95riosnake

OCDFabworks Shop Projects: Anything Worth Doing is Worth Overdoing

I have a couple drill press vises, including the bonus Columbian that came with the bench top Walker Turner drill press which is my preferred vise because of vintageness. I like them the most for general drilling, like something that doesn't need to be clamped down ridiculously tight. I just put the piece in the vise then clamp the vise in the correct position before drilling. The drill press vise grips that slip down into the slots of the table are great also, and provide a bit stronger hold, but sometimes don't work on some items that the vises would. I have a set of 1-2-3 blocks but haven't yet needed them. My dad actually gave them to me because he ordered a bunch from Enco. I've actually looked at a cross slide vise but like you said, I start to wonder if I should just wait and get a mill. One nice thing about the cross slide is that you can clamp the vise down first, then position the piece with the cross slide adjustments. Normally you have to play around with getting the piece and vise in the correct position before clamping the vise down.

I actually found a Southbend vertical mill (a BIG one) on CL locally for $1100... and of course the timing couldn't be worse lol.

Haha don't worry Steve, work will begin in the new place before too long!

Cool.  I saw the Columbian, but didn't know what else you had floating around there.  Sounds like after I get a vise and a few more clamps I'll be in pretty good shape.  Almost bought a little $20 cheapie vise at Tractor Supply today to hold me over, but ehh I'll see what else I can find.  Maybe find a good deal on ebay or something.  I'm interested in the cross slide not so much for milling operations, but just for the ease and accuracy of drilling things.  I've read milling operations with a drill are pretty hard on it and I don't want to mess it up.  The place I've been getting my metal from though, are pretty friendly fellows and while talking to them the other day I learned they have a big old mill, lathe, huge CNC plasma table, and a lot more.  They said they can build anything and do any kind of custom work.  So if I need any of that kind of work done I'll just run down there and bug them.

Yeah, bad timing on the mill, ha.  Sounds like a good deal though, even if the machine needs some work.  I look at them on CL and they usually go for $2-3k+ down here.  I was lusting over that mill-drill your Dad restored though.  That looks like the hot ticket.  Milling and drilling operations with a smaller footprint than those big mills.  

I got a craftsman press last year after wanting one for some time now for my metal work.  I have the clamp like dan said and its good for 3/4 of what I need but I have been eyeing a vise for it and even better yet one of the ones with the cranks on the side more like a milling machine.  I made this jig up to allow me to drill the holes for my new brake light so I could get them spaced evenly and straight and was happy with how it worked.  I know the plexi squares are messy because of the saw I had to use to cut them but I was using the plexi's 1/8" thickness as my guide not the size I cut them into.  First time I have done something like this and it worked really well.

IMG_20150824_152052740_HDR.jpg

That's pretty creative with the little plexi bits.  Looks like it worked well.  The cross slide vise would have done you good there, for sure.  I was looking at a Craftsman DP before I got mine.  They were having a sale on them, but our Sears here in Nac is very small and they don't stock many tools.  I would have had to go to the next town over.  I'm happy with mine though.  I, too, have been wanting one for a long time.  

Well OCD Fabworks v.1 has drawn to a close. We moved out of the old house on Thursday night. After leaving the keys on the kitchen counter I snapped a couple pics of the empty garage... kinda sad but there are better things to come!

8PKuEo.jpg

k6ZHaH.jpg

• Moderators

Well OCD Fabworks v.1 has drawn to a close. We moved out of the old house on Thursday night. After leaving the keys on the kitchen counter I snapped a couple pics of the empty garage... kinda sad but there are better things to come!

Think of the stories those walls could tell...

Think of the stories those walls could tell...

"That mother fucker wouldn't get shit done. He'd come to the garage, I'd get all excited thinking he'd make a mess, nope, nothing, he'd look st the car for 3 hours, turn 4 nuts, smile, and walk away. Wtf!"

• Moderators

"That mother fucker wouldn't get shit done. He'd come to the garage, I'd get all excited thinking he'd make a mess, nope, nothing, he'd look st the car for 3 hours, turn 4 nuts, smile, and walk away. Wtf!"

I think you're confused with my garage walls.

sorry i couldn't come out to help you move out Dan.  i did really want to help.  how did it go?

It's all good, we got it done with a couple friends and our parents. It went pretty well, just a ton of work. We moved everything out of the garage as well as some of the furniture and a bunch of boxes on the 28th, then moved everything else out on the 3rd. Finished up cleaning after we had everything out around 2am. Then drove an hour to Andrea's parents' house, slept a few hours, then drove back the next morning for the closing lol. Now we wait till the 18th to get the new house finally.

9 days... only 5 more work days for you.  You can do that standing on your head.

Yea it isn't too bad, the drive SUUUUUCCCCKKKKKSSSS though. My morning commute yesterday was 58 minutes and the return commute was 2h 21m... I think I might just get an air mattress, fold the seats down and camp in the parking lot at work next week lol.

• Moderators

Yea it isn't too bad, the drive SUUUUUCCCCKKKKKSSSS though. My morning commute yesterday was 58 minutes and the return commute was 2h 21m... I think I might just get an air mattress, fold the seats down and camp in the parking lot at work next week lol.

Only 16 hours, 40 minutes more of that commute.  Silver linings...

"That mother fucker used to really get shit done. Then he decided to sell us and, nope, nothing. He'd bring a box of stuff down here, and walk away. Wtf!"

"That mother fucker used to really get shit done.......... He'd come to the garage, I'd get all excited thinking he'd make a mess working on his car, nope, nothing, he'd start working on a tool or some shit  for hours, turn smile, and walk away. Wtf!"

Fixed @95riosnake Fix  ;)

Well fellas, you might have noticed my absence from the site last week, I apologize lol. I took last week off to get moved to the new house and try to get settled as much as possible. The house was left quite dirty by the seller, lots of maintenance needed done that had been let go for about a decade, etc. Most of that is all fixed up now after 10 days of working about 18 hrs a day on it.

So onto what you clicked on this thread for... shop news. The shop/garage is currently a disaster, but hey, at least all my stuff is there. On moving day, we had two loads to haul from storage to the house. The first was a load of 100% house stuff, the second was 90% tools/garage/machinery. Both trips filled a 17' moving truck nearly to the roof, as well as my dad's 20' tandem axle open trailer. We loaded the majority of the heavy, difficult machines, cabinets, work bench, etc onto the trailer and before we even got it all strapped down, the dark clouds rolled in. We grabbed tarps and covered it all as best we could. The sky literally opened up and we had one of the hardest thunderstorms this year for about a half hour. I was beside myself, and completely soaked from getting the tarps in place. Luckily no damage was done, other than my stress level being through the roof.

Unfortunately the garage has taken a back seat to getting the house squared away but here are a couple photos of it. The garage is 24' wide x 27' deep, compared to my previous 17' wide x 26' deep it's a nice upgrade. Not to mention a 9' ceiling vs the previous 7-1/2' ceiling. I tore a bunch of shitty shelving off the walls, and dismantled a huge, sloppily built and falling apart work bench before moving my stuff in. I need to fill about 2 or 3 million nail holes in the walls and paint before I can really start getting this area sorted, so right now everything is just sitting on the floor.

Remains of the work bench:

SEEbmP.jpg

Before all my stuff was moved in:

B1EFaW.jpg

And the current mess, lol.

lNVVKj.jpg

LlNBTm.jpg

CZwHnB.jpg

A bonus of the house is the 18' x 35' finished basement, as well as a 14' x 27' unfinished basement. The unfinished basement will become my dedicated wood shop.

I ran across some cabinets on CraigsList and bought them. They were originally from a bank, and weigh a ton. These will line the back wall of the garage (the wall you see as you drive into the garage) and will have a massively long work bench top over them. I think I'm going to do a couple layers of plywood, then some type of hardwood flooring on top. The final length will be around 21 feet :) 

I staged them in the unfinished basement for now until I get the garage squared away. I apologize for the low quality pictures :unsure: 

TnTZvB.jpg

You may have noticed a couple old machines in that last photo. I also picked up a couple saws to start putting together my new wood shop. A guy about a half hour from me does this for fun, and said he really just does it to rescue these great old machines from heading to the junkyard. Super nice guy and I feel that I will be buying more things from him in the future. First is an already-restored 50's vintage Craftsman 103.24280 upright band saw. This thing is gorgeous. Has new tires on the upper/lower wheels, new blade guides, a very rare rip fence and a rare base stand.

L3bLll.jpg

Second is a 50's Delta Rockwell 34-600 table saw. This thing is also gorgeous IMO. Very nice, runs quiet and smooth. I've already assembled it and used it several times this past week fixing things around the house and it works flawlessly.

ahvp0y.jpg

Lastly, not totally shop related but it's nice to have some wildlife around when I open the garage door. We have a family of about 8 deer that pretty much hang out in my yard all the time, a couple turkeys, half a dozen squirrels, etc. This is getting me back to my rural WV roots a bit which I love.

3XXJqo.jpg

The mustang is getting towed here this coming weekend so I need to get some kind of organization done in the garage this week. Stay tuned!

Congrats Dan!  Great stuff going on there.  It's always a pain to move around like that and to move all the tools and everything into a new shop, but it's a lot of fun, too, getting familiar with and setting up the new areas.  I assume there is a garage door for the basement?  There's some of those great old tools I was just talking about.  Will the Mustang get the whole garage to itself or will it be shared with the wife's DD?  Either way, a lot more room for you there.  

• Moderators

Just read through the whole thread again, from boredom and wanting to copy a few of your purchases.  I'd forgotten about the garage floor discussion... have you decided yet?  Mine took an absolute beating this weekend.  The epoxy is still in tact, but stained with ferric nitrate∙sulfurated potash solution, paint, and ground in metal dust.  I'm pretty sure I will be re-doing the floors in the future.

Congrats on finally being able to move in to the new place.  Also cool new vintage tools added to your collection.

So I guess what you're really trying to tell us is that work will resume on the Mustang shortly!  ;)

Yea there's a few more things to address with the house first then I'll be resuming some work on the car finally :2thumb:

So the green window shades are staying....... RIGHT?

I can only imagine what the deer are going to do when you fire the Mustang up for the first time :lol:

Haha hell no, not even a chance lol. And yea, it will be interesting to say the least.

There should totally be a video of the first time he fires it up and all the wildlife go scrambling like something out of a Bambi movie!!!!! Lol

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

Like this? lol

Congrats Dan!  Great stuff going on there.  It's always a pain to move around like that and to move all the tools and everything into a new shop, but it's a lot of fun, too, getting familiar with and setting up the new areas.  I assume there is a garage door for the basement?  There's some of those great old tools I was just talking about.  Will the Mustang get the whole garage to itself or will it be shared with the wife's DD?  Either way, a lot more room for you there.

Yea it's a TON of work trying to manage all these boxes of tools and such but I'm loving all the possibilities with all the extra space. There's no garage door to the basement, but there's a 6 foot wide staircase down to the basement that isn't very steep so walking a dolly down the steps isn't much of a problem. Believe it or not the table saw and band saw were both hauled home in the back of the scion at the same time lol. The wife's DD will share the garage with the mustang but with 7 feet of extra width it will be awesome compared to the old space. I'll be able to actually * gasp * open the doors on both cars! haha

Congrats man! I love the cabinets! If that guy has anymore Craftsman machines he needs to sell, you know who to call; we'll figure out the logistics later lol.

Just read through the whole thread again, from boredom and wanting to copy a few of your purchases.  I'd forgotten about the garage floor discussion... have you decided yet?  Mine took an absolute beating this weekend.  The epoxy is still in tact, but stained with ferric nitrate∙sulfurated potash solution, paint, and ground in metal dust.  I'm pretty sure I will be re-doing the floors in the future.

I already hit him up and we'll see what he has available. He does really nice work and charges very fair prices because in his words "I really just do this as a hobby, I'm not in it to make a bunch of money...I just want to save these great old machines from the scrap yard."

I haven't decided on the floor yet, the wallet took a serious beating over the last couple weeks so I need to take a break and let things recover a little. Currently I'm torn between epoxy or a porcelain tile. I'd love the porcelain tile, and it doesn't seem to require the extensive prep that epoxy does for proper adhesion. This garage floor is 28 years old and has absorbed a lot of shit from the looks of things.

looks like a happy, peaceful place for you and the wife man congrats

Sure is man, there's only one other house visible when you're on the property, and it's the one you see in that picture with the deer. It's exactly what I was looking for, because I desperately needed some privacy and a break from being surrounded by idiots 24/7 lol.

yayyyyy welcome back dan! must feel great being able to finally move in!

Thanks Bryan, it feels like the end of a marathon, or maybe more like 10 marathons. We started this whole process in March... From doing flooring and oak stairs, paint, etc. on the old house, to let down after let down looking at houses to buy (you know exactly how that is, lol), endlessly cleaning (hard to keep a house clean with 100lbs of fur walking around lol), shuffling our schedules to show our house, dealing with the most difficult seller in the history of crazy old men, moving twice and commuting a ridiculous amount for two weeks... I'm worn out all over again just typing that haha. It was all worth it now though, I love this house and look forward to getting home every night after work, which is a feeling I've always wanted but never had with the old house.

I can see you starting a new thread now.  

Instead of "This Old House"  it'll be titled "This OCD House".  HAHA

I bet a 100lbs of fur walking around really does wonders for your OCD!    :lol:  :wacko:

The current project is doing new counter tops in the kitchen and installing some new stainless appliances. We bought an over the oven microwave, but didn't want it over the oven because we are going to do a vent hood instead. So the kitchen has a "desk" which I guess was a popular thing back in the late 80s when this house was built. We turned it into somewhat of a coffee/breakfast bar. Anyway, my OCD reared its head during mounting the microwave in place of some shelves in the middle of the upper cabinets. The instructions for mounting the microwave stated that the minimum depth of the cabinets must be 12", which we had, but it could be mounted up to 14" deep to completely cover the sides... so as you would guess, I tore out all the cabinets, built a 2x4 framework behind them with a false wall to fill in the space in the "desk" cutout, then mounted all the cabinets to the frame... just to gain 2" of depth and cover the sides of the microwave housing lol. But... I don't regret one bit of it. :)

Hard to tell looking at the thread on my phone, but the garage door doesn't look insulated?  That'd be step one for me.  After spending years freezing in the garage working in the late fall and winter and then upgrading to a heavily insulated garage, with an insulated doors and a big heater, I can't go back.

Looks really nice!  Looking forward to seeing how you organize everything!

Hard to tell looking at the thread on my phone, but the garage door doesn't look insulated?  That'd be step one for me.  After spending years freezing in the garage working in the late fall and winter and then upgrading to a heavily insulated garage, with an insulated doors and a big heater, I can't go back.

Looks really nice!  Looking forward to seeing how you organize everything!

Initially I thought the same thing and planned to insulate it, but on closing day I was killing some time while I had a termite treatment done (the house had no evidence of past treatments so I just went ahead and did it to be safe) and checked out the door. It's actually about 1.5-1.75" thick solid wood, it's a beast. It's odd that it looks like an uninsulated metal door, I've never seen one like it. I think if I just do some new seals all around it will be plenty for keeping the cold out. I'm going to run a dedicated circuit with a 220 line from the breaker box to the garage for a ceiling/corner mounted heater at some point, we'll just have to see when the finances allow it lol.

I have some big plans for this garage. The last garage was nice enough, but everything I did was done with reservation because anything permanent had to be left behind, and any extra work that didn't add value to the house was kind of pointless. But this time around it's all for me, so I'm going to go all out on anything and everything I do. I'm hoping to get the garage painted on Friday before the mustang shows up on Saturday morning. Much easier and less stressful to do it now before I have it sitting in the way of everything.

where are the house pictures man?!  its a little disappointing to hear about this OCD cabinet work but not to see it in your usual glory.

definitely have to make a trip out there soon to see the house and lend a hand.  perhaps november sometime?

where are the house pictures man?!  its a little disappointing to hear about this OCD cabinet work but not to see it in your usual glory.

definitely have to make a trip out there soon to see the house and lend a hand.  perhaps november sometime?

I was going to post them but Imageshack's site is fubared and I can't upload any pictures right now. It said they should be up and running within 24 hours though. I didn't get to stop and take pictures the way I usually do because Andrea was helping and the eye roll factor would have been high lol, but I do have a few.

Congrats!! Glad everything worked out on getting the house you guys wanted!.. Hopefully the stress levels are going down exponentially, moving has got to be one of the single worst things to have to do.  I'll be eagerly awaiting for updates for both the garage and car!

Forgot to ask the all important question - how are the neighbors?

Don't know yet, haven't met any lol. Our house is pretty secluded due to trees and vegetation, and we're a good distance from other houses so I haven't even seen any of them yet lol. And that is exactly how I wanted it lol.

Congrats on the move may the fun commence.

Yup, I've sat down and relaxed a total of about 1 hour since we moved in lol. I'm actually enjoying it though.

Congrats!! Glad everything worked out on getting the house you guys wanted!.. Hopefully the stress levels are going down exponentially, moving has got to be one of the single worst things to have to do.  I'll be eagerly awaiting for updates for both the garage and car!

Yep I can't wait to get back on the mustang!

once you get all set up i will take a trip out and we will get old red back on the road

Haha I'll let you know.

And side note, imageshack is still royally fucked. They had some major database malfunction. I can't log in, can't reset my password, a ton of images are missing from my threads, etc. I looked around online and EVERYONE is having the same issues. If the images are lost, I doubt I'll ever have the time to fix them all in this thread and my mustang build thread. Super sad face. They're apparently working on it and say full restoration within another 48 hrs but I can't help but worry.