95riosnake

The Chronicles of 95riosnake's OCD Machine

Dan I did run into a slight clearance issue wuth the gussets but the offset bushings cured the problem no notching her.More than likely because manual rack and shaft that im running. Control arms sit perfectly parallel with the bumpsteer set up correctly,you shouldnt have an issue there. Then again every car is different IDK. As far as the spider bracing goes I didnt have to worry about exhaust but in your case i can see the rear kick outs having some fitment issues with your cutouts so a little modification may be necessary. The kmember brace shouldnt be a problem with your long tubes as you can weld the tabs onto the kmember to position the brace in a manner to clear your headers. All in all i dont see any major issues with fitting the k or spider brace.

One suggestion if I may, you might consider drilling a small pilot hole through your k-member and frame in a few areas before you take it down again for powdercoating.  You can use them to insert a small dowel through and realign the k-member with when you re-install it.  It will save you the headache of having to get out the plumbobs and going through the process of squaring it again when freshly powdercoated.

Perhaps with the rack you could just bend up some new hard lines to get the clearance you need to get the rack up higher. Or just use the lines off the old rack if you have it. It looks like the ports are in the same position. I don't think I'd want to leave it in the lowest position. Especially with the car being on air. The lower the car goes the more it's going to throw off the tie rod angles if they aren't dialed in with that low rack position. Everything else looks real nice though. The prototype aluminum bracing is awesome looking. I'd be tempted to polish them, though that might not tie in with the rest of the car's theme quite right. Can't wait to see the K and A Arms red and with the Stiffler's bracing.

Ugh and I've been dreading having to resquare mine though now should likely be the time to do it since nothing's in the car lol

It's really not terrible, just tedious. If you have a helper it wouldn't be as bad either. I was doing it solo, so repositioning the tape measure got REALLY annoying lol.

man i feel for ya it looks like a bitch to get those kmembers in and out....looks awesome though! 

It was definitely a bitch, but it is definitely SOOOOO much nicer without that big hunk of factory K member in the way of everything!

Dan I did run into a slight clearance issue wuth the gussets but the offset bushings cured the problem no notching her.More than likely because manual rack and shaft that im running. Control arms sit perfectly parallel with the bumpsteer set up correctly,you shouldnt have an issue there. Then again every car is different IDK. As far as the spider bracing goes I didnt have to worry about exhaust but in your case i can see the rear kick outs having some fitment issues with your cutouts so a little modification may be necessary. The kmember brace shouldnt be a problem with your long tubes as you can weld the tabs onto the kmember to position the brace in a manner to clear your headers. All in all i dont see any major issues with fitting the k or spider brace.

Ok, I figured you might not have the issue because of the manual rack. I think the Stifflers stuff will fit pretty well, I already knew the rear kick outs would need some rethinking because of how non-standard my exhaust is. Might just be a matter of shortening them.

One suggestion if I may, you might consider drilling a small pilot hole through your k-member and frame in a few areas before you take it down again for powdercoating.  You can use them to insert a small dowel through and realign the k-member with when you re-install it.  It will save you the headache of having to get out the plumbobs and going through the process of squaring it again when freshly powdercoated.

I'm so deep into installing it already, I don't even know if I'm gonna be pulling it out to powder coat it at this point. I'd like to, but I also want to make progress. I still might do it, but at this point I'm about 9+ hours in on the install, and that's starting from having the factory piece out and the headers in place lol. If I do, I'll definitely take your suggestion on the dowels, that would save a ton of time for sure.

Perhaps with the rack you could just bend up some new hard lines to get the clearance you need to get the rack up higher. Or just use the lines off the old rack if you have it. It looks like the ports are in the same position. I don't think I'd want to leave it in the lowest position. Especially with the car being on air. The lower the car goes the more it's going to throw off the tie rod angles if they aren't dialed in with that low rack position. Everything else looks real nice though. The prototype aluminum bracing is awesome looking. I'd be tempted to polish them, though that might not tie in with the rest of the car's theme quite right. Can't wait to see the K and A Arms red and with the Stiffler's bracing.

I thought about maybe changing the hard line, I might be able to find lines off a 95 rack and swap that one out. I already sold my factory rack so I'd have to find some. The steering angle when riding low is what worries me, I definitely want to do something to get the rack higher for sure. I guess I can keep notching, or go back to a 94-95 rack... but I can't imagine the rack itself is different.

I thought about maybe changing the hard line, I might be able to find lines off a 95 rack and swap that one out. I already sold my factory rack so I'd have to find some. The steering angle when riding low is what worries me, I definitely want to do something to get the rack higher for sure. I guess I can keep notching, or go back to a 94-95 rack... but I can't imagine the rack itself is different.

Yeah, before I saw you posted a pic of the old rack vs the new I was going to say I think the housings are pretty much identical and that the difference is in the guts of them.  And as it turns out, those lines.  Well at this point you might as well just buy some AN fittings and do braided lines.   :lol:  Just kidding.

Well, I think I figured out why the steering rack didn't fit, although I still have no idea how they expected this to work. I found an article introducing Team Z's new autocorss K member, comparing it to their existing drag race K member.

"One of the issues people have when lowering their street, road race or autocross car, is bump steer.  Realizing this, Team Z has reconfigured the steering geometry and moved the steering rack up an inch to correct this problem."

_dsc4344.jpg_dsc43653.jpg

So that's definitely the reason for the clearance issue. Not only is there gusseting in the way, but the rack mounts are 1" higher.

This makes me think that maybe even with my offset rack bushings locating the rack lower, when coupled with the rack mounts being 1" higher maybe the resulting placement isn't that bad?

I really want to know if anyone has successfully installed this K member in a car and didn't have any clearance issues between the rack and gusseting.

Well, I think I figured out why the steering rack didn't fit, although I still have no idea how they expected this to work. I found an article introducing Team Z's new autocorss K member, comparing it to their existing drag race K member.

"One of the issues people have when lowering their street, road race or autocross car, is bump steer.  Realizing this, Team Z has reconfigured the steering geometry and moved the steering rack up an inch to correct this problem."

_dsc4344.jpg_dsc43653.jpg

So that's definitely the reason for the clearance issue. Not only is there gusseting in the way, but the rack mounts are 1" higher.

This makes me think that maybe even with my offset rack bushings locating the rack lower, when coupled with the rack mounts being 1" higher maybe the resulting placement isn't that bad?

I really want to know if anyone has successfully installed this K member in a car and didn't have any clearance issues between the rack and gusseting.

Dan like I said earlier withy bumpsteer kit set up the Aarms sit perfect. I really dont think you will have an issue. I also have a spare 9495 rack laying around if you need or want to try swaping lines. My thought is as long as you clearanced the gussets your good.

dan when can we meet up so i can get that rack from you and work some magic on it ???? and maybe even pick up some ten holes ?

You have no idea how much I want those 10 holes out of the garage lol. What are you going to do to the rack? Or do you mean the driveshaft?

the same thing i did to your exhaust i think they" steering rack " need something if not coated or painted or pollshed ???? this weekend doesnt work but let me know when we can meet up at the sports bar

I had a long post written, but got distracted by work and the tab suspended, losing it.  I'll just leave this here:

You should have asked @tony before you took his quarter man.

Haha... but you sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. Like I told you, you are owed many many many times over. I really appreciate you getting the quarter for me! :drink_to_that:

the same thing i did to your exhaust i think they" steering rack " need something if not coated or painted or pollshed ???? this weekend doesnt work but let me know when we can meet up at the sports bar

You're right it needs a little sprucing up, I was planning to just shoot it with some silver. Polishing it would be a PITA because you'd have to remove all the lines, then the fittings would need to be re-sealed and all that noise.

You're more than welcome to polish up the driveshaft though lol. I'll see what next weekend looks like for me and get back to you.

• Moderators

You should have asked @tony before you took his quarter man.

Haha... but you sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. Like I told you, you are owed many many many times over. I really appreciate you getting the quarter for me! :drink_to_that:

LOL.  Not a problem at all!  You got me out of the house for the day!

Funny thing is there was a Probe GT nearby that I wanted to snag the wheels off and put on this car before I started cutting but I didn't have the tools to get them off the car.

• Moderators

^that woulda been fn funny lol.

You don't know how badly I wanted to do it, but it was fucking hot outside and I didn't want to spend a ton of time searching for the right tire iron.  We were already putting the manager of the place out for a saw, the 5-6 blades we went through, a generator, and a car lol.

You don't know how badly I wanted to do it, but it was fucking hot outside and I didn't want to spend a ton of time searching for the right tire iron.  We were already putting the manager of the place out for a saw, the 5-6 blades we went through, a generator, and a car lol.

Damn sounds like I owe that guy a thank you too lol

Dan are you hoping to get the new quarter on soon or is it going to wait on getting into a new house first?

I'll get started on it soon, a quarter won't stop me from getting the car somewhere if I'm not finished doing it. The house hunt isn't a hurried one so I'm not letting that scare me from working on the car. Basically just haven't gotten the new panel yet, but once I do I'll start working on that because it bothers me every time I walk in the garage and see that big eyesore lol.

soon? dan's never heard of her  <_<

j/k dan 

Yea I don't know "soon" very well, rarely visits my garage lol.

• Moderators

I'll get started on it soon, a quarter won't stop me from getting the car somewhere if I'm not finished doing it. The house hunt isn't a hurried one so I'm not letting that scare me from working on the car. Basically just haven't gotten the new panel yet, but once I do I'll start working on that because it bothers me every time I walk in the garage and see that big eyesore lol.

Think I've finally gathered enough cardboard to wrap it up... just need the time.  School is killing me.  

Think I've finally gathered enough cardboard to wrap it up... just need the time.  School is killing me.  

Not a problem Chris, whenever you get around to it is fine. I have plenty to keep me busy on the car anyway. :2thumb:

B-)

1429721557thehuntforredseptember.jpg

Hahahaha touche sir! I suppose I deserve that one lol.

The shockwaves are good to go, just working out specifics on a matching rear Ridetech adjustable shock to match the shockwaves before I order to save having to pay shipping twice. Josh is getting me a pair put together with a proper setup at the bottom to bolt right up on the IRS.

So I've made some progress over the past couple weeks. I have the Stifflers Spider Brace install almost finished, but I'm running into a major clearance issue between the rear two bars and my cutouts (once again my level of custom is biting me in the ass lol)... as in they are both in exactly the same place lol. I'm currently figuring out a solution to that. I'll post pics of the whole install once I figure that out.

I also got the @Carbon Driven dual gauge cluster bezel installed. There was a little figuring out to do to convert my 94-00 early-style defroster button to the later style 01-04 switch under the radio (more involved than just splicing some wires) but I got it all figured out and it works perfectly. I took very detailed pictures and will be posting a separate how-to thread on the conversion in the next few days when I get some time. I'm also going to be doing the same for the fog switch, and will add to the how-to thread. I bought a used fog switch on Fleabay so once I get that in I'll get that converted and do the write-up. :2thumb:

I also have a traction control button coming, thinking I might remove the TRAC OFF markings and rewire it to use for something else. Not sure what yet though.

But for now, a couple pictures :)

zcI6kU.jpg

fwFMjm.jpg

IIHidi.jpg

EDIT: DIY thread has been posted!

http://www.sn95source.com/topic/5287-diy-converting-early-style-defroster-switch-to-01-double-din/

So I've made some progress over the past couple weeks. I have the Stifflers Spider Brace install almost finished, but I'm running into a major clearance issue between the rear two bars and my cutouts (once again my level of custom is biting me in the ass lol)... as in they are both in exactly the same place lol. I'm currently figuring out a solution to that. I'll post pics of the whole install once I figure that out.

I also got the @Carbon Driven dual gauge cluster bezel installed. There was a little figuring out to do to convert my 94-00 early-style defroster button to the later style 01-04 switch under the radio (more involved than just splicing some wires) but I got it all figured out and it works perfectly. I took very detailed pictures and will be posting a separate how-to thread on the conversion in the next few days when I get some time. I'm also going to be doing the same for the fog switch, and will add to the how-to thread. I bought a used fog switch on Fleabay so once I get that in I'll get that converted and do the write-up. :2thumb:

I also have a traction control button coming, thinking I might remove the TRAC OFF markings and rewire it to use for something else. Not sure what yet though.

zcI6kU.jpg

fwFMjm.jpg

IIHidi.jpg

that looks fuukin nasty man!!! 

zcI6kU.jpg

fwFMjm.jpg

IIHidi.jpg

Awesome!!  :2thumb: