fry

The Tangerine Dream

I just wanna make a quick update. I'm officially keeping and fixing my car. But better than that I've decided to give it a purpose. Originally I wanted to build a drag car but I just don't see that as an option for this car anymore. I love driving and autocross school was the most fun I've had in my life. Today I was thinking to myself how much I'd like to learn how to do it and get more into driving. So why not with my car?! I think I'd get more out of it than if I were to try and drag race it. Plus it doesn't matter what it looks like... Also it will be at MW this year on Saturday and Sunday.

Also I'm changing my cars name. Its not the tangerine machine anymore. Its getting upgraded.

I'm gonna go on a hunt for a bumper and lights, but if anything it'll go back factory color. It's replacement for a drag car prospect is the real surprise. But that's gonna take a little longer. Til then I'm just gonna have fun beating the hell out of my car as its always been!! Haha

I was gonna go searching for body panels for the car on the 4th of July. But the night before I drove it to work and on my way home I stopped at a drive thru. I was blocked in and it started overheating. As soon as the car in front of me moved I pulled forward and cut the car off. The radiator over flowed so I went in and paid for my chicken while I waited for it cool off, plus I needed napkins.

I opened the hood and checked everything out to make sure the coolant was in fact coming from the overflow tank, and not a busted hose. I walked to the pig which was a mile and a half and bought two 2.5 gallon jugs of water. I wasn't sure how much had leaked out or how much it holds, but I was not about to walk back a second time. Made the 10 mile (it felt like 10 miles) walk back to my car (up hill, there was a dog chasing me, it was also snowing) carrying the 5 gallons of water (which felt like 20). Turns out it only leaked less than half a gallon. I waited for it to cool off, put the water in, let it run, burped it, etc. Finally I got the car home and it hasn't moved since. After the fiasco, spending money on the body was the last thing I was ready to do.

After I cooled off, about a week later, I started checking the car to see why it over heated. I used a pyrometer to check how hot the thermostat was getting. It never got above 114°. I changed the thermostat out and checked it again. It was opening at the right temp and working properly. The old thermostat was a 180°, I replaced it with the same temp rating. Then I turned the a/c on. I could hear the fan cutting on, but it didn't spin. I started playing with the plug and connector while it was running. Like magic; when I moved it the fan came on. The pin that holds the harness in place is broken so the plug doesn't get a good connection. Fuck. Duct tape will fix that. The last problem is the temp gauge. When I drove the car, prior to it overheating, the temp gauge never got up to the N in normal. The car runs cold because of the thermostat but never that cold. I knew something was off, but it was either drive it to work or don't go to work. When it started overheating the temp gauge did move up, but only to the normal area. Once before when I drove the car it overheated, not bad, due to the fan. I let the car sit for a few weeks after that and the temp gauge needle was at the bottom of the gauge. It had fallen. The next time I drove the car was when it overheated in the drive thru. I'm wondering if the needle went all the way around the gauge? Or if I'm over thinking it and its just broken? Or if there's something else it could be?

I'm gonna replace the gauge cluster. Regardless of whether or not the temp gauge is broken, the speedometer is dead. I'm also thinking about replacing my ghettod up wiring harness with a used one. And maybe changing the fan out as well. The fan has always been a problem. I wanna do an engine bay wire tuck as well, if I decide to change the wiring harness. I've read a couple threads about doing them on the internet, but I think I'm mostly gonna do it my way. I'd appreciate any tips or advice though!

That really blows about the overheating and walking forever for water, I've definitely been there before, although not with my mustang. You gain a whole new appreciation for how far things are when you're walking lol.

You should be able to pick up a new cluster on eBay pretty cheap, same with a harness. I'm sure that @Det_Riot and @95opal can share some wisdom about wire tucking. I've only done a mild tuck on mine, I have yet to go full blown on that.

I'll have some more advice in the coming weeks. But what I can tell you for sure is to make your own wiring diagram whenever you cut wires! Donovan had these little letter/number labels that saved my life!

That really blows about the overheating and walking forever for water, I've definitely been there before, although not with my mustang. You gain a whole new appreciation for how far things are when you're walking lol.

You should be able to pick up a new cluster on eBay pretty cheap, same with a harness. I'm sure that @Det_Riot and @95opal can share some wisdom about wire tucking. I've only done a mild tuck on mine, I have yet to go full blown on that.

Thanks! And definitely can appreciate how far a short distance can be. I'm gonna check eBay and quarter horse performance. I've changed it out in an sn95 cobra before, its fairly simple. The wire tuck will just make it a bit more complicated.

@fry what year cluster do you need. I have IC's coming out my...shed

The car is a 96. Right now it has a 98 cluster out of a cobra in it.

WELL SHOOT. I only have 1 98 cluster and I need that one. I have tons of gt clusters though. I think most of them at 302 clusters.

That's OK, thanks anyway! I'll keep checking ebay and QHP.

Not sure what years you're looking for or what a fair price is for a cluster, but here's a couple links to a cobra and GT being parted out.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/modular-engine-parts/1781617-parting-out-97-cobra-convertible-ohio.html

http://forums.corral.net/forums/interior-parts/1608202-98-gt-partout.html

it reminds me of a pumpkin with the green and orange :)

The great pumpkin is one of its many nicknames lol.

i still dont believe you that this is your car. Ugh, people these days!

I never told y'all the story of how I got it. One day I wrecked my red 96 gt, so I left the car under the bridge and started walking. I walked for 18 days when something brought me to a halt. Low and behold, a great orange mustang. Bathed in glory only available in 1996, this car was a dream come true. The car was sitting pretty, high on top of an old building. I walked to the nearest gas station and asked the lovely young gas station attendant where the hell I was. "You're in Alafuckinbama" she replied in a raspy, crotchy accent. I thought of inquiring information on the majestic orange mustang from this delicate flower but she began hacking up flime, flum? Whatever. I walked to a diner down the road, where I sat down and ate a piece of pie. While sitting there enjoying this culinary master piece of pie, a strange Russian man sat down at my table. He stared at me for a minute, said "stay away from the mustang", then he took what was left of my pie and walked out the diner.

I'll continue this amazing story later...

I never told y'all the story of how I got it. One day I wrecked my red 96 gt, so I left the car under the bridge and started walking. I walked for 18 days when something brought me to a halt. Low and behold, a great orange mustang. Bathed in glory only available in 1996, this car was a dream come true. The car was sitting pretty high on top of an old building. I walked to the nearest gas station and asked the lovely young gas station attendant where the hell I was. "You're Alafuckinbama" she replied in a raspy, crotchy accent. I thought of inquiring information on the majestic orange mustang from this delicate flower but she began hacking up flime, flum? Whatever, I walked to a diner down the road. I sat down and ate a piece of pie. While sitting there enjoying this culinary master piece of pie, a strange Russian man sat down at my table. He stared at me for a minute, said "stay away from the mustang", then he took my pie and walked out the diner.

I'll continue this amazing story later...

1604737_10151793469131841_569507218_n_zp

LOL

I don't know why y'all think it's so funny. This is the honest to goodness, true story of how I got my mustang. Full of plot holes and lies.

Anyway, let me get on with my story.

After the random Russian guy left, I sat at my lonely diner table. Staring into the spot where my delicious pie had once sat, staring into my soul. Completely lost in thought, reevaluating my entire life. Like a shot from a gun, I was brought back to reality by the loud bang of the waitress slamming my check down on the table. I ignored her efforts to collect payment and began asking her questions about the mustang on top of building. She stood there looking down at me, all 5ft of her, chewing her gum and rolling her eyes. If there was ever a stereotype for a career waitress, she could've chewed that stereotype up and spit her out. My attempt to collect information fell on bitch ears as the oh so lovely waitress walked away after rolling her eyes one final time.

I wandered around the town aimlessly for a while. It was a very small town. It wasn't a bad town, just dirty and old. I think the best way to describe it is old. Its like everyone there agreed that 1967 was the best year ever, and just kept things that way. I suppose that's why this mustang stood out so much, why it captivated me. I needed to find the owner. I needed to buy it. I HAD to. It was like a hot burning, fire in me that had to have that mustang. Or it was the pie.

I'm still upset that he took your pie

Me too!

Continuing with my story; I decided the best place to find information on the mustang was to go back to the source. I was on my way back to the building where the car was, when a small boy came running up to me. He was probably 10 years old, or maybe 15 Idk I'm a terrible judge of age and time. "Miss, miss! Come quick, an alien is attacking my sister!". Yes! I knew there were aliens in Alafuckingbama! I couldn't contain my excitement! And, of course, concern for this kid's gf. Whatever. He led me to a field, a mile out of the dusty town. And I see the little girl rolling in the tall wheat, laughing and giggling. I was pissed at this point cause I saw no little green man, but still followed the boy. We got to the little girl and it became clear I was not able to understand this foreign language that Alafuckingbama people speak. She wasn't being attacked by an alien, it was a penguin poking her sides with his little wings. I picked the friendly little bird up, while Hansel helped Gretel off the ground. They told me they didn't know what it was (maybe he did say alien) but that a bunch of animals had recently escaped from the zoo in the city. They followed up with questions about how to cook my new little friend so I thought it'd be best if I took him with me.

Why do I feel like at the end of this, we'll be shown how the story actually contained the lyrics of Never Gonna Give You Up by Rick Astley?

I know it won't happen, but the internet has made me gun shy lol.