95riosnake

The Chronicles of 95riosnake's OCD Machine

Well progress has been slow as of late, Christmas had me busy designing and building a couple gifts for family members. When I last left off, I was waiting on the rivnuts to show up. When they did, I excitedly grabbed my rivnut install tool only to find that I didn't have the proper tip for 3/8-16. Something like this simply isn't available anywhere locally for me, so I had to order one, then hurry up and wait...

Anyway, today the planets finally aligned and I had not only the right tools, but enough time to get down to business. I painted the exhaust hanger brackets 2-3 weeks ago and they look great (even though nobody will ever see them, lol)

onoa.jpg

69ql.jpg

After one hell of a forearm workout, the rivnuts were finally in

jp84.jpg

Some nice stainless hardware mounts the brackets:

crb3.jpg

Some notching/modifying on the hanger to accommodate the oval tubing:

rnm2.jpg

Then finally tacked it in place.

5g25.jpg

v5jp.jpg

That's as far as I got with the limited time I had on my hands today, I'll do the same on the driver's side next.

Well progress has been slow as of late, Christmas had me busy designing and building a couple gifts for family members. When I last left off, I was waiting on the rivnuts to show up. When they did, I excitedly grabbed my rivnut install tool only to find that I didn't have the proper tip for 3/8-16. Something like this simply isn't available anywhere locally for me, so I had to order one, then hurry up and wait...

Anyway, today the planets finally aligned and I had not only the right tools, but enough time to get down to business. I painted the exhaust hanger brackets 2-3 weeks ago and they look great (even though nobody will ever see them, lol)

onoa.jpg

69ql.jpg

After one hell of a forearm workout, the rivnuts were finally in

jp84.jpg

Some nice stainless hardware mounts the brackets:

crb3.jpg

Some notching/modifying on the hanger to accommodate the oval tubing:

rnm2.jpg

Then finally tacked it in place.

5g25.jpg

v5jp.jpg

That's as far as I got with the limited time I had on my hands today, I'll do the same on the driver's side next.

That is absolute sex! Looks great man. Just one more detailed thing that helps your car stand out amongst others.

Hoooley shit dan those exhaust hangers turned out awesome as does everything on here . One day I dream to have my car at the level yours is , it's a real inspiration to a lot of the members I'm sure . Your fabrication skills are awesome man , time to get in a mag again once the air rides wrapped up

That is absolute sex! Looks great man. Just one more detailed thing that helps your car stand out amongst others.

Thanks! The "others" will have their cars back on the road about 3 years sooner than I will though, at least that's how it feels sometimes lol.

i see the brackets yes but the blurred wheel in the background is distracting lol. gaaawd i love you fn wheels!! 

I didn't even realize the wheel was in that pic, lol thanks Tony!

Hoooley shit dan those exhaust hangers turned out awesome as does everything on here . One day I dream to have my car at the level yours is , it's a real inspiration to a lot of the members I'm sure . Your fabrication skills are awesome man , time to get in a mag again once the air rides wrapped up

That's the goal! I'd really like to see if I could get in a non-mustang mag, or an online feature. If I ever got featured on Speedhunters or something, that would be insanely awesome even though it's not your typical type of feature. I'd have to have thick skin if that happened, I'm sure that no matter what my car is when I'm finished, haters will emerge from the woodwork lol. Oh well, that's how it goes when you want to do something different right?

this exhaust is coming along so awesome! any ideas for what the next project is going to be???!!!

Finish the other unfinished projects, lol. Like the air ride and double din radio conversion. The new shockwaves are still being forged from unobtanium apparently, so maybe in another 5 years they'll be available. <_<

I'll probably work on welding in the Stifflers FIT braces next (going to shoot a new coat of paint under the car following that while the exhaust is off), then move back into the trunk, finalize a logo design and water jet the mounting bracket for the compressors. I think I'm going to go with 1/2" 6061 for it, that should be suitably overkill, lol.

Dan that is just insane bro.  I swear the first thing I am going to do when I see your car is lay on the ground and just stare at the underside lol.  

i see the brackets yes but the blurred wheel in the background is distracting lol. gaaawd i love you fn wheels!! 

Tony focus man!! lol

Dan that is just insane bro.  I swear the first thing I am going to do when I see your car is lay on the ground and just stare at the underside lol.

Haha thanks Steve! I'm definitely putting a totally unnecessary amount of work into the exhaust but oh well, that's just how I do things lol.

I really like how everything you make looks as if it was just a kit you bought, maybe even better because half the time shit doesn't fit how it's supposed to anyways.  amazing work.

Thanks Ryan I appreciate it, that's what I'm going for!

I had some time today so I headed down to the garage to knock out the driver's side. I got the hanger notched and the holes for the rivnuts drilled, so far so good. Right as I was finishing the first rivnut, BAM the tool popped off and hit me in the head. Upon further inspection, the brand new $18 tip broke... :angry:

n7rq.jpg

So in disgust, I put away the tools, swept the floor and walked away. Time to order another new tip...

The gun for the rivnuts is a bit different than a rivet gun, although they work similarly. The part that broke off threads into the rivnut gun, luckily I was able to get it out. I'm going to just wait for a new tip, waiting is quickly becoming the theme of this car for many reasons... ugh

you doing all this work on jack stands and a creeper? that makes me feel old cause when i spend any decent amount of time under a car on a creeper i have to recuperate for bout 3 days lolol. back, shoulders, neck...all sore as hell 

looking good dan let me know when we are going to start rubbing on the pipes

Whoa Troy, that sounds like something I need to be doing in private ;)

you doing all this work on jack stands and a creeper? that makes me feel old cause when i spend any decent amount of time under a car on a creeper i have to recuperate for bout 3 days lolol. back, shoulders, neck...all sore as hell 

Sure am, nothing like needing to reach for something and you can't roll your shoulder over because it hits the bottom of the car, lol. My personal favorite is when the wheel of the creeper gets stuck on a cord, I've come close to a tantrum a few times over that, lol. I'm definitely ready to be done under the car, but I'm not even close yet. I still need to pull the whole exhaust off to weld it, weld in the FIT braces, and shoot a fresh coat of gray under the car...ugh

@95riosnake what did you use for undercoating, and what is the best way to clean the underside of the car just throw it on jack stands in the drive way and break out the pressure washer?

There's no undercoating under my car, I stripped the whole underbody with a wire wheel grinder, then shot it with epoxy primer and gloss gray enamel. For cleaning I just get it on jack stands and clean it with a rag and window cleaner or quick detailer. I don't have a pressure washer but if I ever get one I'd probably use it from time to time.

@95riosnake so I could just use a good enamel to seal it, because I don't want to use that rubberized undercoating and I couldn't find any that wasn't.

@95riosnake because my old motor had a nasty oil leak and the underside of my car is covered in oil and I was gonna clean and paint the underside of my car like yours wile it was apart.

You do all your work on a creeper? 

I hate being on a creeper. The cords and getting stuck is frustrating!

Actually I hate laying under the car period :P always get stuck, smash myself in the face or my biggest pet peeve; get shit in the eyes.

@95riosnake so I could just use a good enamel to seal it, because I don't want to use that rubberized undercoating and I couldn't find any that wasn't.

@95riosnake because my old motor had a nasty oil leak and the underside of my car is covered in oil and I was gonna clean and paint the underside of my car like yours wile it was apart.

If your car has a bunch of oil underneath I'd definitely power wash it first because if you start grinding it with all that oil on the surface it'll be a mess. A good heavy duty enamel will work just fine as long as you aren't driving in a lot of salt or something, I painted my underbody about 8 years ago and there are just a few tiny spots where some rust has started, probably where I missed some when I was stripping it the first time. It has held up great over the years, but the car also NEVER sees snow/salt. If you don't have rust to contend with, hitting it with a scotch brite pad or some 220 grit sand paper before you shoot the paint will help it adhere :2thumb:

You do all your work on a creeper? 

I hate being on a creeper. The cords and getting stuck is frustrating!

Actually I hate laying under the car period :P always get stuck, smash myself in the face or my biggest pet peeve; get shit in the eyes.

Yep, jack stands and a creeper for me. I hate it just as much as you do but my current garage doesn't have nearly high enough ceilings for any type of lift so I make do with what I have.

If your car has a bunch of oil underneath I'd definitely power wash it first because if you start grinding it with all that oil on the surface it'll be a mess. A good heavy duty enamel will work just fine as long as you aren't driving in a lot of salt or something, I painted my underbody about 8 years ago and there are just a few tiny spots where some rust has started, probably where I missed some when I was stripping it the first time. It has held up great over the years, but the car also NEVER sees snow/salt. If you don't have rust to contend with, hitting it with a scotch brite pad or some 220 grit sand paper before you shoot the paint will help it adhere :2thumb:

Yep, jack stands and a creeper for me. I hate it just as much as you do but my current garage doesn't have nearly high enough ceilings for any type of lift so I make do with what I have.

I'm usually just back to concrete with @1997cobra

What's this creeping around on your back nonsense :huh::blink: ...  On a serious note, I give Dan (and many others for that matter) a lot of credit for doing the amount of work/quality of work they do and doing it all on jackstands.  I can barely do decent work with the convenience I have ;)

Damn lol, you need to lay off the roids!  How the hell did you break that tip?! :o

What's this creeping around on your back nonsense :huh::blink: ...  On a serious note, I give Dan (and many others for that matter) a lot of credit for doing the amount of work/quality of work they do and doing it all on jackstands.  I can barely do decent work with the convenience I have ;)

Damn lol, you need to lay off the roids!  How the hell did you break that tip?! :o

Not saying I like it, but since a lift isn't in the cards currently I make do. Thanks for the props lol.

No idea how I broke that tip haha, I would like to think I'm just a beast but I'm going to guess it had some kind of defect lol.

When you start the double din swap mention me I might copy a few things from you of just have you make double the stuff for the swap. I love your attention to detail man!

Thanks! Will do, I just got tired of climbing around in the car doing wiring so I took a break from it to do the exhaust and other things. Probably will revisit the double din swap soon though :2thumb:

I had mine undercoated while I was also having my cut-outs installed since they would have to take the mid pipe off anyway.  While they where there with the driveshaft I had them replace that with an aluminum as well.  Since it was up on the lift already and had the part stripped off it was just a simple scuff/mask/paint for them so I think they only charged me for $50 labor for the painting.

I remember when my dad did his he went to our local auto paint supplier and bought a chemical rust converter that he brushed onto the underbody that got rid of any remaining rust, after prep, that turned into a primer. Then they mixed him matching paint that he sprayed on. Came out pretty decent:

009BE502-61D3-48CD-88A2-2B42C13DDD58_zps

Sent from Space

I've been reading a few pages of this thread every night, and I'm still at a loss for words. You're literally building my dream car here. Hats off to you sir, your car is a work of art. I really hope I get to see it this year at Mustang Week!

Thanks I really appreciate it! I don't think I'll be at Mustang Week this year though. It was a lot of fun but I need that vacation week for my wife and I to go somewhere. It proved to be pretty much impossible to line up a truck/trailer to get my car to MW in 2013, and driving it down simply isn't an option so that's another reason I doubt I'll be there.

Last night I spent some time with my 3400lb mistress

vcti.jpg

Finally got a new tip for the rivnut gun and got the driver's side hanger bracket mounted. I can call the fabrication of the exhaust complete now, I'm sure you guys are ready to look at pictures of something else by now, lol. I'm going to mock up the FIT braces before I take the exhaust off so I can make note of any modifications they'll need to fit around it, then FINALLY take these pipes to work and get down with some TIG action :2thumb:

w42d.jpg

4zzu.jpg

w90o.jpg

Some fancy iPhone lens photos:

x1xm.jpg

gb5e.jpg

It still bothers me that the exhaust isn't symmetrical, lol. It's kind of out of my hands though, the floor pans of these cars aren't symmetrical (mainly the driveshaft tunnel) and when you're going for maximum ground clearance something has to give.

During my time under the car working on the exhaust, I've decided that I don't like the way I have the battery wire routed or how I brought it through the floor. So I'm going to run a new cable (might add a cut off under the bumper also) and use one of these battery cable bulkheads I found to bring it through the floor.

Pass%20Thru%20Connectors%20Pair.jpg

i'm glad you didn't go that crazy crossover design with the exhaust Dan.  looks so clean now, it would have just been a mess under there.

Yea it was definitely over-thinking it, not to mention how muchmore work it would have been. I'm glad to be past the head scratching phase of this exhaust and onto the finishing phase. I'm very much ready to move onto other things, lol.