fry

The Tangerine Dream

Makes much more sense now. I wasn't sure if you had to change them, but yeah the car needs a tune for sure! haha Thanks everyone! I've been very aggravated but you get what you pay for and honestly it was all just simple mistakes. No big deal, it hasn't cost me anything extra yet thank God lol.

No problem. If you need a tune, I highly recommend Luis @ Ortiz Performance. Currently he's offering tunes for $75 if you have an SCT programmer already. His tunes are top notch and will make your tangerine dream run just like a ..... dream ;)

8462414544_e45193edf9_z.jpg

8462414596_621dc9cae6_z.jpg

I forgot I had a couple pictures on my phone from when I was changing the valve seals out. Everything is a huge mess in those pictures lol.

8471725421_fac57c85d9_z.jpg

8472807312_48e9d75b67_z.jpg

8471722465_f391716cf5_z.jpg

(Yes, there's a rag taped to my door, it was getting scratched when it was on the lift.)

Got the new rack and pinion in. All that's left is putting new oil in it and I'll be back to driving it!

Whoot whoot! Did you just go with an oem replacement rack and pinion? Must feel good to almost be done!!

Yup, I bought a new one a year ago. Then when they swapped the engine they ran the lines wrong and it tore it up so I took it back and they warrantied it so I got the same one.

I worked on the tangerine thing today. I got the half valve spring retainer clip thing out the oil pan lol. I put the CAI back on. Then re did all the vacuum lines because I have managed to crush every one of them on the car. Started him and it started back firing. Checked everything. One of the guys in my group reset the spark plug gaps when we put them back in the car and he set them to everything BUT .045 or whatever the spec is. The night class was diagnosing it when I left so hopefully it's running tomorrow cause if it aint I'm gonna be walkin home tomorrow.

8488161628_75efd5276d_c.jpg

8488161712_88472a05e7_c.jpg

8487069549_a7da28cf05_c.jpg

8487069645_203a385121_c.jpg

Never noticed your valve (cam) covers before, I've never seen anyone with those... Really diggin them, nice choice! Sucks to hear about the backfiring, are you saying the guy not only didn't gap the plugs correctly but also gapped them all differently? Wow...

Never noticed your valve (cam) covers before, I've never seen anyone with those... Really diggin them, nice choice! Sucks to hear about the backfiring, are you saying the guy not only didn't gap the plugs correctly but also gapped them all differently? Wow...

the valve covers are new actually. totally worth every penny! i want the matching Plenum lol. and yeah every spark plug was set different.

How do you f*** up spark plug gaps? lol

haha i reckon i should've done it myself but i was thinking it was impossible to mess up too. the night class fixed the spark plugs, its still misfiring. i think i know what the problem is though.

liz did you fix the broken red vac. lines? if so what did you replace them with? did it make you idle weird with those broke? i just broke mine too...just wonder how & if ya fixed it yet.

haha i reckon i should've done it myself but i was thinking it was impossible to mess up too. the night class fixed the spark plugs, its still misfiring. i think i know what the problem is though.

It's bad when you're in a school like that, and you can't even trust the guys to do spark plugs...

liz did you fix the broken red vac. lines? if so what did you replace them with? did it make you idle weird with those broke? i just broke mine too...just wonder how & if ya fixed it yet.

i never cranked it with the broke vac lines but i imagine that would give you a wonky idle. i got a spool of rubber vacuum line and plastic connectors and redid all the red lines.

I worked on the tangerine thing today. I got the half valve spring retainer clip thing out the oil pan lol. I put the CAI back on. Then re did all the vacuum lines because I have managed to crush every one of them on the car. Started him and it started back firing. Checked everything. One of the guys in my group reset the spark plug gaps when we put them back in the car and he set them to everything BUT .045 or whatever the spec is. The night class was diagnosing it when I left so hopefully it's running tomorrow cause if it aint I'm gonna be walkin home tomorrow.

8488161628_75efd5276d_c.jpg

8488161712_88472a05e7_c.jpg

8487069549_a7da28cf05_c.jpg

8487069645_203a385121_c.jpg

Those valve covers looks amazing!

I really like subjecting yall to an obsessive amount of pictures of my car. <3

8491258004_2d59d7bffe_c.jpg

8491252918_384134f77d_c.jpg

8490149993_1b46af05ed_c.jpg

8490146803_b1c5a64871_c.jpg

OK, so I changed the plugs and injectors out. Still misfired. My teacher was getting ready to make me pull the valve cover off and check the followers. After doing a compression test and seeing it was fine, something just popped in my head out of nowhere. The connector on one of the coil packs had been broken since I got the car and surprisingly enough its not a common part sold at most stores. I decided to try and tape it up with electrical tape like two weeks ago to keep the plug from coming out. I hadn't cranked the car since I did this. Well sure enough that was it. I'm so dumb. :nonchalance: At least I realized it. So took the plug apart and attached the wires then filled the plug with RTV to keep the wires from coming out. I will replace it when I find one.

8490147393_7e0c97379f_c.jpg

Get on my level! haha

The car is seriously running like a CHAMP! It's a whole new car from the one I got back after the engine rebuild. It's fast, loud, powerful. Everything I was expecting and so much more! I did NOT wanna stop driving it today, sadly gas is $4.09 for 93 oct right now. I LOVE my car so fucking much. I'll try to take a video tomorrow!

I really like subjecting yall to an obsessive amount of pictures of my car. <3

8491258004_2d59d7bffe_c.jpg

8491252918_384134f77d_c.jpg

8490149993_1b46af05ed_c.jpg

8490146803_b1c5a64871_c.jpg

OK, so I changed the plugs and injectors out. Still misfired. My teacher was getting ready to make me pull the valve cover off and check the followers. After doing a compression test and seeing it was fine, something just popped in my head out of nowhere. The connector on one of the coil packs had been broken since I got the car and surprisingly enough its not a common part sold at most stores. I decided to try and tape it up with electrical tape like two weeks ago to keep the plug from coming out. I hadn't cranked the car since I did this. Well sure enough that was it. I'm so dumb. :nonchalance: At least I realized it. So took the plug apart and attached the wires then filled the plug with RTV to keep the wires from coming out. I will replace it when I find one.

8490147393_7e0c97379f_c.jpg

Get on my level! haha

The car is seriously running like a CHAMP! It's a whole new car from the one I got back after the engine rebuild. It's fast, loud, powerful. Everything I was expecting and so much more! I did NOT wanna stop driving it today, sadly gas is $4.09 for 93 oct right now. I LOVE my car so fucking much. I'll try to take a video tomorrow!

Your enthusiasm for your car makes me smile...

The only thing that irritates me about this thread is that you are doing a better job at working on your car than I ever will be.. ;)

Keep us updated, I love following your resto/build. :)

thanks y'all! im really happy i got it back! im gonna start working on the a/c, suspension and interior now that the motor and tranny are fixed.

How do you like those DD cobra rims? They were just rolling them out when I hadki my '95 and wanted a set for the rear.

i LOVE them!! they're the best part about the outide of the car right now lol. i bought the deep dish front and rear, idk how it'd look with regular ones on the front and DD on the rear. i got my set from lethal performance, totally worth every penny!

Car went back to burning some oil and smoking, not just at start up though. I'm wondering if it's running rich and that could cause it? It also started cutting off when I come to a stop again. I think it needs a tune, like bad. That's the only thing left we haven't done, I don't know what else it could be! I also got a pulley going out. ): So aggravated with it. Every time I fix everything on it, it goes back to messing up. I don't ever get to enjoy the car for more than a week at a time.

Car went back to burning some oil and smoking, not just at start up though. I'm wondering if it's running rich and that could cause it? It also started cutting off when I come to a stop again. I think it needs a tune, like bad. That's the only thing left we haven't done, I don't know what else it could be! I also got a pulley going out. ): So aggravated with it. Every time I fix everything on it, it goes back to messing up. I don't ever get to enjoy the car for more than a week at a time.

considering you're running aftermarket cams yes, you need a tune ASAP. you're going to keep fouling your plugs if you don't.