95riosnake

OCDFabworks Shop Projects: Anything Worth Doing is Worth Overdoing

Thanks Ryan, you guys are always welcome! And you can bring Troy with you so he can get these damn 10 hole wheels out of my garage (they're his) lol

troy and i were talking about us coming out that way again before x-mas but i don't think it's going to happen till after the holidays.  she can't take off the month of december because it's the busy season so we would only be able to do maybe a saturday overnight.  but even then we wouldn't get out there till late that night so it's just not worth it.  and trying to do something this month isn't going to happen anymore.  only weekend we have open is next weekend and she can't get off with that much notice.  we should have planed it sooner but it was just really busy getting the house stuff done and then the halloween party and yada yada....

@Yeahloh95

troy and i were talking about us coming out that way again before x-mas but i don't think it's going to happen till after the holidays.  she can't take off the month of december because it's the busy season so we would only be able to do maybe a saturday overnight.  but even then we wouldn't get out there till late that night so it's just not worth it.  and trying to do something this month isn't going to happen anymore.  only weekend we have open is next weekend and she can't get off with that much notice.  we should have planed it sooner but it was just really busy getting the house stuff done and then the halloween party and yada yada....

@Yeahloh95

After the holidays works better for us too anyway. I've been trying to get the stars to align to get down to my parents' house to give my dad the sign and that's proving near impossible. Things should be settling down after new years so we should just try to plan on something then. Just let me know before you nail down dates of anything so I can make sure Andrea doesn't work that Saturday (works every 3rd Saturday) :2thumb: We'll have to find another Brazilian Steakhouse lol, but a different one though, I think the one we went to last time was a little sub-par.

will do.  agreed, the place wasn't on par with the place down at meat beach.  not to say we didn't go into a meat coma after the meal, even with all the dog's noise and shenanigans. Troy was asleep in like 20 min of getting back to your place.

@Yeahloh95 @Prokiller @95riosnake Not to try and invite myself but I'd love to hang out with you guys someday. If I don't get to check out any of these garages in person, hopefully I'll see you at Ford Nationals or some other show. Unfortunately, Ford Nationals seems to coincide with Hyperfest at Summit Point Raceway and ummmm, yeah. We'll see about that.

I was quite sad I had family plans this past AM show weekend. I would've loved to hang out.

That would be fine with me Sean! Not sure how far you are from Ryan, but you guys could maybe even car pool lol. Ryan stopped in Altoona to grab Troy when they came last year. Looking at the Convention Center calendar, the Pittsburgh World of Wheels indoor car show is Jan. 23-25, maybe we could hit the show that Saturday? Then come hang out in my humble garage after for a bit and head out for dinner. We can figure it out closer to then but I think that would be cool. Who knows maybe I'll have some fancy air ride parts by then too.

Ooh you fancy world traveler you

more than welcome to take my place if you want.  Sao Paolo is such a choice destination location.  i've been told that we have to be out of the area before nightfall for the site we're doing in the downtown district because it gets really dangerous at night.

With temperatures dropping pretty fast, I found myself at Lowe's today shopping for a new heater. I've been using a super old school ceramic heater from the 80s that my dad gave me when I bought our house, but it's definitely giving up the ghost.

Picked up this nice little unit. It's an Idylis LS-3ECO, 1500w, supposed to work well for up to 800 sq.ft. so it should do me well. It has a nice wireless remote, thermostat, etc. Should keep things toasty this weekend!

5nxxPu.jpg

6iTuuQ.jpg

jm6hc1.jpg

PKQoXh.jpg

I would have figured you would have found an old wood burner to fully restore, and then of course a vintage horse powered log splitter from 1838 to feed it as well as a 17 ft two-man saw to cut trees down.

Never would have figured you for the remote control type...  But since ya did my garage sucks,  How well does it work and how much was it?

Haha true! I'd be lying if I said I wasn't checking out a 50s heater on CL before deciding to go with a new one, lol. The thought of an old space heater burning down all my hard work brought me to lowes lol. There's also the realization that if I'm ever gonna get back on the mustang soon I need to start pruning down the restoration stuff.

It works really well, tried it out for about a half hour and it really puts out some heat. Granted, 120v is limited to 1500w so I could have a ton more heat with 220v but this should take the edge off this winter when we're in the single digits for weeks at a time. It was $99

One thing that always irritated me was looking through the shelf of spray paint trying to find the color I needed, it didn't help that I had a quite a bit more stock of it than most, about 60ish cans lol.

2pjQrH.jpg

So I came up with this concept to remedy the situation.

wr8ovf.jpg

I had a bunch of 1/2" and 3/4" MDF left over from building the trunk panels in the mustang, so the plan was to build it from that material to serve the dual purpose of getting it out of the way and also making my life easier with all the cans of paint.

Got started making tons of dust, and drilling ENDLESS holes with a hole saw. Seriously though, hours of drilling. The MDF tends to clog up the teeth of the hole saws, so I had to stop and wire brush the MDF shavings out of the teeth 2-3 times for each hole... ugh.

9kDclE.jpg

InFs5e.jpg

dJPjCX.jpg

I didn't really have enough 1/2" left to make all 6 face panels so I moved forward building the racks while I figured out what to make the other 2 out of. When we moved into the house, the previous owners left behind some shitty 1/4" laminate particle board, which I have yet to find used anywhere in the house so it's a mystery what it was for lol. Anyway, to keep with the theme of using up materials I had laying around, I used some small pieces of that to make supports for the face panels.

NT7OMa.jpg

0Is3M5.jpg

QuXIDN.jpg

NdG1sy.jpg

A little proof of concept photo:

Q7zFli.jpg

Figured out a solution for the remaining two faces and spliced together shorter lengths of 1/2" then used strips of 1/2" OSB for the top strips.

q3hOF3.jpg

Slight downfall of using OSB is it needed some bondo to smooth it out, but I needed to fill screw holes with bondo anyway so it was all good.

ucvOF0.jpg

dYOYks.jpg

rV15Ei.jpg

82XDa7.jpg

Finally starting to look like something

QqzoL4.jpg

The next step was sealing the MDF to prepare for paint. Using any kind of water-based paint or sealer on MDF will make it swell and get "fuzzy" so a thick coat of oil based sanding sealer was brushed on. As with all the other steps of this project, this took forever to get into all the nooks and crannies.

pgVs8D.jpg

nTT3q0.jpg

After the sealer was dry, it needed to be sanded with 220 grit. This was one of the most tedious things I've done in a LONG time. All my fingers felt broken when I was finished lol.

0dIlRL.jpg

xzNn6Y.jpg

pD3zkn.jpg

A last bit of spot putty on the screw holes and some of the edges

jyBHKa.jpg

Finally ready for primer

0S4iZT.jpg

MSl4n9.jpg

Had to make a "custom" brush to get into all the interior spaces.

dW8MA9.jpg

Cb04zG.jpg

vpByRI.jpg

A few hours later, primed:

8929lt.jpg

2KqY3B.jpg

I wanted a light color but not white, and not the darker gray I used on the lower part of the garage walls, so I picked out a gloss light gray from Sherwin Williams.

Z73qA1.jpg

D8jFdT.jpg

I thought the color name was a bit humorous for some reason lol

izkeG5.jpg

Next I needed to make end plates, went with some 1/2" plywood I had sitting around rather than MDF to save myself all the trouble of sealing and such.

9Ftwrp.jpg

iRC9pX.jpg

Decided on bright red to match the cabinet drawer faces, I had this can already so I gave it a shot.

Vd2xIo.jpg

Decided the color was too pinkish, and hated the look of brush strokes in the finish so I sanded it all off and started over.

SdmMrE.jpg

Round 2: used the same spray paint from the drawer faces for a perfect match and a smooth finish.

IGOrFz.jpg

I only painted the side of them that faced inward, then mounted them with countersunk screws.

QKMGDu.jpg

dcU9Sg.jpg

Filled the screw holes and gave the faces a coat of bondo

ZiCmyD.jpg

Sanding, spot putty, sanding, spot putty....

1CqhbW.jpg

tNNkBu.jpg

Plenty of masking

taAxNt.jpg

Filler primer

3ROkgQ.jpg

And finally a few coats of gloss bright red

gDoUt9.jpg

B1bdJ1.jpg

lVoz3r.jpg

The new home for the rack. 6 holes have been drilled for tapcon anchors in this picture. I forgot how pleasant the sound of a hammer drill is, lol. ;)

P4k3P6.jpg

One rack mounted

Vxx8qX.jpg

At long last, the moment of truth. Both racks finally in place!

HdwqDJ.jpg

0d15nQ.jpg

yjnPaK.jpg

Today I finally wiped the dust off all my spray cans and put them in the rack. I still have quite a few empty slots, this thing can hold 96 cans :2thumb:

co4RA2.jpg

X31tuK.jpg

Well there you have it, another project that took much longer than originally anticipated. But looking at the finished product I don't regret one minute of it. I really can't wait to get the mustang mobile and pull it out of the garage so I can finally finish painting the other half of the garage. But that will have to wait until spring. Hope you guys enjoyed following along! :2thumb:

Ugh, man that is awesome. I've got about twenty-thirty spray cans that were a mess a while ago. I arranged them neatly in rows on a shelf, and thought that was pretty good, lol. I need to give my garage some of the OCD treatment like you.

Thank you sirs! There are definitely much less time consuming ways to solve the problem, but the further I got into building the racks, the more I wanted to go a bit over the top. I'm really happy with the finished product, I think it's just the right amount of overkill. :2thumb:

How well does it work and how much was it?

I was going to ask the same thing!  Pretty neat heater.  I'm still using one of those fan driven propane bullet heaters.  30k BTU and it takes the chill off pretty quickly.  I have a lot of space to heat though!  

Edit - just saw that it was 99.  

Also, fantastic work on the rack for the spray cans.  I bet you have a ton more space on the shelves now that they are out of the way!

yes we need to get together on those i hope to get back on your pipes soon , so we can trade , sorry for using up your valuable space this long :(

Haha it's cool. I'm about to jump back on the car in the next couple weeks and they're in the way sitting under the front of it.

I will definitely miss them though, too bad they won't fit over wilwoods ;)

i have been so excited with the truck that has consumed all my extra time , i will start a build thread soon

If the pipes are getting put off for something, it might as well be for a badass old F100! No worries

@Sleeperstang1994 I think we could use one of those heaters. :D The one you have is great but it will burn your leg hairs off in a couple seconds, lol!

And great work on the paint can organizing Dan. All your ideas are so genius!

Thanks Sean!

@WildWillyWalker @Steve@CJPP why have we still not tailgated Dan's garage yet?!  :(

Edit: I guess my tags don't work

Coulda used some help hanging the racks from tailgaters, lol. Feel free to bring some chairs whenever you want haha.

i'm continually surprised but the things you come up with for this garage.  as much work as this stuff is, it does really show 

I appreciate that Ryan, I really do put a ton of time and thought into every project, car related or otherwise, and it's good to hear that it's reflected in the final product!

We'll get there Dan!  I'm all for road tripping to Pitt. ... although everytime I've been there it's been cold.  Maybe we'll wait until spring lol ;)

We seem to have 4 types of weather here; cold, snowing, raining, and blazing hot.

Well I finally closed the book on the garage sign project and took it down to my parents' house yesterday. My mom and I set it up in his garage so he would see it when he pulled his truck in coming home from work yesterday. It was pretty funny, he had the normal straight face one would have from driving home after a long day at work, then as he saw the sign his face lit up and I swear he grinned ear to ear for about a half hour. It made it worth every dollar and minute spent making it. :2thumb:

Here's a couple pictures, in the second shot he wanted us to shake hands lol.

y2a8kg.jpg

uolTS0.jpg

I know this thread follows my projects, but to give all of you a taste of what he can do and one of the reasons I have so much respect for him, I thought I'd share the very impressive restoration he did on an old Wilton drill press this year. This thing is a BEAST. It's referred to as a gear head drill press because it's 100% gear driven rather than using belts and step pulleys like most drill presses. This gives it the ability to drill some serious stuff, and it can be used as a milling machine also. He and I drove to Tallmadge, OH (home of Summit Racing...yes, a quick stop was made lol) last January to pick it up.

It was made in Sweden and imported by Wilton-Strand, and is technically considered a mill-drill. It originally came from a technical school, the seller's father bought it from the school at auction, then gave it to the seller when he downsized his shop. It had been sitting untouched for close to a decade, it runs on 3 phase 220/440v power (seller didn't have 3 phase power in his shop) so we couldn't test it. My dad is a coal mine electrician so he brought his meter along and tested the motor, it seemed to be ok, but even then we didn't know for sure if it would work.

He decided to roll the dice, forked over $100 for it and we wrestled it into his truck with the help of an engine hoist. It might not look like it, but this thing weighs over 650lbs. Aside from the previously mentioned inability to test it, it had a few missing parts like some of the handles, collars on the column, and the table raising track had been hit with something large at some point which bent it and damaged its mounting collars pretty badly.

yUPPVw.jpg

1ORgtF.jpg

NEfBop.jpg

Having a 3 ton electric hoist on a beam trolley is a significant advantage when unloading something like this! lol

8rXD4H.jpg

He heated and straightened the bent table raising track, then got to work fabricating new upper and lower collars for it. First the lower collar:

Q1Ilwr.jpg

m9qNSw.jpg

jafIl4.jpg

QyhrTd.jpg

He always leaves his mark somewhere on everything he builds

2qyim9.jpg

5UHzoW.jpg

Then the upper collar:

B8MEVy.jpg

jV2GkW.jpg

YAXj9v.jpg

ekis6I.jpg

72Odu9.jpg

uvm9GN.jpg

4PzXiD.jpg

clbd3H.jpg

cjHWCD.jpg

lwZp2f.jpg

lGDfCV.jpg

NTfLG2.jpg

wFR6h8.jpg

AUFY25.jpg

Next the base got some love

tIlEhH.jpg

nTJuwl.jpg

Then a coat of one of my favorite colors, Verde Green

w4zJ8X.jpg

Next he tackled the table. This drill press lead a bit of a hard life at whatever school it came from, the students obviously enjoyed drilling holes through the table, some of which went all the way through. Also, it appears someone either tightened something into the T slots too tightly, or hammered on something that was clamped in and busted a couple chunks out. He used a stick welder and careful pre-heating and gradual cooling to weld in the holes. For some of the larger holes, he drilled them out larger, then tapped them and threaded in a bolt, welded the bottom and ground the top surface flat. He was about half way done in the following picture.

hTezYG.jpg

Then this is the finished product. Not showroom new, but nice and solid with a flat and effective work surface. The busted T slots weren't repairable unfortunately.

qZYk9p.jpg

The machine has a light built in under the head to shine on the table. It had a broken, scratched and discolored lens and a dim incandescent bulb, so he sent me the lens and I laser cut him a few new lenses with the Wilton logo engraved in them. He also ordered a 220v LED bulb and rewired it to accept the bulb.

jgwjdp.jpg

whAJYU.jpg

XxV39M.jpg

He made some new knobs for the handle out of some huge stainless ball bearings and added a custom "speed handle" to one of them to make it easier when you're rotating the handle more than one revolution. The head of the machine and all other bare parts also got a fresh coat of Verde Green at this stage.

7S5xLI.jpg

ZNPXSN.jpg

CX7h7b.jpg

Next up was setting up a variable frequency drive that would take a single phase 220v input and output 220v three phase power. The drive is not sealed, so a dust proof enclosure is necessary. He fabbed up what I think is a really great looking enclosure to house the drive (with space above for cooling), on/off, a potentiometer for speed control and a rotation reverse switch. Speaking of the potentiometer, the other awesome feature of a variable frequency drive is the ability to adjust the frequency (hertz), which in turn raises and lowers the machine speed. Combined with the switchable gear box the drill press has and the adjustable frequency drive, he can drill as slow as 12.5 rpm and as high as 3950 rpm, and also reverse the rotation when needed. This makes it perfect for drilling pretty much any material, as well as tapping and milling.

lMHKG6.jpg

jtzpOt.jpg

v8PpMO.jpg

LS5lKY.jpg

And lastly, here's the finished product. This machine is a thing of beauty. Every time I see it, I end up looking it over for a few minutes.

mk8LTw.jpg

jf6egI.jpg

VHvGVz.jpg

He still needs to make a handle for the left side of the table, but other than that, this beast has been and will continue to make chips for a lifetime and beyond.

Jesus christ! So that's where you get it from. Your dad seems like a badass ole fello! Seeing your work, you can definitely see where you learn some of your own tricks from!

Jesus christ! So that's where you get it from. Your dad seems like a badass ole fello! Seeing your work, you can definitely see where you learn some of your own tricks from!

Yep, I'm always striving to be on his level! Lol

never seen a drill press with a table that doesn't have a hole all the way through it before.  One that is supposed to be there.

A lot of industrial drill presses don't. His doesn't have a hole through it because it is a milling table. Basically a small version of the kind of table you see on Bridgeports and other big mills. My big Walker Turner from the beginning of this thread also doesn't have a hole through it, it seems that most T-slotted drill press tables don't have holes through them.

that sign is so cool!! the colors are awesome.

Man, I need to go visit your dad to learn a thing or two... or even you lol.  Sign looks almost like a neon sign in his shop!  Fantastic!

Thanks guys, the sign is just propped on his work bench in the pic, he said it will be going on the side wall of the shop so I'll be sure to post a pic once he gets it mounted :2thumb: