95riosnake

The Chronicles of 95riosnake's OCD Machine

that first ride and the first time you air it out is definitely a good time.

unless you're like me and white knuckling the steering wheel waiting for something to break, leak, scrape etc lolol. it's funner after you've put a few miles on it and know its all good 

You inspire everyone Dan!

http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/98799-93-Nissan-Skyline-GTS-T-Period-Correct-Build/page3

Post #60

"Since the battery is tucked away in the cabin, I machined a bracket to fit where the rear wiper was mounted and bought some remote battery terminals. This will allow the car to be boosted / trickle charged without going into the interior. I got this idea from 95riosnake's build on here (so hats off to you)"

I may want to use the idea too, lol.

I love that dude's build, and I was pretty excited to see when he said he got an idea from me. I posted my build over on Pro-touring a while back and occasionally pop in and do a progress dump into the thread. A few guys sometimes comment but I don't get much interest in the car on there because it isn't a first gen camaro lol.

Small update (but no pics yet sorry). Adter 13+ months I finally received the rear Wilwood kit. As exciting as that sounds, my mood has dropped to my normal level of disappointment.

1) After stating at least half a dozen times that I needed drilled/slotted rotor rings to match my front brakes, I opened the box and found plain rotors. Waited 3+ weeks and finally got the correct ones. Assembled and safety wired them.

2) Went to mount the calipers and found that the supplied brackets, which look like a 5th grader made them, do not fit the caliper bolt spacing by over 1/8". He told me previously that his water jet guy was backed up and said he would make them himself, but I had assumed this would involve actual machine work. One bracket is different than the other when comparing hole locations, by about 3/16". I mocked them up without the bolts and found that even if the bolts would have gone in, the caliper wouldn't have sat down far enough because it hits the upper control arm ear. Last but not least, the caliper mounting holes are designed for a 7/16 bolt, but the bracket is designed for and comes with 5/16" bolts... this makes absolutely no sense to me.

The company has been made aware of all the above and at this point the plan is to send the brackets back to him with marks on them where the holes need to be. A slight trimming of the upper control arm ear provided enough room to clear the calipers. However, knowing full well it will probably take another 4-5 months for new brackets I have taken matters into my own hands and drew up my own brackets in CAD and through @69clark I am hooked up with a guy who is going to CNC new brackets to my specs. These will be absolutely perfect, done dealing with bullshit. I'll approach the company that put the brake kit together with an offer of covering my additional CNC costs in return for the CAD drawings of the brackets the kit should be supplied with, but I'm not going to hold my breath. I laser cut two mock ups of the brackets a few minutes ago and will test fit several iterations throughout the week to ensure fitment before sending the files out for machining.

Consider the above a window into my world with this car the past 2 years. :angry:

Thanks @Yeahloh95 but I already have a guy lined up to CNC the new bracket

@69clark I'll post some pics later on... I was beyond bummed yesterday at what I was working with (as I'm sure you remember from me blowing your phone up with my rant lol). Feeling much better now that I'm doing it right, gonna cost me a little extra cash but I'm not putting the stability of my rear brakes in the hands of some janky ass brackets.

I don't know what I would do in your position.  I wouldn't have the foggiest how to even fix the brackets, let alone design new ones like you have.

Trust me I don't want to make new brackets, but there's just a point where I'm done waiting on people.

Figures I took some time off from working on the car and I finally come back to it only to get kicked square in the dick immediately lol.

• Moderators

Trust me I don't want to make new brackets, but there's just a point where I'm done waiting on people.

Figures I took some time off from working on the car and I finally come back to it only to get kicked square in the dick immediately lol.

Oh, I understand the sentiment.  What I was saying is you have the wherewithal and means to do so.  I, however, would still be standing in the garage crying with my dick my hand.

How the hell did it take that guy 13 months to "engineer" that bracket when you've designed and are prototyping them during your personal time in what sounds like weeks at most...  Freaking unbelievable, dude.

Real sorry to hear about your struggles.

Welp when it rains it pours. Very sorry to hear Dan, incompetent people really make me angry. I honestly would just request them reimburse you for the extra time and effort you had to put in and fuck giving them your CAD drawings. Let them figure it out, retards.

What a kick in the dick. This is why I can't trust any company to do work anymore. It really seems like nobody gives a shit about what they're doing anymore. How hard can it be to produce quality work in a decent time frame when this is what you're supposed to be doing for a living.

Dan's reaction as he got his parts.

stephen-colbert-report-excited.gif

Dan's reaction as he tries to install his parts

OTxFC.gif

Yea that's pretty much the truth lol. I was honestly so angry and depressed at the same time, I can't even put it to words.

How the hell did it take that guy 13 months to "engineer" that bracket when you've designed and are prototyping them during your personal time in what sounds like weeks at most...  Freaking unbelievable, dude.

Real sorry to hear about your struggles.

Not even weeks. I spent two hours mocking up and making some measurements yesterday, then about 45 mins today drawing a new bracket and laser cutting a plastic mock up bracket to test fit. Another 15 minutes talking to the CNC guy and I'm at about 3 hours total. smh

Welp when it rains it pours. Very sorry to hear Dan, incompetent people really make me angry. I honestly would just request them reimburse you for the extra time and effort you had to put in and fuck giving them your CAD drawings. Let them figure it out, retards.

Yea I'm just one of those guys that likes to give people the benefit of the doubt. If it'll make him more likely to refund some money I'm fine with giving him the drawings. I am most definitely one that HATES drama, and this is starting to head down that road so I want to detour back to big brakes and air ride happiness asap.

What a kick in the dick. This is why I can't trust any company to do work anymore. It really seems like nobody gives a shit about what they're doing anymore. How hard can it be to produce quality work in a decent time frame when this is what you're supposed to be doing for a living.

That's what floors me... I couldn't imagine shipping out garbage and calling that my legacy. I always do as good of a job as possible on everything I do in life... I guess some people just aren't wired that way.

That sucks...  I have a place locally that has a water jet and a laser cutter that I have used and thought the prices were fairly reasonable if his guy falls through.  They made my fender badges.

I'll keep that in mind, thanks Scott.

every single one of us would have been fired by now for the shit job being done.  dont understand it

Some pics:

The bracket

bjlpPK.jpg

5Kxubq.jpg

Holes in different locations from one bracket to the next

TMJ2KT.jpg

Misalignment with caliper mount holes, and undersized bolts.

PtWPO9.jpg

tumblr_lm2lufG9371qii6tmo1_500_zps40d616

you were not kidding about a 5th grader making these

every single one of us would have been fired by now for the shit job being done.  dont understand it

tumblr_lm2lufG9371qii6tmo1_500_zps40d616

you were not kidding about a 5th grader making these

My favorite part is the hole drilled so close to the edge of the material that the hole is actually breaking through the side...

@95riosnake that's seriously what they sent you!?!?!?!?!  WHAT ... A ... FUCKING ... JOKE!!!!  Having worked in the metal fab business for countless years, I'm officially embarrassed and disgusted for whomever made those.  Seriously looks like a child made those.

• Moderators

I told Dan when he sent them to me this morning that I am pretty sure I could have made better and I have no metal fab skills whatsoever (Rich can attest to this).  How fucking hard is it to trace out the caliper on a piece of paper, then trace out the control arm, add a couple of hole, and clean it up?

Here's today's progress. Drew up a rough draft of what I need, sent this to the CNC guy for a price quote. He came back with a reasonable price so I paid him in advance because he's knocking off $50 for Cyber Monday and Tom @69clark vouched for him being a good dude. 

c1A2c0.jpg

Laser cutter doing work. Cut 3 layers of 1/8" polystyrene to simulate 3/8" thick material.

OKJBOu.jpg

4Xgr7C.jpg

sonvDV.jpg

Glued them together, then tapped the two caliper mount holes for 7/16-14. Will test fit this tonight or tomorrow night, depends when I have time to get down to the garage...then modify my drawing as needed and repeat.

cDIZmX.jpg

jesus THOSE are the brackets!?  I mean I had to make my own bracket for the upper alt bracket out of 1/4" stainless which looks almost the same only there were 3 holes instead of 4 and there was no way I would have been happy if it looked like that when I was done.  It doesn't take that much time to do it right...  He obviously not only has not idea what he is doing but also who his customer was if he thought, well anyone but let alone YOU would take those as acceptable.

There was some sexy speedwire though!

Lies! I see no speedwire :(

Haha safety wire... And I was holding off posting the progress pics of the brakes until I can start making some progress lol. I should have my mock up phase done in the next couple days or so and will most likely have something on its way to me next week. Stay tuned gents.

jesus THOSE are the brackets!? I mean I had to make my own bracket for the upper alt bracket out of 1/4" stainless which looks almost the same only there were 3 holes instead of 4 and there was no way I would have been happy if it looked like that when I was done. It doesn't take that much time to do it right... He obviously not only has not idea what he is doing but also who his customer was if he thought, well anyone but let alone YOU would take those as acceptable.

Yea I was extremely disappointed to say the least. Even if they had fit, I still doubt I would have run them on my car, if anything purely from a safety standpoint, not to mention there's nothing about those brackets that fit into this build.

@ttocs, I think the term "pro" is subjective these days, and used far too loosely, but yes he's supposedly one. 

Anyway, great news. I test fit the laser cut mock up bracket and it fits PERFECT. I don't mean just close...perfect. I guess I should open a shop and start taking orders lol.

Here's a teaser pic for you all. Once I have the real brackets in hand and some new grade 8 hardware, etc. I'll drop a proper update in here.

7mqvwd.jpg

To lighten the mood a bit further, I'd like to contrast the sloppiness I've shown you guys today on an expensive order with what I think is evidence of the polar opposite still in existence, and for a far less costly order to boot. I'm not sure if any of you have discovered www.build-threads.com, but it is easily in my top 5 most visited sites. It's run by a super nice dude named Anth from Australia, and he posts some of the hottest build threads on the planet with a nice, thoughtfully written narrative, link to the original thread, etc.

Anyway, he had a deal about a month ago selling a pack of build-threads decals, and being a huge fan of his, I shot paypal his way without hesitation. Part of the promotion was that he would do a sketch of your car with each order. Being an artist myself, I thought this was a super cool idea. He kept me informed when he ran short on a couple of the decals and had to wait for another order to come in. Not a big deal after all. The envelope showed up today in the mail, it brought a smile to my face and restored a bit of my faith that there are still people in the world that take pride in what they do, even when there isn't a bunch of money involved. Here's a pic of the sketch and the decals, I think the sketch is pretty damn good. :2thumb: I definitely recommend checking out his site when you get a chance, you won't regret it.

3ZtFfF.jpg