95riosnake

OCDFabworks Shop Projects: Anything Worth Doing is Worth Overdoing

Bringing this thread back to life!  So, whats new?   B-)

Nothing recently, I've been working on the mustang and we've been getting the house ready to put on the market. Hopefully before too long I'll be updating this thread with a new shop space, then there will be plenty of progress to show!

dan I have to say you inspire both Sean and myself. we have  been using an old right angle Milwaukee drill of my grandfathers and the cooling fan broke and it over heated. at first I said screw it. then I wrote down the model number and im looking for parts :)

dan I have to say you inspire both Sean and myself. we have  been using an old right angle Milwaukee drill of my grandfathers and the cooling fan broke and it over heated. at first I said screw it. then I wrote down the model number and im looking for parts :)

Awesome! I guarantee that Milwaukee will serve you better than anything you'd go grab at HD or Lowes new right now (short of top of the line stuff). Get that thing the transplant it needs and use it for another decade or so :2thumb:

Awesome! I guarantee that Milwaukee will serve you better than anything you'd go grab at HD or Lowes new right now (short of top of the line stuff). Get that thing the transplant it needs and use it for another decade or so :2thumb:

Saw update in the powder coating oven thread.  pretty cool!  

Good luck with the house work!  Any updates on the car?  

Saw update in the powder coating oven thread.  pretty cool!  

Good luck with the house work!  Any updates on the car?  

Yea a little progress, check out my build thread. K member is in, some more wiring done, etc. etc. Still feels like I'll never finish it but oh well lol.

if the vert doesn't sell by carlisle you can drive that around Dan.

Maybe driving a mustang again will light a fire under my ass to get the jack stand queen done quicker lol.

Maybe driving a mustang again will light a fire under my ass to get the jack stand queen done quicker lol.

The vert is going to make you want to sell yours and buy it instead, way nicer of a machine anyways   .. ;)

The vert is going to make you want to sell yours and buy it instead, way nicer of a machine anyways   .. ;)

i'll even cut him a good friend discount and throw in a ham sammich.

i'll even cut him a good friend discount and throw in a ham sammich.

Haha, I need another mustang like I need a hole in the head lol.

• Moderators

I'm wondering if you have seen this already or not. http://www.12-gaugegarage.com

Your work is awesome as always. It took me a while to read this start to finish.

Dan and I have had numerous conversations about Jack's garage.  Believe me, he's seen it.  I'd be surprised if he couldn't describe it to you in the minutest of detail.

I'm wondering if you have seen this already or not. http://www.12-gaugegarage.com

Your work is awesome as always. It took me a while to read this start to finish.

Someday I hope to have something like that setup. It would be such a nice place to work!

Dan and I have had numerous conversations about Jack's garage.  Believe me, he's seen it.  I'd be surprised if he couldn't describe it to you in the minutest of detail.

Yea I've studied his space many times and have saved just about every picture I've ever seen of it. When the time comes and we're in our next house, I'm strongly considering the tile floor, although I'm not entirely sure how welding-friendly it would be.

I figured.

So when's the lift going in?

No lift in my current garage for sure, too low of a ceiling height and we won't be staying here much longer. I've been working like a dog re-staining the front porch, fixing dog damage to trim and walls, and installing hardwood flooring to replace carpet due to some eyesores caused by the hacks that work for Stanley Steemer. Hoping to have our house on the market within the next 2 weeks at most. I can't wait to move all my stuff into a new space and really build it out exactly how I want it. Jack's fold-down work bench idea is definitely one that will make an appearance.

• Moderators

Yea I've studied his space many times and have saved just about every picture I've ever seen of it. When the time comes and we're in our next house, I'm strongly considering the tile floor, although I'm not entirely sure how welding-friendly it would be.

He and several other people weld on the tile and it seems to hold up fine.  I would consider tiling my floor too if it weren't already painted and I didn't detest tile work.  His garage is a work of art when it comes to using every square inch.

Jack's fold-down work bench idea is definitely one that will make an appearance.

Probably going to use this myself the length of the back bay in my garage!

I know if I had the option to choose the flooring I'd want smooth epoxied concrete. Wheeling around a floor jack, engine crane/stand, carts, etc and placing jack stands on a surface that's anything but smooth is kind of aggravating. Easier clean up especially with any fluid spills as well when there aren't cracks and crevices. I'd think the grout would get stained after a while too.

I know if I had the option to choose the flooring I'd want smooth epoxied concrete. Wheeling around a floor jack, engine crane/stand, carts, etc and placing jack stands on a surface that's anything but smooth is kind of aggravating. Easier clean up especially with any fluid spills as well when there aren't cracks and crevices. I'd think the grout would get stained after a while too.

This hadn't occurred to me... tiles are out lol. Kind of like when you're at the grocery store pushing a cart on the tiled areas... makes me grit my teeth... I don't like Race Deck so epoxy it is.

• Moderators

This hadn't occurred to me... tiles are out lol. Kind of like when you're at the grocery store pushing a cart on the tiled areas... makes me grit my teeth... I don't like Race Deck so epoxy it is.

I've got the epoxy; no complaints... but Jack doesn't seem to have issue with his tile and stains or moving stuff.  Granted, he has a lift in there.

With the right tile and a higher floated grout you would never even notice any rough rolling issues. Unless your directly welding with the metal on top of the tile you'd never hurt it, remember, tile is fired in extremely hot ovens. Use a dark grout and seal it.

Or you could always do stained concrete. That's what I'd like to do in a nice big garage.

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

I've definitely seen some nice stained concrete floors, that's an option too :2thumb:

First thing is to find and buy the new house with the new garage and start building out the new OCDFab world headquarters lol.

• Moderators

Should have a box going out this week to the OCDFab World HQ... won't fit in my car, so I need the wifey to help me lol.

yeah i can't see tile being nice unless you have a lift.  if you ever have to jack up something and place the jack in a certain spot that is right on the bevel to the grout line it's going to move. and then getting stuck in one of those ridges while on a creeper... it may look nice but i would never do it.  epoxy the thing nice and good and call it done.

Should have a box going out this week to the OCDFab World HQ... won't fit in my car, so I need the wifey to help me lol.

i'm assuming said box contains a 1/4 panel? :D

• Moderators

Awesome!

i'm assuming said box contains a 1/4 panel? :D

Yup.  Had to McGuyver the shit out of a box... and by the time I did, it won't fit in my car anymore.  Wife has been leaving the house at 5-530am this week and not getting home until after 8pm, so getting to the post office or UPS is a bit of an issue.  Might be Saturday morning before I get it out.

I know a guy that tiled his floor with checkboard years ago and hasn't had any issues with it.  Those tiles are pretty tough but I would probably go the epoxy rout as long as there isn't a bunch of oil on the floor that could cause problems.

• Moderators

I'll have to find out what my builder used on the garage floor.  There are a couple of mystery stains, but for the most part it's indestructible.  I've had hot tires, gasoline, motor oil, transmission fluid, coolant, brake fluid, blood, sweat, and tears on the floor and it's still there.  My friend's garage where we painted supposedly the best garage floor paint ever (xylene based so I was high as a motherfucking kite when we got done too)... and it peeled up the first time we dumped gasoline on the floor.

People will epoxy floors without properly prepping them and they will come back up. I helped my buddy do his 5 years ago and we actually rented the machine to grind the whole surface down and then did a thorough acid scrub. Between working on his hummer, his motorcycles, his work truck and other toys it still cleans up like new. No peeling or staining anywhere.

Like with most things, the prep is everything

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

this exactly.  i did an epoxy floor at the hardware store i worked at probably 13-15 years ago and it's still holding up rather well with constant traffic.  On the other hand, my father-in-law did his garage and just pressure washed it before applying the paint and it peeled the first time he pulled in with a car and turned his tires.  it's all about the prep and the acid bath. 

all we did was acid scrub on our photo booth floor, scrubbed like hell with brushes. floor was dirty but had never been prepped with anything or had oil on it.  Just over a year later with about 1000+ cars pulling in and out and ripping the tires left and right on it, its still solid.  

9AA5BB13-3D2B-414B-BA88-9DFF1EAF5922_zps

This was a fun Sunday morning read! A.) that 12 gauge garage is sick B.) the smell of ground concrete is terrible. God awful, I can actually taste / smell it still as I sit here.

Dropped by here last night to drool a bit and maybe pick up a thing or two.  Thumbed through the whole thread again.  What kind of clamps and vises do you like to use for your drill presses?  I ordered 2 drill press vise grips yesterday and something called a Jorgensen drill press table screw clamp that seems nice.  The table on my drill press has t-slots and no thru holes though so I think I'll have to cut the mounting studs down and get some t-slot nuts.

I don't know if I should look for a regular drill press vise or a cross slide vise.  I think I'd like to be able to just turn some knobs and move the work piece around a little bit, but I don't know if they're really worth it.  I think I'd also like to get some 1-2-3 blocks, v-blocks, and I also saw a clamping kit for t-slots that look real handy.  Do you have or use any of those things?  

Dropped by here last night to drool a bit and maybe pick up a thing or two.  Thumbed through the whole thread again.  What kind of clamps and vises do you like to use for your drill presses?  I ordered 2 drill press vise grips yesterday and something called a Jorgensen drill press table screw clamp that seems nice.  The table on my drill press has t-slots and no thru holes though so I think I'll have to cut the mounting studs down and get some t-slot nuts.

I don't know if I should look for a regular drill press vise or a cross slide vise.  I think I'd like to be able to just turn some knobs and move the work piece around a little bit, but I don't know if they're really worth it.  I think I'd also like to get some 1-2-3 blocks, v-blocks, and I also saw a clamping kit for t-slots that look real handy.  Do you have or use any of those things?  

DAMN YOU, I got all excited because I thought we had something new to ohh and ahh over.  

I have a couple drill press vises, including the bonus Columbian that came with the bench top Walker Turner drill press which is my preferred vise because of vintageness. I like them the most for general drilling, like something that doesn't need to be clamped down ridiculously tight. I just put the piece in the vise then clamp the vise in the correct position before drilling. The drill press vise grips that slip down into the slots of the table are great also, and provide a bit stronger hold, but sometimes don't work on some items that the vises would. I have a set of 1-2-3 blocks but haven't yet needed them. My dad actually gave them to me because he ordered a bunch from Enco. I've actually looked at a cross slide vise but like you said, I start to wonder if I should just wait and get a mill. One nice thing about the cross slide is that you can clamp the vise down first, then position the piece with the cross slide adjustments. Normally you have to play around with getting the piece and vise in the correct position before clamping the vise down.

I actually found a Southbend vertical mill (a BIG one) on CL locally for $1100... and of course the timing couldn't be worse lol.

DAMN YOU, I got all excited because I thought we had something new to ohh and ahh over.  

Haha don't worry Steve, work will begin in the new place before too long!

I got a craftsman press last year after wanting one for some time now for my metal work.  I have the clamp like dan said and its good for 3/4 of what I need but I have been eyeing a vise for it and even better yet one of the ones with the cranks on the side more like a milling machine.  I made this jig up to allow me to drill the holes for my new brake light so I could get them spaced evenly and straight and was happy with how it worked.  I know the plexi squares are messy because of the saw I had to use to cut them but I was using the plexi's 1/8" thickness as my guide not the size I cut them into.  First time I have done something like this and it worked really well.

IMG_20150824_152052740_HDR.jpg