Psychorugby

50 Shades of Red

• Moderators

Now I am starting to feel bad.  I was all set to take stuff to powder coat tomorrow after my interview, but I was reminded by my debbie downer friend that I hadn't gotten the axle tubes welded yet.  My other buddy has been telling me for a month he is coming over to help weld up the engine bay, and nothing.  

Now I am starting to feel bad.  I was all set to take stuff to powder coat tomorrow after my interview, but I was reminded by my debbie downer friend that I hadn't gotten the axle tubes welded yet.  My other buddy has been telling me for a month he is coming over to help weld up the engine bay, and nothing.  

not to make you feel worse... BUT if you lived up here i would weld those right up :D  ive had a good instructor in @Steve-Oh !

• Moderators

Not sure if it's progress, but I cleaned up around the car so that I could drop the fuel tank to get the Walbro 255 out for @95opal's new project... however, a migraine had me sidelined most of the weekend and I didn't get that far.  Tonight.

Not sure if it's progress, but I cleaned up around the car so that I could drop the fuel tank to get the Walbro 255 out for @95opal's new project... however, a migraine had me sidelined most of the weekend and I didn't get that far. Tonight.

That's considered progress!

• Moderators

Finally an update worthy of posting... I got my rear end back from powder coat, as well as the rear calipers.  

IMG_3159_zps9451694a.jpg

IMG_31661_zps081f2828.jpg

I couldn't resist throwing on the Steeda solid control arm bushings (I've got some poly I need to sell if anyone wants them), and seeing what the Moser diff cover is going to look like:

IMG_31681_zpsbcdb26a1.jpg

Next step, figuring out how to install gears so I can get everything else installed and ready to go!

If I can get things organized around the car, I can make some room to get under it and clean up the belly for some fresh paint.  Problem is I have school the next two nights and my parents coming into town this weekend.  So much for progress.

• Moderators

OK, so this is just a tiny update... more of me venting what I know everyone else experiences, but seems to be the MO for my car.  I had everything together to install the gears myself this weekend, including instructions and advice from my powder coater (who is a racer himself).  The ring gear went almost all the way on to the differential without help; I could get a couple threads of the bolts started.  I was prepared to go stick the ring gear in the over per my powder coater's instructions, but several whacks with a rubber mallet got the gear on enough to start all the bolts good and cinch everything down.  Score!  I go to torque the bolts down and quickly realize it ain't happening.  I must have looked like a monkey humping a football trying to hold the diff with my left hand while attempting to torque bolts down to 100 lb/ft.  Left it like this to move onto other things.

IMG_33981_zps9690e300.jpg

Pinion races.  Powder coater made these sound simple... and the outer one was.  Stick a screw driver into the two slots, hit with hammer a couple times, out it comes, use old race to "press" in new race.  Simple and it worked like a charm!  Inner race fought me coming and going.  I had to beat the motherfucker into submission to get it out, bending my Craftsman screwdriver in the process.  Tried the ol' use the old race to drive in the new race trick.  Notfuckinglikely.  The old race kept bouncing off the new one.  Tried a piece of 2x4 on top to give me something actually hit with the hammer since this is all inside the housing.  I just shattered the 2x4 and wasted an hour.  Fine, off to Autozone to rent a race driver.  Come home to use the race driver, thinking I've got this thing licked.  None of the race drivers quite fit, but I give it a try anyway.  I even tried rigging together a plate on the outside of the pinion with the race driver so I could use a bolt to press in the race.  Nope, notgonnahappen.  Another hour wasted.  So I drive up to Harbor Freight to spend the $30 on their shitty Chinese race driver set.  You'd think they were giving stuff away with as many people that were there.  Get home after an hour and a half, the race driver fits... kinda... better than the Autozone set.  It seems to work better, but still slow going.  Notice if I take out some of my frustration with the hammer the race seats some.  Beat the ever loving hell out of it and the thing finally seats!!!!  So it took me the better part of a day to install two races.  Great.

IMG_33961_zps8276af70.jpg

Every time I go to the garage, it's never simple.  It always ends up with me driving all over God's green earth, wasting an entire day, just to install a simple part.

I can hear where your coming from. AND im a technician by trade. If it makes you feel better I got a letter from my township this weekend that I need to remove my car from my property because its an eyesore and in codes violation :angry:

• Moderators

I can hear where your coming from. AND im a technician by trade. If it makes you feel better I got a letter from my township this weekend that I need to remove my car from my property because its an eyesore and in codes violation :angry:

That does not make me feel better.  Get to work on it!

just ship all your parts to me and ill make sure they get put to good use!

• Moderators

i see rich creeping around your thread chris...you better get on it bruh :P he's gonna smash cinderblocks over that head man  :o

That's probably the biggest reason I was excited to potentially get something big done this weekend.  Instead I got a ring gear partially installed, and two pinion races installed.  Whoopty-friggin-doo!

• Moderators

lmfao!! rich is bullying you ain't he man  :( lolol. that's decent progress kinda not really but kinda maybe....not??? 

Mostly people bullying me on Rich's behalf... and me feeling guilty.  He put a lot of work into my car and I've done next to nothing.

• Moderators

Like the cavman approach to the gear install. Your powder coater should get the genius of the year award

So far everything he's told me has worked out well. Working on the pinion bearing now, but not having a Dremel is killer.

• Moderators

that's a dam good deal for that set up

Not denying that at all.  She saw the Lincoln 140 price and said no... but at the same time we're going to look at reclaimed wood this weekend to build the damn furniture with, so I am confused as hell.