95riosnake

The Chronicles of 95riosnake's OCD Machine

I feel like I'm derailing his thread....

But.... Is one battery enough to power the air ride, fuse box, projectors, etc etc etc or would more than one be required? I had thought about getting a small battery for the front just to power the projectors and a few things if need be but I like this block idea more. 

I am doing a large stereo I want to be able to play for a little while with the key off and still start it so I have one LARGE battery for the stereo and a smaller one to start the car.  There is no need for a second battery except for more power and the ability to play with the motor off and no worry starting still.

@Brian yes the one battery will power everything, it's a pretty powerful battery, and I'm not running any big amps like @ttocs is so it will be more than enough. For powering the compressors and such for the air ride, I'll just wire them to the battery directly since it's only about 3 feet from them, with an inline fuse holder in between of course.

So the only reason the block is needed is so that you're not running multiple lines from the battery in the trunk to the front to power stuff.. Roger roger. 

Yep, the only other option was running the 2 gauge wire from the battery to the fuse box, then running wires from the fuse box to the alternator and starter, but there just isn't room for all those big wires to attach to the fuse box. This does essentially the same thing, but the point at which they all connect is hidden out of sight and where there's room to do it. Plus it let me add a 100 amp fuse for each wire for a bit more peace of mind. Throw in the circuit breakers at each end of the main battery cable and all my concerns fade away, lol. I'd always rather go overkill than just hope nothing happens.

I really like the idea and wouldn't mind doing that in mine at some point. Right now it's not really needed since my battery isn't relocated. 

I'll stop derailing your thread. Sorry. 

That distribution block cover is tits.  Want to make 2 more?

Also, do you just run a bare wire into those junctions and crank down a set screw?  Or do they make lugs that serve as wire ends?

It took me quite a few lunch breaks at work to make this one, lol. I'm sure I could make a couple more but it would be a while before I got around to it.

Yea you run bare wire in and there's a set screw to lock it in. The only complaint I have about this particular block is that the set screws they used are phillips head and you have to be careful to not strip the heads. An allen set screw would have been 100x better, but oh well.

well that's a cool little shroud ya built there dan. nice rounded edges. like how you rolled the front lip. so do you have a metal brake? 

Thanks Tony! Yea we have a sheet metal shear and a huge metal brake at work :2thumb:

man i would LOVE that!! i would build a whole world of dumb shit with that lolol. metal shoes for the kids, pants, book bags, furniture...everything metal B-)  

That distribution block is a great idea.  I've not seen anyone do it like that before.  I will likely be stealing this idea in the future :)

Just curious, what do you do for work?  You strike me as like an industrial designer or something?  Must be great to have those kinds of tools available to you.

Once upon a time I had access to that kind of equipment through my Dad's work but those days are long gone and I was unfortunately too young and timid to take real advantage of them at the time.

Real sweet dan! I feel like now that I see this it's almost a no brainer lol. Dan setting trends since 2003, or whenever you bought it!

Agree with Tabres. Given what I've been doing to the car the last few months I really miss the ease at which I used to be able to fabricate metal pieces.

Sent from Space

man i would LOVE that!! i would build a whole world of dumb shit with that lolol. metal shoes for the kids, pants, book bags, furniture...everything metal B-)  

Haha yea man it's an awesome tool to have at your disposal! It definitely takes some thought to plan out your bends, sometimes if you bend one thing first, you block yourself from making one of your other bends because the legs of the bends you already made run into the brake lol.

I think it's awesome that they let you use the work equipment for other projects. That is badass in itself.

Yea it's awesome, they let you use the machines as long as you provide your own raw materials. If there are smaller scraps of metal laying around those are up for grabs also because otherwise they just hit the scrap bin.

That distribution block is a great idea.  I've not seen anyone do it like that before.  I will likely be stealing this idea in the future :)

Just curious, what do you do for work?  You strike me as like an industrial designer or something?  Must be great to have those kinds of tools available to you.

Once upon a time I had access to that kind of equipment through my Dad's work but those days are long gone and I was unfortunately too young and timid to take real advantage of them at the time.

You hit it right on the head, I'm an industrial designer. It's a great industry to work in when you're into fabricating stuff :2thumb:

Real sweet dan! I feel like now that I see this it's almost a no brainer lol. Dan setting trends since 2003, or whenever you bought it!

Agree with Tabres. Given what I've been doing to the car the last few months I really miss the ease at which I used to be able to fabricate metal pieces.

Sent from Space

Haha I do my best to think outside the box and come at things a bit differently when I can lol.

Nice work Dan... Sucks waitin on crap, sucks neither of us will have our cars at laconia, sucks when you have no idea when youll finish, sucks my car has been down for going on 3 years, but what the heck its par for the course lol.

Maybe well be ready for Carlisle next year lol

Nice work Dan... Sucks waitin on crap, sucks neither of us will have our cars at laconia, sucks when you have no idea when youll finish, sucks my car has been down for going on 3 years, but what the heck its par for the course lol.

Maybe well be ready for Carlisle next year lol

Yep, I'm in the same boat as you, this car isn't leaving the garage until I finish everything I planned. Not going to throw it together just to make it to a show. And a 10.5 hour trip each way would be a terrible idea for a maiden voyage anyway, lol.

Definitely will be ready for Carlisle '15, I'll be happy if I get it out for a few local events before the end of the summer at this point.

you two sound like me.  I was just thinking my list was getting short enough to pull the motor and start on the engine bay when I finally decided to move some of the ac crap around to clean it up.  Are you two tired of telling neighbors/friends/the delivery man that its still under construction but getting closer?  I have 3 neighbors that want me to take them for rides when its back on the road as if they are 6 and I am running a circus ride, I don't mind that much hell might need someone to push or steer on the maiden drive right?

• Moderators

I was just telling Bryan that at Carlisle '15 I'm parking my car in the back and throwing mud on it if you two roll in together lol ;)

LOL.  At least you will be there!

I was just telling Bryan that at Carlisle '15 I'm parking my car in the back and throwing mud on it if you two roll in together lol ;)

i don't know what you're talking about.  when that engine bay is finished it's going to be amazing.

• Moderators

The distribution box looks amazing, Dan.  I can't wait to get this far along so that I can pick your brain some more on routing hoses and wiring.  You need a "working" vacation in Tampa soon, right?

you two sound like me.  I was just thinking my list was getting short enough to pull the motor and start on the engine bay when I finally decided to move some of the ac crap around to clean it up.  Are you two tired of telling neighbors/friends/the delivery man that its still under construction but getting closer?  I have 3 neighbors that want me to take them for rides when its back on the road as if they are 6 and I am running a circus ride, I don't mind that much hell might need someone to push or steer on the maiden drive right?

Haha most of my neighbors don't even know I have a mustang. My wife said she was walking the dog one day and one of the ladies across the street asked if I work on cars for a living in our garage, she said "Definitely not, he wouldn't be making any money always working on the same car" LOL

But yes I'm getting tired of telling friends/family how it's still not finished, but I refuse to compromise just to get it done. It will be done eventually, and it'll be everything I want it to be :2thumb:

Haha don't do that, you need to join in on a group picture. Besides I love your car so I wouldn't count yourself out of the cool kids club!

i don't know what you're talking about.  when that engine bay is finished it's going to be amazing.

^ This

Wow don't know how I missed the post with the dist box. Looks tits man. Love the clean wiring too ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Will! It takes a lot of time to run wires nice and neat but it's sooooo much nicer when/if you have a problem to diagnose!

The distribution box looks amazing, Dan.  I can't wait to get this far along so that I can pick your brain some more on routing hoses and wiring.  You need a "working" vacation in Tampa soon, right?

Followed by a stay in VA? ;)

Haha, my wife already gets irritated by me always working on/talking about working on the mustang, if I started going on working vacations to work on other mustangs she'd lose it, lol.

I always need a vacation though, I feel like I haven't relaxed in about 6 months straight.

yea same here they keep asking but keep getting the same answers.  When I think about all the little detail work I am doing that I know will probably never get noticed it makes me wish I just threw it back together all stock last year but I am sure you know enough about that as well.  Lets not even think about that, sorry I brought it up NOTHING TO SEE HERE CARRY ON :)

@Prokiller is opening up shop at his new house dan. we decided you, me and brian will run it. you have been elected to do all labor!!!! 

Well now doesn't that sound tempting.... lol

yea same here they keep asking but keep getting the same answers.  When I think about all the little detail work I am doing that I know will probably never get noticed it makes me wish I just threw it back together all stock last year but I am sure you know enough about that as well.  Lets not even think about that, sorry I brought it up NOTHING TO SEE HERE CARRY ON :)

Yep I sometimes think back to when I drove this car to college with minor bolt ons, exhaust, etc. and how much I got to drive it, how carefree and fun it was, how it could go pretty far without stopping for gas... Then I think about the whine of a procharger, the sound of a lumpy cammed 347 and how my head will explode when I see it laid out on bags and I completely forget about all of those memories LOL

I'm sure it won't go unnoticed. A true enthusiast will look over the car carefully and see the hard work. When I'm at car shows and I see something unique I try to take my time and see what isn't the same. I've had a lot of people at shows ask me about things in a similar fashion!

Well now doesn't that sound tempting.... lol

I would do it in a heartbeat if everyone was serious. Ain't nothing that a bank loan can't fund! LOL

I feel the same way my friends/ family always are asking is the car done yet and I'm like uhh almost. And my girlfriends dads like no you'll never finish that car haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People think the same thing about my car....hear about it....see pictures of it all the time.....but never actually see it Haha if I wasn't working in it every other day I'd think it didn't exist too

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

i'm talking slave driven labor!!! what should take 2 weeks to bag...you have 2 shifts  :angry:

Even more tempting now, lol. ;)

i really feel it is all the small details that not everyone notices that makes a car

I agree completely. Knowing first hand how much time those details can eat up, I really appreciate when I see them on other cars!

I've been asked what this or that cost online/instagram before (specifically the HRE's), I don't like to flaunt how much things cost so I just said to google it lol. I'm not trying to impress people with how much money I have invested. Honestly I stopped keeping track a LONG time ago because if I saw the number I'd probably have a heart attack.

I can totally commiserate with you guys because that shit drives me nuts.  I will say, just amongst car friends I don't really mind sharing ballpark figures on specific items if the person has a genuine interest in doing the same to their vehicle.  But, if they're just being nosy or it is a complete stranger at a show... really, really irritates me.  I build my car to my taste so I can enjoy it.  It's not a, "look at how much money I spent" competition to me like it seems to be for others sometimes.

And just like you guys, I have every single receipt.  I've never added them up, never intend to, and I keep them hidden well out of the reach of the misses.

Started the weekend addressing some exhaust heat, first up was shielding the fuel/brake lines and battery cable where they passed very close to the passenger side muffler. I picked up some Summit Racing Heat Sleeving and cut it down to the length I needed. The velcro closure is really easy to use, but at the ends, the lines spread apart a bit too much for the velcro to attach so I used some stainless safety wire left over from my rotor hardware to hold the sleeve together. This stuff is rated to 1500o so it should be more than enough for my needs.

q2jzf.jpg

em69.jpg

Next up was adding some Heatshield Products HP Heatshield Mat to the floor pan where the cutouts are pretty close. Made some paper templates to plan out my cuts then transferred them over to the shielding. It's adhesive-backed so installation is super easy, then I used some left over Dynamat foil tape on the edges to prevent any fraying of the fiberglass material.

hhy7t.jpg

uz04b.jpg

3tha.jpg

m2xy.jpg

The electric motors and wiring for the cutouts were close enough to the X pipe legs that I wanted to add some insulation to help prevent the heat from taking its toll on them so I picked up some DEI Titanium Exhaust Wrap to keep the temps down. Installation was simple, although I wish I had gotten a bit longer roll so I could have done the entire X pipe. The only complaint I have is the included stainless ties they supplied to secure the ends wouldn't get tight enough regardless of how much I tried, and ended up breaking. I looked around the shop and found a couple stainless band clamps that did the trick. The wrap isn't going anywhere now lol.

lgzi7.jpg

sn3y0.jpg

Then the trunk got some love. You may recall this cardboard mockup I made of the bracket I designed for the compressors from a while back.

3ljn.jpg

I got together with Pete ( @poxenham ) of Fully Torqued Racing who helped me out and water jetted the bracket for me from 0.375" 6061 aluminum. Thanks again Pete! Anyone who needs some custom machining/water jetting, keep him in mind, he can get you fixed up! I put a quick brushed finish on it, it'll be staying brushed, I just need to hit it a few more times with a sanding block to get the brushing to look consistent.

btnh.jpg

5yc6.jpg

The first step for my plan to mount it was to pull the tank and the tank clamps out and drill and tap two holes for a couple M8x1.25 allen bolts

4zxk.jpg

txky.jpg

Then mocked everything back in place to double check clearances and such

7eol.jpg

a65pj.jpg

ttmy.jpg

d0gm.jpg

Then added the compressor brackets and sat the compressors in place

bkck.jpg

869z.jpg

You may notice the row of 5 mounting holes along the middle bottom area of the bracket, that was the next thing to address. My first thought was to just weld a bar between the two bent frame tubes and run bolts/nuts through that. But in the interest of easy disassembly/reassembly I changed the design a bit to make things easier on myself in the future.

Cut a piece of flat bar to length, then welded nuts onto the back of the middle 3 holes.

7f2k.jpg

4pk5r.jpg

The outer two holes bolt to two tabs that will be welded onto the frame tubes in the trunk.

ahrp.jpg

Welded the tabs in place (fiberglass welding blanket FTW)

f6kg.jpg

xo5m.jpg

Then finally mounted everything

8vi7.jpg

yukj.jpg

95y0l.jpg

ebv7.jpg

t0oi.jpg

You probably noticed the blank area in the middle of the bracket, that will be home to an OCD Fabworks logo. I finalized a logo a while ago, and I have something in the works to mount to the middle of the bracket. Stay tuned for more on that soon. Next thing I need to do is start figuring out what fittings I need for the tank, etc. I got word from @Carbon Driven that the E3 management will be coming off his shelby in a couple weeks (I'm buying it from him) and @torched03mach tells me that I should have the new Shockwaves in hand very soon, so hopefully I'll be making some good progress on this air ride in the near future!