95riosnake

The Chronicles of 95riosnake's OCD Machine

• Moderators

Is anybody else just happy that this beautiful machine got to actually see the light of day and was at least out on the road even if it wasn't by its own power?!?!?

Dan like I told ya the other day. Try and stop letting him get to you. You still come out way on top and he's just a worthless pissant.

2 weeks is nothing compared to owning this new home for the rest of yalls lives!!!!

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

Heard. Not sure when it happened, but soon after my 30th birthday I decided that letting other people's problems run my life was a terrible idea. I decided to slow down and stop caring. Now I'm the asshole with the 400hp mustang in the slow lane doing 70 and not a care in the world. People try to do shit like Dan is describing... My response is "fuck off, you'll get yours."

Sorry to hear about the problems with the house. Like you said though, one step closer. When is this two week period? Or rather, when will you get to move into your freakin house?

Oh and that flatbed is awesome.

We have to be out of our house by Sept. 4, so there will be a two week gap until we close on the new house Sept. 18. Staying with my wife's parents will be fine, her dad and I both have a similar obsession with cars and her mom can cook like you wouldn't believe lol. The drive is going to suck, I'll have to be up at 4am, then won't make it home until 7-7:30pm. Oh well, I'll get through it...just not happy about it haha.

Is anybody else just happy that this beautiful machine got to actually see the light of day and was at least out on the road even if it wasn't by its own power?!?!?

Dan like I told ya the other day. Try and stop letting him get to you. You still come out way on top and he's just a worthless pissant.

2 weeks is nothing compared to owning this new home for the rest of yalls lives!!!!

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

Heard. Not sure when it happened, but soon after my 30th birthday I decided that letting other people's problems run my life was a terrible idea. I decided to slow down and stop caring. Now I'm the asshole with the 400hp mustang in the slow lane doing 70 and not a care in the world. People try to do shit like Dan is describing... My response is "fuck off, you'll get yours."

Yea guys my wife and I have come to terms with it. While we still think it's completely asinine that we have to do it, it won't be the end of the world. I'm trying to focus on the end result, having shop space, a big yard, privacy, etc. It will be worth it, just have to get past the rough transition.

As alternative attempt at positive spin, try to enjoy your brief two week vacation into the world of being debt free.  It was fun for me when I moved, even if it was only for two hours.

Also as a side note, your build thread pictures do not illustrate well how small your garage was.  It appears to be roughly the same size as the one at the first house I owned as a bachelor, narrow for a 2 car but extra deep and a low ceiling.  I have no clue how you've managed to accomplish what you have in that garage.  I HATED mine.  So, kudos to you, sir.

dan let me know if you need any help with anything

Thanks Troy I'll let you know.

As alternative attempt at positive spin, try to enjoy your brief two week vacation into the world of being debt free.  It was fun for me when I moved, even if it was only for two hours.

Also as a side note, your build thread pictures do not illustrate well how small your garage was.  It appears to be roughly the same size as the one at the first house I owned as a bachelor, narrow for a 2 car but extra deep and a low ceiling.  I have no clue how you've managed to accomplish what you have in that garage.  I HATED mine.  So, kudos to you, sir.

Yea I actually was just thinking that the other day, lol. Pretty much the only time I'm going to be debt free until I'm in my 50s at least...

The garage is definitely narrow, but the extra depth made it workable. That's not to say I liked working in it though. It was always a game of shuffling things around, and when the mustang never moved it was hard working on our daily drivers next to it. It's 17 x 26, and the new garage is a 24 x 27 so I'm looking forward to the extra space!

so i assume you wanted help moving in right?  or packing and moving out?

I'm not really sure what the plan is currently. I had to rent the storage through the end of Sept. so we can move into the new house as leisurely as we want it seems. The storage place has a 14' box truck you can rent for $20/day (6am to 10pm with no mileage limit, just have to replace fuel used) but they only have one truck so it's first come first serve. I got it booked for this Friday to use it to move a big chunk of stuff, mostly garage stuff like cabinets, machinery (drill presses, bandsaw, welder), tool box, shelving, etc. The problem I have is I don't know if the guy I thought could help me will be able to now. I doubt you'd be able to take off Friday on such short notice I'm guessing, but that is the current predicament lol. I'll have to get something figured out, maybe my dad can take a day off. We'll be moving the majority of the furniture out of our townhouse this coming weekend I think, but the 14' truck is booked through this weekend so I might have to wait till a day during the week and take a personal day to do it, rather than paying U Haul $100/day plus .59 a mile and fuel. I'm trying my best to avoid U Haul for the move-out, since I had to pay $500 for a month and a half storage rent.

Congrats on the house Dan and the little hassle you have to go through will all be forgotten once your in.

Yea that's what I'm trying to focus on, once we get in and start making the place ours I'll forget about the POS that lived there before us lol.

I'm not really sure what the plan is currently. I had to rent the storage through the end of Sept. so we can move into the new house as leisurely as we want it seems. The storage place has a 14' box truck you can rent for $20/day (6am to 10pm with no mileage limit, just have to replace fuel used) but they only have one truck so it's first come first serve. I got it booked for this Friday to use it to move a big chunk of stuff, mostly garage stuff like cabinets, machinery (drill presses, bandsaw, welder), tool box, shelving, etc. The problem I have is I don't know if the guy I thought could help me will be able to now. I doubt you'd be able to take off Friday on such short notice I'm guessing, but that is the current predicament lol. I'll have to get something figured out, maybe my dad can take a day off. We'll be moving the majority of the furniture out of our townhouse this coming weekend I think, but the 14' truck is booked through this weekend so I might have to wait till a day during the week and take a personal day to do it, rather than paying U Haul $100/day plus .59 a mile and fuel. I'm trying my best to avoid U Haul for the move-out, since I had to pay $500 for a month and a half storage rent.

Yea that's what I'm trying to focus on, once we get in and start making the place ours I'll forget about the POS that lived there before us lol.

i probably could if you really need the help but i do have a site visit that i should be here for.  

i probably could if you really need the help but i do have a site visit that i should be here for.  

I wouldn't want to put you out that much for sure. Hopefully my other buddy comes through and it won't be a problem :2thumb:

We have to be out of our house by Sept. 4, so there will be a two week gap until we close on the new house Sept. 18. Staying with my wife's parents will be fine, her dad and I both have a similar obsession with cars and her mom can cook like you wouldn't believe lol. The drive is going to suck, I'll have to be up at 4am, then won't make it home until 7-7:30pm. Oh well, I'll get through it...just not happy about it haha.

Yea guys my wife and I have come to terms with it. While we still think it's completely asinine that we have to do it, it won't be the end of the world. I'm trying to focus on the end result, having shop space, a big yard, privacy, etc. It will be worth it, just have to get past the rough transition.

Oh, okay so happening fairly soon then.  That's good.  It would be dreadful to have to wait around for months.  Going to have some long days ahead, but as they say, nothing that's worth it is easy.  Well I'm looking forward to seeing you guys get in there and settled down and progress with the car resuming.  It's like waiting for the fall season of a favorite TV show to start back up, haha.  

You and me both Blaise. I'm sure that I'll have a honey-do list when we get in the new house but once I get the new garage somewhat organized I will start working on the car again here and there, in between house stuff.

Ill be glad when you get into the new place to see some more awesomeness from you.  Glad there are some other bad ass builds on here to keep me occupied until then lol

Haha sorry for the hiatus. I've been so busy with this whole process lately, and even when I did have some time it was when we were showing the house so I couldn't make a mess and have the house smelling like ground metal and welding lol. I really am looking forward to the bigger garage at the new house. It's just a foot deeper but 7 feet wider... should suit me well until I can build a dedicated detached shop in a few years.

wow i didn't notice how much mulch you'll have to lay down.  that looks like 15-20 yards from those pictures.  your just going to LOVE doing all that 

wow i didn't notice how much mulch you'll have to lay down.  that looks like 15-20 yards from those pictures.  your just going to LOVE doing all that 

I'm probably going to ditch a good bit of the mulch. I like the looks of it but I don't really care to upkeep it all. I don't really see a problem with having grass around the tree trunks... lol. That shit along both sides of the driveway is most definitely going to disappear. The current owner owns a landscaping company so... he has a bit of a mulch hookup and obviously has taken full advantage of it lol.

Mowing shouldn't be too bad, my dad is giving me an extra Cub Cadet (old) tractor he has, along with a snow blade. I used to mow their 2 acre yard every week when I was a kid and I always liked doing it. It's a very relaxing thing for me for some reason.

that makes sense then having all that mulch around the trees.  although the area in the driveway might be a nice place to still mulch and put some plants in.  

that makes sense then having all that mulch around the trees.  although the area in the driveway might be a nice place to still mulch and put some plants in.  

Yea I'll keep some of it, like I said I do like how it looks... but I'm not going to want to buy and spread all that mulch every couple years.

Just hazarding a guess, I would suspect that the mulch is partly there because the grass doesn't grow that well directly under the trees and it serves to hide dead grass and dirt?  I would probably test an area before I took all of the mulch out.

I can totally relate to not wanting the mulch, though.  Had it at my first house and hated it.  A lot of expense at work every few years.  Thank God for having black rock at my current place.

• Moderators

My comment was not a dig in any fashion.  I would actually quite enjoy being out on the riding mower for a couple hours working on that lawn.  If I had a push mower as I do now... fuck that.

My dad owns a landscape company, and he uses dye on his mulch to keep it having a nice rich color so he doesn't have to replace it as often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The dog is going to enjoy having that much yard to run around on.

Doesn't look to be too bad either with mowing.  Especially with a wide cut tractor.  

I like the mulch personally.  Looks good, makes mowing easier, and way less weed trimming to do.  Of course here we can get mulch for $20-$35 a scoop depending on grind and color.  I'd rather spend a day or 2 mulching than every week to weed eat all that.

hey if you wanted grass in the desert of phoenix in summer you had to plant Bermuda.  Gotta love keeping it out of all the places you don't want it.  Pull up a small piece here and suddenly 3ft away the root of it comes up as well.

So I finally got back on this thing over the long weekend and finished up the wiring. As you might remember, I had mentioned that I was going to run the 2 gauge battery wire up into a distribution block, then run separate wires to the fuse box, alternator and starter from there. To refresh your memory, I picked up this spread of parts to make it happen.

8qszp.jpg

I brainstormed where to locate the distribution block for quite a while and ended up deciding to mount it near the passenger side lower corner of the radiator. I wanted it to be somewhat easily accessible within a reasonable amount of time so I didn't want to mount it in the fender well, and there's already too much under the hood so that was out too. Since I was going to be mounting it where it would be indirectly exposed to splashes of water here and there, I decided to make a splash shield to keep water from getting to the connections.

Made a couple quick cardboard mockups to decide on a design and ended up with this. The top cover slides down to cover the distribution block, then the allen bolt locks it in place.

sjtt.jpg

5fbgw.jpg

gx08.jpg

Next I fabbed the box out of some sheet aluminum. You can't see it in this picture, but the top two corners are tig welded to seal them up.

32ei.jpg

8yv44.jpg

As you can see, it fits nice and tight, I even had to notch where I rolled the bottom edge of the shield lol.

ahrrc.jpg

sk7a.jpg

With the box built, next I had to figure out how the hell to mount it, lol. After a bunch of head scratching I decided to weld a steel bracket onto the bottom of the ABS pump bracket, then attach a piece of aluminum to that, then mount the box to it.

qkll.jpg

3n0g.jpg

x4jx.jpg

Then came the long process of running 4 gauge wires to the fuse box, alternator and starter. Sounds easy enough, but the alternator wire is snaked behind the blower bracket, heater lines and blower piping. Then to anyone who has long tubes and a stock K member, I invite you to notice how hard it is to get to the terminal for the starter wire, lol. Add those things up and a couple hours later I had new wires routed and sheathed in more beautiful Techflex. A nice added benefit is I now have an open 4 gauge slot if I ever need to power something else in the future :2thumb: You can also see the 200 amp circuit breaker I added to the battery cable.

bhal.jpg

eycwb.jpg

All covered up nicely with the shroud!

h18s2.jpg

Also added another 200 amp circuit breaker next to the battery. With a circuit breaker at both ends of the cable, if anything ever happens to the cable under the car, they'll pop and stop anything catastrophic from happening. :2thumb:

ips9q.jpg

Not to needlessly bump a thread, just curious if you could share where you purchased the components for your battery relocation?  I'm trying to assemble a pile of parts to relocate the battery in my car this winter.

Thanks Brian, that would be one hell of a fun shop to work at lol!

Yea it's a nice simple and clean way to connect everything. Here's the link:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_36189_Xscorpion-AGU3044P.html

Here's all the fuse blocks made by the same company (xscorpion), in case you need different input/output gauges or quantities:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_f373-1309_m72_i205_xscorpion-power-distribution-blocks.html

Thanks!

Awesome Troy, we'll figure out when/where later in the week :2thumb:

@Tabres I believe he got most the pieces here

@Tabres I believe he got most the pieces here

Yup, also got any and all Tech Flex from wirecare.com and the through-panel bulkhead connector I used through the floor for the power wire was from http://www.ceautoelectricsupply.com/bulkheadconnectors.html

Pretty sure I got all the cables through Sonic Electronix also, memory is a little hazy since it's been a little while.