95riosnake

OCDFabworks Shop Projects: Anything Worth Doing is Worth Overdoing

^agreed!! nice to see guys respecting their fathers like this! just an all around good guy 'ol Dan is!!! 

i've been talking to my wife about building a pole barn kit as we own the 1/4 acre across the side street here next to our house. i'd pay ya good $$ for a cool sign to stick on the front hahaa, no doubt!! 

Oh, my, fawking, god. Job well done.

Thank you sir!

That's fawkin awesome!!!!!!!!!

not to hop off the subject of this wonderful masterpiece, but I have had the same problem trying to find someone to make one off pieces like this.  im curious if between your design skills and his work if you could get done for me what Ive had no luck doing myself.  if the pricing isn't too insane and you wouldn't mind helpin a fellow stanger out with a small project hit me up please!!!!!!!!!

back on subject, im sure your dad will be overwhelmed with joy with this awesome present!!!!!

This definitely wasn't a cheap project, but in the context of celebrating my dad finally getting to relax after 35 years of 12 hour days, shift work, sometimes 7 days/week, layoffs, etc. I was ok with the expense. Shoot me a pm about what you're trying to get done and maybe I can help you out. It's definitely hard to get in contact with people who have access to machines like water jets and such, it took me a while but at least now I have a contact for it. :2thumb: 

Holy shit Dan!!  You are the man.  Your Dad is lucky to have a son like you and should be blown away.  The drawings are something else too.  I'm always amazed by people that can just whip up drawings like that.

Thanks man, I always try to make sure both of my parents know how grateful I am to them for raising me. I think people sometimes forget how much their parents sacrificed to provide for their children, only to have them move off right when they get old enough to hang out with them. I never seem to get the chance to get home as often as I'd like to, I really wish I lived like 20 mins away and could just pop in and hang out, but even though an hour and a half isn't terribly far, it definitely is a hurdle when you're gonna burn 3 hours for the round trip. 

^agreed!! nice to see guys respecting their fathers like this! just an all around good guy 'ol Dan is!!! 

i've been talking to my wife about building a pole barn kit as we own the 1/4 acre across the side street here next to our house. i'd pay ya good $$ for a cool sign to stick on the front hahaa, no doubt!!

Thanks Tony! When the time comes, hit me up! I'm all for making cool shit and a few extra bucks on the side :2thumb:

• Moderators

Oh wow... didn't know you were that far along with the project!  It looks fantastic!  Can't wait to see it in its new home!

What colors were those at Sherwin Williams?  That's where I found the colors I want to use for my garage.

I honestly don't remember the names of the colors, sorry. I left the swatches with the powder coater and never got them back. Paint colors don't translate to powder coat colors a lot of times, so the colors he chose were as close as possible. I wish the green would have been more toward an olive shade but I still think it looks great.

that's one heck of a present Dan.  i'm sure your Dad will be blown away.  although i confess my disappointment with you not having gone out and bought a water jet machine.  i mean come on, they are only 100k.  

that's one heck of a present Dan.  i'm sure your Dad will be blown away.  although i confess my disappointment with you not having gone out and bought a water jet machine.  i mean come on, they are only 100k.  

Thanks Ryan, and I'm sorry to disappoint... :( I'll talk to Andrea about parking her car outside to make room ;)

Vintage water jet machine lol.

In 1971, history was made when the very first commercial use waterjet cutting system was installed for the Alton Box Board Company*, a cardboard box manufacturing facility. Known as the KMT "Fluid Jet Cutting System", it eliminated the use of commercial saws, and was designed for the contour cutting of furniture packing forms for the Papertube Division in Jackson, TN.

KMT%20original%20Intensifier.jpg

And the search begins for a 1971 KMT Fluid Jet Cutting System... lol

although this type of equipment is probably one of those tools you want the latest and greatest.  I can't imagine that 1971 machine being able to use AutoCAD 2015.  probably uses punch cards.... 

punch_card.75dpi.rgb.gif

jesus christ dan.  This forum's slogan is "Home of the sickest SN95 Builds on the planet"

NOT  "Home of 95RioSnakes sickest builds that are not SN95 related!"

:)

jesus christ dan.  This forum's slogan is "Home of the sickest SN95 Builds on the planet"

"Member Projects: For all other projects not relating to your vehicle build"

haters-gonna-hate.gif?w=610

;)

You sir Dan are a true inspiration! So flipping awesome. My mind is blown

Thanks Bryan!

No but I am beginning to think that is what we should change it to.  I can't even wrap my head around what I just saw and read.  I have now confirmed I have failed and life and I now believe why my dad has never been in my life, he knew I was never going to be able to achieve this level of excellence Dan has shown us.  Dude seriously why the fuck don't you have your own show.  I would watch that shit religiously lol.

• Moderators

No but I am beginning to think that is what we should change it to.  I can't even wrap my head around what I just saw and read.  I have now confirmed I have failed and life and I now believe why my dad has never been in my life, he knew I was never going to be able to achieve this level of excellence Dan has shown us.  Dude seriously why the fuck don't you have your own show.  I would watch that shit religiously lol.

Cannot like this hard enough.  I both love and hate getting texts from Dan because of the level of awesome he shows me.  

Haha, trust me Steve there are a lot of things I'm not good at, but luckily none of them are things I care about doing ;) Thanks though, and you let me know when someone wants to pay me big bucks to have my own show, I'm in lol.

Cannot like this hard enough.  I both love and hate getting texts from Dan because of the level of awesome he shows me.  

Haha yep, I don't show you everything, I just sometimes have to share with someone and my wife rarely cares much about what I'm working on. It all looks the same to her; more metal, dust, fumes and noise lol.

• Moderators

Haha yep, I don't show you everything, I just sometimes have to share with someone and my wife rarely cares much about what I'm working on. It all looks the same to her; more metal, dust, fumes and noise lol.

If only I could reciprocate haha.  Everything I've got is just a figment of my imagination.

Dan's to humble to ever admit to it but WE know he's the best!

Seriously, page 10 contained so much win that my computer started to smoke. Un-freaking-believable. I was blown out of the park at the drawings but it just kept getting better with that sign. I love how much work went into it, which I can never truly appreciate until I see the methods behind it. Very nice and great color choices. I wouldn't be surprised if the old man had some tears in his eyes. Well done!

Dan's to humble to ever admit to it but WE know he's the best!

Seriously, page 10 contained so much win that my computer started to smoke. Un-freaking-believable. I was blown out of the park at the drawings but it just kept getting better with that sign. I love how much work went into it, which I can never truly appreciate until I see the methods behind it. Very nice and great color choices. I wouldn't be surprised if the old man had some tears in his eyes. Well done!

Well I appreciate the kind words Sean, I know all you guys would rather see work being done on the cobra, but I've been really enjoying sharing all the other things I have going on too (don't worry, progress will be resuming very soon on the cobra ;) ). I can't wait to give my dad the sign, the man has always been my hero as long as I could remember and I always strive to get to his level of skill someday. I've only seen the man cry once, when my grandfather died, so it's not likely he'll tear up haha, but who knows. He's an old school dude, definitely a good example of "when men were men" that you always hear about!

Well I appreciate the kind words Sean, I know all you guys would rather see work being done on the cobra, but I've been really enjoying sharing all the other things I have going on too (don't worry, progress will be resuming very soon on the cobra ;) ). I can't wait to give my dad the sign, the man has always been my hero as long as I could remember and I always strive to get to his level of skill someday. I've only seen the man cry once, when my grandfather died, so it's not likely he'll tear up haha, but who knows. He's an old school dude, definitely a good example of "when men were men" that you always hear about!

Oh I forgot you had a car.  Honestly this stuff grabs my attention more now days.

Oh I forgot you had a car.  Honestly this stuff grabs my attention more now days.

Exactly.  and now I find myself walking through my garage, looking at my vise and shaking my head.  

nice work man!

Haha well I will be back on the car soon enough. I would have been finished with another shop project this past weekend but having to go to two weddings in two days killed any chances of progress... :angry:

Spent a few hours in the shop today, mostly working on a project I've been holding off posting here until it's 100% finished, but I figured I'd share some other things until the time comes to post that. Firstly, I have been finding myself leaning back toward doing things the way I remember doing them in my dad's shop as a kid. I mostly use mechanical pencils these days, but the feel of a real pencil just feels right compared to using a stylus on a digital screen all week long at work. As we all know, to sharpen a real pencil, you need a pencil sharpener. And while you're looking for one, might as well make it a vintage one ;)

I picked up this Apsco Dexter Super 10 for a mere $5 at the thrift store a few doors down from my gym, and I love the old school look of it. Not to mention it'll sharpen the shit out of a pencil, lol.

t1Lslz.jpg

CqhzQJ.jpg

plA0dg.jpg

Now that all the pencils would be sharpened in the proper vintage fashion, one needs to make sure they can see what they're writing, right? I've been looking for a nice desk light for my work bench, something easily adjusted but not cheap walmart junk. I found this vintage Dazor Floating Fixture drafting desk lamp on eBay for $23 plus shipping :2thumb:

57VgHL.jpg

eGpxnO.jpg

Even the hinge points are cool

Uui2fV.jpg

Gave it a little scrubbing with some Simple green and clamped it on. Even the clamps are heavy duty.

Ipxtp9.jpg

Picked up some warm white bulbs for a more natural light output and popped them in. I LOVE this light.

GSi9Uf.jpg

sC2ipG.jpg

Lastly, when the brown card file cabinet took its place in the garage, it displaced my two parts drawer units. Since then, they've been sitting on the floor underneath the mustang. My focus of late has been getting stuff out from under the mustang, as it had become somewhat of a storage area. Here's where the units lived previously, next to the tool chest.

rP6WjB.jpg

I'd been trying to think of where to relocate them to, then today it dawned on me, I settled on mounting them under the left side of the work bench, a space that seemed to be made for them.

JR6O42.jpg

Before I could mount them, my OCD reared its ugly head. One unit was gray and the other was dark blue. Non-matching colors just won't do, so both of them got sanded down and prepped for paint.

KrxZ77.jpg

Both received a nice coat of Battleship Gray, setting my OCD at ease.

VwYhyP.jpg

Finally in their new home

FhQlYJ.jpg

Then I somewhat unnecessarily cleaned all the drawers before putting them back in place.

weQWed.jpg

I think I might need a few more drawers in this area, amirite? lol

cIliQp.jpg

I have those same plastic bins.  Not sure I would like them at my knees though.

They were no doubt nicer at eye level but the never ending struggle of not having enough space dictated the new location. It was either here or in the trash, there was no other place for them. My garage is a very narrow (but thankfully deep) 2 car garage, so everything has to be contained in the area in front of the cars, there's no room for anything on the side walls.

We have a pair of them at work, and I was always taking bolts to work with me to figure out the thread sizes but that got old pretty quick. If you're a person who often builds stuff, once you get some you'll wonder how you ever got by without them. I got the metric one stupid cheap on eBay for like $17 or something, but they didn't have the matching inch one. Held off a while hoping to find one to match and never did, it appears they stopped making that exact gauge in inch sizes. Finally bit the bullet and paid $40 for the inch one and for now I'm just dealing with the fact that they don't match lol.

I was down in the garage last night pulling some masking off the project that is oh-so-close to being finished, when I was leaving I flipped the lights off and realized I forgot to turn off the power strip that feeds all the smaller lights... it looked cool so I figured I'd snap a pic. It has a pretty cool atmosphere this way... if it wasn't too dark to see in the rest of the garage I'd keep it this way all the time lol. 

FdMmUv.jpg

• Moderators

This is kinda the feel that my garage has with the CFLs the builder put in there.  I got a 100w Cree LED daylight bulb this weekend to try out and I like it, but now I wish I had two lighting circuits to change the "mood" so to speak like your space.

This is kinda the feel that my garage has with the CFLs the builder put in there.  I got a 100w Cree LED daylight bulb this weekend to try out and I like it, but now I wish I had two lighting circuits to change the "mood" so to speak like your space.

Yea I mean it's not that functional as far as getting work done when the overhead lights aren't on, but it does look cool. Could provide some good photographic opportunities maybe.

sad i didnt see the plastic drawer units get buffed to a shine. This thread is now a failure. Im out. 

Haha sorry to disappoint lol

looks like i need to take another trip out that way just to see all this stuff in person Dan....but then again, i think i'll walk in there and just look around for 5 minutes then get pissed off at my garage and leave.