3e6a6b.jpg

It took me a while to figure out how to neatly cut out for the outlets and switches.  I still have to go back, remove all the outlets and switches, and paint them to match... just didn't want to take the electricity down for a day to do it yesterday.  Once I got into the swing of things, it wend up pretty quickly.  I just have the small section next to the fridge and the butler's pantry left to do.

IMG_33551_zps2f60591e.jpg

IMG_33591_zps6e913826.jpg

Also just noticed that every one of my construction pictures has alcohol in them haha.  Miller Lite is me, wine is for the supervisor.

• Moderators

While I don't think they often appear in my pictures, I often have an adult beverage sitting somewhere nearby when I'm working on stuff, lol.

Looks great, and those counter tops look awesome.

Thanks!  The counters were about the only thing we splurged on with the builder.  That and the add on garage.  Looking back, I'd have added on the extended back porch too.  We've still go a long way to go, but it's getting there.  Need to get a couple more things in the living room done then I can head back out to the garage and car I hope.

• Moderators

I saw you post and was expecting to see progress instead i see the wifey has full control... ouch it hurts just thinking about it lol

Yeah she does.  This is my house/garage thread anyway.