95riosnake

OCDFabworks Shop Projects: Anything Worth Doing is Worth Overdoing

• Moderators

Can't wait to see the hickory with some clear on it!  If you've got a spare piece or two at the end, hit em with some dark stain for me since that's what i plan to use on my stairs. lol

Damn Dan.  How do you get all those 2x4s looking so nice, square, and straight?  Do you just buy the real nice ones?  I notice different grades when I'm at Lowe's.  I'm not much for wood working, probably cause I don't know much about it, but you make it look good.  So that Kreg is the real deal huh?  I've seen the late night infomercial and seen them in Lowe's.  Always wondered about it.  

Do you plan to add any steel plate anywhere as a tabletop?  It'd be good for any welding or metal fab.  I don't have an official welding bench yet, but I do have a table with a sheet of steel on top and it's nice to hook the ground to the table and be able to just set something on the table and weld.  Especially with small or odd shaped things.  

I'm so envious of all of your cabinets.  There is never anything anywhere near that nice on Craiglist in my area.

Bench is looking fantastic!  You've really thought it out!  Can't wait to see it finished!

6 hours ago, Psychorugby said:

Can't wait to see the hickory with some clear on it!  If you've got a spare piece or two at the end, hit em with some dark stain for me since that's what i plan to use on my stairs. lol

I should have plenty left, since it's common grade and some of it is unusable I had to order quite a bit extra. I also have some dark-ish stain left over from the oak stair treads in the old house that I could wipe on to give you an idea.

4 hours ago, SublimeRT said:

Damn Dan.  How do you get all those 2x4s looking so nice, square, and straight?  Do you just buy the real nice ones?  I notice different grades when I'm at Lowe's.  I'm not much for wood working, probably cause I don't know much about it, but you make it look good.  So that Kreg is the real deal huh?  I've seen the late night infomercial and seen them in Lowe's.  Always wondered about it.  

Do you plan to add any steel plate anywhere as a tabletop?  It'd be good for any welding or metal fab.  I don't have an official welding bench yet, but I do have a table with a sheet of steel on top and it's nice to hook the ground to the table and be able to just set something on the table and weld.  Especially with small or odd shaped things.  

I do buy the premium studs, but the key is running them through my jointer. Check the post I'm about to add for details on it. The jointer gets the 2x4 perfectly square and straight, then I hit it with a 120 grit palm sander. It's really nice working with them once they're straight and true. The kreg jig is awesome, I recommend it 100%. My dad's had one forever, his is a much older one that is all aluminum, so that tells you how long he's had it. I do plan to have a removable steel plate for heavy work and light welding that I can fit over part of the bench, but I also have a welding table top made of 1/4" plate with 4" x 4" x 1/4" angle welded around the sides. I plan to make it into a mobile welding table that I can roll under the peninsula out of the way when I'm not using it. :2thumb:

3 hours ago, Tabres said:

I'm so envious of all of your cabinets.  There is never anything anywhere near that nice on Craiglist in my area.

Bench is looking fantastic!  You've really thought it out!  Can't wait to see it finished!

Thanks! The cabinets were definitely a hell of a score, and I got really lucky finding them. The timing was bad since I had literally just closed on the house, but I bought them anyway lol. These things are built heavy duty as hell... I could never afford to buy a comparable new set of cabinets.

So as I mentioned in my response to Blaise, I recently got a jointer. I had mentioned in passing once to my dad that I was looking to add a jointer to my collection. He said "Don't buy one, I have an extra one." Now I spent countless hours in my dad's workshop over the years and couldn't recall more than the Delta 8" jointer he had. Turns out, when he bought the jointer back in 2000, there was a defect in the fence which led to several months of jumping through hoops and wild goose chase calls. Finally he had enough and somehow ended up talking to someone pretty high up at Delta. He told them all the crap he'd been through and the guy said he was going to send him an entire jointer on the house for his trouble. He stashed it away under his work bench all these years, buried to the point that I never even knew it was there. In this pic you can see it being unearthed.

PQu0tJ.jpg

Ready for the trip to Pittsburgh:

4bLWfA.jpg

The catch is he didn't have a base, motor or switch assembly. In a hell of a stroke of luck, I hopped on eBay and found the EXACT thing I need, new old stock in an unopened box. They discontinued this jointer many years ago so this was seriously a crazy find. I forked over only $250 shipped and it came about a week later.

ylgwoQ.jpg

The box had never even been opened! The flaps were still glued shut from the factory. I broke the seal and inside was a literally mint condition base assembly.

BUOpue.jpg

XQhXlG.jpg

A few days later my dad showed up with the jointer. This thing is roughly 350lbs of cast iron, so navigating the steps down to my shop was going to be a challenge. I grabbed a couple of the boards from the work bench I tore out of the garage the day we bought the house (so glad I still had them stacked behind the house!) and screwed them down to the steps. Then we used a rope through my dad's trailer hitch to gradually slide it down the boards. Backs saved.

lgjINs.jpg

l1FIrl.jpg

Tm1D0k.jpg

nnN7BN.jpg

A couple hours of assembly and adjustments later, and it was part of the family.

ZHUu2H.jpg

This is what it usually looks like now... I'm planning on picking up a dust collector this week or next... lol

R0KdU9.jpg

p4k8iP.jpg

This thing is so nice to use, it's almost cathartic. I've found myself getting ugly old boards just to run them through and make them square and pretty again lol. Once you start working with a jointer, you'll wonder how you ever got wood to fit together correctly! I know it stepped my game up big time.

Thanks Tony! I've waited a long time to finally be in a house I plan on staying in so I could really build out the garage the way I wanted. Wasn't really an option to build anything permanent in the last garage because I would've had to leave it behind. The next place I plan to move into will have a head stone so I can really pour some effort into this one lol.

lol I love how you got your planer into your basement.  I've done the same exact thing before, except to get stuff out.  A few years ago I built my Mustang's engine in the basement at my parents' old house because I used to work on the car there and it was too cold out at the time to do it in the garage.  If anyone has ever weighed a fully assembled 4V before, it's not exactly a "we're going to carry this up a flight of stairs" weight and its really awkward to try to carry.  So, I spent $15 on a carpet dolly at harbor freight, we ratched strapped the engine to it, attached a rope and laid some boards on the stairs.  My Dad pulled and I pushed and out it came. 

It sounds like the stars really aligned on acquiring the extra parts you needed for the jointer and getting it set up.  That is a really cool tool.  I've heard of them, but didn't know that's what they were for.  All those woodworking tools seem really satisfying.  Like that jointer making things nice and straight and square.  Table saws making nice straight cuts.  Router tables doing their thing.  But I am not jealous of that pile of wood shavings at all.  I do make some pretty huge messes with metal dust, chips, and scraps though.  

On 3/5/2016 at 2:25 AM, SublimeRT said:

It sounds like the stars really aligned on acquiring the extra parts you needed for the jointer and getting it set up.  That is a really cool tool.  I've heard of them, but didn't know that's what they were for.  All those woodworking tools seem really satisfying.  Like that jointer making things nice and straight and square.  Table saws making nice straight cuts.  Router tables doing their thing.  But I am not jealous of that pile of wood shavings at all.  I do make some pretty huge messes with metal dust, chips, and scraps though.  

I actually picked up a dust collector this weekend and have it set up now. Right now it's hooked up to the jointer and I temporarily rigged up a chute behind my miter saw. Waiting for some more dust collection plumbing to show up and I'll have everything plumbed to the dust collector. I did test it out running boards through the jointer and it's a thing of beauty...not one shaving of wood on the floor now! I'll post up some pics once I get the whole system set up. Also looking to add a shop air filter unit in the ceiling to filter out particulate dust in the air from sanding and such. I've been noticing a fine layer of saw dust in the first floor of the house when I've had a weekend of a lot of work in the shop so that needs to stop lol.

@admin that router table is super nice. I have plans to build a router table sometime before too long, mine will be a tilting design though, so it can be used flat like his, or tilted upward with a rest below. Gives you more options as far as holding awkward pieces.

i think i see whats happening here...your passion has steered away from your car and headed towards garage remodeling :P 

i'm j/k i can imagine once you get your garage dialed in you will be busting out all kindsa car building AND have everything you need to do so. jealous 

42 minutes ago, tony said:

i think i see whats happening here...your passion has steered away from your car and headed towards garage remodeling :P 

i'm j/k i can imagine once you get your garage dialed in you will be busting out all kindsa car building AND have everything you need to do so. jealous 

Yea trust me I want to get back on the car, I'm forcing myself to get the garage how I want it first then I can efficiently work on the car. Pretty much the plan is to finish the work bench, then install the lights (has only four 60w bulbs right now), and add some outlets on the walls then car work can commence!

4 hours ago, 95riosnake said:

Also looking to add a shop air filter unit in the ceiling to filter out particulate dust in the air from sanding and such. I've been noticing a fine layer of saw dust in the first floor of the house when I've had a weekend of a lot of work in the shop so that needs to stop lol.

My brother built one for his wood shop a few months ago.  It's a pretty slick setup he made on the cheap from MDF he had laying around that utilizes various microns of filters secured by a latched door so you can just slide them in and out and a blower motor he sourced online.  It made a fairly dramatic impact on how dirty his shop gets, but he also doesn't have a dust collector.

Edited by Tabres

i feel like im watching an episode of "this old house" or something with Bob Villa.  Man i wish i had some woodworking talent to make nice table tops for the garage! 

2 hours ago, Admin said:

I feel as we may of had this conversation before but this guy reminds me off you, minus the car.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55006&page=1

Jack Olsen is the MAN! The fact that he reminds you of me is a huge compliment! The feel of his shop is something I'd love to have, just in a different color scheme obviously. Although I've considered a similar green/sage in the wood shop.... Only time will tell.

• Administrator
19 hours ago, 95riosnake said:

Jack Olsen is the MAN! The fact that he reminds you of me is a huge compliment! The feel of his shop is something I'd love to have, just in a different color scheme obviously. Although I've considered a similar green/sage in the wood shop.... Only time will tell.

Hey man that is what I do rainbows and butterflies lol.  Yeah dude my boy here is getting a Porsche and I was telling him about the lift in the floor and when I saw his shop again you were the first thing that popped in my head. 

So, long time no update. I haven't progressed on the shop or work bench since the last update because I've been busy remodeling and tiling a powder room and endlessly building a privacy fence. I'll have to sit down and get some pictures together of those projects to share.

But... getting back to the original theme of this thread; vintage tools. On Friday night I was browsing Craigslist and stumbled onto a posting of an estate sale the following morning, the details were vague as they always are with estate sales, but there was one picture that caught my eye.

h3hTWt.jpg

Now, I already have a late model Craftsman 8" bench grinder as well as the massive cast iron 8" 1940's Craftsman block grinder so I have no real need for another bench grinder but that grinder was destined to leave that basement and come home with me lol. My wife had to work early that morning so I didn't need to explain why in the hell I was waking up at 6am on a Saturday to go to an estate sale, which was nice. I rolled up at 6:45, thinking I was the early bird, guaranteed to get the worm... but to my surprise the entire street was lined up and down with cars and there was a line of about 75 people waiting... this being my first estate sale experience I was surprised at this but oh well.

Anyway right at 7am they opened the doors and let people in, and let me tell you, it felt like it took an hour to get to the basement through the sea of gray haired ladies and other scavengers. Finally though, I made my way in and that gem was waiting in the middle of the room. Luckily most of the people there had little to no knowledge of tools and machinery so it might as well have been invisible. I walked over and grabbed that mother fucker like Indiana Jones and got it out to the register outside to claim it. After I breathed a sigh of relief and could call the morning a success, I went back in to see what else the house had to offer. I found some early Craftsman combination wrenches, a Craftsman adjustable dado blade and 64 tooth blade set, 1/2" and 3/8" ratchets, a screwdriver and a cheap pair of loppers (for my newfound side job of maintaining a massive yard). All told, I spent $57 for everything. The grinder was $30 and the rest was $27.... well worth getting up early on a Saturday!

Here's the grinder in its new home. It will need a light sprucing up here and there but mechanically it's like he never used it. Whisper quiet and takes forever to coast to a stop once you turn it off. A little paint on this thing and it'll be perfect. The date code underneath dates it to 1965. It's a 1/3 hp model, not the most powerful they offered but more than enough for most jobs. Anything requiring more oomph will be covered by the other two grinders I have.

ZBY8MX.jpg

Here's the rest of the haul. All good old school made in USA Craftsman (except the Fiskars loppers of course).

XDCy2D.jpg

63rDYe.jpg

Some research dates the wrenches and ratchets to 1945-ish, which is pretty cool and quite impressive given their condition. My guess is the guy was the type who received tools as gifts but rarely needed to use them. I just really enjoy using these older tools because there's a connection to the old days of wrenching and fabricating that I really appreciate.

Anyway, that's all for now. I'll do my best to post another update soon to catch you up on the other stuff I've been working on that has kept the work bench and mustang on the back burner lol.

• Moderators

I'm gonna need you to start looking for this crap in the Tampa Craigslist... then take a vacation so we can go scavenging for old tools.  What an awesome haul!

love estate sales!  i've gotten quite a few items for killer deals.  usually though in the area that we go, the tools aren't good.  

$57 is a great deal! I like using older tools too....LOVE using all the ones i got from my grandpa after he passed. I have his creeper that i used to roll down his driveway on as a kid lol. Lots of memories 

21 hours ago, Prokiller said:

love estate sales!  i've gotten quite a few items for killer deals.  usually though in the area that we go, the tools aren't good.  

One of the great things about Pittsburgh is there is a lot of old school iron to be found. Estate sales are the best because the sellers often have no idea what they have and are selling too many items to research each one. I've never made it to one before because they're always early on weekend mornings and it's tough to motivate myself to willingly get up that early lol.

10 hours ago, tony said:

$57 is a great deal! I like using older tools too....LOVE using all the ones i got from my grandpa after he passed. I have his creeper that i used to roll down his driveway on as a kid lol. Lots of memories 

Yea I can't complain, it was well worth getting up early and driving 25 min lol.

The lawn tractor I use was handed down to me from my dad when we bought our new house, it's a 1975 Cub Cadet that I cut their grass with as a kid so I have history with it. It looks pretty rough these days but someday I'll fix it back up.

On 6/21/2016 at 6:35 AM, 95riosnake said:

The lawn tractor I use was handed down to me from my dad when we bought our new house, it's a 1975 Cub Cadet that I cut their grass with as a kid so I have history with it. It looks pretty rough these days but someday I'll fix it back up.

That would be a cool thread to tune into....Dan's rebuild of a 1975 cub cadet. Polish and powder coat everything :P j/k but it would be fun to restore i bet. 

1 hour ago, tony said:

That would be a cool thread to tune into....Dan's rebuild of a 1975 cub cadet. Polish and powder coat everything :P j/k but it would be fun to restore i bet. 

Honestly it probably would include powder coating lol. Probably not polish but when I do get around to restoring it, it'll get all the TLC that old tank deserves. Once things calm down a little and I find a stand-in mower I may dabble in restoring it. Right now I can't be without a mower though lol.

2 hours ago, Prokiller said:

mower restoration is a straight up winter project.

Very true, although when a big snow comes I need it to plow as well. Having a 1/8 mile long driveway has its disadvantages lol.

2 hours ago, Josh@RideTech said:

How can you tell what the build dates of the Craftsman wrenches are?  I've got several wrenches/tools from my grandpa that I'd like to know about.

I forget what exact site I ended up finding but do a google search for "vintage Craftsman tool identification" (or insert other manufacturer name in place of Craftsman) and you'll find a few places. If you're ever looking into machinery, vintagemachinery.org and garagejournal.com are both a wealth of information. VM is more of a reference index and GJ is more of a forum but both offer a great resource.

On 6/30/2016 at 11:04 AM, Prokiller said:

you should post up the cardboard throne @95riosnake

Will do sir!

So my wife LOVES Game of Thrones (both the books and the show), so for her birthday I got her "The World of Ice and Fire" by George R. R. Martin, which is a companion book to the Game of Thrones novels she has.

BZ3F2L.jpg

Now I knew she would love it, but I don't like just buying something to give as a gift. I wanted something to take it a bit further, so I decided to make the delivery of the gift unique.

I started by drawing out some parts to cut on the CNC box cutter at work from B/C flute (translation: double layered) cardboard:

jhyCsk.jpg

Then after a couple hours of gluing the swords in place I had a cardboard Iron Throne

Qb2afK.jpg

As you can see, it's a throne for the book to sit on

rQTfIj.jpg

I go to work waaaaay before her each morning so I started by hanging a couple notes on the walls upstairs. First, outside of our master bedroom in the hallway a note read "A girl has no birthday" then at the bottom of the stairwell coming down to the first floor another read "But you do... ...a gift is coming" and another on the floor at the landing of the steps with an arrow pointing into the living room where the throne and gift were set up in the middle of the floor.

PdFlmq.jpg

I realize that to anyone who doesn't watch the show, all of that will make very little sense but to those who do, it was pretty awesome and she loved it. :D

that's awesome Dan.  i only saw the throne on her IG and i knew there had to be more to the story.  loved the post-its.  i totally want to get those dragon egg book ends too 

That's a really clever idea.  Nice work.

Has your wife gotten through the book yet?  I've heard it is really, really arduous content, like listing out family lineages, physical descriptions, location descriptions... a very similar experience to reading the Silmarillion.  I've always been curious about it as I've been a fan of the books since way before the series came out, but after I'd heard that from multiple people I haven't been able to get myself to read it.

Edited by Tabres