95riosnake

OCDFabworks Shop Projects: Anything Worth Doing is Worth Overdoing

• Moderators

What the hell are you drilling that you need to sharpen your bits?  I have bits that are getting on 50 years old that still do their job...

I assumed Scott had two separate thoughts there, lol. I wondered about get a bit sharpener. I have horrible trouble drilling through even the thinnest stuff with a hand drill. They work well at the start but give me trouble after just a few uses.

I assumed Scott had two separate thoughts there, lol. I wondered about get a bit sharpener. I have horrible trouble drilling through even the thinnest stuff with a hand drill. They work well at the start but give me trouble after just a few uses.

if you spend the money on good cobalt bits for example, you won't have that problem.  or the need for a sharpener.

if you spend the money on good cobalt bits for example, you won't have that problem. or the need for a sharpener.

Or use proper drilling techniques lol I learned a lot doing the subframes and I think one of the most important things I learned was you don't have to crank the drill at 100% and push all your effort into blowing through metal. Sometimes its more effective to let the bit do the work so you don't have to

damn Dan, I knew there was a reason i save your threads for last! Spent the past 20 minutes just reading and looking.  Your dad does some awesome work, pretty jealous of your knowledge base that you can pull from :)

damn Dan, I knew there was a reason i save your threads for last! Spent the past 20 minutes just reading and looking.  Your dad does some awesome work, pretty jealous of your knowledge base that you can pull from :)

Thanks Will, he is definitely a huge wealth of knowledge. I honestly have no idea how he always knows EXACTLY what to do regardless of the task at hand. I sometimes go help him with some of his bigger projects and watching him work usually leaves me feeling like a hack with no idea what I'm doing lol.

Most of last weekend's free time was spent heading down to my parents' house to give my dad the sign, but I did manage to check off another item on the "ingredients for a cool shop space" list.

I decided the garage needed a nice old shop clock, something with vintage character. Sure, you can buy "retro" clocks that look like old clocks but I wanted something with a little history. I browsed around Craigslist and eBay for a couple weeks trying to get a handle on what style/era of clock I wanted to go with. I ended up coming across this old Westclox wall clock, not the biggest but given my smaller shop size I think the size suits the space well. It was listed as "Not functioning, as-is for parts" but I decided I'd roll the dice, buy it and get the thing working again somehow. The bright red ring against the ivory face not only fit well with my color scheme, but had exactly the look I had in mind and at a price of $11, I couldn't lose.

PUhMd5.jpg

I did a little research and found out the clock dates to 1939-1941, a bit older than the mid/late 50's I was assuming but it makes it that much cooler in my eyes. Here's the info on it from clockhistory.com:

lV6Yds.jpg

For those following along, $3.50 in 2014 money would be roughly $59.79

Immediately apparent was the lack of a power cord, so I opened it up to find the power cord had been cut off, and one of the wires to the motor was no longer connected. The upper inside area of the clock and rear cover showed remnants of an electrical fire, hinting that the clock had shorted out at some point. Since it was set up with only a 2 wire cord, my guess was that the ground had come loose from the motor and caused a bit of a catastrophe. I was a little worried the motor may be fried, but it wouldn't hurt to keep plugging away and see if I could breathe new life into it.

bspqVb.jpg

dmoFNT.jpg

During the process of rewiring it (the ground wire was the smallest wire I think I've ever seen on something AC powered, lol):

9qAfwQ.jpg

Wired up and ready to go. I switched it over to a new 3 wire cord and added a frame ground to prevent any future catastrophes.

epQaTr.jpg

The moment of truth came and I plugged it in. To my delight, all the gears started spinning along like it was WW2 again :2thumb:

Now that I knew it worked, I cleaned and polished up the glass lens, hit the aluminum trim ring with some metal polish, and buffed the red enamel a bit with some compound.

IaC2o1.jpg

HUDejf.jpg

Next, the hammer drill got the nod again (no doubt to the delight of my neighbors ;) ) and I settled on mounting it between the drill press and paint rack.

jCUi12.jpg

AJbXfU.jpg

The cord stuck out like a sore thumb to me, so I picked up a wall cord cover and painted it to match the white and gray two tone of the wall.

cl2KCw.jpg

jmiksO.jpg

The clock has been running about a week now and the time is still dead on. I'll be interested to see how long it will hold true, I'm really amazed that it's not running fast or slow given its age. Not bad for a 75 year old clock!

Dan, pretty soon the stang is going to look out of place in that vintage garage of yours!

Agreed. Time for some HRE 501's, haha. Actually I want those...

Love the clock. It's nice that it worked out so well and only required some simple wiring. That wall cord cover was definitely a necessity.

Agreed. Time for some HRE 501's, haha. Actually I want those...

Love the clock. It's nice that it worked out so well and only required some simple wiring. That wall cord cover was definitely a necessity.

For a vintage style, I've been diggin the 505 and 454 also... but the last thing I need to do is buy a 2nd set of HRE's lol. Might as well draft the divorce papers first lol

Ever since I hung the wheel loft and had to take down the Ridetech banner, I've been trying to decide where to put it. Decided on here for the time being:

kRz82Q.jpg

I've been using a trash can that previously lived in the kitchen of my old apartment... not exactly something that fits the vibe I'm shooting for in the space.

TsgkM8.jpg

I started looking around online to see what the past had to offer. I ran across the Lawson Torpedo cans, but quickly found that anything I managed to find being sold on eBay or Craigslist was either beat to hell and rusted badly, or was owned by someone who either a) wanted too much for it or b) wanted too much for shipping. Eventually I discovered that Rubbermaid industrial makes an extremely similar can, and it was even available in the exact color I wanted. The price was the same as a rusty, dented vintage one, and I wouldn't have to go to the trouble of restoring something that used to be filled with trash (kinda nasty when you think about it). So as a birthday present to myself, I ordered it. It showed up a few days ago and it looks right at home.

iVJ5pX.jpg

LKWLtb.jpg

v1hFAT.jpg

I was actually looking at getting an old 15 gallon oil/grease drum like I remember my dad having as a trash can when I was a kid, but it's another thing that Pinterest has ruined because apparently someone decided they're a hot item for man caves. If you manage to find a nice one, they're incredibly overpriced for what they are.

Does anybody else find it odd and disturbing that dan took the easy way out and just bought a trash can that was good to go!?!?!?

I mean, what's this world coming to when we expect to see some kind of crazy custom restored piece and here he just BUYS a new can?!?!?

Wtf dude........slacking in your old age............. Lmao

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

Haha, there's a point where better judgement comes in. Paying the same money for something in BAD condition doesn't compute lol. No worries, I'll be building something overkill soon enough, I have something brewing that will step up my fabrication capabilities :2thumb:

the paint doesn't match I give it a week before its fixed.

It doesn't? (insert head scratch smiley here)

I'm drooling over that drilling machine your Dad restored.  I want something like that soo bad.  Your Dad is a very talented man, I can see why you look up to him.  Glad to see he really loved the sign as well. 

The clock and the garbage bin are real nice too.  I recently upgraded my garbage bin as well from one about the size of your old one.  I got a plastic 32 gal from Lowe's with some nice thick contractor bags.  On a side note, what kind of floor jack do you have there?  I have a Craftsman that's about 10 years old that died a while ago.  It's an import jack, looks like most others on the market just different colors.  I replaced some o-rings in it though and still no dice so I'm not messing with it anymore.  

I wouldn't mind having a vintage US made jack like this: http://houston.craigslist.org/tls/4742400462.html  That one is not too far from me.  Looks like it needs some work though and the price might be a bit high; it's been up for a while now and I've been thinking about it.  At the same time though it's kind of one of those things I just want to buy and work without worry and not have to mess with.

I'm drooling over that drilling machine your Dad restored.  I want something like that soo bad.  Your Dad is a very talented man, I can see why you look up to him.  Glad to see he really loved the sign as well. 

The clock and the garbage bin are real nice too.  I recently upgraded my garbage bin as well from one about the size of your old one.  I got a plastic 32 gal from Lowe's with some nice thick contractor bags.  On a side note, what kind of floor jack do you have there?  I have a Craftsman that's about 10 years old that died a while ago.  It's an import jack, looks like most others on the market just different colors.  I replaced some o-rings in it though and still no dice so I'm not messing with it anymore.  

I wouldn't mind having a vintage US made jack like this: http://houston.craigslist.org/tls/4742400462.html  That one is not too far from me.  Looks like it needs some work though and the price might be a bit high; it's been up for a while now and I've been thinking about it.  At the same time though it's kind of one of those things I just want to buy and work without worry and not have to mess with.

Thanks Blaise! Yea I hope someday I can be as talented as my old man, he is one of those guys that quite literally knows how to do everything... it astounds me honestly. I just don't know how he always seems to know exactly what to do lol.

The jack is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Design-Model-ATD-7325-Profile/dp/B000OUZVK0

I've had it a few years now and no complaints. It takes a bit of extra effort to pump because of the leverage of the design, but I could slide it right under the front of my cobra without driving up onto blocks. It reached the K member pretty easily, I threw a cloth on top and the raised black cover just rubs the bottom of the front bumper. Funny, I read through the reviews in that link and didn't realize I reviewed it back when I got it in 09, lol. My opinion on it hasn't changed since then so that's a good thing!

I've also thought about one of those old jacks, but since I already have one that suits my needs I haven't pursued it. Like you, a jack and jack stands are things I would rather just have ready to rock, and not be worried if I did something wrong and the car is gonna drop suddenly lol.

Ever since I hung the wheel loft and had to take down the Ridetech banner, I've been trying to decide where to put it. Decided on here for the time being:

kRz82Q.jpg

v1hFAT.jpg

the paint doesn't match I give it a week before its fixed.

Really?  lol

I know it isn't vintage but my old man Got me this one from his work

Damn you to hell.

I looked for a Kendall one for a while (because of being red) and every one I found was rusted beyond saving.

Or use proper drilling techniques lol I learned a lot doing the subframes and I think one of the most important things I learned was you don't have to crank the drill at 100% and push all your effort into blowing through metal. Sometimes its more effective to let the bit do the work so you don't have to

I missed all these "drilling" comments and had everything multi-quoted until I read this.  Couldn't stress this enough.  Lets drill this 1/4" hole into 3/16th stainless steel at 7200rpm and push as hard as we can!!!!  *facepalm*  ... Some people also lack using a lubricant for drilling which is definitely required in some situations.  I actually use this stuff almost everytime I drill a hole :Dhttps://flic.kr/p/qdDZqc   ... no pun intended.

All looks kosher in the garage Dan!  That style can fits perfectly in there, especially with the matched red paint!  Thumbs up! B-)

so i went straight to the last page in this thread immediately and seen the red can....instantly thought wtf did he do powder coat and polish a trash can :P 

man i love the taste you have in stuff dan. prolly the best looking trash can i've seen lol. you have some really nice pieces in that garage. 

Haha @tony that was the plan if I had found a good used candidate but it wasn't in the cards lol

I appreciate the comments guys, I know a trash can seems like a stupid thing to make a post about, but as usual I put too much thought into things and I was excited to share my upgrade to something classy ;)

Haha, gotta have a nice space to build the car in!

with all this stuff you're picking up, I don't think there will be enough space in the garage by the time actual car parts start making their way in again :D 

with all this stuff you're picking up, I don't think there will be enough space in the garage by the time actual car parts start making their way in again :D

The crazy thing is I actually have far more room than I used to, all the storage/drawers have gotten stuff off the floor and I purged a TON of junk out of the garage in the process. I've been working on the car the past few weeks and its so much nicer to work in there now than it was last winter... like no comparison.