95riosnake

The Chronicles of 95riosnake's OCD Machine

Rotors came out great! If you didn't put up the other tip next to the polished one I would of thought you had them chromed, such nice work. ...and this line had me laughing "...where it smacked the side skirt opening during a dispute between the bottom of my car and the pavement"

Got the passenger's side pipe fabbed today and I'm extremely happy how it turned out :thumb:

After tacking on this first section I decided to figure out a better way to mock up things to simplify the process since I had a couple more bends to make after this point before I got to the tip. To make the bends I needed to use a series of pie cuts because the cost of stainless oval mandrel bends adds up fast, lol. I'm fabbing it all out of a straight length.

z7eg.jpg

What I came up with was taking two layers of thin cardboard, scoring them so they bent around the oval tubing easily, then laminating one layer over the other with hot glue. Once I pulled the tubing out, the cardboard held its shape perfectly. Then I could basically build my pipe out of cardboard, taping the joints together. This let me adjust the design easily and without wasting expensive stainless oval tubing.

yc6i.jpg

xjcu.jpg

nm38.jpg

Next I cut the tape joints, then each piece could be slid over the tubing to mark the cuts with a marker.

2lz6.jpg

gjmg.jpg

sbud.jpg

ft9c.jpg

I ended up changing the design a little bit, moving one of the pie cuts out closer to the tip to get the angle spot on. Here's the "finished" product tacked together. Once I have the entire exhaust built, I'll take it to work and TIG weld all the joints.

okgm.jpg

qjfo.jpg

4ktu.jpg

Back under the car. There's a nice tight 1/4" gap between the pipe and subframe connector, compared to the old exhaust I gained about 2.5" of ground clearance which is awesome. You can also see the super nice Stainless Works exhaust hangers, I just had to modify the mouth of them to fit the oval tubing. I used these on my blower piping and they worked great so they got the nod for round two in my exhaust. I trimmed the pinch weld up about 1/2" to give me plenty of room; this was another problem spot previously that contributed to the ground clearance problems.

pa7b.jpg

1qad.jpg

bm6p.jpg

I now have a huge amount of respect for the people who build those fancy titanium exhausts and custom intake tubes with hundreds of pie cuts, lol.

My wife is having a "girls' day" tomorrow with her friends, which translates into Sunday funday garage time for me so hopefully I can knock out the driver's side :thumb:

Awesome man you really do some pretty work
We're not worthy...

:juggle:

Thank you sirs!

I'm drooling, but I has one question. What's the red thing in this picture? lol

1qad.jpg

Number Tew I think rio has his battery under his rear seat delete if your talking about the thick guage wire.

Yea it's the battery wire. I'm actually going to re-route it because I want it inboard of the subframes since I'll be doing the Stifflers FIT bracing once I'm done with the exhaust.

Good work. And congratulations on getting a day alone for garage work.

I would be too tempted to fire it up even though you have only one side tacked together. leaks past the muffler are not that pronounced ... hahaha

Haha trust me I wanted to fire it up but I'm forcing myself to wait till I have the entire exhaust complete, cut outs tied into the side pipes and all. Garage time has been hard to come by recently so I'm pretty happy to finally be back to getting things accomplished again :thumb:

Haha trust me I wanted to fire it up but I'm forcing myself to wait till I have the entire exhaust complete, cut outs tied into the side pipes and all. Garage time has been hard to come by recently so I'm pretty happy to finally be back to getting things accomplished again :thumb:

I get 7 days home in November after we get back from Mexico. 2 days for our 1 year old's birthday party and that only leaves 5 days for me to do what I want. Of course the wife will be at work and I will be playing dad to said 1 year old. Since I am taking the mother-in-law to Mexico with us, I am gonna beg for 2 days of babysitting to get some garage and Cobra time in. I think if they bring me food, I have a bucket for a bathroom and the floor to sleep on, I can get a lot done in 2 days.

I get 7 days home in November after we get back from Mexico. 2 days for our 1 year old's birthday party and that only leaves 5 days for me to do what I want. Of course the wife will be at work and I will be playing dad to said 1 year old. Since I am taking the mother-in-law to Mexico with us, I am gonna beg for 2 days of babysitting to get some garage and Cobra time in. I think if they bring me food, I have a bucket for a bathroom and the floor to sleep on, I can get a lot done in 2 days.

I know how that feels. While I don't have kids, I have been going through raising an Alaskan Malamute puppy so I have been getting a glimpse into what it would be like. It seems like every time I have a window of time to work on the car, the dog gets sick and starts shitting everywhere or something and kills the opportunity lol. I could only imagine trying to get anything done with your work schedule and a 1 yr old on top of it all.

looking good dan i cant wait to see it in a few weeks

Yep hopefully my new addition to the build list will be here before you and Ryan come, I haven't told anyone yet so you and Ryan will have the "exclusive" lol

When your build is done not even magazine features will be worthy of your stang lol

Question: where do you get that oval stainless tubing? I need some for the shelby

Haha thanks Rob, what I'd really love is a feature from a big online blog like Canibeat, Speedhunters, etc. My goal with this car is to blur the lines between the mustang scene, pro touring scene, stance scene etc. and build something that all of them can appreciate aspects of.

I ordered the oval tubing from Spintech, be prepared because it isn't cheap if you want stainless. I actually need to get a little bit more than the 40" straight length I started with and I'm looking at another $70 to get more. I also am planning an elaborate way to tie the cutout flow tubes back into the side pipes using a crossover kind of design. The idea is that since the cutouts are before the existing X, I want somewhere downstream of them that will equalize the exhaust pulses. If you've ever heard a car with dual side exhaust that doesn't have a crossover anywhere (think Factory Five Cobra replica cars, etc.) you know the sound I am trying to avoid.

Wow great find Dan! They are about a 45 minute drive from me. Prices are not cheap but for key parts and tubing its do-able and exactly what Ive been needing! :) Thanks!

Im doing a custom over axle redesign so I get max drop as currently the axle is touching the exaust pipes and may be keeping the rear from dropping lower. So Iwant to oval the tubing over the axle to gain another inch or so clearance and ability to drop more

Miraculously I actually got to work on the car as planned, lol.

Today's lesson: When welding above yourself under a car, take the extra 2 seconds to put your welding glove on. Your welding jacket doesn't do any good when the slag of molten metal goes cruising down the cuff of your sleeve. Shake your arm all you want, it just keeps burning until it cools down, you just get multiple burns from it bouncing around lol.

v52j.jpg

I polished up the other tip, trimmed the driver's side pinch weld and got crackin on building the pipe. Unfortunately I soon realized I was going to come up short on oval tubing, so it's on hold until I get another order of it in.

hmxf.jpg

zn8b.jpg

So I turned back to figuring out where to mount the air ride compressors in the trunk. I bought these compressor mount brackets from Accuair, they have really nice built-in vibration isolation mounts that will team up with the rubber mounts on the compressors to quiet them down as much as possible when mounted (I hope).

757m.jpg

5mtq.jpg

08ve.jpg

Then I played around with the trunk layout and landed with this as my favorite

2s1m.jpg

x8wa.jpg

Made a mock up mount from cardboard. I'm not totally settled on the shape of it, but once I get the mounting points and locations of the frame tubes laid out in Autocad, I can play with different shapes pretty easily before I load it into the CNC plasma cutter at work.

ukv1.jpg

p98z.jpg

fqyf.jpg

• Moderators

Again, I both love and hate you. Looks amazing! When you finally get your car "done,' will come work on mine?!?! I don't even need anything fancy like yours!

Again, I both love and hate you. Looks amazing! When you finally get your car "done,' will come work on mine?!?! I don't even need anything fancy like yours!

Haha sorry I work waaaay too slow to build other people's cars lol.

Nice work dan ,did you moc the fit-system up with that exhaust? Just a heads up, kinda looks like that hanger on the pinchweld might have to moved or modified.

I didn't, but it will be secondary to the exhaust. The FIT braces will get modified before the exhaust will, since I finally have it the way I want it. This is the 4th generation of this exhaust lol. I'll probably just shorten or notch the stiffening rail as needed.

• Moderators
Haha sorry I work waaaay too slow to build other people's cars lol.

Have you seen how much work has gotten done on mine in the year that I've been a member here?!?!

Dan, you are a bad, bad influence..

Can you tell me about your longblock. It's one of Woody's 347s correct? Are you still using your 2031 and what heads are you running?

Yea it's a 347 from Woody, using an Anderson N61 cam currently (I technically need to change the cam as it's a naturally aspirated cam...the blower wasn't in the plans when I did the 347...but the car already makes too much power so I'm fine leaving some on the table). The heads are Holley SysteMax that are machined to convert them to 7/16 stud mount rockers, using Scorpion 1.6's, Anderson valve springs, locks, retainers, etc.

Holy badass shit man. You are a god dan. A sn95 god. I need you around just to bounce ideas off of you, the crap you come up with is insane. The double cardboard idea.......genius. Stealing that when I redo my exhaust this winter!

Yea it's a 347 from Woody, using an Anderson N61 cam currently (I technically need to change the cam as it's a naturally aspirated cam...the blower wasn't in the plans when I did the 347...but the car already makes too much power so I'm fine leaving some on the table). The heads are Holley SysteMax that are machined to convert them to 7/16 stud mount rockers, using Scorpion 1.6's, Anderson valve springs, locks, retainers, etc.

Stock block still right? Do you regret building the motor on the stock block?

Have you seen how much work has gotten done on mine in the year that I've been a member here?!?!

Haha well my car hasn't left the garage since November 2012 so regardless, you'd be waiting a while! Lol

Thank you.. Considering my Compression is so low, I'm thinking about ordering the same shortblock from woody.. I don't really want another 302 based engine, but given that it would be about $8000 cheaper than what I actually want, I may have to. Was going to have him throw on some TFS 170's and keep my 2031.. I can live with 500rwhp until I finish school again.

Are you an MET or ME? I can't remember.

And I really wish you were closer so I could come do your welding :car:

Not saying anything is hideous, but I could really really help you out :)

Holy badass shit man. You are a god dan. A sn95 god. I need you around just to bounce ideas off of you, the crap you come up with is insane. The double cardboard idea.......genius. Stealing that when I redo my exhaust this winter!

Thanks Bryan I definitely appreciate it man! The cardboard mock up got me about 95% where I needed to be, it still needed some tweaking but it definitely saved me from wasting tubing and prevented me from having to remake parts. It's a lot easier to cut a new piece of cardboard than a piece of tubing lol.

Stock block still right? Do you regret building the motor on the stock block?

Yes it's a stock block, main girdled, forged and all that good stuff. I most definitely regret the stock block but at this point I'm not building a new motor unless this one pops. If I had to do it again, I would do either a Dart 363 or Dart 427 so the sky would be the limit rather than the 500rwhp mark I'm stuck at now.

• Moderators
Haha well my car hasn't left the garage since November 2012 so regardless, you'd be waiting a while! Lol

Other than taking mine to the paint shop for an estimate, testing to see if I fixed the ignition problem, and moving to my friend's house for storage, mine hasn't done much of anything since September 2006 when I bought my F150 to replace it as my daily driver.

I'm with [MENTION=5]Det_Riot[/MENTION], I'd love just to have your input on my car. I asked in my "build" thread, and I'll ask again here just because I am avoiding writing a really stupid paper for school and need something else to thing about... what would you do differently (other than 4 iterations of exhaust) to your car? If you were even into a vert, what would you do? I'd love to make my car a milder [unworthy] version of your car. You and a couple other folks on here are idols to me and I only hope to have a quarter of your talent when I actually get to work on my car.

Thank you.. Considering my Compression is so low, I'm thinking about ordering the same shortblock from woody.. I don't really want another 302 based engine, but given that it would be about $8000 cheaper than what I actually want, I may have to. Was going to have him throw on some TFS 170's and keep my 2031.. I can live with 500rwhp until I finish school again.

Are you an MET or ME? I can't remember.

And I really wish you were closer so I could come do your welding :car:

Not saying anything is hideous, but I could really really help you out :)

I'm an industrial designer actually, but a lot of my schooling included engineering courses.

I appreciate the offer on the welding, I actually enjoy doing it though. It's really relaxing for me. I'm really looking forward to getting all this stuff tacked together and to the metal shop at work so I can finish weld it with the tig. I have a lot of pie cuts ahead of me before then though lol

im sure itll work, and itll help us get it right this time around

This side exhaust just hit generation 4 so don't feel bad you didn't get it how you wanted it the first time lol. Doing it late at night doesn't help your chances lol. It's hard to build something one-off like this when you're up against a fast-approaching deadline for sure.

Other than taking mine to the paint shop for an estimate, testing to see if I fixed the ignition problem, and moving to my friend's house for storage, mine hasn't done much of anything since September 2006 when I bought my F150 to replace it as my daily driver.

I'm with [MENTION=5]Det_Riot[/MENTION], I'd love just to have your input on my car. I asked in my "build" thread, and I'll ask again here just because I am avoiding writing a really stupid paper for school and need something else to thing about... what would you do differently (other than 4 iterations of exhaust) to your car? If you were even into a vert, what would you do? I'd love to make my car a milder [unworthy] version of your car. You and a couple other folks on here are idols to me and I only hope to have a quarter of your talent when I actually get to work on my car.

One thing I've always had in the back of my head was if I had gone dark with the wheels, lights, etc. black emblems with red inset areas, etc. I also always loved the Cervinis single cowl hoods. Hmm, other than that I'll have to give that some thought and get back to you lol.

• Moderators
One thing I've always had in the back of my head was if I had gone dark with the wheels, lights, etc. black emblems with red inset areas, etc. I also always loved the Cervinis single cowl hoods. Hmm, other than that I'll have to give that some thought and get back to you lol.

Funny. I'm going with black inlay lights and probably shaving the emblems. Toying with the hoods... '00 R hood is awesome, wife likes the Stalker hood, and the '95 R hood is understated like I'm going for.

look what you did psychorugby, you're going to give dan too much time in his now and he's going to start ripping stuff out and redoing it. bad call man...bad call.

think you'll have the exhaust wrapped up by the end of the month? i really wanted to hear the difference with the cutouts.