95riosnake

The Chronicles of 95riosnake's OCD Machine

Man, I have to catch up two pages already, lol. I can't believe those brackets came from Wilwood!!!! That's mind blowing. I would expect much better from them. But anyway, ummm, don't get rid of the file for those brackets... it may be something I'd look forward to in the future. :)

Well-freaking-done though. Just curious why you didn't make those in the first place. You killed it in two hours! Now my question, would there be enough room for a separate e-brake caliper on the opposite side of the rotor, and if so, how would you make a bracket for that?!?

Man, I have to catch up two pages already, lol. I can't believe those brackets came from Wilwood!!!! That's mind blowing. I would expect much better from them. But anyway, ummm, don't get rid of the file for those brackets... it may be something I'd look forward to in the future. :)

Well-freaking-done though. Just curious why you didn't make those in the first place. You killed it in two hours! Now my question, would there be enough room for a separate e-brake caliper on the opposite side of the rotor, and if so, how would you make a bracket for that?!?

Oh the brackets most definitely are NOT Wilwood's fault... they would never put their name on something like that. The brackets were from a supposedly well respected shop, I'm not naming names until I get some money back though. I'll keep the dxf file around in case you ever take the plunge :2thumb:

I'm going to be mounting a Wilwood mechanical spot caliper around the 3 o'clock position on the rotor. I'll be drilling out the two holes that are meant for mounting the dust shields and building brackets to mount there. I'll also have to integrate some way of holding a spring to keep the lever of the spot caliper in the open position until the brake lever is pulled. Shouldn't be too bad, but will take a little head scratching I'm sure.

Oh, phew. I thought this was all through Wilwood. My bad.

I'm very interested to see the outcome of this e-brake idea. Will you run any kind of dust shield or no? I was actually going to make my own dust shields that extend to shield the knuckle cross-axis joints from the rotor. I know it's really only necessary for racing when extreme heat is present but it should be easy enough to do.

Oh, phew. I thought this was all through Wilwood. My bad.

I'm very interested to see the outcome of this e-brake idea. Will you run any kind of dust shield or no? I was actually going to make my own dust shields that extend to shield the knuckle cross-axis joints from the rotor. I know it's really only necessary for racing when extreme heat is present but it should be easy enough to do.

I may try to sandwich something in between the e-brake bracket and the knuckle, but I can't say for sure yet. There's a lot going on in that area now, the caliper is massively larger than the factory one in about every dimension, and the e-brake caliper will add to that. I won't be able to shield the cross axis joint, I had to trim the ear off the end of the upper control arm to clear the caliper, there's about 1/8" of room between the control arm and caliper so I doubt I'll be able to get anything in there. I also wanted to make sure I still retained full ability to adjust camber. Long story short, things are tight but everything clears. I can only imagine how this car will feel when I stomp the whoa pedal.

i can't get over how that company actually broke through the bracket on the one hole and thought that was okay to send out.  let alone the overall crapiness of it.  

i can't get over how that company actually broke through the bracket on the one hole and thought that was okay to send out.  let alone the overall crapiness of it.  

Yea there's no way I could have mounted the brakes using those brackets and drove 10 feet with any level of confidence.

WOW man that is unbelievable.  I would be absolutely furious.  Whoever made those and allowed them to be shipped out to a customer needs to stop and find a new job ASAP before they get someone killed.  I'm with Steve here also, I would not give them the pleasure of having your CAD drawings.  Glad to see you are taking care of it though by making them correctly.  I'm curious to see what the company that made those have to say or do about it. 

Cool little drawing of your car and that site looks like something I could get sucked into as well.  I'll have to check it out more later.

I haven't seen any of my pedals in months, lol...let alone pressed any of them!

I don't know how you don't spend time sitting in your car making vroom-vroom noises and pretending once in a while.  I used to do it when mine was in all sorts of pieces.  You should try it.  It's fun.

I don't know how you don't spend time sitting in your car making vroom-vroom noises and pretending once in a while.  I used to do it when mine was in all sorts of pieces.  You should try it.  It's fun.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's childhood and eventual adult life was molded in part by Tim Allen!

• Moderators

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's childhood and eventual adult life was molded in part by Tim Allen!

And continues to be with his new show!  That man is my idol.  If I could be some combination of him, Patrick Warburton, Clint Eastwood from Gran Torino, and Paul Newman I would be the ideal man.  Instead I'm 5'11", chunky, and pasty with a car in pieces lol.

And continues to be with his new show!  That man is my idol.  If I could be some combination of him, Patrick Warburton, Clint Eastwood from Gran Torino, and Paul Newman I would be the ideal man.  Instead I'm 5'11", chunky, and pasty with a car in pieces lol.

i watched part of his new show the other day and wasn't really impressed :-/ 

• Moderators

i watched part of his new show the other day and wasn't really impressed :-/ 

You're not serious right?  It's essentially Home Improvement with daughters instead of sons.

You're not serious right?  It's essentially Home Improvement with daughters instead of sons.

I am, i must have just caught some dull moments, but idk, didnt seem like it had the same spark

Some pics:

The bracket

bjlpPK.jpg

5Kxubq.jpg

Holes in different locations from one bracket to the next

TMJ2KT.jpg

P4v95l.jpg

Misalignment with caliper mount holes, and undersized bolts.

PtWPO9.jpg

Just wow is all I can say about that bracket, hope there paying you good money to run that thing. You were better off just buying the calipers and making your own bracket which it looks like that's what your gonna have to do anyway

On 12/4/2014 at 8:04 AM, 95opal said:

Just wow is all I can say about that bracket, hope there paying you good money to run that thing. You were better off just buying the calipers and making your own bracket which it looks like that's what your gonna have to do anyway

That's essentially what I am doing, should have the brackets I designed in my hands next week. The machinist has the file now, and is just waiting for some material to show up.

I'm gonna try to get some money back but at this point, I'm so tired of having this mother f***** involved in my life that if I don't get any money back I'll just cut my losses and move on.

Good lord. Those brackets they sent you look like something I would make. Glad you're getting some made that you know will be right. I'm growing impatient seeing this thing not on bags, so I can't imagine how you feel!

Thanks, you and me both. The RideTech stuff is supposed to hit the market any day now. I'm shooting to get the brakes all buttoned up, then move onto the air ride.

This weekend I started the process of figuring out how to mount the spot calipers for the parking brake, but quickly realized the rotors are too thick. I need to get a couple more spacers to widen the calipers, then I can start designing brackets. The calipers are actually pretty cool, they have a modular design, allowing the caliper to be widened by simply adding or removing spacers from the middle. Hopefully Wilwood sells them separately, I'll find out as I emailed them already. If they don't, no big deal...I can just make them but I'd prefer to just have something be easy for once lol.

If they don't, no big deal...I can just make them but I'd prefer to just have something be easy for once lol.

And just from this statement, they will make them, and sell them seperately, but they will be 1" spacers and beveled on each side so nothing sits flush.  lol it'll be your luck ;)

I'm half expecting them to say something along the lines of "We don't recommend widening the calipers for anything thicker than a 0.81" rotor" ...haha like that will stop me (my rotors are 1.1" thick). I would say about 75% of the time I'm doing something with/to parts I buy that the manufacturer doesn't recommend lol. Voiding warranties is the name of the game lol. @Blackmage

I'm half expecting them to say something along the lines of "We don't recommend widening the calipers for anything thicker than a 0.81" rotor" ...haha like that will stop me (my rotors are 1.1" thick). I would say about 75% of the time I'm doing something with/to parts I buy that the manufacturer doesn't recommend lol. Voiding warranties is the name of the game lol. @Blackmage

I once found a shirt I should have bought. It said "I void warranties "

Well I still haven't gotten a response from Wilwood yet. If I don't hear from them tomorrow I'll be drawing up some spacers in autocad. I'm gonna start putting expiration dates on requests from companies. Not willing to sit on my hands all the time anymore waiting on other people.

I'm not even gonna bother clicking that cause I know you can google it for me!!!! I was looking for a quick easy answer!!! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll be nice.  This is where I saw it - http://www.spreadshirt.com/i-void-car-warranties-t-shirts-C3376A14526409/vp/14526409T812A2PC122577717PA1663#/detail/14526409T812A2PC122577717PA1663

Pretty pricey t-shirt for what it is...

So I figured it's time to do a proper post about the rear brakes.

Here's the whole kit, try to ignore the piece of shit brackets in the back...

JJt25g.jpg

Superlite 4 calipers :)

O8EQA4.jpg

First step was assembling the rotors

3aMqIU.jpg

Torqued to spec with blue Loctite

d0kNHa.jpg

But the fun was just getting started... next the bolts all needed to be safety wired. This is a task that I love and hate at the same time. I love being meticulous about it, but it is VERY tedious.

MqvkGi.jpg

WdFZ91.jpg

XqxPPV.jpg

b0tg06.jpg

You all are already aware of all the bullshit regarding the brackets, so I'll just skip that part and show you the SL4 caliper in place with my laser cut polystyrene mock up bracket.

cDIZmX.jpg

MEIZC7.jpg

AGlFQB.jpg

The next thing to tackle was mounting a Wilwood spot caliper for the parking brake. As I mentioned a few days ago, the calipers would only support a 0.81" wide rotor, and mine are 1.1" wide. Wilwood was taking too long to get back to me regarding buying a couple spacers to widen the calipers, so I abandoned that and designed my own. This pic shows three 0.125" spacers added, which gives a perfect clearance and some wiggle room for adjustment. I'll have a single 0.375" thick aluminum spacer machined to take their place.

QMonpT.jpg

Now that I could test fit the caliper, I needed to design a mounting bracket. I have seen guys hard mount these spot calipers using the two bolts, which is a big no-no. They are designed to be a floating caliper that centers itself by sliding laterally as the parking brake is engaged, there are two slots designed into the sides of the caliper to allow it to do so. If the caliper doesn't slide, only two other things can happen; your mounting bracket bends to compensate or the outer pad doesn't make full contact. Unfortunately Wilwood offers nothing for mounting these, they're a truly universal design, so you're on your own mounting them lol. No sweat though, this is the kind of stuff I love doing.

Here's what I came up with. It will be machined from 0.500" billet aluminum, and the tracks for the caliper to slide on will be 0.188" billet. Both parts are notched to fit together and will be TIG welded where they interlock. This lets the bracket be made from flat material rather than CNC'ing from a huge piece, which would be a ton of waste and a massive hole in my wallet.

wUH8oi.jpg

MGDi2r.jpg

The mounting point I'm using is the two holes previously used for mounting the dust shields. These holes have plenty of material around them and are nearly an inch thick so they will be more than suitable. I unbolted the knuckle and pulled the half shaft out far enough to use a cordless right angle drill to drill out the holes to 0.375"

g3iXiw.jpg

pzmF1J.jpg

Next up was making a second bracket to mount the caliper brackets to the knuckles. I started by cutting a piece of 0.25" polystyrene and mounted it up.

ztnVlY.jpg

After a few mock ups, markings, measurements, etc. I arrived at this.

PuxQxp.jpg

Bolted everything up and patted myself on the back.

ncSLtN.jpg

S095ny.jpg

8FLtip.jpg

Next I'll need to figure out a linkage that will let a custom length parking brake cable pull downward to pull back the lever of the spot caliper. I already have the basic concept in mind, just have to start mocking things up. Once I get all that nailed down, I'll send the dxf files out for the brackets to have them machined.

I also threw a wheel on to triple check clearances and I'm good to go everywhere, plenty of room. :2thumb:

p50QM8.jpg

HoJofj.jpg

WN3wVH.jpg

Looks good Dan... Im with you on the safety wiring Ugggggg definetly not one of my favorite things when I installed mine. I take it they didn't sell the hats with intergraded parking brake for the IRS? I know when I did my rears I had a heck of a time figuring out the correct set up because of my narrowed rear but was glad I could get the parking brake with mine. As I wasn't going to run a E-brake in the beginning but since I was able to get a set up with the intergraded it was a plus and worked out with the push button set up that Im using. I just cant wait to actually stomp on them to see just how well the car will stop.

Looks good Dan... Im with you on the safety wiring Ugggggg definetly not one of my favorite things when I installed mine. I take it they didn't sell the hats with intergraded parking brake for the IRS? I know when I did my rears I had a heck of a time figuring out the correct set up because of my narrowed rear but was glad I could get the parking brake with mine. As I wasn't going to run a E-brake in the beginning but since I was able to get a set up with the intergraded it was a plus and worked out with the push button set up that Im using. I just cant wait to actually stomp on them to see just how well the car will stop.

Nah there's no drum style parking brake hats for the IRS, problem being room. There's a guy that makes a setup for factory five cobras but it pushes the wheels out almost an inch... hell no to that lol. I definitely want a parking brake because the thought of it somehow jumping out of gear and rolling away when parked makes me want to throw up...and even though the chances of that happening are slim, I know my luck. The other option is wheel chocks...haha not my style. And I can't wait to see how the car stops either! I still need to add a prop valve to dial down the rears a bit, and I'm still figuring out what I need to do master cylinder-wise, Tom seems to think a GT master might be the ticket.

So sexy man, that is a badass design for the spot caliper, I wasn't too worried about what you ended up coming up with design wise, I can't see why the spacer in the spot caliper would make a difference honestly :shrug:

Nah there's no drum style parking brake hats for the IRS, problem being room. There's a guy that makes a setup for factory five cobras but it pushes the wheels out almost an inch... hell no to that lol. I definitely want a parking brake because the thought of it somehow jumping out of gear and rolling away when parked makes me want to throw up...and even though the chances of that happening are slim, I know my luck. The other option is wheel chocks...haha not my style. And I can't wait to see how the car stops either! I still need to add a prop valve to dial down the rears a bit, and I'm still figuring out what I need to do master cylinder-wise, Tom seems to think a GT master might be the ticket.

The master is kinda of a personal opinion as the larger the bore size the more pedal effort that will be required. I would probably try to see how the current cobra master feels to you before making adjustments. you could also call wilwood and see what they suggest for your set up. Tom and I both have the luxury of an adjustable pedal to make up for the added effort with added leverage were as you don't but then again you have a booster so it may compensate, not sure. Either way I think its trial and error depending on how you like your pedal as long as you have enough volume your fine.

Really awesome stuff.  I can't see a problem with spacing that caliper apart either really, but I guess we'll see what happens.  Are you going to be painting the spot caliper red to match or keep it black?  I like it black cause it blends in with everything else, but at the same time now there are two different colored calipers on there. 

The master is kinda of a personal opinion as the larger the bore size the more pedal effort that will be required. I would probably try to see how the current cobra master feels to you before making adjustments. you could also call wilwood and see what they suggest for your set up. Tom and I both have the luxury of an adjustable pedal to make up for the added effort with added leverage were as you don't but then again you have a booster so it may compensate, not sure. Either way I think its trial and error depending on how you like your pedal as long as you have enough volume your fine.

The volume is the real question, the cobra master diameter is actually smaller than the GT, I'll probably just get everything together and see how it feels on the road and change as needed. Changing out the master wouldn't be much work if I end up needing to do it.

Really awesome stuff.  I can't see a problem with spacing that caliper apart either really, but I guess we'll see what happens.  Are you going to be painting the spot caliper red to match or keep it black?  I like it black cause it blends in with everything else, but at the same time now there are two different colored calipers on there. 

I don't have any worries about widening the caliper, it's a really simple design and it's for parking only so with some longer bolts it won't even be an issue IMO. I'm going to paint the caliper red, at least the outboard half. I was originally going to powder coat it but the outer pad is epoxied into it, so I think some caliper paint will do. Like you I don't have a problem with how it looks black, but having two different colors strikes me as a hodgepodge so it will get color matched for continuity. Not sure what I'll do on the bracket yet...thinking a brushed aluminum finish. You'd think Wilwood would offer the caliper in red since one of their standard colors is red...but they only offer black and polished. The polished, other than being more expensive, would have looked even more out of place I think.