95riosnake

The Chronicles of 95riosnake's OCD Machine

I'd like to tuck about half of the tire sidewall, but I want the quarter lip to be flush on the sidewall with about 1/8" of space between. Not the traditional tuck like on pro touring muscle cars where there's like 2" between the sidewall and quarter lip, and also not flush like the quarter resting on the sidewall, if that makes sense lol. Kinda going for a middle ground between the two. :2thumb:

sorry for the irs newb question....but can you play around with camber on those? if so would it be the same way you do with the front? like at the top of the shock towers somehow? again...sorry for my newbness :/

sorry for the irs newb question....but can you play around with camber on those? if so would it be the same way you do with the front? like at the top of the shock towers somehow? again...sorry for my newbness :/

Yea you adjust the camber using a cam bolt where the upper control arm attaches to the knuckle. I'll probably dial in a little negative camber to help with the clearance issue at the rear of the lip, I just don't want to do too much and start wearing my tires out faster than necessary.

Here's the bolt I'm talking about.

xndn.jpg

man that would be nice!!! one thing i've always hated is an sn with a big drop having the rears sit straight af while the fronts have a slight camber. be nice to match the -camber at least.

i have thought about it dan i think you should do the flare now then only have to paint the quarters once , you know that shop close to you could knock them  out and  then the rear is done ... i know you dont want to add any more but .......

i have thought about it dan i think you should do the flare now then only have to paint the quarters once , you know that shop close to you could knock them  out and  then the rear is done ... i know you dont want to add any more but .......

It wouldn't just be flaring the quarters, it would be flaring the quarters, flaring the front fenders, smoothing the engine bay, painting the whole car, widening all 4 wheels, powder coating all 4 wheels, 4 new tires, and labor. If anyone would like to donate about $8k+ to me I'll call up that shop and make the appointment lol. I can't do just the quarters because I think a wide body rear with a standard body up front is too unbalanced aesthetically. I either go all in on a project or I don't go in at all.

The problem is I've dumped so much cash into this car over the past 2 years I think it would make most people sick. My wallet is saying the flood gates need to close and they are going to have to. I wasn't planning to do the wide body yet because of the financial aspect as well as the fact that I will have to change the design in my head about 1000 more times before I know what it needs to look like.

This car has to hit the road this year sometime or I'm literally going to lose my mind. I'm getting burnt out both mentally and financially on it so I need to get it to a stopping point and step away from it for a while to just enjoy the car I've built. I could have bought 2+ terminators by now for the amount of money I have dumped into this car so I need to drive it soon before I lose sight of the reason I do all this.

Well that blows, Im with Tom flare that bitch. I also understand the money issue, yet I cant picture you buying a termi and leaving it stock so that throws that out the window youd still be in the same boat spending tons of cash to personalize it. No matter what car you own Dan there is no way that it would remain stock, face it its not in your blood. Stay positive and just keep pushing forward. The way I see it it would be a waist to just repair and repaint the quarters as theres always a chance youll get a mismatch in the paint and I know theres no way you would deal with that. I would just regroup and do what needed to be done even it requires an entire repaint of the entire car, which is the way I would personally be looking at as I could never see myself relying on a blend job with the amount of time you have spent on perfecting everything else. Then again I don't give a rats ass about the money either as I cant take it with me when I die and the way things are going with the economy and government that little piece of paper might not be worth crap in a year or two . If the dollar crumbles we'll all be in the poor house but atleast youll have a mint car to action off to stay alive lol.

In a world where a budget wasn't a consideration I'd be all in, but the money just isn't there and I'm not ready to do it yet. I haven't even begun to really think what I would want it to look like so I'm not going to rush things and start into it. You know better than I do what it's like not driving your car forever and I have to say I'm over the eternal jack stand life. It's time to wrap up this phase of the car and take a break. The wide body will happen, but now isn't the time.

I think maybe you guys are missing my point. I am not worried about overinvesting in my car, I passed that mark many years ago and this car will be with me until I'm 6 feet under, it's not even a remote concern.

I have a wife who shares in the decisions we make with our money, and I know that my recent and very near future purchases have drained a lot from the well of understanding. I'd much rather wait on a damn widebody and not strain a great marriage over it lol. It's not an issue of investment, it's an issue of priorities. I'd much rather get into the new house we both want so badly with a nice big shop space for me to take my time and build my own widebody at my leisure rather than try to rush through it in a narrow 2 car garage with an angry wife upstairs.

I think maybe you guys are missing my point. I am not worried about overinvesting in my car, I passed that mark many years ago and this car will be with me until I'm 6 feet under, it's not even a remote concern.

I have a wife who shares in the decisions we make with our money, and I know that my recent and very near future purchases have drained a lot from the well of understanding. I'd much rather wait on a damn widebody and not strain a great marriage over it lol. It's not an issue of investment, it's an issue of priorities. I'd much rather get into the new house we both want so badly with a nice big shop space for me to take my time and build my own widebody at my leisure rather than try to rush through it in a narrow 2 car garage with an angry wife upstairs.

I know what you mean. My gf and I are tring to get your lives moving forward as well. That mean less car part spending, granted it isnt near where you are at, but still. Got to keep all parties in the relationship happy. Plus, I am saving for an engagement ring for her too, while paying off student loans, plus all the normal bills you or I deal with lol

But no i get it man, and i'd like to think we all do as well. Building a show car doesnt happen over night either.

Lol. Love that.  I'm surprised you get to work on it as much as you do now! Your wife must have some of her own hobbies she's attending to, haha. And yeah, get that thing out to Carlisle this year. They moved the event I was going to attend further away so I should be hitting up Carlisle. Dunno if I'll enter the show though... so expensive... maybe. Sn95Source line of cars? :) Steve's got the banner we can bring.

• Moderators

Exactly why next to nothing happens on my car.  My wife, her happiness (and thus my happiness), and day-to-day priorities come first.

I know what you mean. My gf and I are tring to get your lives moving forward as well. That mean less car part spending, granted it isnt near where you are at, but still. Got to keep all parties in the relationship happy. Plus, I am saving for an engagement ring for her too, while paying off student loans, plus all the normal bills you or I deal with lol

But no i get it man, and i'd like to think we all do as well. Building a show car doesnt happen over night either.

Yep, in the end, cars take a back seat to the people in my life. I'm not willing to push the patience of my wife too far. She's very understanding considering the amount of money that is put into this car pretty regularly.

Lol. Love that.  I'm surprised you get to work on it as much as you do now! Your wife must have some of her own hobbies she's attending to, haha. And yeah, get that thing out to Carlisle this year. They moved the event I was going to attend further away so I should be hitting up Carlisle. Dunno if I'll enter the show though... so expensive... maybe. Sn95Source line of cars? :) Steve's got the banner we can bring.

She's a gamer believe it or not. We built her a badass gaming pc earlier this year and she's also big into PS4 gaming. Not many guys get to go Christmas shopping at Gamestop for their wives, so I feel fortunate when I hear buddies talking about buying jewelry and dumb shit like that for their wives lol. I'm doing my best about Carlisle, but we'll see...

the well of understanding lol.

Haha yep, it dries up in direct correlation to the amount of big boxes waiting on the steps when she gets home lol.

Exactly why next to nothing happens on my car.  My wife, her happiness (and thus my happiness), and day-to-day priorities come first.

Yup, that's the essence of a hobby. It is secondary to real priorities in life :2thumb:

i disagree with opal on the blending part. oh and the selling our cars to stay alive or any other zombie attack type of crazy shit :P

i think you could very easily find a shop to blend the paint on that red and you'd never notice it. if it were a solid panel repaint butted up against another panel with older paint then yea that would most likely show....but blending say the quarter then part of the sail, door and trunk...reclear wet sand and buff...bet you would never know. especially a color with no metallic.

Yea @tony when I put the car into a guard rail back in 08, they painted the whole front clip and the back bumper and definitely had to do some blending. It turned out fine. If I had Rich's color, then yes, a blend would never work but this color isn't too bad. Especially since only the roof, some of the door, and the trunk lid are still factory paint lol so fading is not an issue.

I'm in no way saying others have a wrong opinion, but I completely get your perspective, Dan and agree with your decision on how to repair this.  My car spent 3 years straight on jack stands in pieces as I completed my build.  Are there things on it that annoy me and I'd like to do-over/fix?  Definitely.  Am I way, way happier being able to drive and enjoy it, even with those "issues"?  Absolutely.  In the end, a car will never be perfect and there will always be that "one more thing" you could do.  At some point you have to find the cut-off and just enjoy the car.

You're a smart man and a good husband to recognize your wife's patience with the project and budget too.  Those are paramount to everything else, imo.

It's also funny you mention a house upgrade.  I haven't done much of what I had planned for the car this winter because my wife and I listed our home recently to try to get into something with more garage space and a little more square footage before we try to start a family soon.  House > car, all-day, every-day.

Yea @tony when I put the car into a guard rail back in 08, they painted the whole front clip and the back bumper and definitely had to do some blending. It turned out fine. If I had Rich's color, then yes, a blend would never work but this color isn't too bad. Especially since only the roof, some of the door, and the trunk lid are still factory paint lol so fading is not an issue.

picturing your car with wider quarters and fenders idk man lol. i think the side exhaust would look a tad fucky??? just a subtle lip roll in te rear would look killer in my opinion.

picturing your car with wider quarters and fenders idk man lol. i think the side exhaust would look a tad fucky??? just a subtle lip roll in te rear would look killer in my opinion.

Just one of the many considerations that swirl around in my head each time I mentally revisit the wide body plans. It's more complicated than just pumping the fenders and being done for sure. Given that I make a living as a designer, I always hold really high standards to the design of everything I do on the car. I'm thinking the side exhaust will need some reconfiguration to flow with the rest of the design. Like I was telling you, it's such a major visual impact on the car that I really have to get my mind wrapped around it before I even begin to think about starting. It'll be a ton of work and a good chunk of change so I don't jump into stuff like that until I'm ready.

Just one of the many considerations that swirl around in my head each time I mentally revisit the wide body plans. It's more complicated than just pumping the fenders and being done for sure. Given that I make a living as a designer, I always hold really high standards to the design of everything I do on the car. I'm thinking the side exhaust will need some reconfiguration to flow with the rest of the design. Like I was telling you, it's such a major visual impact on the car that I really have to get my mind wrapped around it before I even begin to think about starting. It'll be a ton of work and a good chunk of change so I don't jump into stuff like that until I'm ready.

mybe i'm just picturing it wrong in my head who knows lol. wait untill sublime finishes his and photoshop your wheels and svo's on it :P

but it looks like you're super close to tucking that tire.....good thing about air ride is you don't have to drive aired out lol. i'd say if you can get that tire to tuck when parked and fully laid....your ready to hit them streets :)

mybe i'm just picturing it wrong in my head who knows lol. wait untill sublime finishes his and photoshop your wheels and svo's on it :P

but it looks like you're super close to tucking that tire.....good thing about air ride is you don't have to drive aired out lol. i'd say if you can get that tire to tuck when parked and fully laid....your ready to hit them streets :)

That's the plan! I think with some well planned cuts inside the wheel well to let the lips come out some, and another cut behind where the rear bumper cover meets the fender opening I should be able to get it where I need it. I don't think the 305/30/19's will be going on the car anytime soon though, I'm having a hard enough time fitting these 295's up in there as it is lol.

• Moderators

threads making me realize how awesome my wife is lol. she ALMOST gets as stoked about car parts as me....almost :P i think she just likes seeing me and our son work on a car together.

So you're saying I need a kid?!

So you're saying I need a kid?!

lol, maybe...it gives you another angle to work in car parts.

example: babe...i noticed sammy was struggling to put his brakes on his bike...think i'm going to get some rotors for the mustang and show him how brakes work :P

While I wait for the quarter to show up, among a few other things, I decided to relax a bit and concentrate on finishing up a couple final touches on the @Carbon Driven parts.

First up was the double din radio bezel. I still needed to attach the vent assembly, so that got the nod for the first task of the day. I had a spare stock bezel on the shelves so I pried the vent assembly out of it to use in the carbon piece. 

M7GaTG.jpg

The front face of the vent frame was scuffed with 80 grit to prep for some epoxy.

JxCeIV.jpg

The back of the radio bezel got the same treatment

fT4mvy.jpg

Then some 30 min epoxy was applied generously to mate the two

yfdSxE.jpg

It was allowed to cure overnight and I popped the vents in this morning.

VUGQSU.jpg

Installed it and it fits nice and snug. Next up was a little detail work on the shifter bezel. (camera settings FTL in this pic, lol)

zfjLcT.jpg

O3aqB4.jpg

Rob from Carbon Driven explained very clear reasons why he couldn't pull off the textured edge you find around the edge of the factory bezel. It looks fine as-is but a little extra effort really will make it look perfect. I drew a line on the masking to line up with the line coming down from the upper dash, then continued it down to mimic the factory bezel's line. (got a little sloppy in a couple spots lol)

sxL6cG.jpg

Trimmed away the area to be painted, then masked everything else (the edge of the masking may look jagged but that's just the sharpie line)

dBimUM.jpg

I teared up a bit when I started sanding that beautiful carbon finish, but alas, it was necessary lol. Prepped with 220 grit followed by 400 grit

VVO9Sk.jpg

Light coat of primer

NN2cd0.jpg

Then 3 light coats of black interior paint from CJPP (can't seem to find it on the CJPP site anymore :( )

ixWOTl.jpg

Finished product!

UD3ib4.jpg

And installed (once again, camera settings FTL but it's hard to see anything in this interior otherwise lol) I still have to figure out what to do with the cigarette lighter hole. I'll likely make a little insert to hold the USB plug for the head unit.

mYqabG.jpg

lz67zG.jpg

I also ordered some 4mm stainless allen bolts and nylock nuts to mount the compressors, which showed up.

v85npD.jpg

Two rubber mounts bolted together should do the trick in keeping these compressors a bit quieter when they kick on. I need to pick up some fender washers for the tops still.

MxTg68.jpg

I also sat and stared at the whole tank setup while holding the leader hoses in different positions and finalized my plan. Ordered a mess of fittings, so when those come in I'll show you guys what I came up with.

This probably doesn't seem like much progress but it felt good to tick off a couple more boxes. The fact that it was frigid cold didn't help. It was 4° outside today, and even with the heater running full blast I could only get the garage up to around 42°. Just not comfortable at all, and warming paint cans and bezels in front of the heater, then spraying paint huddled in front of it gets old quick lol.

looks great man. feels good to take care of those odds and ends. is that a cjpp brand paint or sem or something? looks spot on

Yea I believe it is, I was going to post a link to it on their site but now I can't find anything for our year range on black interior paint... who knows.

The bezels look fantastic!  I wish my interior was black because I would totally pick up a set but I honestly think carbon fiber would look dumb against tan...

Also, fwiw, I've bought the interior paint from LateModelRestoration in the past if CJPP doesn't carry it any longer.  Would be nice to support a forum sponsor, though.