95riosnake

The Chronicles of 95riosnake's OCD Machine

Since I'm still unsure where to mount the air ride compressors and Fox Racing is taking their sweet time releasing the front Shockwaves and rear shocks, I decided to turn my sights back to the side exhaust rebuild. (I like to skip around between projects on the car when I get tired of one, keeps me from losing interest, haha).

Started out by testing the cut outs before I start ripping into the exhaust, so I figured I'd shoot a little video clip for you guys. The good news is rebuilding procharger did the trick to stop the slight smoke coming from the exhaust (it wasn't a lot but it was driving me crazy...). This was the first time I've started the car in about 10 months so please forgive how long it takes to turn over, lol. It's hard to make out in the video because of the acoustics in my garage, but I cracked open the cut outs for a few seconds to test them out... and HOLY SHIT it's loud! If you listen closely in the video after I turn the car off, you can hear me say "...holy shit..." before I climb my way out of the car lol. I had to keep the run time short because I live in a close neighborhood and was trying to be respectful since this was a Sunday evening around dinner time.

Ok, onto the fabrication fun, lol. Started by pulling the current side pipes off. As you can see they aren't bad but I want them tucked up as high as possible and use oval tubing.

yei8.jpg

To simplify the fabrication a bit (and avoid having to buy 2 new V-bands) I cut the V-band ends off them and prepped them to weld the 90 degree round to oval transitions on.

3fp6.jpg

Attached the V-band ends back onto the ends of the mufflers, it's hard to see in the picture but I had to pie cut the driver's side one to get it pointing straight back.

38it.jpg

Tacked the driver's side round to oval transition in place

vjag.jpg

Then the driver's side. This side needed a pie cut taken out of the outboard end. The floor pan is a bit different on the passenger side so I couldn't position this one the same as the driver's side. A little pie cut and a couple tack welds does the trick though.

2ws2.jpg

That's where I'm at with it for now, lol. I figured I subjected the neighbors to enough noise at this point lol. I need to order a couple exhaust hangers and such, hopefully they'll be here before the weekend so I can kick some ass on these next weekend, then start making the flow tubes from the cut outs back to the side pipes.

Looking good! Holy crap I didn't know the car has been down for 10 months!?!? My car has dumps on it because of that panhard bar I have, my cars that loud all the time, tough to get used to lol.

On going project, 94 cobra, r block, tfsr225, hp efi, vortech ys

Instagram [MENTION=584]Rolocut[/MENTION]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking good! Holy crap I didn't know the car has been down for 10 months!?!? My car has dumps on it because of that panhard bar I have, my cars that loud all the time, tough to get used to lol.

Yea I pulled the blower off in early December last year to send it out to be rebuilt, then didn't get around to actually sending it until May...got it back from Procharger in mid/late June and just got around to putting it back on and cleaning the oil out of the piping a couple weeks ago. I was pretty disappointed that I had to re-polish the blower before I put it back on the car and since I HATE polishing it sat in the box for a while. I haven't had much time to work on the car recently so when I did have time, the last thing I wanted to do was polish something haha.

Yea they told me back when I got my air ride that they were just about to release the strut package....

I fully expected the release date to get pushed back a couple times, but the first time it was pushed back they said May, then it was late June/early July... and here we are at September 23 and no end in sight.... sigh. No hurry now I guess, my car won't leave the garage till springtime anyway, lol.

Here's a video I took back in December that I forgot about. It was not running right at the time (was playing with several different tunes I had on my SCT chip), hence the cutting out when I tried to rev it. You can see the smoke I was talking about from the leaking blower oil seals, coupled with running rich at the time, the smoke was pretty bad in my opinion.

I fully expected the release date to get pushed back a couple times, but the first time it was pushed back they said May, then it was late June/early July... and here we are at September 23 and no end in sight.... sigh. No hurry now I guess, my car won't leave the garage till springtime anyway, lol.

I believe the exact quote was that they were expecting to have something for sema or what the big vegas show was that was happening in 4 months from when I got mine. I thought ok no big deal I can wait. Well going on close to a year now but then again you can't dictate innovation and they are kinda innovating these....

:nod: :jaw: That sounds redic... I need some blower whine in my life.
Man I know and feel the same. I have been wanting to go supercharged for a while now and been wanting to go for a quiet one but idunno the way that thing sounds like a jet, kinda sexy...

I believe the exact quote was that they were expecting to have something for sema or what the big vegas show was that was happening in 4 months from when I got mine. I thought ok no big deal I can wait. Well going on close to a year now but then again you can't dictate innovation and they are kinda innovating these....

Yea the new shock waves are supposed to be a completely new design. The old version's top mount was not compatible with aftermarket C/C plates, and instead replaced them with a built-in top mount that had very little adjustability for alignment. That alone is worth the wait IMO, add in the fact that they're being built by Fox instead of QA1 (they said they had a lot of issues with the QA1 stuff) and having the adjustability, I'll wait as long as I have to. Doesn't mean I'm happy about it though ;)

the car sounds greeat as usual , i would have came out and did the blower i dont mind pollishing .

Good to know, I'll keep that in mind in the future Troy... haha. I'm a patient guy when I'm working on a car but for some reason polishing aluminum is not something I have the patience for anymore.

:nod: :jaw: That sounds redic... I need some blower whine in my life.
Man I know and feel the same. I have been wanting to go supercharged for a while now and been wanting to go for a quiet one but idunno the way that thing sounds like a jet, kinda sexy...

Haha yea, it's a bit ridiculous sometimes how loud the blower is. There's a certain cruise speed it will hit on the highway where the blower quite literally is screaming like a 747, lol. The fun thing is sitting in traffic or at a red light. Car guys love it but the really fun part is the look of complete confusion on the faces of non-car people. They'll be sitting there with the windows down jammin to Justin Beiber or whatever, then I coast up and ruin the moment lol.

Lmao, I was thinking "Dan says he's got some smoke...there might be a small puff" but ok, the damn thing blew some serious smoke haha! Looks good though papi ;p

Yea it got worse the more I drove the car it seemed. When I sent it back to Procharger and they called to say what it needed done after the inspection they said it had never been rebuilt, and was manufactured in 2002... the oil seals were long gone.

This makes me desperately want a D1SC... dat sound.
This hard on won't go away from blower whine...
Holy schnikys. :jaw:
Sounds great. I am sure with the side pipes back on it will sound better without the sound bouncing around under the car.

The car and the build are beautiful.

Centrifugal supercharger and cams and side exhaust = orgasmic heaven!!!

Thank you sirs! I almost forgot how good the car sounds since it's been sitting so long. I really need to get crackin on this thing and get it on the road next year :(

mother-of-god.jpg

It honestly makes me sad that my car will never be as beautiful as yours

Thanks man, but honestly your car does look great and keep in mind I've been building this car for 10 years now. It's come a long way! Here's the earliest pictures I have of it, after I put on the SVO exhaust/side skirts (you could buy them new back then, if that gives you an idea how long ago it was lol). These were taken with a disposable camera, lolololol

cobra2b.jpg

cobra1b.jpg

• Moderators

[MENTION=67]95riosnake[/MENTION] I both love and hate you! That car is beautiful and good Lord the sound. I only hope that I can bring a little something to the Rio Red table in the wake of your shadow.

^^^ Dat stance, lol. 10 years in the making, geez. You can't rush perfection. ;)

During the first few years the build was slow... broke college student at the beginning, then getting on my feet professionally after that. The past 4-5 years have really gone full swing into building the car though, been plugging away at making it exactly what I want it to be. Each winter seems to get more expensive than the last, lol.

[MENTION=67]95riosnake[/MENTION] I both love and hate you! That car is beautiful and good Lord the sound. I only hope that I can bring a little something to the Rio Red table in the wake of your shadow.

Thanks Chris! I think once you get crackin on your car it'll be badass for sure :thumb:

• Moderators
Thanks Chris! I think once you get crackin on your car it'll be badass for sure :thumb:

I sure hope so! It will probably take a back seat to the 66 once I get the underside torn apart, cleaned, and put back together.

Each winter seems to get more expensive than the last, lol.

This is what I am worried about, although I don't have to wait on winter.

Christ that thing sounds insane! I need cams despirately! The build is coming along very nicely, Dan. I too am looking at getting my wheel wrapped my DCS next season in charcoal alcantara and napa leather with extra padding, 10th anni grips, and dark green stitching.

Awesome man, we can start a club lol. I'm really impressed with their work on my e-brake lever, I can't wait to do the wheel too. :thumb:

Yesterday I finished up restoring/rebuilding the 2 piece rear rotors.

The rotor rings needed repainted, but I also needed to paint inside the cross drilled holes and slots. So a few days ago I drew up some cardboard masks in autocad, cut them out on our box cutter at work and taped them in place.

bc0a.jpg

Painted them with VHT Flameproof paint and the masks worked great. :thumb: The excess overspray on the rotor surface will wipe off easily the first time I hit the brakes so it's all good.

pqx9.jpg

Had a local electroplating shop strip and re-anodize the hats black. Funny side note, when I went to pick them up they said the anodizing they stripped off was for lack of a better term "shitty"...they said it stripped off faster than it should have. Kinda sad that these hats had that crappy of anodizing on them considering how much Baer sells them for new...

8odi.jpg

The new hat hardware came in from Baer, so it was finally time to put these things back together.

9fjy.jpg

An hour or so of torquing bolts later, they were back together looking awesome

xgl6.jpg

irdo.jpg

Mounted them on the car

ubng.jpg

l3js.jpg

Just for kicks, a comparison of the rotors before/after the OCD treatment, lol.

vbn2.jpg

xgl6.jpg

Looks sick dan!!! Just out of curiosity how much are you into them for compared to new?

Looks sick dan!!! Just out of curiosity how much are you into them for compared to new?

Thanks man, I'm into them about $200 or so, CJPP lists them for $438 new so I think I came out in pretty good shape :thumb:

Thanks man, I'm into them about $200 or so, CJPP lists them for $438 new so I think I came out in pretty good shape :thumb:

Haha yeah and better quality ?

Since my exhaust hangers STILL haven't showed up, I did what work I could on the exhaust. Cut the Borla tips off the old exhaust, then decided to polish them since they were looking pretty rough. I ended up getting one done, I'll bust out the other one next weekend before I start fabbing the piping. The other tip has a little damage that needs fixed before I polish it, one of the outer tips is bent from where it smacked the side skirt opening during a dispute between the bottom of my car and the pavement.

6zc3.jpg

Polished tip vs. what I started with...lol

518z.jpg

These tips were practically made for oval tubing, should work out great :thumb:

u5ki.jpg

Looks awesome dano! What process are you using to polish the tips?

Thanks Bryan, here's the process I'm using:

Sand with 220 (rough spots, otherwise skip for smoother areas), 400, 600, 800, 1500, 2000 grit. Then a little hand polishing with Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish, followed by Mother's Power Metal polish on a Powerball. The "finished" one still needs a bit more polishing but I am gonna wait till after the exhaust is finished to do that since the tips will probably pick up some small scratches and scuffs while I'm mocking things in place to weld up the piping.

Looks like progress. The hats turned out great. My Baer hats look crap too and I paid full price for them. Maybe one day I might get mine redone.

Why not upgrade the studs while you were in there?

I've thought about doing some nice ARP extended studs, just haven't felt like doing it yet. If I decide to, I can pop the calipers off in about 10 minutes to pull the rotors. What I'd like to do is pick up the Ford service tool for removing the studs, basically a super heavy duty C-clamp with a hex drive on the handle and a crow's foot on the back side of the hub, I think it also is designed to stay centered over the stud. Pops the studs out really easily. I know some people use the hammer method but I'm not a fan of beating them with a hammer, I'd rather use the proper tool. It just sucks that Ford's tool is $200+ IIRC.

Stud_Remover_Tool_Ford_6062011.jpg

I've thought about doing some nice ARP extended studs, just haven't felt like doing it yet. If I decide to, I can pop the calipers off in about 10 minutes to pull the rotors. What I'd like to do is pick up the Ford service tool for removing the studs, basically a super heavy duty C-clamp with a hex drive on the handle and a crow's foot on the back side of the hub, I think it also is designed to stay centered over the stud. Pops the studs out really easily. I know some people use the hammer method but I'm not a fan of beating them with a hammer, I'd rather use the proper tool. It just sucks that Ford's tool is $200+ IIRC.

Stud_Remover_Tool_Ford_6062011.jpg

Nah, you can literally tap the studs out. No pounding needed. You would be surprised how easy the come out. Now getting the news in, totally different story. That and the 94/95 front hubs are different knurl OD than all other years. ARP does not (or didn't 4 years ago) make a direct pull through stud. I had to buy a 39/64 Cobralt drill bit. It was hard to find in a see of hundreds of materials, sizes and styles, I only found TWO. One was cheap the other was expensive. Can I tell you which worked? Yep, the expensive one. I found that out the hardway.

Nah, you can literally tap the studs out. No pounding needed. You would be surprised how easy the come out. Now getting the news in, totally different story. That and the 94/95 front hubs are different knurl OD than all other years. ARP does not (or didn't 4 years ago) make a direct pull through stud. I had to buy a 39/64 Cobralt drill bit. It was hard to find in a see of hundreds of materials, sizes and styles, I only found TWO. One was cheap the other was expensive. Can I tell you which worked? Yep, the expensive one. I found that out the hardway.

Oh ok, I guess the rear studs are easier than the front. I replaced my front studs to run some 5/8" spacers and they were a BITCH to get out, pounding them with a 3lb sledge. I just didn't like it while I was doing it, it felt like I was doing unnecessary harm lol. I have a tool for reinstalling the studs that works great, it's just the removal that sucks.