95riosnake

OCDFabworks Shop Projects: Anything Worth Doing is Worth Overdoing

congrats on finally getting moved into your new house dan!!  

Thanks! I've been working pretty much every spare minute fixing things up since we moved in. Worked about 18 hrs a day on it Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Patched all the holes in the garage walls, repaired damage to them, have the upper 3/4 of the walls painted white (lower 1/4 will be dark gray), still need to paint the ceiling white. Also rebuilt an angled corner cabinet at the end of the kitchen cabinets into a straight/square cabinet to accept a normal style counter top, pulled the kitchen sink, removed the old counter tops, and started measuring for the new counter tops lol. It was a busy weekend. Imageshack is finally back up, so once I get a minute to breathe I'll get some pictures posted.

Hasn't even had a chance to settle into the house and already the mods have started!  LOL ;)

Is it bad that I haven't even unpacked my clothes yet? lol. I'm still living out of the suitcase I had when we were staying at my wife's parents for 2 weeks before we closed on the house. Somehow clothes don't seem to be a priority to me lol.

Is it bad that I haven't even unpacked my clothes yet? lol. I'm still living out of the suitcase I had when we were staying at my wife's parents for 2 weeks before we closed on the house. Somehow clothes don't seem to be a priority to me lol.

No judgement here.  When I graduated college and bought my first place I went a year without a proper dresser in my bedroom.  Most of my clothes sat in neat piles on my bedroom floor.  I told everyone I just hadn't found a bed set that I liked yet.  That was partly true, but mostly I was just buying car parts instead.  Ah, the life of a bachelor.

No judgement here.  When I graduated college and bought my first place I went a year without a proper dresser in my bedroom.  Most of my clothes sat in neat piles on my bedroom floor.  I told everyone I just hadn't found a bed set that I liked yet.  That was partly true, but mostly I was just buying car parts instead.  Ah, the life of a bachelor.

Ah the good old days. I remember my first apartment after I graduated from VT and moved to Pittsburgh... I had very little, but I had a garage and plenty of car parts stacked in the living room and my bedroom lol.

it's the best time to do all the work before you get settled.  otherwise you get lazy and don't want to disrupt daily life to rip something apart.  

it's the best time to do all the work before you get settled.  otherwise you get lazy and don't want to disrupt daily life to rip something apart.  

Yea right now I have no countertops, no kitchen sink, no oven (new, not hooked up yet), no dishwasher (new, not hooked up yet), and a half painted garage lol. I've rebuilt two kitchen cabinets so far. Undoing someone else's neglect can be time consuming.

I'll post pics of the kitchen stuff once I get it all finished, shooting for wrapping it up this weekend. Been working on it every day, basically anytime I'm not at work or sleeping.

The money pit finally made the pilgrimage to the new house yesterday :2thumb:

5kwi7a.jpg

VAZoAT.jpg

RTJpvb.jpg

Holding off on pics of the new garage until I finish up getting things settled in there, shouldn't be much longer before I have a healthy update for your guys.

:lol:  That tow truck :ph34r:

Super nice dude that has 4 jobs, towing the cars on the side is one of them. Couldn't say enough things about how much he loved the car, and we bullshitted for about an hour each time he towed the car for me... not to mention I think his truck is badass (loud as hell and 460 big block powered) and he charged 1/3 the price that most of the assholes tried to rape me for. I was able to look past the shitty paint job lol

Super nice dude that has 4 jobs, towing the cars on the side is one of them. Couldn't say enough things about how much he loved the car, and we bullshitted for about an hour each time he towed the car for me... not to mention I think his truck is badass (loud as hell and 460 big block powered) and he charged 1/3 the price that most of the assholes tried to rape me for. I was able to look past the shitty paint job lol

Sometimes that's the best way to do it. An actual enthusiast who enjoys towing, not just getting rich off of it. I can only imagine how loud that thing is though. Glad the car is finally home for ya :2thumb:

Right on Dan!  I like how you can see the red IRS subframe poking out the bottom of the car.  Nice plate, too.  Not sure if I noticed that before.  Looking forward to the healthy update.  

Right on Dan!  I like how you can see the red IRS subframe poking out the bottom of the car.  Nice plate, too.  Not sure if I noticed that before.  Looking forward to the healthy update.  

Yea I was following the truck for about half the trip thinking "damn that IRS looks kick ass!" Too bad the car doesn't ever sit high enough to see it normally lol.

Haha @Tabres I do, just trying to find some time to carve out to post them. Every night I intend to, I end up working on the house until I hit the pillow. I think to simplify a first update I'll just cover what I've done in the garage so far, then when I have time I'll hit the other projects I've been dumping all my free time into lol.

i really had my hopes up of a post Dan.  not much of a friday here today so when i saw your name and this thread as new i got all excited...just for you to slam my hopes, dreams and aspirations right on the ground.  :(

Haha well here's a little update for you guys, I have 50+ pics of garage/tool-related things to post so I'll just post them as I get time.

First update:

Here's the earliest pic I have of the garage. I took it about an hour after I closed on the house. The garage is a 24' x 27' with 9.5' ceilings, which is a nice upgrade over my previous 17' x 26' x 7'. I was waiting for a termite guy to come (there was a wooden work bench in the garage with mild termite damage so I wanted to make sure that was an isolated condition) and a mold guy to come (one of the attics had a little mold starting due to improper venting at the ridge, so they remediated the mold and installed a thermostat-controlled power fan), so I took some time to tear down the work bench that consisted of haphazardly nailed, screwed and glued together 4x4's and 12 foot 2x10's. It's hard to see in this pic, but there are literally hundreds of nail holes in the walls. I think anytime the PO was holding a tool and needed to put it down, he drove a nail in the wall and hung it up. Oh and he didn't just use a regular nail, nope...4" ring shanks for EVERYTHING, including those shelves you see.

DhA0Z6.jpg

Remains of sad work bench:

E8QiRK.jpg

So the aforementioned termite guy stopped in as I was pulling nails and said he needed me to turn on the hose bib outside so he could run his poison pump thing, I said sure and turned on a valve next to the door into the kitchen and went back to pulling nails. A second later I hear splashing water and see this.

OvCDqt.jpg

MsAmNC.jpg

So the dipshit PO decided the best way to get water to the hose bib on the outside wall of the garage was to run a pipe from the valve I turned, up the wall, through the ceiling into the attic, across the ceiling, back down through the ceiling, down the other wall, and through to the outside. Now it gets cold here in PA in the winter so you can imagine what happened to the pipe in the attic, despite the half hearted attempt to insulate it with pipe insulation.

UqivFQ.jpg

^ Among the repairs I found every foot or so, you can see the split in the center of that picture.

Sooo after I pulled out all the soaked insulation from the affected area, sopped up the water, left a fan blowing up there for a day or so to dry it out, I regrettably had to move all my stuff in. I wanted to clean the garage better prior to this but plans don't always work out the way I'd like them to.

ji16LZ.jpg

BsEZaQ.jpg

MA15He.jpg

The water leak had created quite a stain in the ceiling, and the garage was faced with concrete board of some sort with plaster on top (worst finishing system in the history of everything IMO), so I scraped off the loose stuff in preparation to patch it all. The panel was bone dry and hadn't sustained too much damage thankfully, other than a stain.

nBlwmj.jpg

GLyFTx.jpg

First thing was to rip out that dumbass plumbing for the hose bib outside. There are half a million others on the outside of the house (PO owns a landscaping business...) so I decided I could do without one.

pgS3zB.jpg

Sharkbite fittings FTW.

Whqjhl.jpg

Also ditched its buddy the coax cable going up into the attic to the satellite I have no use for.

9C9GRK.jpg

ztSJCK.jpg

OMULXt.jpg

All the junk out:

xlrIHS.jpg

I'll rework this plumbing at some point but for now it works.

canrM9.jpg

Some damage pictures, there were dozens of spots like this... :(

nUxcBD.jpg

YKj60O.jpg

That's all for this update, next update will show how the garage looks now. I promise it gets much better ;)

Dear God, the PO was a hack.  No wonder you've been too busy to update this.

Nice job salvaging his mess.

You literally have no idea... It's a great house that was built with, at the time, top of the line stuff. 24" footers, top of the line heating and cooling, Andersen windows and doors, the entire house is wired for security (literally wires running all over the house for security, inside the walls, etc.) but the manner in which a lot of the things were done is sub-par, at least to me.

Got to love what some people think is acceptable. :rolleyes:   Excited to see what you end up doing with the space!!

Yep, he's a piece of work for sure... lol

Ok so moving on, with the help of my wife and my mom, I filled 345984702562130497 holes in the walls. The walls and ceiling had a textured swirl pattern which I loathed with every ounce of my being. I initially had myself convinced to skim coat the entire thing to smooth it, but the reality of skimming and sanding 5-6 coats of compound on every surface of the garage hit hard. I settled on using a palm sander to knock down the wall texture to a minimal amount, and left the ceiling as-is. The ceiling doesn't really bother me, and after a couple coats of Sherwin Williams Superpaint, the walls are mostly smooth and will clean pretty easily. So onto some pics...

"Action shot" painting into the night, lol

pXihEY.jpg

Went with gray on the lower walls. I know it's not a groundbreaking color scheme, but it looks damn nice. The top edge of the gray will line up with the tops of the cabinets I showed a while back, so it will all blend together into one. Ignore the ugly counter top in the pic, lol. That used to be in the kitchen, more on that project in the future.

s7Bksi.jpg

Old school fridge also gone now, lol.

l7tXO1.jpg

Decided to go with a bold look on the man door

OS5p7E.jpg

Coming together at this point

B1knv6.jpg

Ju2jzd.jpg

Put up my shelving, which currently is serving as a catch-all :(

BqJdDN.jpg

Some OCD

0xDxg1.jpg

The OCD Machine finally came home around this point. It was really nice not having it around for all the dust...

NwTfVB.jpg

IvlkWS.jpg

GDlcC7.jpg

Moved the new cabinets up from the basement. The red/gray cabinet on the left will be in the middle, bumped out about 4 feet to create a little peninsula where my mobile work bench is shown right now. That work bench will make its way down the the basement/wood shop.

gF4TZu.jpg

^ Yep, that's 23 feet of cabinets :2thumb:

The two smaller, all-drawer cabinets went under the window. My bench top Walker Turner drill press will go on top of them eventually.

KdjIWF.jpg

Ordered some 2" aluminum custom blinds to keep the spies at bay.

JVtBCl.jpg

EkboNq.jpg

Still need to finish the windows out with some trim

RQtSnO.jpg

Next up, the garage door opener is as old as time, has NO safety features whatsoever, the remotes are broken to pieces and... it's wood grain. So I decided to go with this Liftmaster 8500 Jack Shaft opener. The great thing about this setup is it eliminates having the opener on the ceiling. It's all mounted next to the garage door instead, letting you have a clean, open ceiling. I haven't had time to install this yet unfortunately, but I'm hoping to start this coming weekend.

amP6g9.jpg

teCdwO.jpg

This color coordination was no accident ;)

5Fctoo.jpg

My dad gave me this 5000w heater for my birthday, and it will be greatly appreciated very soon. I need to run a new 30a circuit to the garage for it though, so that install is also pending.

abknfZ.jpg

And lastly, a couple shots of the mess as the garage sits now. It has taken a major back seat to projects inside the house, but I intend to split up my 3 day weekends from now on to do 1 day on the garage and 2 on the house. I'll feel much better once the garage is progressing again.

rouvXB.jpg

dD76Nr.jpg

(Plywood stacked against the wall to start making a top for the cabinets)

IU39wc.jpg

Stay tuned for more in the coming weeks. I have some pretty elaborate plans for the work bench top, as well as some other tricks up my sleeve that I can't wait to get started on and show you guys.

Same color combination my Dad did in his garage, and the same that I'm planning on eventually doing in mine.  Looks really, really nice!  I love all of the cabinets, too!  Can't wait to see more, including the house projects!

dan that is what garage door openers i have, i can help you if you have any questions they are pretty easy to do

I watched a DIY on youtube and it looks pretty straightforward, I think it will be a really nice setup once I get it installed. One issue I ran into was my door needs balanced. It said you need to be able to release the door from the opener, then lift it up half way and it should stay there on its own. Mine wasn't quite there, so I got some winding rods and will be risking life and limb adjusting the spring tension this weekend prior to the install. Keep me in your prayers, lol.

Same color combination my Dad did in his garage, and the same that I'm planning on eventually doing in mine.  Looks really, really nice!  I love all of the cabinets, too!  Can't wait to see more, including the house projects!

Yea it's not a new color combo, but it's a timeless one. I considered a few different options I've seen on Garage Journal, but a lot of the more off the beaten path schemes I've seen wouldn't really fit with the type of car I have. I'd need an old F100 with patina for it to look right. My wife also isn't as keen on the full blown vintage style so I had to keep things a little bit modern too.

I have shit loads of pics to go through for the house stuff. It's gonna take me some time to organize them. I'll hopefully be adding those updates before too long.

i'm surprised you didn't follow the color scheme through the door as well Dan.  definitely coming along nicely though.  

You mean the man door? I played with the idea of that in my head but thought the all red door would look better. If you're talking about the garage door, I have plans for that. Still kicking around ideas but it will not be staying the "masking tape white" color that the PO used everywhere for sure.

You mean the man door? I played with the idea of that in my head but thought the all red door would look better. If you're talking about the garage door, I have plans for that. Still kicking around ideas but it will not be staying the "masking tape white" color that the PO used everywhere for sure.

i meant the mandoor but why am i not at all surprised that you would paint the actual garage door to match the wall schema.

i meant the mandoor but why am i not at all surprised that you would paint the actual garage door to match the wall schema.

If it was just normal white I would probably leave it alone, but it's this terrible off white color that I've been finding in different places in the house. It isn't bad until you get bright white next to it, then it looks terrible. You can see what I mean in this pic:

l7tXO1.jpg

So the garage door being so massive, it definitely needs something. I'll likely end up carrying the wall stripe scheme over it, but I've had a couple other ideas as well. We'll see, I need to scrub the hell out of the door first, and that hasn't been an appealing prospect to me yet lol.