95riosnake

The Chronicles of 95riosnake's OCD Machine

Another place I recently discovered that has some very nice wiring pieces is http://skyhighcaraudio.com/.  I had a chance to meet these guys and have found that they spare no expense in the quality of all their products.  Sorry to clog the thread just wanted to share another possible place most people havent heard of.

The sound imaging from them is supposed to be awesome (because they point up at you, and are supposed to make the front soundstage much fuller), plus more speakers would help the stereo be heard over my exhaust lol. There aren't any other places up front to add more speakers unless you make your own enclosures in the door panels like Scott is doing. And I'm not down for doing all that.

The sound imaging IS incredible with the q pods. I'm doing another set in my 97 with 3 pair of focal components and a jl 6 channel

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

@95riosnake 

Just a couple of questions, Dan... When you did your relocation, what gauge did you end up using on the +/- wires?  I was reading but I guess I missed whether you stuck with the 2g or went with 0g.  I'm redoing alot of mine right now.  Also, how is your engine grounded?

@95riosnake 

Just a couple of questions, Dan... When you did your relocation, what gauge did you end up using on the +/- wires?  I was reading but I guess I missed whether you stuck with the 2g or went with 0g.  I'm redoing alot of mine right now.  Also, how is your engine grounded?

I used 2 gauge, 0 gauge is overkill IMO. I grounded the engine through the fuse box and also a 2 gauge cable with ring terminals from an oil pan bolt (IIRC - a sign I haven't worked on the car in far too long lol) to a sway bar mount bolt.

I used 2 gauge, 0 gauge is overkill IMO. I grounded the engine through the fuse box and also a 2 gauge cable with ring terminals from an oil pan bolt (IIRC - a sign I haven't worked on the car in far too long lol) to a sway bar mount bolt.

Cool, I've got mine set up the almost the same way.  I've got quite a few things tore apart on it right now, I hate re-doing what I've already done but I've already found several things I can do better.

8 hours ago, Spockbacca said:

DAN!!!!!!!!!!!! Please, give us something! oh btw love the build. I literally went through this thing for the 10th time.

Thanks! I wish I had something to share, but I haven't had any time or money to get anything done on the car since we moved.

3 hours ago, 95riosnake said:

Thanks! I wish I had something to share, but I haven't had any time or money to get anything done on the car since we moved.

I'll settle for an update in the house/garage thread in the mean time... ;)

5 hours ago, Tabres said:

I'll settle for an update in the house/garage thread in the mean time... ;)

I haven't done any more work on the work bench since the last update, but I've been building 305 feet of 6' privacy fence and remodeling a powder room. Once I get to a picture worthy stage of those projects I'll be posting them in the other thread :drink_to_that:

4 hours ago, Yeahloh95 said:

i'll settle for a me and jasper are coming to Carlisle

I'm going to try and come to Carlisle, without the car obviously and it probably couldn't be the whole weekend. Would be cool if I could make it out Friday night and leave Saturday evening, but we shall see.

13 hours ago, Spockbacca said:

Well congrats on the new digs. Any major plans for it in the future? Pool, updated kitchen, wicked garage shop?:becky:

The entire house will be renovated room by room by yours truly, gradually though. No pool but a detached shop is planned. The house has a 27 x 24 2 car with 10' ceilings already but the mustang needs its own space as well as all the large machinery I want to add to my collection eventually. Will be a 3 car size garage with two doors, etc. It's definitely gonna be a while before I can start that project though, and it will be in stages when it does happen. Will probably pour the slab one year and use it as parking, then add a few courses of block and frame the walls and roof the next year, then close it all in the following year, and so on. I could do it all at once but I prefer to cash flow everything. Other than a mortgage I hate taking out loans. Other than a small loan that I'll take to buy a truck soon, I don't plan to borrow money from anyone unless it's an absolute last resort.

On June 4, 2013 at 11:54 AM, 95riosnake said:

Onto other things, I finished the cup holder gauge pod insert. It may not look pretty here but is is smooth and flawless, very happy with it.

img1098ht.jpg

Packed it up and shipped it out to Carbon Driven in Cali yesterday so it can get covered in some sexy carbon fiber. Can't wait to get it back!

That's all for now, let me know what you guys think :thumb:

@Carbon Driven DO YOU SEE THE DATE THAT HE POSTED THIS???????!!!!!!!! WTF MAN!  ALMOST 3 FUCKING YEARS!

Yup...

I mean maybe I'm just impatient. :rolleyes:

And I don't expect a response even though you mentioned him. I've sent PM's, emails, instagram comments, tried to get in contact through mutual acquaintances, etc. all to no avail.

Just another reason I got burnt out with this damn car.

• Administrator
18 hours ago, 95riosnake said:

Yup...

I mean maybe I'm just impatient. :rolleyes:

And I don't expect a response even though you mentioned him. I've sent PM's, emails, instagram comments, tried to get in contact through mutual acquaintances, etc. all to no avail.

Just another reason I got burnt out with this damn car.

Well he's been removed as a sponsor on this site and his account is in probation.  Oh and don't think word of mouth won't give him bad press.  The internet is big and full of people that like to bitch, you just have to make the snowball ;)

On 5/26/2016 at 10:55 AM, 95riosnake said:

The entire house will be renovated room by room by yours truly, gradually though. No pool but a detached shop is planned. The house has a 27 x 24 2 car with 10' ceilings already but the mustang needs its own space as well as all the large machinery I want to add to my collection eventually. Will be a 3 car size garage with two doors, etc. It's definitely gonna be a while before I can start that project though, and it will be in stages when it does happen. Will probably pour the slab one year and use it as parking, then add a few courses of block and frame the walls and roof the next year, then close it all in the following year, and so on. I could do it all at once but I prefer to cash flow everything. Other than a mortgage I hate taking out loans. Other than a small loan that I'll take to buy a truck soon, I don't plan to borrow money from anyone unless it's an absolute last resort.

I hear you on that. Hopefully you can get back on the car soon. I'm sure we're all dying to see where this chronicle goes!!!

I can't argue with the quality of his parts, so don't let me stop you from ordering if you really want some carbon... but I personally can't send one more dollar his way. It's sad because I was singing his praises before he dropped off the face of the planet.

Yea after reading this i wouldn't give that guy a fucking dime! In fact i'm glad i never ordered his wiper cowl that i was super close a couple times to ordering lol. Seems like everyone was kinda left hanging on those for months after ordering.....iirc 

I actually have the Carbon Driven cowl wrapped up in bubble wrap still in my basement. I'm probably just going to sell it because I already have a carbon cowl, and I'm not sure if I feel like going through all the trouble to try to source the necessary weather stripping and shit to add to the new one. Even though it would fit better, I wish there was an easier way to get the weather stripping than having to strip it from a factory cowl.

1 hour ago, 95riosnake said:

I actually have the Carbon Driven cowl wrapped up in bubble wrap still in my basement. I'm probably just going to sell it because I already have a carbon cowl, and I'm not sure if I feel like going through all the trouble to try to source the necessary weather stripping and shit to add to the new one. Even though it would fit better, I wish there was an easier way to get the weather stripping than having to strip it from a factory cowl.

Is there no where else you can source those? Dealership or anything? I've never personally taken one of these off, I didn't even realize they had weatherstripping.

4 hours ago, Spockbacca said:

Is there no where else you can source those? Dealership or anything? I've never personally taken one of these off, I didn't even realize they had weatherstripping.

There is a strip of weather stripping where the cowl meets the windshield glass and two pieces of weatherstrip for the hood hinges, I haven't been able to find either of them without buying a new or used replacement cowl.

On 6/27/2016 at 1:19 PM, 95riosnake said:

There is a strip of weather stripping where the cowl meets the windshield glass and two pieces of weatherstrip for the hood hinges, I haven't been able to find either of them without buying a new or used replacement cowl.

I found a great replacement at autozone.  I will have to dig it out but IIRC its called truck bed cover seal or something like that?  Its a closed cell foam that is supposed to go between the top of a bed topper and the bed.  It has its own adhesive on it so I trimmed it down and then stuck it on.  With only 1/1-1/8" it looks fairly stock.  I have plenty of extra and would be happy to send you a piece to use

I posted a house update in my other thread (the bathroom), just haven't had time to do an update with the fence build. Now I'm into a dining room and living room remodel. Mixing in a rebuild/restore of a Yates American 14" disc sander though so I'll be covering that in the other thread soon

It feels like I'll never get this car back together. I just haven't had the time or sadly, even the interest to make any strides with it. I need to get the lighting handled in the garage first at minimum. I did a trial run wiring the same light fixtures in the basement/wood shop so now I'm comfortable with how to wire them. It'll be much harder in a 10' ceiling room and there will be waaaaay more fixtures but I plan to start getting that going soon. Gonna need my dad to come help, hanging 8' long fixtures by yourself isn't easy lol.

17 minutes ago, 95riosnake said:

I posted a house update in my other thread (the bathroom), just haven't had time to do an update with the fence build. Now I'm into a dining room and living room remodel. Mixing in a rebuild/restore of a Yates American 14" disc sander though so I'll be covering that in the other thread soon

It feels like I'll never get this car back together. I just haven't had the time or sadly, even the interest to make any strides with it. I need to get the lighting handled in the garage first at minimum. I did a trial run wiring the same light fixtures in the basement/wood shop so now I'm comfortable with how to wire them. It'll be much harder in a 10' ceiling room and there will be waaaaay more fixtures but I plan to start getting that going soon. Gonna need my dad to come help, hanging 8' long fixtures by yourself isn't easy lol.

Haha, I saw the bathroom update... Good stuff!  

I understand what you're going through.  I was reorganizing the garage the other night so I could work on the car easier the other night and when I was done, there was no motivation to work on it.  After spending so much time on it previously, I don't have the want to mess with it now.  Once I have a bigger garage, I'll have some motivation but that'll be a while I'm sure...  

and I can imagine that you might need some help hanging those lol.  

What are you using in your garage?  I've been looking for a while at replacing the lights in mine with larger fixtures.  Trying to sort through all of the info on lighting on Garagejournal makes my head spin... so many different options, so many wildly varying opinions.  I'm at the point where I'm going to say screw it and just buy some typical 4 foot T8 fixtures.  Cheap, and easy enough to swap ballasts in the future if I decide I want to do LED's

Edited by Tabres

@Tabres Some guys on GJ could write a thesis on how to make toast. I take some of it into consideration but in general I would always just go for the "more is better" option and scale back if needed.

About a year ago I scored 20 8' 4 bulb T8 fixtures off Craigslist for $400, they each use four 4' T8's. I replaced the warm white bulbs they came with and went with cool white (4100k) bulbs. I find the higher temp bulbs (5000 and 6500) very harsh and unpleasant to work in (we have some 6500K at work and I hate them). I just used 4 of the fixtures in the basement woodshop, and plan to most likely use 12 to 16 of them in the garage which is a 27 x 23 with 10' ceilings. I plan to wire them so that every other fixture is on one switch and the other half are on another. That way if I'm just popping in quickly or doing basic garage work I can just have half the brightness, but if I need maximum visibility I can turn on all 48-64 bulbs. I'm going to run a dedicated 20 amp circuit solely for the lights, then another for 110v outlets and a third for a 220 circuit (planning ahead for a TIG and a big compressor in the future).

I wanted to do LED's but the price of admission was just too much for me right now considering how many fixtures I wanted to run. Like you said, swap ballasts in the future if I want, but I honestly doubt I ever will. LED technilogy is great but I think sometimes people just want to upgrade to LED because they are dazzled by the high techness of them lol.