95riosnake

The Chronicles of 95riosnake's OCD Machine

nice updates Dan! Love how everything you do seems like it takes a matter of minutes for you to make, kinda like @tony putting a car on bags, only takes a coupe min ;)

well once you have all the parts this kit is all plug & play for the most part....unless you're dan and can't seem to leave anything alone :P

i just think black carpet would make all your brackets pop and also help hide all the black wiring

and i feel like you're doing all that work and your not going to show it off at all.

so are you suuuurrreee you don't have any ??'s about any of the air ride stuff man :(

lol, i am soooo lovin' the digital display you made there man awesome! and shortening that harness vs what i woulda done (rolled it up into a big ass bundle :P ) is also cool!

keep in mind that unless you cut into the air line and use elbow fittings you won't be able to do any sharp turns with it. i see where you have your valve block and it may need some elbows....the least amount of fittings the better i always say. i'll shut up now and realize you are badass in car building lol

Haha sorry, no questions yet. It's all laid out in the E3 manual pretty well lol. Yea I will probably end up having to swap out the straight fittings on the valve block for 90 degree fittings but I figured I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Actually I do have a question, I've been using teflon tape on the threads of the fittings, is that good? Or am I supposed to use some kind of thread sealer stuff?

nice updates Dan! Love how everything you do seems like it takes a matter of minutes for you to make, kinda like @tony putting a car on bags, only takes a coupe min ;)

It definitely comes across as less work than it is then lol. I've been working on the pod for weeks here and there lol. And I'm sure you've had the pleasure of doing wiring and know how slow progress can be in that department lol. Add in fixed back seats and a harness bar and you have a really pleasant few hours climbing around in the back of this car lol.

well once you have all the parts this kit is all plug & play for the most part....unless you're dan and can't seem to leave anything alone :P

Haha guilty as charged. I have a really hard time just installing something the way it comes for some reason lol.

and i feel like you're doing all that work and your not going to show it off at all.

Yea I get what you guys are saying. I guess it's a possible future project, but at this point I'm doing my best to stop adding projects to the list. It's already gonna be tight having the car done for Carlisle.

Yea I get what you guys are saying. I guess it's a possible future project, but at this point I'm doing my best to stop adding projects to the list. It's already gonna be tight having the car done for Carlisle.

hmm good point.  yeah don't do anything with this area then.  this car needs to get back on the road at some point in 2015.

@95riosnake use teflon tape.....these ridetech valves are pretty finicky and stuff like pipe dope eventually dries into a powder....therefore will cause your valves to stick open/shut. even if they call for a pipe dope type of seal trust me....use teflon!!! just be sure to wrap the thread the opposite direction it threads in. keeps it from unwrappng itself :)

edit: and thanks for asking me a question and helping my ego feel better :twothumbsup:

Nailed it!!!  B-)

Got out the soldering station and got to work.

NlmZsw.jpg

Need this...  Funny you post this though as I saw it in a movie the other day and immediately desired it.

The angle drill - the only cordless drill I have is an angle drill as there are times when no other drill can reach it.  Any other time I am fine pulling a cord over to the work area.

I recently started skinning my own cf and that display would be no fun for sure. 

And steve-oh that little piece was always called a "soldering station helping hands tool" if your looking for one and yes they are a must have for anyone that does a lot of soldering.

@95riosnake use teflon tape.....these ridetech valves are pretty finicky and stuff like pipe dope eventually dries into a powder....therefore will cause your valves to stick open/shut. even if they call for a pipe dope type of seal trust me....use teflon!!! just be sure to wrap the thread the opposite direction it threads in. keeps it from unwrappng itself :)

edit: and thanks for asking me a question and helping my ego feel better :twothumbsup:

Cool I was pretty sure I remembered you saying to use teflon tape back when you bagged your vert, but couldn't remember for sure. I don't want to deal with shit clogging up the valves.

Glad you feel better haha!

Need this...  Funny you post this though as I saw it in a movie the other day and immediately desired it.

Yep, super handy when you're soldering. Unless you happen to have three hands, it'll change your life lol.

The angle drill - the only cordless drill I have is an angle drill as there are times when no other drill can reach it.  Any other time I am fine pulling a cord over to the work area.

I recently started skinning my own cf and that display would be no fun for sure. 

And steve-oh that little piece was always called a "soldering station helping hands tool" if your looking for one and yes they are a must have for anyone that does a lot of soldering.

Yea I finally got one after several times over the years when I just simply couldn't drill a hole because of the size of a normal drill body. I've been using it quite a bit since I bought it a couple months back, money well spent for sure.

If the pod gets wrapped, I won't be the one doing it for sure lol. We'll see. I'd still prefer to try and give it a vinyl texture instead.

i thought it was a magnifying glass for dan to read the ridetech instruction sheet :P

Haha, I'm not that blind yet lol.

yea dan the debate over pipe dope or teflon tape continues lol. teflon tape can shred leaving small pieces to blow into a valve....but that usually happens when people use too much of it or leave some overlapping the hole in the fitting.

ask josh from ridetech how pissed i was about my valve sticking and eventually i bent one trying to remove it from the block.....all because i eff'd up and stuck pipe dope on that fitting....pulled the valve and it was clogged with pipe dope particles lol. that usually don't completely shut the valve down but it sure as fuck does on these ridetech valves .

Great work, I like the progress.  I have a few questions though.  What is that white material you used to make the pod?  And I like your soldering setup.  Do you have any details on the soldering iron?  I have never used a soldering iron I liked, but honestly it's not something I've ever spent a lot of money on.  I have a propane one that is nearly useless and an electric gun type from Weller that gets the job done.  I'd definitely like to pick up a nice one before wiring the car up though.

As far as the finish of the pod goes, all I can think is to wrap it in some nice leather or vinyl that matches the factory texture closely  It would probably be difficult to work those tight curves and corners though.  Maybe if you or your wife know how to operate a sewing machine (or I suppose a good local upholstery shop) you could put a nice French seam along that edge of the pod facing you, to avoid the hassle of wrapping around the corners with one piece.  Leather on the outside of the pod and leather or microsuede on the inside surrounding the display with the stitch matching your shift boot?  I dunno, just thinking out loud.

I've seen cases when broken plastic parts are repaired, say if you had a chunk missing out of a part, it's backed up and filled, and while the filler is still soft a stamp made off a good piece of the part is used to print the pattern in the repair area.  I don't know how you could adapt that process to the whole exterior of the dash pod and make it consistent though.  I'm really not too familiar with all the terminology, process, and materials.

Great work, I like the progress.  I have a few questions though.  What is that white material you used to make the pod?  And I like your soldering setup.  Do you have any details on the soldering iron?  I have never used a soldering iron I liked, but honestly it's not something I've ever spent a lot of money on.  I have a propane one that is nearly useless and an electric gun type from Weller that gets the job done.  I'd definitely like to pick up a nice one before wiring the car up though.

As far as the finish of the pod goes, all I can think is to wrap it in some nice leather or vinyl that matches the factory texture closely  It would probably be difficult to work those tight curves and corners though.  Maybe if you or your wife know how to operate a sewing machine (or I suppose a good local upholstery shop) you could put a nice French seam along that edge of the pod facing you, to avoid the hassle of wrapping around the corners with one piece.  Leather on the outside of the pod and leather or microsuede on the inside surrounding the display with the stitch matching your shift boot?  I dunno, just thinking out loud.

I've seen cases when broken plastic parts are repaired, say if you had a chunk missing out of a part, it's backed up and filled, and while the filler is still soft a stamp made off a good piece of the part is used to print the pattern in the repair area.  I don't know how you could adapt that process to the whole exterior of the dash pod and make it consistent though.  I'm really not too familiar with all the terminology, process, and materials.

The white stuff is laser cut polystyrene. It's pretty versatile because it cuts well with regular tools or the laser cutter, sands well, and takes filler/paint/glue well also. The soldering station is a Tenma 21-147, we've used them at work for years so I finally bought one for myself last year. The adjustable temperature is a nice feature and a soldering station is just so much easier to use than a regular soldering iron. Here's a link to it: http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/TENMA-21-147-/21-147 and if you want a fancy digital temperature readout, they have a digital one as well: http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/TENMA-21-1590-/21-1590

I've been leaning toward a vinyl/leather wrap in my head the past few days. I think a nice French seam to match my shifter and e brake would be a nice touch. I think that's at the top of my current options.

Good deal, thanks for the info and links.  Bookmarked for when the time comes.  And yeah I think the leather is the way to go.  That way it'll be ready to go when the rest of the dash gets wrapped.  :D

I've been leaning toward a vinyl/leather wrap in my head the past few days. I think a nice French seam to match my shifter and e brake would be a nice touch. I think that's at the top of my current options.

mmmm....yes, that would be sick!!

yea dan the debate over pipe dope or teflon tape continues lol. teflon tape can shred leaving small pieces to blow into a valve....but that usually happens when people use too much of it or leave some overlapping the hole in the fitting.

ask josh from ridetech how pissed i was about my valve sticking and eventually i bent one trying to remove it from the block.....all because i eff'd up and stuck pipe dope on that fitting....pulled the valve and it was clogged with pipe dope particles lol. that usually don't completely shut the valve down but it sure as fuck does on these ridetech valves .

Teflon tape all the way.  Every time I get a call from someone with junk in their valves, 95% of the time....it's the paste. 

I think I've made up my mind, I'm gonna go with an Alcantara wrap on the pod with light gray French stitching around the front edge and it'll have a couple more going down the back. I still need to get my steering wheel wrapped so I think I'll just send both at the same time. I think having a few items Alcantara wtapped will help tie it into a bit of a theme for now. Someday the dash, door panels and rear seat side panels will be wrapped too but that's gonna have to wait a while unless I win the lottery lol.

oh for fuck sakes!! nagging about dans wiring?! people will dig and dig until they find some kind of gay ass bullshit to cry about fukin haters get a damn life!

but yea man cool that ya found that

His comments weren't necessarily too bad, and he actually complimented a couple things too, so I wasn't too mad. It's fairly obvious that my bumper support will have different crumpling characteristics with a half circle of steel welded in. That option seemed to retain a bit more crash protection than cutting it out all together and fabbing a tubular mount that wouldn't give at all, and instead transfer all the force to the core support in a minor fender bender. The other option is eliminate them all together, then you barely tap into something and your whole front end is destroyed lol. It is what it is, the more people see your project, the more chance there is for people to pick it apart. I don't sweat it. I've seen plenty of shitty comments about my car on Instagram, oh well I'll keep doin my thing and they can all suck a bag of dicks.

haters-gonna-hate.gif

You handled that guy alot better than I would've, Dan... You can talk about bad about me, my family, and things I do... but when one dickhead says a negative thing about my car, it's on.

lmao!!!!!!!!!!

We all know they would not have any bad comments if they saw it in person all finished.  I mean there is always that one a-hole that will find something he doesn't like but there is always a crack head in every crowd.  Well except in my town there is 2 or 3...

^lol

on to bigger and better things....dan did that kit you ordered come with a water trap? i wonder with these ridetech kits if they just don't produce much condensation or what. i know ideally you'd want the valves higher than the tank to stop some from forming but that rarely works with trunk setups. just something i was wondering about.

@tony the Ridetech kit didn't come with water traps, they claim they aren't needed. I'm still adding one for each compressor for added peace of mind though, I went with the SMC water traps. Haven't decided exactly where I'm gonna put them yet though.

@tony the Ridetech kit didn't come with water traps, they claim they aren't needed. I'm still adding one for each compressor for added peace of mind though, I went with the SMC water traps. Haven't decided exactly where I'm gonna put them yet though.

yea i don't see how the wouldn't be needed lol but i'm not sure either. smart move imo. i never ran them on my last mustang but i didn't drive it enough to really get any water in the tank.

yea i don't see how the wouldn't be needed lol but i'm not sure either. smart move imo. i never ran them on my last mustang but i didn't drive it enough to really get any water in the tank.

Yea even though they say they aren't necessary, they aren't that expensive. Throw in a few fittings and I'm fine with it for a bit more peace of mind. I need to decide whether to "feature" them somewhere visible or tuck them away out of sight... not sure yet. I'm hoping to wrap up the last bit of E3 wiring this weekend and move on to such things.