95riosnake

The Chronicles of 95riosnake's OCD Machine

• Moderators

Nah there's no drum style parking brake hats for the IRS, problem being room. There's a guy that makes a setup for factory five cobras but it pushes the wheels out almost an inch... hell no to that lol. I definitely want a parking brake because the thought of it somehow jumping out of gear and rolling away when parked makes me want to throw up...and even though the chances of that happening are slim, I know my luck. The other option is wheel chocks...haha not my style. And I can't wait to see how the car stops either! I still need to add a prop valve to dial down the rears a bit, and I'm still figuring out what I need to do master cylinder-wise, Tom seems to think a GT master might be the ticket.

Want me to throw my GT master in the box I keep not sending up to you?

Forgot to grab it last night, but your box is going out today since I have to get Christmas shit on the way.

Now that's the Christmas spirit! lol

Sounds good!

..............is it done yet.........[emoji39]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have Lokar universal parking brake cables on the way, once I get those I can finish mocking up the parking brake brackets then get the files sent for CNC'ing :2thumb:

I'm talking bout the whole car.........

...........so let me ask again......is it done yet?!? [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The technical answer to that question would be... It will never really be "done" lol. At best, it gets to a point where it can be driven until the next phase of unnecessary things. Lol

Hello, been stalking your build since the last time I seem a photoshoot of it (idk you were in a parking garage) anyways I'm a new edge guy but absolutely love your work. It's a Damn shame they didn't roll off the line half as good as this car.

Way to go sir. I cannot wait to see this phase complete. And with that said, I cannot believe the hell you are going through with the brakes and air ride. One would think an ultra common platform would have all parts available, and further that they would want to show off their work, instead of letting a customer fix their problems.

Take care, hope it goes good, if you ever sell it call me... Lol

Hello, been stalking your build since the last time I seem a photoshoot of it (idk you were in a parking garage) anyways I'm a new edge guy but absolutely love your work. It's a Damn shame they didn't roll off the line half as good as this car.

Way to go sir. I cannot wait to see this phase complete. And with that said, I cannot believe the hell you are going through with the brakes and air ride. One would think an ultra common platform would have all parts available, and further that they would want to show off their work, instead of letting a customer fix their problems.

Take care, hope it goes good, if you ever sell it call me... Lol

Thanks! You've been following for a while then lol. Yea I've taken my capacity for patience to entirely new levels with this phase of the build, trying not to sweat it too much and just stay focused on moving forward with whatever I have in hand and worry about the rest later. :2thumb: I've learned my lesson to not depend on others unless absolutely necessary. The car will need a little paint here and there at the end of this phase of the build, I've already been starting to look into who I could take the car to that I wouldn't end up regretting. I appreciate the encouraging words, I sometimes wonder why I can't just leave this car alone lol.

I've been working on the car quite a bit recently, just holding off on posting an update until I have a good amount of progress to post at once!

I've been on svtp for years, so that's likely where I've seen much of your work, either from you or copied. But I've loved the car even with the 00 R wheels. I was shocked to find it on here, how clean it actually was in person, and to find out that not only is it a never ending project, it's an epic never ending project.

As far as encouraging words, I was a lightning guy, parts were hell and high water with vendors that make me sick, so with all that said, you got a great attitude about things and I have no doubt this is by far the most meticulously well built 94-98 Mustang on the planet. You waiting for the proper parts through the build, or simply making your own stands out. I still am floored with some of the drama you have needlessly dealt with. Threads like this of this integrity and comprehensive coverage are few and far between now.

So.. Lastly I would like to thank you for this thread. Many people see a thread like this and have no idea the work involved with it, having a full time job, building the car, having some sort of life and managing to sleep. Hats off.

-Joe

I've been on svtp for years, so that's likely where I've seen much of your work, either from you or copied. But I've loved the car even with the 00 R wheels. I was shocked to find it on here, how clean it actually was in person, and to find out that not only is it a never ending project, it's an epic never ending project.

As far as encouraging words, I was a lightning guy, parts were hell and high water with vendors that make me sick, so with all that said, you got a great attitude about things and I have no doubt this is by far the most meticulously well built 94-98 Mustang on the planet. You waiting for the proper parts through the build, or simply making your own stands out. I still am floored with some of the drama you have needlessly dealt with. Threads like this of this integrity and comprehensive coverage are few and far between now.

So.. Lastly I would like to thank you for this thread. Many people see a thread like this and have no idea the work involved with it, having a full time job, building the car, having some sort of life and managing to sleep. Hats off.

-Joe

Wow thanks man, I really appreciate that. It does take a lot of effort to document doing all this. I'd say I spend about an hour and a half to 2 hours each time I post an update resizing photos, hosting, writing up descriptions, etc. I never documented anything for many years and always had the thought in the back of my head that I should be. I decided to finally start doing it right after reading some great build threads over the past few years. I've actually found that it makes me step up the way I do things, keeping things clean and organized while working. I've also noticed that brief pause to take photos actually gives me a second to review everything I've done and make sure I'm going about it all the right way. Basically, it takes a little extra time to document things but it has actually helped me be more deliberate in the process. 

I used to post on SVTP quite a bit, but have moved away from it in favor of posting here almost exclusively. SVTP is still an awesome site, and I check out the market and pics/vids often but there's a feeling there that if you aren't bringing 650-700+ rwhp you're sitting at the kid's table lol. I do appreciate the caliber of cars there, both Ford and other makes but I feel like a little fish in a BIG pond there. There's a very tight-knit feel here that I prefer, and people are respectful of each other. I don't mind constructive criticism, but on bigger sites like SVTP you often see people saying things just to be assholes, not really interested in that. This thread will be continuing to progress until the end of time pretty much, because I doubt there will ever be an end to building this car, lol. 

Ha I should have mentioned I USED to hang out on svtp and have been for years. But lately I agree 100% I can't really stand the crowd that became over there. It was really ran like a dictatorship right around the time I switched usernames and became a ghost on the site.

Anyways take care I'll be sure to keep following.

-Joe

I don't mind constructive criticism, but on bigger sites like SVTP you often see people saying things just to be assholes, not really interested in that.

They were mean about my cake you were nice.  This is why I like Dan :lol:

Any updates?  I was creeping on instagram this weekend and saw you must have been out in the garage playing with your car a bit.

The problem with svtp is half are 50+ douchers who of course live in Texas and have all the fucking money you can imagine, and the other half is a blend of people who have never even drove an svt, and those who think they know it all from having 96 gt that was "kinda the same as a cobra" but always faster. Lol. Anytime a gt pops up its a cobra killer..... Ah I could hate svtp all day

They were mean about my cake you were nice.  This is why I like Dan :lol:

Any updates?  I was creeping on instagram this weekend and saw you must have been out in the garage playing with your car a bit.

Haha yea, I personally think any time a significant other takes the time to show interest in your car hobby, it's pretty awesome...so to nitpick details is ridiculous.

I've been working on the air ride management installation and working on the parking brake situation, making good progress so far, I was just waiting to get a bit further through before posting an update. :2thumb:

The problem with svtp is half are 50+ douchers who of course live in Texas and have all the fucking money you can imagine, and the other half is a blend of people who have never even drove an svt, and those who think they know it all from having 96 gt that was "kinda the same as a cobra" but always faster. Lol. Anytime a gt pops up its a cobra killer..... Ah I could hate svtp all day

Yea it's an odd group of guys there. You have a group with mega money, mega horsepower and a God complex, people who have slow cars and big mouths, and a very select few sprinkled in who are level headed and have normal budgets invested in their cars lol.

Never cease to amaze me. I love your design for both calipers. Gotta get me some of those... and the brakes too, lol.

Thanks Sean, the brackets are being CNC'ed at the machinist currently. He already has the primary caliper brackets finished, but I just sent him the dxf files for the parking brake brackets at the end of last week so he's gonna hold off sending the first pair of brackets and just send everything at once. He's a CNC machinist and does this stuff on the side so it takes a little bit of time but I don't mind. When I'm used to waiting over a year, or two, for things these days, 2-3 weeks is no sweat lol.

I've been plugging away at the details of running wiring for the air ride management, mounting the components, etc. Also had to figure out how to adapt Lokar universal parking brake cables to the factory linkage but I got that figured out last weekend. I have a bunch of pics of what I've been up to but I was just waiting to get a little further along on things before I post an update :2thumb:

kinda bummed that you haven't messaged me asking how to do any of the air ride stuff :( is there anything i can do to a car better than you man dam lololol.

this thread alone is inspiration to any sn95 owner. scratch that...inspiration for any car owner.

kinda bummed that you haven't messaged me asking how to do any of the air ride stuff :( is there anything i can do to a car better than you man dam lololol.

this thread alone is inspiration to any sn95 owner. scratch that...inspiration for any car owner.

Haha don't worry Tony, I'm guessing I'll have some questions for you. I haven't gotten into the meat of the wiring yet so I might have a couple question marks when it comes to wiring compressors and such.

And thanks man, I'm glad to hear you guys enjoy the thread!

I was going to wait a bit longer before posting an update, but decided maybe I should break it up a bit rather than having to post like 75 pictures at once when that time comes lol.

So here's a bit of what I've been up to. I started getting the Ridetech E3 management installed, and in turn, I had to get the components mounted first. That way I can route the harnesses nicely (I plan to shorten them where needed to avoid bundles of extra harness). Here's what arrived from @Carbon Driven

FOTCI0.jpg

ExuoG7.jpg

I decided to mount the display/controller where the factory dash clock is, so this clock was slated for a date with my Dremel.

0safUr.jpg

A little trimming

sAoXEG.jpg

Made a face plate to mount the display to (I later decided to flatten the top edge to keep the height down)

hLGLiH.jpg

y0tUi5.jpg

Epoxied the face plate to the trimmed clock pod. Also opened up the top of the pod for access to the screws and to access the plug on the back.

1MvaKu.jpg

NG6nBl.jpg

This gives you an idea where I'm heading with this.

g4xcsE.jpg

Realized that it was gonna be more work than it was worth to keep the two corners of the pod, so I did a little more trimming...

xfAqsd.jpg

...and made another face plate layer.

YjRf5s.jpg

I wanted to keep the same look with the bezel around the edge, so I laser cut a bunch of pieces to start building up a bezel. Think of it like a topographic map.

hHkn0g.jpg

E0eCbL.jpg

3hSMdi.jpg

After some shaping with the sander, some Tiger Hair filler and a bit of bondo, it was starting to look like something.

17f6mT.jpg

Glued it on

e1vnwY.jpg

GEpsBI.jpg

Blended it into the remaining portion of the factory bezel.

CLUQAE.jpg

Then it was fiberglass time, so I took it to work to take advantage of the down draft table rather than stinking up my entire house. To make the dome of the pod, a scrap piece of fleece was stretched over the whole thing with some clamps.

5zzwRT.jpg

wEj0sN.jpg

Mixed up fiberglass resin and brushed it on

psHc9J.jpg

EMCflb.jpg

Ended up mixing a bit too much resin which hardened in the mixing cup, thought this was kinda funny lol.

sr5ihO.jpg

xuR4O9.jpg

In case anyone wondered how I domed the fleece...

SBJwhH.jpg

...ziplock bag stuffed with pillow batting :2thumb:

2WVHWr.jpg

After a LOT of trimming and sanding, then a coat of Tiger Hair, it's looking pretty good. It still needs more shaping and smoothing but I'm pretty happy with it so far.

RBCeoG.jpg

OTv6RU.jpg

TQ5LO0.jpg

I needed a break from wearing a dust mask and cleaning the garage over and over again, so I turned my sights to getting the valves mounted. But first, I couldn't stand the mess of wires on top of them.

5h5fVw.jpg

I marked all the wires, pulled the plugs off and separated/untangled them before sleeving them in Tech Flex. Looking nice and tidy now.

Jz7sKB.jpg

Made an aluminum bracket to mount the ECU in place, then started mocking up a cardboard mount for the valves. I always try to use existing mounting points whenever possible, so the ECU mount and the valve mount both use existing mounting points. I ended up only having to drill one hole for each bracket :2thumb:

SgXBoi.jpg

qg7KFm.jpg

Transferred the pattern to a piece of scrap steel I had. Luckily the piece already had a bend so I took advantage of that to save myself some work.

MNaWsj.jpg

4Vgjfi.jpg

The Wilton vise got its first battle scar :( haha just kidding, it is what it is. I didn't restore it just to look at it!

veZAoU.jpg

P09VQe.jpg

mO35O4.jpgkwwQO5.jpg

The valves didn't come with any mounting hardware, but I found that a 5mm allen fits perfectly into the recessed holes so I got a couple long ones to mount the valves to the bracket.

3dIIqy.jpg

Shot the bracket with some metallic gray that very closely matches the powder coat color of a lot of the stuff under the hood.

AncLBc.jpg

LQDLLZ.jpg

0ITSXC.jpg

Mounted in the car and ready to go! Planning to work through running more wires tomorrow.

2xajbq.jpg

looking great as always , now if you could just get your exhaust back

Yea some dude in Altoona has been holding it hostage ;) lol

does that mean the shockwaves are out or just tired of waiting?

Not yet, I was talking to Josh from Ridetech and apparently they ended up designing a new top caster camber plate for them. Originally they weren't going to include one but this is supposed to be a really nice piece with a LOT of adjustability. I've been told they look incredible too. I'm just getting this management stuff in the car because the stuff I bought from @Carbon Driven's Shelby had to have a couple connectors cut when he uninstalled it. He was nice enough to send all new connectors to replace what was cut, as well as the terminals and lended me tools needed (tool for inserting/removing the terminals from the connectors and the special crimpers for the terminals). I don't want to be keeping his tools too long so I wanted to get this done and get them back to him asap.

Dan, after reading some on your build thread for several hours at work tonight I can say "wow, your car is awesome"... But now i just want to go light mine on fire lmao!

Haha thanks man, I appreciate it! But don't do that, lol.

Outstanding, as always!  That rear seat delete seems like its turning out to be one of the best things ever as far as keeping your installs clean.  Turned out to be a great area to hide so many different components.

It looks like the E3 controller has a bit of a layback in the pod you made?  Is that going to cause any issues viewing angle wise when its mounted in the car and your seated and belted in?  I'm just thinking about like a digital watch for example, sometimes if you don't look at them straight-on/from the correct angle it can distort what you see.

That bezel is awesome dan! Why did you decide to use the OEM over say the autometer double bezel or a saleen gauge bezel? (the saleen bezel was probably price)

I did consider the Saleen bezel but yea, a little pricey when I would have to modify it to fit anyway. As far as the Autometer pod, I've found through a few experiences that I love their gauges and hate their pods. The fit and finish of their pods (at least for our cars) is always sub-par for me, so I felt like I could make exactly what I want and have it fit perfectly instead. Sucks that it's a lot of work but oh well lol. I need to figure out how to texture the pod to mimic the finish on the dash still. I've been browsing the internet for a good how to but haven't found anything good yet.

Outstanding, as always!  That rear seat delete seems like its turning out to be one of the best things ever as far as keeping your installs clean.  Turned out to be a great area to hide so many different components.

It looks like the E3 controller has a bit of a layback in the pod you made?  Is that going to cause any issues viewing angle wise when its mounted in the car and your seated and belted in?  I'm just thinking about like a digital watch for example, sometimes if you don't look at them straight-on/from the correct angle it can distort what you see.

Oh it definitely is, it gives me a TON of room to hide wiring and components, plus I can keep everything neat and organized in there.

It does look like the pod tilts the E3 display back a bit, but that's a bit of an illusion. Where the pod snaps into the dash, the dash is sloped downward toward the vents. When you snap the pod down into the dash, the display is pretty close to vertical. Good looking out though, I would be beyond bummed to do all that work, power up the display and discover I can't see shit, lol.

so now you need to smooth out under the seat area and paint it so that you can cut a piece of plexiglass and put that in the place of the seat panel. that way you can actually see that stuff under there.

so now you need to smooth out under the seat area and paint it so that you can cut a piece of plexiglass and put that in the place of the seat panel. that way you can actually see that stuff under there.

Haha no thanks, I don't need to add any more to the snowball lol.

I spent a few hours on the wiring today. When I was posting the update yesterday, I kept looking at how things were laid out and routed in the rear seat area and couldn't shake the feeling that I had never liked it. So I got to work changing that.

Before, the amp for the component speakers was proving to be in the way, and I always disliked how the wiring was draped over to plug into it. I also wasn't feeling seeing all the wiring running around the opening.

dwKBAb.jpg

After: I moved the amp and mounted it to the support leg of the RSD bottom, then tucked the wiring back under the edge of the opening. In my defense, when I first ran the wires I didn't have a compact right angle drill, but now I do. So mounting the clamps underneath was a piece of cake this time around. I also flipped the Ridetech ECU around so the ports for the valve harnesses would be on that side.

3fOXUe.jpg

Next up was tackling some wiring harnesses. First up was the harness for the pressure switches. All of these harnesses are really long so they can suit the needs of a wide variety of installs, but all of my components are close together. I hate bundles of wire, so I shortened the harness to a better length.

Like I said, super long:

XLttZ0.jpg

Got out the soldering station and got to work.

NlmZsw.jpg

B3gkdv.jpg

And the finished product, just the right length. One wire is longer because it has to go back to the pressure sensor on the tank.

yWKv07.jpg

The harness for the valves was next.

2f4RFb.jpg

A tiny bit shorter now, lol.

Q0AUKa.jpg

yYbN08.jpg

I was really on a roll, and thought I might have all the wiring done today... that feeling didn't last long. The E3 system has an optional wiring diagram for running dual compressors, but it is assuming you have two compressors that you bought from them in a kit. I'm using two Viair 480c compressors, which are pretty beefy units. They came with their own wiring diagram, which contradicts the Ridetech diagram in a couple areas. So I'm gonna have to scan the Viair diagram and email it to Josh at Ridetech and see what RT says.

Since the progress had come to a halt today, I decided to throw the display pod in place on the dash to give you guys an idea how it looks. Like I said before, it still needs more shaping. I think it's still a little bulky in a couple places so I'll be sanding a lot more on it until I'm happy with it. Anyway, I like how it looks overall. I think it'll blend into the interior pretty well once it's black. 

sdu6SL.jpg

nlgdKX.jpg

k5TzJF.jpg

That's all for now folks :)

TWO THOUGHTS CAN YOU WRAP THE POD IN CARBOM AND CAN YOU LINE THE WELL UNDER BATTERY WITH CARPET ?

I thought about wrapping the pod in carbon, it's still a consideration if I can't find a good way to give it a texture to match the dash.

I could probably line the well with carpet but I'm never going to have the access panel open unless I'm working on something in there, so it would be a waste of effort really.

so are you suuuurrreee you don't have any ??'s about any of the air ride stuff man :(

lol, i am soooo lovin' the digital display you made there man awesome! and shortening that harness vs what i woulda done (rolled it up into a big ass bundle :P ) is also cool!

keep in mind that unless you cut into the air line and use elbow fittings you won't be able to do any sharp turns with it. i see where you have your valve block and it may need some elbows....the least amount of fittings the better i always say. i'll shut up now and realize you are badass in car building lol