Det_Riot

Det_Riot's Sexual Teal Whale Cannon Resurrection

would depend on the vert, but not likely i dont really want another one but you can pm me details

im more the less looking for a turn key, clean car, hell, at this point id take a car with a rod knock as long as the price was right and it was clean as hell otherwise. its easy to care for these idk how some got so bad but everytime i look i get disappointed. leaning towards a new gen because in all these years i havent found export tails, or svo skirts/borla cans, both of which are in my vision. i have both for a new edge right now brand new. 

going to florida next month hopefully ill have some time to take a look at a couple down that way. im flying in, but for the right car id just off my ticket and drive. 

In a bit of a random spur of the moment curiosity, I started to dig into the motor last night to see what's up. after talking to a few different buddy's we thought we came up with a solid theory that something valvetrain related popped. Either rocker backed off, valve spring broke, something along those lines. This thought that it may not be too serious gave me a little glimmer of hope.

Well after about an hour of disassembly, I can confidently say; we have to go deeper. 

All rockers and valve springs looked to be in good working condition, distributor gear didn't look like it was getting chipped up. I'll be pulling the intake manifold and then rolling the motor over to see if theres any visual binding issues to pinpoint a problem.

Want to be 2016 Broken Motor Club member #002?  I can put your membership badge in the mail.  I've already got mine.

Sorry to hear it, man.  I feel your pain.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Tabres said:

Want to be 2016 Broken Motor Club member #002?  I can put your membership badge in the mail.  I've already got mine.

Well shit than that makes me #003

7 hours ago, Tabres said:

Yes please do, i'll wear it with distain and guilt as MMFF just released my feature today hahha

On 3/5/2016 at 7:54 PM, Det_Riot said:

Yes please do, i'll wear it with distain and guilt as MMFF just released my feature today hahha

I saw that posted on their facebook page this weekend.  It was a good article.  The pictures turned out great!

Lol well for those of you that haven't seen on FB, I discovered the source of my problem. 

I noticed this as I was taking the rockers off:

IMG_20160306_150342281.thumb.jpg.1ae5f29

Which was then quickly followed when I took the head off to this:

IMG_20160306_150428799.thumb.jpg.a4da225

This:

IMG_20160306_152344787.thumb.jpg.30902b9

And finally, this:

IMG_20160306_152043723.thumb.jpg.9fabdc5

It looks to me that somehow that valve dropped, met the piston a couple times, bent, and lodged itself in the head. Once the valve was lodged, the rocker continued to smoke the top of the valvespring and keeper and tore that up. As far as what lead to what, I'm not entirely sure.

Not too bad, honestly.  You could probably get away with not even replacing the piston.  I would think that would smooth out fine.  I've seen people run stuff way worse than that. 

I'd be inclined to throw a new valve and rocker in it and let it rip.

Glad you found your problem and it's not totally catastrophic.  I'd be pretty relieved if I were you.

I agree, It is definitely much less catastrophic than I assumed it was going to be. At this point though, I think the responsible thing to do would be to have the bottom end gone through and new piston rings put in along with valve seals all the way around. The car always smoked from the first start up and I know that bugged the shit out of me. Regardless of what happens at this point, I want to know the motor is correct and kicking on all cylinders (not just 7.5)

What type of heads are your running?  The reason I ask is because a friend of mine had a set of AFR heads and was running a self aligning rocker arm.  He was having similar problems but always caught it before it dropped the valve.  After talking with AFR he was told that you cant run those type of rockers with their head.  Now that has also been 8-10 years ago so a lot could have changed in that time frame.  Might be a place to start???

On 3/9/2016 at 1:40 PM, RideTech_Ryan said:

What type of heads are your running?  The reason I ask is because a friend of mine had a set of AFR heads and was running a self aligning rocker arm.  He was having similar problems but always caught it before it dropped the valve.  After talking with AFR he was told that you cant run those type of rockers with their head.  Now that has also been 8-10 years ago so a lot could have changed in that time frame.  Might be a place to start???

They're Dart 190's. I think they're pretty standard as far as rocker arms go, I think I must of overrev'd, bent valve, then the rocker damage happened.

The Sexual Teal Wagon.  It is pretty bad ass.  

What ever happened with the wheel situation with the Mustang?  Those BBS sure are looking good up there. 

On 5/24/2016 at 11:42 AM, Det_Riot said:

@95riosnake @Yeahloh95 Building new Build Thread.....

HURRYYYYYY

giphy.gif

But in all seriousness, great build Bryan, took a few days but I went through all 124 pages and all I can say is WOW. Cant wait to see what's next and what happens with the Vagon!

Edited by Spockbacca

17 minutes ago, RideTech_Ryan said:

^^^^????

Well the new build thread was that for the wagon =D Which I do need to update on a side bar. But for the update of the OG Whale Cannon: Still in my possession, still in various states of disassembly/part out. I will forever keep the car, no need to worry there. However, what the future holds remains to be said. At this point the direction I'll go with the car are endless, Turbo Coyote? Whipple Coyote? turbo or supercharged small block? turbo ls?  So I may have a better idea of what's going to happen in a few months with it. As of now it's a garage ornament with 10000001 stories behind it

Hey I have one of those garage ornaments too!  Sometimes I'll sit in it and grab a hold of the imaginary steering wheel and shifter and pop the imaginary clutch pedal and just go wild.  :lol:

1 hour ago, SublimeRT said:

Hey I have one of those garage ornaments too!  Sometimes I'll sit in it and grab a hold of the imaginary steering wheel and shifter and pop the imaginary clutch pedal and just go wild.  :lol:

speaking of:D

All of this coming from the guy who never has time to touch his car.  I guess I live vicariously through other car guys that actually work on their stuff.

15 hours ago, SublimeRT said:

15 hours ago, RideTech_Ryan said:

speaking of:D

All of this coming from the guy who never has time to touch his car.  I guess I live vicariously through other car guys that actually work on their stuff.

I work on everything but the car, haha.  

1 hour ago, 95riosnake said:

Haha there you go.  He even got the TKO locking me out of gear!  I dunno if I could get the wife to play along though.  She doesn't much care about the thing.  

19 hours ago, Det_Riot said:

turbo ls?

I 100% support this idea.

30 minutes ago, Prokiller said:

now that's a show netflix needs to pick up.  classic

I don't know if you get the Hallmark Channel (its part of our cable package anyway), but they actually still run it quite often.  I just looked at their schedule and they've got it on for 4 hours straight this afternoon.

Edited by Tabres

46 minutes ago, Tabres said:

I don't know if you get the Hallmark Channel (its part of our cable package anyway), but they actually still run it quite often.  I just looked at their schedule and they've got it on for 4 hours straight this afternoon.

hmm i don't know if i do or not.  i'll have to check when i get home.  is it on demand?