9838stang

Another control arm thread

I am looking to upgrade from my stock rear control arms. I have been looking and looking and looking, and reading articles left and right and still am confused. My goal with the car is to have a stiffer rear end with minimal to no rear suspension noise coming from the rear control arms. My car has an 8.8 our of a 94 or 95 gt it has about 45k miles to date and the control arms are factory and have approx. 165k.

The control arms im looking at are the

J&M rear lca with spherical bushings
http://www.hotpart.com/1979-1998-1999-2004-mustang-rear-lower-control-arms-for-street-race/

UPR lca and uca
http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-chrome-moly-solid-lower-control-arms-urethane-bushing.html
http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-chrome-moly-double-adjustable-upper-control-arm-urethane-bushing.html

or these
http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-chrome-moly-rear-control-arm-suspension-kit.html

MM
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/Heavy-Duty-Mustang-Rear-Lower-Control-Arms-1979-1998-P498.aspx

If i got with mm lca idk if ineed uca or even which to go with same goes for J&M

Basically looking a stiffer, rear end feel, and get a little bit more traction in the rear, and to get rid of my quad shocks

By going with the control arms with spherical ends, you will be sacrificing some big of comfort due to the lack of a bushing between the control arm and body/rear end. MM undoubtedly is going to be to notch construction but you'll pay more for it. I can't speak of j&m but I haven't heard anything bad. And upr is well upr. See far as uppers go if get at least something that is single adjustable, maybe even a double adjustable so you can adjust pinion angle while they're on your car still

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

If minimal suspension noise is your goal, spherical bushings on both ends are not what you want. Of the options you gave, I'd choose the MM arms, they're the best of both worlds with a urethane bushing on one end and a spherical on the other.

Ah, I guess I didn't look at the first link well enough. Didn't notice the J&M arms had poly on one end and spherical on the other. I'd go with the J&M or MM then. Poly on both ends is better than stock rubber bushings, but poly really isn't very stiff. I'm not a huge fan of the UPR stuff.

Well i went with the J&M lcas for now. looking at which uca to buy now. i still dont know if i should get adjustable uppers or just get solid ones. i will also be getting axle bushings too for the uppers.... dunno which
http://www.americanmuscle.com/jm-spherical-lca-7998.html

Do yourself the favor and get adjustable uppers. That way you can nail down your pinion angle and never have to worry about blowing out ujoints or drive line vibrations

I have the hpm megabite Jr's. They have the heim joint on the body side. It makes a rougher ride, and also will tear up your torque boxes if you don't have them reinforced.

Agreed!  good choice on the lowers.

Someone mentioned this, but stay away from spherical if this car is a driver.  

Question:  Is the car lowered?  If not, you won't need adjustable to adjust pinion angle.  just go with a solid set.

I scored a set of BBK Gripp uppers for like 50$ used, shipped  I've run them for over 100k miles and they are absolutely fine still.  My lowers are hotchkins non adjustable with the urethane bushings on both sides.  8.8 housing bushings are MM.

One last point to make.  When you do the upper control arms, you will ABSOLUTELY need to replace the 8.8 housing bushings if that's not been done already.   by now they are shot with 165k on the clock if still stock.  Even if they're not shot, replace them with some MM or similar urethane bushings.  it is necessary, just do it if they aren't urethane already.  

MM makes a neat tool to press them out and in.  I've also seen some people use the drill bit method - I can dig up that video if you want… PM me.

Good choice. What uppers did you go with?

I have not bought my uppers yet. Still waiting on money lol... Income tax is coming.

Question:  Is the car lowered?  If not, you won't need adjustable to adjust pinion angle.  just go with a solid set.

I scored a set of BBK Gripp uppers for like 50$ used, shipped  I've run them for over 100k miles and they are absolutely fine still.  My lowers are hotchkins non adjustable with the urethane bushings on both sides.  8.8 housing bushings are MM.

One last point to make.  When you do the upper control arms, you will ABSOLUTELY need to replace the 8.8 housing bushings if that's not been done already.   by now they are shot with 165k on the clock if still stock.  Even if they're not shot, replace them with some MM or similar urethane bushings.  it is necessary, just do it if they aren't urethane already.  

MM makes a neat tool to press them out and in.  I've also seen some people use the drill bit method - I can dig up that video if you want… PM me.

The car is lowered by about 1.75" and it is somewhat of a daily driver. I have my eye on a couple of lower control arms. But right now I am waiting for my tax return. A friend of mine has some poly 8.8 axle bushings I might pick those up. Still in the packaging.

those 8.8 poly bushings get to be pretty important when you change the uppers and lowers.  Glad you are looking into that!  

I remember using some UMI Performance double adjustable control arms (I had the lowers, and the Baseline Suspension street launch kit for the uppers).  I launched on them countless times with no issue.  they were well made.  Not sure if the prices are any good, but the web site is still up:  http://umiperformance.com

I know they make some uppers too.  

Good luck!

one more thing.  double adjustable may be more expensive, but it beats taking the control arm out to make an adjustment!  

• Moderators

I have the MM tool, but the bushings were melted to the axle housing so I had to use the drill method.  I've been reading a lot about the poly bushings causing binding.  Is this really the case; should I be looking for spherical bushings instead?

I have the MM tool, but the bushings were melted to the axle housing so I had to use the drill method.  I've been reading a lot about the poly bushings causing binding.  Is this really the case; should I be looking for spherical bushings instead?

binding can be caused by a sloppy / rushed install.  for the rear upper and lower control arms, you want to grease just about everything.  that's why there are zerk fittings on everything.  for example:  the face of the poly bushings, and the inside face of mounting points.  I also grease the bolt so that it doesn't rust fast to the sleeve.  also grease the faces of the 8.8 housing bushings.   the rear suspension was meant to move!  

the other critical install step some people miss is to use a torque wrench and set the torque correctly.  If you over torque, they will bind.  I know some guys that race and they want the suspension as loose as possible - obviously this is not recommended for the street.  I'm pretty sure we use 60 ftlbs for the control arm bolts as well as the shock mount bolt.  

front lower control arms are a different story.  the sleeve for the bushings actually have 'teeth'.  That was meant to be torqued while under the full weight of the car, at ride height.  we put the front on ramps (no jack / jackstands) and jack the rear so its level.  then torque it down.  

Instead of starting another thread I figured I'd post in here first:

Anybody with ADJUSTABLE LCAs have a problem with the control arms rubbing the rear sway bar severely? I have the J&Ms. I had to notch the stock sway bar a pretty good amount. Worried it might snap at some point.

Instead of starting another thread I figured I'd post in here first:

Anybody with ADJUSTABLE LCAs have a problem with the control arms rubbing the rear sway bar severely? I have the J&Ms. I had to notch the stock sway bar a pretty good amount. Worried it might snap at some point.

Adjustable meaning spring perch adjustable or length?

Adjustable meaning spring perch adjustable or length?

Spring perch sir, they are the lowers. I have them maxed out to drop the rear end closer to the front. So the threaded stud that protrudes from the control is sticking down about 1 1/4" and rubs on the rear sway bar. I notched it badly and it still rubs.

Why not cut the bottom of the thread that sticks through?

yea if you have it bottomed out it's not like your gonna need it, unless u decide to go off-roading lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you do just enough to clear the sway bar there should still be plenty of there for you to fit a good sized slick.

Hmm that's odd, can't really recall my perch threads coming anywhere close to the sway bar. Need to look at this.

Do you have the perch threaded upwards (vertically)? For example is the spring perch sitting against the control arm itself or is it above? (idk if that even makes sense). So when the spring perch is lowered closer to the control arm itself is the car being lowered or raised? Something tells my I had a brain fart when putting them in and adjusting them. I'll go snap a picture right now.

If you do just enough to clear the sway bar there should still be plenty of there for you to fit a good sized slick.

That is true. I'll just have to turn the threaded piece with vice grips.

@AZSN95SNAKE , are they the MM control arms?  If so I have the same ones and mine are basically bottomed out also.  I'll be in the garage after work today so I'll be sure to look and see where my sway bar is in relation to the perch bolt.

@AZSN95SNAKE , are they the MM control arms?  If so I have the same ones and mine are basically bottomed out also.  I'll be in the garage after work today so I'll be sure to look and see where my sway bar is in relation to the perch bolt.

No they are the J&M weight jackers. Is the it the same type of mechanism to lift and lower on the MM arms? Yeah please let me know! Also, if I raise the spring perch higher up it should lift the ride height right? not lower it.

What's this measure?  Centerline of the rearward bolt and the centerline of the perch bolt.

14876010263_a08124de44_b.jpg

About 4.25-4.50" from center of that bolt to center of the threaded shaft. Measured it while the car was on the ground so not much room haha. Wow yours clears completely. Not sure if the Cobra sway bar is thicker, but I think it is so that may be why.